Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Phil Ward

Exporting MIDI from Pro Tools
      #1060481 - 03/08/13 09:13 AM
All,

I'm struggling with exporting a MIDI track from Pro Tools 9 so it can be imported into Logic. The snag is that despite the fact that the PT session is free running (i.e. it's not fixed to a click or a session time base), when I export the MIDI track it appears to pick-up to the session default tempo. What am I doing wrong?

Phil

--------------------
Freelance audio product designer/writer
www.philward.biz

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Phil O

Loc: Scotland
Re: Exporting MIDI from Pro Tools new [Re: Phil Ward]
      #1060482 - 03/08/13 09:44 AM
There has to be a tempo for the work that comprises the PT session. It might not be fixed or regular but it exists.

If you want the exported midi to have something other than the default, then the PT session needs to reflect this.In effect, you are 'telling' PT what tempo information to embed in the midi file.

If the tempo is irregular, then I would create a tempo map allocating numerical values to particular sub sections be that beat, bars etc.

Phil Ward

Re: Exporting MIDI from Pro Tools new [Re: Phil O]
      #1060584 - 04/08/13 08:37 AM
Thanks Phil

That's what I feared and I guess it's obvious really. Trouble is, the track in question has some big tempo swings (some intentional!), one of which happens while the drums aren't playing, so I've no idea how I'll get a valid tempo map out of it - other than I guess manually marking the start of every bar. Hmmmmm.

P

--------------------
Freelance audio product designer/writer
www.philward.biz

Exalted Wombat

#1060589 - 04/08/13 10:15 AM
Quote Phil Ward:

Thanks Phil

That's what I feared and I guess it's obvious really. Trouble is, the track in question has some big tempo swings (some intentional!), one of which happens while the drums aren't playing, so I've no idea how I'll get a valid tempo map out of it - other than I guess manually marking the start of every bar. Hmmmmm.

Yes, that's how you do it. And it isn't as laborious as you may imagine.

I don't know ProTools or Logic, I'm a Cubase user. But the procedure must be basically the same. You drag a bar-line to align with a beat in the audio. If the tempo is very fluid you may have to aligh every bar, or even every beat. If it settles into a groove you may only need to tweak alignment every 8 or 16 bars.

But ask yourself - why does the sequence HAVE to align with the grid? Were you thinking of doing something mechanical to it?

chris...

#1060592 - 04/08/13 10:27 AM
I've never used Protools, but pretty sure with any other sequencers, it'd just be case of setting the destination sequencer tempo to whatever the source sequencer is set to.

So if the stuff was recorded with the source sequencer set at 120bpm, then set the destination sequencer to 120bpm too.

What am I missing ? Is Protools somehow different ?

DC-Choppah

Loc: MD, USA
      #1060693 - 05/08/13 02:00 AM
When recording 'free form' MIDI performances, where no click was used to lay down the tracks, set the track type to 'sample-based' instead of 'tick-based'.

Then just use the same sample sample rate for the session you want too import the tracks into.

This is the general way to use PT for free-form material. Make all tracks sample based.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1049

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media