Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
MitchT

Loc: Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
Should I buy some Sennheiser HD650s?
      #1044396 - 21/04/13 10:44 PM
I currently live in a tiny rented house with paper thin walls. Because it's rented I can't make the physical changes required to sort out the acoustics or add the soundproofing needed to spare the neighbours the trauma of listening to me mixing music loudly for hours on end, so I'm hoping a good pair of headphones will enable me to record decent quality demos. I know that monitoring through loud speakers is the optimum way to go, but that's just not an option right now, for the above reasons.

I Googled and stumbled across a SOS article from 2010 which pretty much indicated that the Sennheiser HD650 would be the right headphone for me. I understand that open back headphones give a truer sound and, as I make all of my music in LogicPro using software synths, I don't need to worry about the issues that would otherwise affect users of open back headphones.

My aim is to get my tracks as close to perfect as possible at home to minimise the time that I need to spend in a rented professional studio getting the mix perfect, as money is tight. Am I right in thinking that the Sennheiser HD650s are the right tool for this task?

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
www.mitchthompson.co.uk

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Should I buy some Sennheiser HD650s? new [Re: MitchT]
      #1044408 - 22/04/13 05:10 AM
Well I enjoy the HD650s, but at here are other options as well and no doubt you'll get a few suggestions here.

Open back are better for mixing.

Of course, it's not necessary to mix at 'loud' levels, many people, myself included, prefer to work at more subdued levels.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1044412 - 22/04/13 06:13 AM
You can't really buy something like this solely on a magazine review - you have to try them if you possibly can.

I spend my days mixing on headphones and my favourites by far are the AKG K701/702.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
      #1044426 - 22/04/13 08:25 AM
Quote MitchT:

I currently live in a tiny rented house with paper thin walls. Because it's rented I can't make the physical changes required to sort out the acoustics or add the soundproofing needed to spare the neighbours the trauma of listening to me mixing music loudly for hours on end, so I'm hoping a good pair of headphones will enable me to record decent quality demos. I know that monitoring through loud speakers is the optimum way to go, but that's just not an option right now, for the above reasons.

I Googled and stumbled across a SOS article from 2010 which pretty much indicated that the Sennheiser HD650 would be the right headphone for me. I understand that open back headphones give a truer sound and, as I make all of my music in LogicPro using software synths, I don't need to worry about the issues that would otherwise affect users of open back headphones.

My aim is to get my tracks as close to perfect as possible at home to minimise the time that I need to spend in a rented professional studio getting the mix perfect, as money is tight. Am I right in thinking that the Sennheiser HD650s are the right tool for this task?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, the 650s are good, as are also the HD 600 and AKG K701/702 - take your choice.

Or go higher to the HD 700 or HD 800 - I now use the HD 800 myself - a large step better than the 600 and 650 (the 700 is about half way between the 650 and 800).

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Sam Inglis
SOS Features Editor

#1044427 - 22/04/13 08:31 AM
The HD650s are nice, but you will need a pretty decent headphone amp if you want to run them loud. The K702s are great value for money I think. I don't regret buying my Shure SRH1840s, which I think are better than either, though not cheap.

buggymusic

#1044429 - 22/04/13 08:52 AM
They are great headphones - I sometimes find it hard to judge the bottom end on them - good for detailed editing and revealing

StevoDaDevo

Loc: UK
      #1044466 - 22/04/13 11:51 AM
The HD650's are great for mixing, and very comfortable.

I recently bought the Sennheiser Momentums too, which a more punchy and direct. I think that they are more accurate too.

They are closed back headphones, which the wife appreciates as the HD650's leak a lot, being open backed.

If you want to use them whilst commuting etc, they keep a lot of ambient noise out and are smaller than the 650's, so look less nerdy / muggable.

They are not as comfortable as the 650's though.

There's only about £20 between them, which is nothing at this price range.

--------------------
What would Bob Clearmountain do?

Andi

Loc: Berkshire, UK
      #1044484 - 22/04/13 01:16 PM
I love my HD650s, but have a read of this

Headphones: The Sound inside your head

--------------------
Andi, www.thedustbowlaudio.com Mixing, Mastering, Audio Editing (and articles) at The Dustbowl Audio

fay spook

#1044497 - 22/04/13 01:54 PM
The HD650s will be great. But use this chance to listen to a range of headphones. In these glory days of headphones you might find others you like. As every manufacturer is making headphones nowadays the choice is almost endless. The high end European models tend to be open and the high end Japanese tend to be closed. Obviously both have their merits and a lot of people here prefer open however I am sure if you polled another group you would get another set of answers.

If you want some headphones that do low end well try some Grados. If you want some real transparency try some Stax. Or some of the new planar types or some armature in ears??? It costs nothing to audition and you can learn a lot (or get confused!). You need to physically try headphones to make sure they are comfortable. Also you need you know your audio interface will drive the headphones you choose. Or are you relying on the headphone output of your Mac? If so think where a limit to sound quality could be........

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/for-mash-get-ash

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1921

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media