Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Headphone amps of media players
      #1046017 - 01/05/13 12:05 AM
I've recently been comparing the headphone outs of my iPod, cd Walkman through headphones and speakers.

My question is how do they deal with the audio signal and how are cheaper ones differ
from the more expensive ones?

The first generation iPod produces some great mid range sounds when put through an expensive amp and Martin audio speakers whereas my Sony cd Walkman D NE800, is absolutely beautiful in all ranges over my sound MDR Headphones (a very balanced sound). Further to that a couple of cheap cd Walkmans are quite harsh and fluffy in the bass.
How is the sound affected by the amps?

Is there any info on how these are built and what they look like?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The_Big_Piano_Player

Loc: Lincolnshire
Re: Headphone amps of media players new [Re: ]
      #1046035 - 01/05/13 07:18 AM
The iPod uses a Wolfson DAC, if I remember. These are quite reasonable for a portable device, but the compromise will always be the limited power available to them.

If you're wishing to listen to your iPod through an external amp, your best bet is to buy a compatible external DAC.

--------------------
Touch & Go

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Headphone amps of media players new [Re: ]
      #1046091 - 01/05/13 11:21 AM
Quote Music Manic:

How is the sound affected by the amps?

It's about everything that makes up good analogue circuit design, really. The DAC employed will make some difference, especially if you are talking about a very early CD walkman before the days of delta-sigma DACs, but in general the DAC performance will exceed the analogue circuitry performance and isn't the weak link at all.

The problem with the analogue circuitry in something like an iIPod is that the power supply capacity is pretty limited, and so the circuitry has to be desigend to run on very low power levels. The power rail voltages aren't usually very high, which limits headroom, and the available current is low too. Feeding an external preamp with a line level signal is easier than driving headphones, but often the only output is through the headphone socket and an often less than stellar headphone amp stage!

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 662

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media