Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
molecular

Loc: north a bit, west a bit
Forcing a 48Khz unit to run at 44.1Khz
      #1052772 - 16/06/13 05:39 PM
I remember reading a post by Hugh somewhere on this forum that suggested that a digital unit that was specified to only run at 44.1Khz could actually run at 48Khz if it was given WC input as the difference was quite small and this specification only really refers to what the devices internal clock operates at...

I have the opposite plan, which is basically that I have an Aphex 142 AD which "only operates at 48Khz". It's not a problem really, although it has been an inconvenience. But I recently added an M Audio Octane to the rack which has a WC output, so I'm wondering can I slave the Aphex to the Octane and successfully force it to run at both 44.1 and 48?

The other complication is that I'll be using the WC out from the Octane, even though I won't actually be feeding the ADAT out from it to my interface, and I have a 002R with no WC in or out ... so the route will be WC out from the octane via a T-junction to the aphex 142 and an audient mico. Aphex 142 to 002R ADAT IN and mico to SPDIF IN. Slave the 002R to the ADAT IN.

Is there any aspect of this (especially the sample rate issue) that just isn't going to work?

Thanks!

--------------------
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja
http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: Forcing a 48Khz unit to run at 44.1Khz new [Re: molecular]
      #1052877 - 17/06/13 10:09 AM
Unless you can find someone else who has used the Aphex in this way, you are probably best off just trying it. If the Aphex has a suitably wide clock bandwidth you'll be OK although I might be tempted to use the Mico as the sync reference in the full system as it will probably be happier at 44.1kHz.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1052932 - 17/06/13 03:09 PM
Aphex do seem pretty adamant that the 142 will only run at 48kHz, even when externally clocked. It really all depends on how wide the slave-lock window is on the Aphex's PLL, and the only thing you can do is try it and see if clocking at 44.1 produces a stable 44.1 output.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

molecular

#1052947 - 17/06/13 04:35 PM
Give it a go it is then!

I'll try and remember to post back what happens...

But the Mico has no BNC out, so I'll have to use the Octane as the master clock. Is that what you meant?

Cheers!

--------------------

damoore

Loc: New Hampshire
      #1052964 - 17/06/13 06:42 PM
Even if it looks like it is working, you may still get the occasional click. That, at least was my experience when I accidentally set my QS8 to one rate and my interface to the other (this was syncing to the ADAT output on the QS8)

Note too that if you switch to the internal clock, say when mixing, you will be back to 48Khz, so everything will be way sharp.

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1053074 - 18/06/13 09:36 AM
Quote molecular:

But the Mico has no BNC out, so I'll have to use the Octane as the master clock. Is that what you meant?

I meant slave the 002 to the spdif from the Audient rather than the possibly dodgy output from the Aphex.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

molecular

Re: Forcing a 48Khz unit to run at 44.1Khz new [Re: James Perrett]
      #1053335 - 19/06/13 10:01 PM
Quote James Perrett:

Quote molecular:

I meant slave the 002 to the spdif from the Audient rather than the possibly dodgy output from the Aphex.

James.

Gotcha.

Today I learnt two things...

1. It doesn't work. Just a horrible mess of clicks coming back from the Aphex and the LED goes a funny colour that's not described in the manual, which I can't imagine is ever a good sign, so I'll be a 48K man only for a while. Worse things happen at sea, at least I'm getting my money's worth of IO for a while.

2. When splitting BNC cables, buy cables with L-shaped connectors at one end. I found a way of making it all fit eventually, but it's not pretty back there.

Thanks for the tips!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
3 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 854

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media