Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Imran500

What studio amps do you use for monitoring?
      #1047888 - 13/05/13 11:19 AM
Just wondering how much you need to spend for a decent monitoring amp - I don't particularly want to go too far over 200 quid. What gear do you guys use? Any thoughts on the ART or Samson Servo ones?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: What studio amps do you use for monitoring? new [Re: Imran500]
      #1047905 - 13/05/13 12:11 PM
Quad 405-2 - they're getting on a bit now and some people find them too laid back but they're much better than an equivalently priced Samson. I'd still like to try building an amp from some Hypex modules though, as that would give an extremely high quality amp for just a few hundred pounds.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

fay spook

Re: What studio amps do you use for monitoring? new [Re: James Perrett]
      #1047908 - 13/05/13 12:26 PM
Dont forget the world of hi-fi and a second hand bargain from that world. Something like a NAD, Cyrus or Cambridge Audio will get you want you want. The Samsons are not great, I know as we have them at work.

If you are able to build a Hypex and dont fancy class D try a Gainclone. I use one at home and they are great value. Fleabay will get you a Chines sourced one for about £25 a channel amplifier boards only. They arent the most powerful but for nearfield or with sensitive speakers that will be OK.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/for-mash-get-ash

Sam Inglis
SOS Features Editor

#1047910 - 13/05/13 12:31 PM
I'm using an old NAD Monitor Series 2100 with my NS10s. It sounds OK but is quite big, gets quite hot and can be a bit temperamental. Might look for a class D amp to replace it some time.

ronmac

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: What studio amps do you use for monitoring? new [Re: Sam Inglis]
      #1047913 - 13/05/13 12:47 PM
I was fortunate to score a used Bryston 2B for a steal (much less than your budget!), so bargains are possible buying used gear.

Using a Hafler P3000 to power a secondary monitor pair. They are much easier to find used in your budget range.

Imran500

#1048005 - 13/05/13 08:57 PM
Cheers for the replies - interestingly I currently use an old Cambridge Audio amp, I assumed a hi-fi amp would be inferior as it's not dedicated to audio mixing/ recording applications?

Matt Houghton
SOS Reviews Editor

#1048019 - 13/05/13 09:48 PM
I'm using a Dynaudio-badged DCA650 made by MC2. But that's probably over budget. I drive some secondary monitors with old hifi amps by Rotel (RA611 & 612) and they're decent and affordable if you find them in good nick. But buying older gear like this can be something of a lottery...

Jorge

Loc: New York, NY
      #1048033 - 14/05/13 02:58 AM
Nearfields:
I disliked Samson Servo 240 and repurposed a very old Adcom GFA-555. Probably available used well under your budget. Dynaudio BM6 monitors.
Old Crown K1 into homebuilt 12" sealed subwoofer (Linkwitz Thor box with Ashly XR2001 crossover)
No fans, excellent sound, low distortion, lots of headroom, no limiters on amps but I never turn it up over 85 dBA at 4 ft, usually 75-80 dBA at 4 ft.

Club type monitors (when not gigging), used for rehearsing, checking club sound of mixes, they are inappropriate for mixing and not as flat as nearfields in small studio:
EV QRX112/75 with QSC PLX1804 amp through Xilica XP4080 DSP with EV presets, HPF @ 90 Hz.
JBL PRX618XLF subwoofer.
Power amp in next room, fans are loud.
I rarely turn it down below 85 dBA at 8 ft.
9-10 bales of Roxul mineral wool strategically placed in 13x15 ft studio.

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
Re: What studio amps do you use for monitoring? new [Re: James Perrett]
      #1048077 - 14/05/13 10:11 AM
Quote James Perrett:

Quad 405-2 - they're getting on a bit now and some people find them too laid back but they're much better than an equivalently priced Samson.

Personally I now use active monitors, so don't need a separate amp.

However - I would agree with James and say that the Quad 405-2 is still a superb amp.

I would not call it "laid back" though, just "clean and accurate".

I bought my Quad 44/405 back in the mid/late 1970s later getting the conversion to the 405-2 when it came out. I still have them and would never sell them.

The BBC used the 405 as a standard monitor amp. for years.

Once bought, never regretted.

So, for a superb amp. at an affordable price, a s/h Quad 405-2 is a no brainer - get one.

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

fay spook

#1048138 - 14/05/13 02:06 PM
You wont get many Adcoms or Haflers over in the UK. But you can add to Rotel to the list of good cheapies, once part of the Rank EMI group of all things.

I am not a massive fan of the QUAD. But to those who are, what are you opinions of the replacement/upgrade boards? One of the problems with the 405 was that for modern standards it is built to a price. Look at the PCBs etc. There is mileage here. (A shame because they are very attractive amps along with the 44s). Because they are QUAD (great service department we were always told by customers when we were QUAD dealers.......) there is a premium on their price and you might have to look a bit to get one for £200.

--------------------

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Re: What studio amps do you use for monitoring? new [Re: fay spook]
      #1048273 - 15/05/13 09:51 AM
Quote fay spook:

I am not a massive fan of the QUAD. But to those who are, what are you opinions of the replacement/upgrade boards?

The change between the original 405 and the 405-2 was excellent - and the 405-2 can drive difficult loads better than the original.

But the change to the -2 version was back in the 1970s and not that long after the original came out.

The Quad philosophy at the time was a piece of wire with gain - ie: just amplifying without changing the sound in any way.

