Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
yeahtuna

Looking for feedback on a rock / country ballad
      #1046025 - 01/05/13 05:32 AM
Hi, this is my first time posting in this forum. I've been working on some tracks for a client and I'm close to rapping things up. I was hoping for a little advice in regards to the mix and possibly what I could do with a little mastering. I'f really appreciate any and all feedback.

[url=http:// www.audiofront.net/sea.mp3]Sea[/url]

In particular these are some of the questions rattling around in head.
  • Is there too much reverb?
  • Is the vocal sitting properly?
  • How are the dynamic and ambience on the bass drum. Is it doing what it's supposed to?
  • In two or three places the piano plays a few melodic runs that seem to jump out through the mix and sound a bit fake. Would you edit these out?

Regards,
    Rob

• Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
    yeahtuna

Re: Looking for feedback on a rock / country ballad new [Re: yeahtuna]
          #1046027 - 01/05/13 06:37 AM
    It doesn't seem like the link worked.

http://www.audiofront.net/sea.mp3

Sea

Edited by yeahtuna (01/05/13 06:39 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
    The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
          #1046037 - 01/05/13 07:26 AM
    It's a good week for forum mixes! This is a great little song, performed beautifully and recorded very well. Joy!

Quote yeahtuna:

• IMO definitely not. What I feel is missing is the long 'backdrop' reverb/delay that sets the depth of the mix. You don't need much of it, and it needs to be used sparingly, but it suggests depth. The tiniest hint on vocal would give it that 'superhero' sense of space that I think could help here - maybe a little dash on other instrumentation where they need to shine.

Quote yeahtuna:

• It's just dipping in and out a little too much for me. I like parallel compression on vocals, and it's definitely something I try when I'm 80% there, but needing a little more solidity. I think it could work well here. Failing that just be a little braver with the vocal, either with a harder/second compression, or with automation. There's nothing about the vocal that needs to be hidden, so let it stand in the spotlight.

Quote yeahtuna:

• How are the dynamic and ambience on the bass drum. Is it doing what it's supposed to?

• At first I thought the kick was a bit too prominent in the mix, but as the song progressed it blended back and lost my attention, suggesting it was probably OK. Maybe hold it back a few dB until the arrangement blossoms? I'd have it a bit drier too. I'd also consider adding a fuller drum part (snare, hat, cymbals...) - the song would take it, and by the end I think it would help the feet to tap.

Quote yeahtuna:

• In two or three places the piano plays a few melodic runs that seem to jump out through the mix and sound a bit fake. Would you edit these out?

• I wouldn't remove them, but I would push them back with EQ and reverb.

For me this mix is all about finding front-to-back depth.

HTH!

--------------------
    An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Sam Inglis
    SOS Features Editor

#1046061 - 01/05/13 09:09 AM
    Quote yeahtuna:

In particular these are some of the questions rattling around in head.

• The reverb is fairly obvious, but it's not in Fleet Foxes territory yet -- if you like it, keep it.

Quote yeahtuna:

• There are places where I'd like to hear the lead vocal a little louder. The backing vox are perhaps a touch too loud, for me.

Quote yeahtuna:

• I'd like to hear the bass drum be louder but less subby. At the moment I think it probably sticks out too much on a system with good LF extension, but it would be nearly inaudible on something like an Auratone.

Quote yeahtuna:

• They sounded all right to me.

The main thing I don't like about the instrumentation is the nasty DI'd acoustic guitar sound. Am I right in thinking there's a bit of the miked sound in there as well? If so, how does it sound when you use just the mic?

yeahtuna

Re: Looking for feedback on a rock / country ballad new [Re: Sam Inglis]
          #1046264 - 02/05/13 01:12 PM
    Thank you guys for taking the time to listen and provide feedback.

Quote:

...maybe a little dash on other instrumentation where they need to shine.

I'm always leery about using too much reverb but I agree that at very least the slide guitar could use more depth. I'll try something.

Quote:

There are places where I'd like to hear the lead vocal a little louder. The backing vox are perhaps a touch too loud, for me.

I have automated the vocal level a bit already and I think towards the end of the track I might have brought it down a little too low. I see what you're talking about on the backing vocals. I like them prominent but there are a few places where they're too much. I'll have to put some automation in there too.

Quote:

I'd like to hear the bass drum be louder but less subby. At the moment I think it probably sticks out too much on a system with good LF extension, but it would be nearly inaudible on something like an Auratone.

This is a BFD2 kick. I spent a lot of time trying to get that sound to feel right, but I agree that on some systems like my tablet for example, it's nonexistent. I'd try to boost the highs to bring out the beater a bit more.

Quote:

The main thing I don't like about the instrumentation is the nasty DI'd acoustic guitar sound. Am I right in thinking there's a bit of the miked sound in there as well?

You're not right about there being a miked sound in there, but I wish you were. The track was recorded live in the studio and I wasn't expecting to be recording any acoustic instruments. We just didn't have time to set it up properly.

Thanks again for your suggestions. They give me some good direction going ahead.

Regards,
    Rob

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
          #1046404 - 03/05/13 08:36 AM
    Quote yeahtuna:

Quote:

The main thing I don't like about the instrumentation is the nasty DI'd acoustic guitar sound. Am I right in thinking there's a bit of the miked sound in there as well?

You're not right about there being a miked sound in there, but I wish you were. The track was recorded live in the studio and I wasn't expecting to be recording any acoustic instruments. We just didn't have time to set it up properly.

Hmmm... There's ALWAYS time to set it up properly if you're going to let it loose to the world!

I actually like the acoustic guitar sound and I suggest keeping it as it is! For me it has that Ovation 'twang' that I really like! Each to his own, I suppose!

--------------------
    An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Madman_Greg

Loc: The back of beyond
    Re: Looking for feedback on a rock / country ballad new [Re: The Elf]
          #1046421 - 03/05/13 09:58 AM

I think the acoustic sound is a matter of taste. It’s not my cup of tea personally.

If rerecording in a studio is not an option. Perhaps the guitarist could record a double track of a very clean DI electric guitar (full sounding like a stat) and mix the two together. See what that sounds like.

--------------------
    Madman_Greg

yeahtuna

Re: Looking for feedback on a rock / country ballad new [Re: The Elf]
          #1046471 - 03/05/13 02:25 PM
    Quote The Elf:

Hmmm... There's ALWAYS time to set it up properly if you're going to let it loose to the world!

...except when you're recording on your wife's birthday.

Quote The Elf:

I actually like the acoustic guitar sound and I suggest keeping it as it is! For me it has that Ovation 'twang' that I really like! Each to his own, I suppose!

Thank-you, now I don't feel so guilty.

Rob

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
    1 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts 
    Forum Permissions
          You cannot start new topics
          You cannot reply to topics
          HTML is enabled
          UBBCode is enabled
    Rating:
    Thread views: 1019

May 2014
    On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
    SOS Web Shop)
    SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
    Click image for May 2014
    DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
    The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media