Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
vinyl_junkie

Loc: Kent, UK
High and low impedance headphones of same model?
      #1059438 - 26/07/13 11:37 PM
So was looking at getting some closed back headphones for the studio and noticed few come in either a low ohm load i.e. 30/80ohms and also higher loads like 250 ohms versions.

Just wondering why?
Obviously the lower ohm ones are easier to drive but what are the advantages of the higher impedance ones?

Some one I knew once had AKG-240's, both the 55ohm and 600ohm versions and said he preferred the 600ohm version.

Looking at the Beyer DT-250's not sure which version to get basically...

Edited by vinyl_junkie (26/07/13 11:53 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
Re: High and low impedance headphones of same model? new [Re: vinyl_junkie]
      #1059444 - 27/07/13 06:01 AM
Quote vinyl_junkie:

So was looking at getting some closed back headphones for the studio and noticed few come in either a low ohm load i.e. 30/80ohms and also higher loads like 250 ohms versions.

Just wondering why?
Obviously the lower ohm ones are easier to drive but what are the advantages of the higher impedance ones?

Some one I knew once had AKG-240's, both the 55ohm and 600ohm versions and said he preferred the 600ohm version.

Looking at the Beyer DT-250's not sure which version to get basically...

Once upon a time ALL serious "studio" headphones were nominally 600 Ohms, probably as a legacy of 600Ohm "matching" but they had the advantage that they could be jacked across a low impedance line level source for checking. Most "pro" sources are <100Ohms and should be able to drive 600R with minimal distortion although it would probably not be wise to leave them connected across a mission critical line such as a recording path!

Then came transistorized domestic amps and some ignorant so and so "invented" eight Ohm cans! The rot was further set in by the all conquering Pod.

It is a general rule of audio that distortion rises into lower loads so pick the highest Z cans you can...But only if the headphone amp can supply enough volts!

I have asked before somewhere but there must be an optimal Z for headphones?

Dave.

nathanscribe

Loc: Yorkshire, by 'eck.
      #1059450 - 27/07/13 08:07 AM
I've got the 80-Ohm DT-250s, and they require a good volume drop when plugging them directly into synths. I suppose it depends what you're going to use them for.

vinyl_junkie

#1059454 - 27/07/13 08:37 AM
Thanks for the input guys. After doing some further research on this it does seems that the higher impedance ones seem to be the better choice if the amp can drive them or so the consensus seems to be.

I used to have HD-25's in the past which I had from when I was DJ'ing but they got stolen years ago and replaced them with some Technics DJ model.
For DJ'ing they are perfect or tracking in the studio when you need a closed back can but for any critical listening and/or late night tune making not so good.

Basically I tend to work most of the time at unsociable hours of the day so having the speakers on at 2am is kinda of a no no.

As to what I will be plugging them into... Don't laugh but a Panasonic SV-3800 DAT machine which I've only really been using for the headphone out and the digital output as I find the headphone amp on my Mackie SR-32-4 VLZ Pro mixer totally pants, ok the mixer is too but it sounds better from the main outs imo

Edited by vinyl_junkie (27/07/13 08:38 AM)

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1059464 - 27/07/13 10:20 AM
Low-impedance models are generally better suited to portable and battery-powered equipment, while high-impedance versions are better suited to mains-powered devices with higher power rail voltages. Low-impedance models will also tend to sound louder than high-impedance modesl when driven from the same headphone amp.

Quality-wise, there shouldn't be much in it from the headphone point of view, but amps designed to drive high-impedance phones are generally better performing than amps designed for low-impedance phones.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

vinyl_junkie

Re: High and low impedance headphones of same model? new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1059467 - 27/07/13 10:48 AM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Low-impedance models are generally better suited to portable and battery-powered equipment, while high-impedance versions are better suited to mains-powered devices with higher power rail voltages. Low-impedance models will also tend to sound louder than high-impedance modesl when driven from the same headphone amp.

Quality-wise, there shouldn't be much in it from the headphone point of view, but amps designed to drive high-impedance phones are generally better performing than amps designed for low-impedance phones.

H

Thanks Hugh,

The SV's manual states a max output level of 30mw+30mw (32ohms) and Impedance matching: 8-600 ohms. No where does it state the output impedance or anything else really but at a guess should be ok at driving a 250 ohm load.

Goddard

#1059474 - 27/07/13 11:57 AM
You might check the "Headphones" section of Hugh's SOS article on impedance here, although I see that Hugh has already responded with a summary.

FWIW, been plugging 600-Ohm DT770s into all sorts of gear for years without problems. Surprisingly, they came wired with a 1/8" mini-plug plus a screw-on 1/4' plug adapter. Dunno if a 600-Ohm version is still even offered though.

vinyl_junkie

Re: High and low impedance headphones of same model? new [Re: Goddard]
      #1059478 - 27/07/13 12:56 PM
Quote Goddard:

You might check the "Headphones" section of Hugh's SOS article on impedance here, although I see that Hugh has already responded with a summary.

FWIW, been plugging 600-Ohm DT770s into all sorts of gear for years without problems. Surprisingly, they came wired with a 1/8" mini-plug plus a screw-on 1/4' plug adapter. Dunno if a 600-Ohm version is still even offered though.

Ahh superb, great article!

On a side note my friend has some HD-600's which from memory are 300 ohms and I never encountered issues round there when using them

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1059521 - 27/07/13 09:38 PM
I've had a variety of headphones with impedances ranging from 600 ohms down to 8 ohms and never really noticed that much difference. Ok, so the 8 ohm headphones were generally poorer quality as most manufacturers just chucked a transistor radio speaker into an earpiece and I've overheated a few current limiting resistors when driving them hard but most headphone outputs have a high enough impedance to prevent them being ludicrously loud.

The 600 ohm headphones may have been slightly quieter but at least I could use them for signal tracing when repairing gear. I bought them because I have a couple of bits of gear that are designed for use with high impedance headphones - although I've subsequently found that they still seem to work OK with lower impedance phones as well.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1076

April 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for April 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media