--------------------

Persian Bit

Loc: Tehran \ IRAN
      #1048275 - 15/05/13 10:00 AM
Been using active monitors for a few years [mackie, Genelec] but before that, I was using seperate amp and monitor setup for along long time. I like the shortage of cables and amp and everything in active monitors [and the controls they offer to match with room acoustics], but I still prefer the old shool sound.

For a decade I used NS10s with some old tube marantz amplifire and it used to sound just amazing [mainly used for pop and rock mixing]. many people used to argue about NS10's hard midrange, but when powered by a strong amp, they sounded just good. Those lush woofers really need strong power to drive.

I had another setup with same kind of old hi-fi amps with JBL monitors, and they matched pretty well.

These days most people stick to most high end, newest and expensive amps and speakers. But you can find a lot of old great sounding amplifires at a funny low price and match them with your passive monitors and get a great sound. of course you'll need a good ear and some research.

fay spook

Re: What studio amps do you use for monitoring? new [Re: John Willett]
      #1048320 - 15/05/13 03:13 PM
Quote John Willett:

The change between the original 405 and the 405-2 was excellent - and the 405-2 can drive difficult loads better than the original.

But the change to the -2 version was back in the 1970s and not that long after the original came out.

The Quad philosophy at the time was a piece of wire with gain - ie: just amplifying without changing the sound in any way.

No, not the factory update but the 3rd party upgrades produced more recently. Something like this

quad board

I understand what they said (or what Peter Walker said?) but you know there is a lot more to amplification than increasing the gain of a signal. How about driving tricky loads such as........ an electrostatic speaker? If your amps cant deal with the capacitive load etc........ and I do love an ESL

--------------------

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

#1048377 - 15/05/13 08:35 PM
Quote fay spook:

Quote John Willett:

No, not the factory update but the 3rd party upgrades produced more recently. Something like this quad board

I understand what they said (or what Peter Walker said?) but you know there is a lot more to amplification than increasing the gain of a signal. How about driving tricky loads such as........ an electrostatic speaker? If your amps cant deal with the capacitive load etc........ and I do love an ESL

Well - the Quad 405 was designed with electrostatic loudspeakers in mind as Quad already made them and the 405 came out at about the same time as the FREDs (ESL 63 - Full Range Electrostatic Doublet).

I think it was some dynamic loudspeakers that the original 405 was not so happy with (eg: the Linns I think), hence the -2 version.

--------------------

4TrackMadman

#1048397 - 15/05/13 10:03 PM
Alesis RA150 for monitoring amp. On the other one I use an old Panasonic desktop component stereo that has MD line-in.

--------------------
www.descentintomadness.com

fay spook

#1048520 - 16/05/13 02:36 PM
Quote John Willett:

Well - the Quad 405 was designed with electrostatic loudspeakers in mind as Quad already made them and the 405 came out at about the same time as the FREDs (ESL 63 - Full Range Electrostatic Doublet).

I think it was some dynamic loudspeakers that the original 405 was not so happy with (eg: the Linns I think), hence the -2 version.

Thanks for replying . I do know quite a bit about QUAD history, I do understand that from about 1957 their amps have been expected to drive ESL speakers. My point was others haven't. Much as a lot of amps couldnt drive Apogee ribbons. And 405s couldnt drive Isobariks (or the big IMFs). Describing an amplifier requirement as a straight wire with a gain misses so much about amplifier design.

The 405-2 came out with the 63s. Neither versions drove the ESL particularly well, hence me not being a fan. I know I heard a lot of them. And versions with Audio-Pro and Gradient subs. Some "active mini-monitor" fans could do well to listen to some old ESL, from the QUADs, Stax and Janszen to Martin Logan hybrids, ML pure ESL and I hear good reports of Kingsound etc. Also isodynamics from Magnepan

--------------------

Trevor Johnson

#1048540 - 16/05/13 04:48 PM
I bought my Quad 405, the 'original' version new at the end of 1978 from J.G.Windows in Newcastle and there were a pair of the new ESL 63s in at the time, which I listened to. They may have been driven by a 303 which worked very well with the first Quad electrostatics, the ESL 57. The problem with those early Quad 57 and 63 electrostatic speakers was the very wide load impedances, they presented, typically from 1 to 35ohms and the 'original' 405 current limiter didn't help much in that respect. The 303 was much better at driving the impedances it was presented with.

My 405 is still doing well after a rebuild (due another soon), but has spent its whole life driving a pair of Spendor BC1s.

Trevor

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

#1048634 - 17/05/13 08:00 AM
And I still remember hearing the magic of listening to a stacked pair of the original Quad electrostatics

Now, that was .............................

--------------------

Trevor Johnson

#1048766 - 17/05/13 07:20 PM
Yes, stacked electrostatics are stunning. Alastair Robertson-Aikman, the founder of SME had a famous listening room, which I believe is still at the SME works in Steyning. There are four pairs of stacked ESL 63s, one pair of stacks facing the listeners and the other pair behind them at right angles.

Trevor

fay spook

#1048883 - 18/05/13 05:15 PM
Dont forget these 63s were in massive machined braces/stands. Using SMEs engineering prowess. Never been to their factory so I can't comment much further.

Mark Levinson of the eponymous company started with stacked QUADs. Not sure if this was before or after he was with Kim Kattrall. How about that fact fans!!

--------------------

wayn ker

#1048914 - 18/05/13 10:45 PM
Creek 4140

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2747

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media