Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
ryan_570

Loc: UK
Advice on mixing
      #1044346 - 21/04/13 04:40 PM
Hi,
I'm currently feeling a bit unhappy with my mixes and so looking for some guidance.
I don't want to tell you what I'm not happy about, or what gear I've used as I'm looking for unbiased truth from fresh ears. Harsh as you like.
The most recent one I did was for a Nepalese guy. First time he'd recorded so nothing too mean about him please.
Cheers.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Alibi Productions

Loc: Widnes, Cheshire (UK)
Re: Advice on mixing new [Re: ryan_570]
      #1044358 - 21/04/13 05:59 PM
Hi Ryan,

after a first listen the immediate things that spring out to me are the timing of certain parts could be tighter ie. an offending note on the guitar at the beginning and some kick drum hits a bit further. The guitars feel like they've been overly high cut filtered (maybe allow them a bit more top end up to 8khz perhaps) and the vocals in the mellower parts feel too soft. I'm sure a few of the more experienced guys will prob chime in with a bit more feedback soon.

Cheers,

Dave

--------------------
follow me on SoundCloud: AlibiProductions

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1044359 - 21/04/13 06:02 PM
Typing as I listen...

There is too much going on in the lower mids. You need to clean things up down there. The mix sounds congested.

There's not much high end in anything. The drums and guitars seem to be suffering most. The snare is on its way to a nice sound, but it's all 'donk' and no top. The hi-hat and kick are all but lost in the mix when everything gets going. There's also a bit too much 'room' in the drums for my liking. I'd dry them up, if possible, but I'd also consider a plate reverb to help out.

The guitars have no 'bite' and are intruding on the bass. The bass itself seems not too bad, but might need some of the boom removing.

The vocals are out of tune in places - they really need fixing. They are also probably a bit loud in places in the context of this style of music. In other places it seems like they could stand a lift.

A few timing discrepancies between guitar/bass/drums. Hopefully these can be fixed with some simple editing.

I like the mid-section's distorted/delayed vocal. It works really well.

There are some tuning problems going on during the guitar solo - and that solo meanders around looking for something interesting to say. It needs re-thinking IMO - does it need to be there at all? If it does need to be there then it should do something to pull us along. At the moment it's just going nowhere and so it feels gratuitous.

Overall the mix is getting there, but it (and the arrangement) needs cleaning up.

HTH!

(I was in Nepal a couple of years ago - a fascinating country and some incredible people)

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

ryan_570

#1044506 - 22/04/13 02:44 PM
Hey,
Thanks very much for your time to help.
Very interesting points I really agree with the snare comment. Just had a question for 'The Elf' You mention
Quote:

The hi-hat and kick are all but lost in the mix when everything gets going.

Is that a type-o? I was surprised to read that.
Its in fact the guitars that annoy me the most, so I'm glad you both picked up on that. The lack of bite that you mention I think connected with too much roll off at the top.
As for the arrangement. This is the 1st song he'd written. It started off as at 8mins that had only 2 parts and a solo of about 64 bars! I tried to explain to him about structure and I found it quite hard to change his 'baby'. I think he learnt a lot about arranging and why its so important. I learnt how hard it is to change peoples work.
Yea he was a great dude though!

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1044511 - 22/04/13 03:29 PM
Quote ryan_570:

Hey,
Very interesting points I really agree with the snare comment. Just had a question for 'The Elf' You mention
Quote:

The kick has lots of thump, but no click and the hat just gets swamped. Listen to the first verse - as soon as everything hits the hat is lost. Maybe this is a buss compression reacting to the volume of the bottom end of the kick?

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

ryan_570

Re: Advice on mixing new [Re: The Elf]
      #1044521 - 22/04/13 04:08 PM
Quote The Elf:

Quote ryan_570:

Hey,
Quote:

The kick has lots of thump, but no click and the hat just gets swamped. Listen to the first verse - as soon as everything hits the hat is lost. Maybe this is a buss compression reacting to the volume of the bottom end of the kick?

Cool yea I didn't think you meant all But lost. That makes scene. Hi hat gets very quiet by the end of the verse, I think I did remove some top from the kick too.
Cheers

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
4 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 1271

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media