Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
SafeandSound Masteri...

Loc: London UK
RSI sufferers.. good mouse product discovery
      #1060363 - 02/08/13 10:03 AM
So my rather pricey Quill (Aerobic) mouse was on the way out (won't track properly anymore) £100.00

I researched some options and came across something I liked to try out and it's good.

The unlikely titled "Anker" mouse,

Unfortunate name jokes aside, almost as funny as the SPL MasterBay S (currently awaiting a model T ) It is is 80pct as good as the Quill mouse currently retailing for 8 x the price, now that is what I personally call a bargain ! (on extra special offer of £11.99 at the mo.)

Available from our somewhat controversial friends at Amazon...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Vertical-Ergonomic-Optical-Ver...

This mouse actually has a higher quality feel than the expensive quill mouse, nicely weighted, soft touch surface, nice button sensitivity, well packaged. I suspect for those not used to a vertical mouse this will initially be slightly less alien in feel than the Quill mouse.

Of course if you have RSI go to a physiotherapist but this is a good starting point IMO.

All the best with it if you give it a try.

SafeandSound Mastering
Album mastering - dedicated to mastering

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Red Mastering

Loc: London
Re: RSI sufferers.. good mouse product discovery new [Re: SafeandSound Mastering]
      #1060421 - 02/08/13 03:38 PM
thx for info Barry,
I bought it on amazon to see how it works.
Currently using kensington 'express mouse' track ball. It indeed is the best thing I ever used, yet after long hours of use (including short breaks for exercise) - my hand feel a bit tired.
I will try this one and get back with short review.
Ta

--------------------
online mastering
audio mastering

R_A

Re: RSI sufferers.. good mouse product discovery new [Re: SafeandSound Mastering]
      #1060578 - 04/08/13 07:31 AM
I had relief of symptoms with:

http://mice.productwiki.com/microsoft-natural-wireless-laser-mouse-6000/

--------------------
Ambient / Classical Composer

ManFromGlass

Loc: In the woods in Canada
      #1060617 - 04/08/13 01:37 PM
I have a vertical mouse, a regular sized wired mouse, a trackball and a small wireless mouse all connected at once. I did have that wireless track pad but hated it. I switch up every few days and I find it really helps my RSI. But 12 to 14 hour sessions take their toll. I even switch between the over-hyped/priced Aeron chair and a good quality kneeling chair which helps my back endure any necessary long hours. A wrist brace does help the RSI, as does getting the hell out of the chair and stretching or taking a quick walk. It goes without saying that all this after learning the proper suggested ratios of chair height to desk height to computer monitor height etc. I liked that post about keeping a tv turned on in the corner with the sound turned off in the room. It pulls your eyes and head away from always looking forward, and we do forget to turn our heads, keep our shoulders down and sometimes even breathe during focused work.

Eric

G-Doubleyou

#1060651 - 04/08/13 05:28 PM
The problem is pushing/pulling moving an object around for long periods of time.

I use Apple's Magic Trackpad, it's a glass topped bluetooth trackpad, like on a laptop.

You only move your fingers, no stress on the hand wrist joint.

There are plenty of Windows versions available.

Previously I used a Wacom pad and stylus for navigation.

--------------------
G-Dub
Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

grab

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #1060671 - 04/08/13 08:51 PM
Alternatively, the problem may not be the mouse, it may be bad posture. If you've not seen a physio, do.

Also check your wrists. A *lot* of desks (I'd go so far as to say most desks) have quite sharp right-angle edges on them. If you're resting your wrists on the edge of the desk, that right-angle digs into all the nerves and tendons, which is very much ungood. Official advice is not to rest your arms on the desk. So then you get shoulder strain from supporting your arms out in front of you for hours at a time. Yeah right.

The best solution I've found is a desk with a return, and sit in the corner with the monitor at 45 degrees to both sides. You push the monitor right back of the desk, and your keyboard and mouse go a long way back too - a good foot or more. Then your elbows rest on the desk and return, your wrists don't touch anything, and you're sorted.

Next best solution is a chair with adjustable armrests. Same principle, except you use the armrests for support.

Both those suggestions come without any guarantee of success, sensibleness or medical competence, of course. All I can say is that I used to have problems with my arms, and I don't any more.

Dynamic Mike

#1060687 - 05/08/13 12:28 AM
I agree with Grab, much of this is probably triggered by bad posture & positioning. Most of the pain I get is actually in my elbow, not my wrist or hand. Unfortunately for those of us looking for a left handed solution there is far less choice available. I normally use a wireless keyboard, a separate wireless number pad (so I can place it on the left) & a bog standard MS comfort mouse also on the left. The keypad doubles up as Cubase controller which is really handy for recording/mixing duties & saves stretching. A chair with arms isn't an option if you play a lot of guitar but I do have a very deep desk which helps.

Recently things have been getting worse so I though I'd try a trackball. This is definitely helping, although being a leftie means the scroll wheel works back to front (you can change most options in the software but unfortunately not this). Finally getting to the point, whilst it's too late to start using a mouse right-handed, I'm gonna give the trackball a try on the right. For some reason I feel I might be able to adapt to this & I've noticed most right handed people who normally moan about my mouse being on the left are fine with the trackball being there. If you've never used a trackball, buy one & try using it on the left.

--------------------
Disclaimer: The views or opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the poster by the time you read this.

SafeandSound Masteri...

Loc: London UK
      #1060702 - 05/08/13 08:11 AM
Different symptoms and probably causes for different people. I was given some nerve stretches by my physio which are very good. My condition is largely under control with usually only minimal ache by the end of the week, fortunately. I went through a freelance employment period with a post production company where I was mainly editing and that started the situation off.

The Quill mouse absolutely made a big difference to my situation, the difference between working and not, along with my physio visits.

Red Mastering

Loc: London
      #1061868 - 13/08/13 05:09 PM
got he mouse,
it's def too small for my large hands:)
been using it for a week, so maybe it's too early to say
but good and inexpensive 'second/ mouse (as main one I use kensington trackball)
the truth is you need to make breaks and exercise or you gonna have suffer...
sometimes it's tough to have a break, I try to do break every few hours,
5-10 min exercise, making a tea and stretching,
cigarette break, etc:)
you can grab a small ball and exercise by squeezing it for example

--------------------
online mastering
audio mastering

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1267

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media