Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
BlueGuy

Loc: Sweden
Fighting haas effect mono problems successfully
      #1047288 - 09/05/13 12:03 PM
On my current dance track mix I used the haas effect on a sustained "cyclic" organ sound, which sounded awesome in stereo but really weakened it in mono. (I used the haas effect on many other sounds as well, but this important lead sound suffered unacceptably.) I read up on and tested different battle tactics for better mono, such as different delay times or adding pitch-shifted delays but nothing seemed to work.

I finally got acceptable results by mixing in a multed version of the organ in the centre, and re-balancing everything by slightly lowering the centre volume and also lowering the volume slightly on the channel with the haas effect. The stereo effect is slightly less impressive, but the mono sound is much improved.

It's probably not news for most of you but hopefully it'll help someone!

I found some interesting thoughts about the haas effect on different types of sounds (futureproducers.com), and also an interesting discussion with contradictory opinions about mono compatibility importance for today's dance music (gearslutz.com).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
SafeandSound Masteri...

Loc: London UK
Re: Fighting haas effect mono problems successfully new [Re: BlueGuy]
      #1047308 - 09/05/13 02:23 PM
Mono compatibility is as important as much as it ever was.

There is a caveat though and that is... if you know for sure your music will not be played on FM radio, through mono PA systems, in store hi fi and these mini speakers attached to a phone :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004DJMQ06/?tag=hydra0b-21&hv...

If your music is going places it will be.

Most mono compatible mixes sound better in stereo too, though that is a little more subjective.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering

Bossman

Loc: UK
Re: Fighting haas effect mono problems successfully new [Re: SafeandSound Mastering]
      #1047331 - 09/05/13 04:53 PM
Quote SafeandSound Mastering:

Most mono compatible mixes sound better in stereo too

+1

--------------------
www.Lozjackson.com

shurikt

Loc: Las Vegas
      #1047336 - 09/05/13 05:23 PM
Quote BlueGuy:

I found some interesting thoughts about the haas effect on different types of sounds (futureproducers.com).

That futureproducers thread is fascinating. Thanks for sharing!

BlueGuy

Loc: Sweden
Re: Fighting haas effect mono problems successfully new [Re: SafeandSound Mastering]
      #1047504 - 10/05/13 09:35 AM
Quote SafeandSound Mastering:

Mono compatibility is as important as much as it ever was.

If your music is going places it will be.

Most mono compatible mixes sound better in stereo too, though that is a little more subjective.

Very good points. And yes, I'm hoping my music's going places.

Also interesting proposition about mono compatible mixes sounding better in stereo. Kind of reverse thinking but I can see the idea. Stereo trickery is trickery, after all.

SafeandSound Masteri...

Loc: London UK
      #1047546 - 10/05/13 02:10 PM
I think the current stereo image debate is sparked by a few dubstep producers who use especially wide sections of a track as an accent and to good effect. Hats off to them because it is in fact some damn fine production trickery in some respects. Of course when one highly esteemed producer goes others will attempt to follow by whatever means available, with varying results. This "extension" of what is typically acceptable may be down to the use of just a short section as an acceptable effect or the acceptance of less than ideal collapse to mono overall.

Of greatest importance is knowing, rather than guessing or being in ignorance of the consequence of any techniques employed when mono summed. That way you are making a real judgement on what you find acceptable for your musical results, no one has the right other than yourself to be the judge of that.

I personally always double check this stuff with the musician/producer in a mastering context just to make sure it is not in error and that it is intentional. Sometimes it is exactly how it is meant to be and sometimes the person has not checked mono at all or are even aware it is a good thing to do. In all cases so far people have been happy it has been identified and discussed.

cheers

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1068

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media