Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
intgenx

Loc: Bangalore, India
Genelec G Four (8040) vs Neumann KH310 vs DIY Active speakers
      #1066359 - 15/09/13 07:57 AM
Folks,

After much thought and consideration and demo of various brands both active (Dynaudio, Focal, ADAM, Mackie, Event) and passive (B&W, Golden Ear, Boston Acoustic, Yamaha, Harbeth, Martin Logan, Sonus)... I had narrowed down my selection to the Genelec G Four (8040) for the LCR and G Three (8030) for surrounds...

now an unexpected decision point has come-up...
due to the sudden fall of the Indian Rupee and pre-existing stock (before the fall) and more willingness of the Neumann dealer to negotiate etc... it turns out that I could get the Neumann KH310 at just about 28% more than the Genelec 8040... (all inclusive cost in Indian rupees after delivery, duties and VAT etc)..

KH310 is a 3 way (about US$2100) and is normally double the price of the 2 way Genelec 8040...(about $1050)
A dealer who sells both brands does concede that he prefers the Genelec as it has a very low failure rate and very few warranty claims - as compared to other brands...

this presents me with the dilemma of which one to go for...

in addition - since I've been quietly working on learning the ins-and-outs of a DIY sub-woofer - I've also been toying with the idea of making my own active... mains...and have some tantalizing ideas in mind...

for eg. : a coaxial 2 way driver powered by tube amps... will look really cool.

one of the expert dealers here has suggested that if I'm doing a DIY sub - I should probably go with DIY mains and surrounds as well - as that will help me keep the performance and voice consistent - there is no point in having very high end pro mains and a DIY sub...

any thoughts on ideas on this from the esteemed members of this great forum would be greatly appreciated...

thanks in advance and warm regards...
Which active speakers to get for mains
You may choose only one
Genelec G Four (8040)
Neumann KH310 (costs about 28% more for a short while)
DIY Active speakers (pl. suggest high-quality drivers, crossovers and amps)

Votes accepted from (15/09/13 12:00 AM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this Poll

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
intgenx

Re: Genelec G Four (8040) vs Neumann KH310 vs DIY Active speakers new [Re: intgenx]
      #1066728 - 17/09/13 08:13 PM
Folks,

I'm having to make the decision in the next 2 days as the deal ends and the Neumann KH310 goes back to about 75% more than the Genelec 8040 and the whole question becomes irrelevant...

Will appreciate a bit more votes... opinions and suggestions...

btw: the only reason the DIY option has come-up for the mains is because one of my long time associates is a pro-audio dealer/installer and he has friends who are a speaker designer / builder and the other an electronics expert. I should be able to reach out to them for guidance/collaboration in the DIY... and without them... the most ambitious I would think of would be a DIY sub...

Thanks in advance...

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Genelec G Four (8040) vs Neumann KH310 vs DIY Active speakers new [Re: intgenx]
      #1066735 - 17/09/13 08:29 PM
I am be wrong -- and no offence intended -- but it seems highly unlikely to me that you would have the requisite technical ability, experience or measurement facilities to come anywhere close to those available to the designers of monitor speakers of the calibre of the Genelec or, especially of the Neumanns. DIY speaker design can be fun and educational, but it is very hard to match what the pros can do, especially if your looking for a compact monitor.

If the kh310s re available at a special price, you'd be a fool to ignore it -- they are remarkable value at the full price, and i don't say that casually.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

intgenx

#1067458 - 24/09/13 08:57 AM
Thanks Hugh... for the replies...

The update is - I've decided not to go for a DIY active 2way or 3way... the most I should attempt is a DIY active subwoofer...

The decision on Genelec 8040 vs Neumann KH310 is actually a bit more complex because the KH310s dealer has sold out of his demo piece too due to the special pricing -and so I have to place the order "blind" (or in this case "Deaf") based on price and other factors...
the KH310 costs around $2100 and the G4 around $1400 (both prices after shipping, taxes, duties etc). Price-wise (310 is priced about 45-50% higher) and Specs-wise (2way vs 3way)- it is not a fair comparison at all... The comparison is coming in only because the KH310 is at a special price (about 30% discount from the before exchange rate fall prices) while the Genelec has increased the price due to the fall of the rupee and also apparently due to price increases from Genelec, Finland...

Now to the decision: the Genelec clearly has the advantage in the looks, reliability and 5 year warranty ... whereas the Neumanns are a 3 way (I can play music without the sub... and otherwise not sure how much better the 3ways make the Neumann better than a 2way Genelec) and offers only a 2 year warranty...
I've been trying to get a better warranty from the dealer and lets see how that goes and I will be making a decision as soon as I get some movement on that...

Studio Support Gnome
Not so Miserable Git

Loc: UK *but works all over the pl...
      #1067485 - 24/09/13 11:53 AM
take the 310 and get on with it.... at the discounted price, they're an absolute no-brainer.

--------------------
Don't get the hump when i tell you it's going to be expensive, it's not my fault , you picked the site/building/room â

intgenx

#1067766 - 26/09/13 11:27 AM
Folks,
Thanks to all your inputs - I'm now going for the KH310 for L/C/R.
I need to make a decision on the surrounds (RR/RL) as a similar (but not as great a deal) is available for KH120 as well.

My choice is between a Neumann KH120 (for about $700 each) vs Genelec G Three or 8030 (for about $900 each)... after duties, taxes and shipping.

Normally these speakers are priced about the same... the present price difference is due to the Neumann dealer retaining the pre-rupee fall price for a limited period and Genelec increasing the price.

Thanks again folks...

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1067768 - 26/09/13 11:31 AM
Quote intgenx:

I need to make a decision on the surrounds (RR/RL) as a similar (but not as great a deal) is available for KH120 as well.

You'd be bonkers to choose anything other than the KH120s.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Studio Support Gnome
Not so Miserable Git

Loc: UK *but works all over the pl...
Re: Genelec G Four (8040) vs Neumann KH310 vs DIY Active speakers new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1067786 - 26/09/13 01:19 PM
agreed..... KH all the way..... do not mix and match ..... (ideally get 2 more 310's but if you have to cut costs, then the 120's will do . )

--------------------
Don't get the hump when i tell you it's going to be expensive, it's not my fault , you picked the site/building/room â

intgenx

#1070645 - 17/10/13 05:08 AM
Folks,
The KH310 for L/C/R has arrived.
Absolutely can't wait to let it rip...

As I've blown way past (300%) of my original budget just for the LCR... I'm yet to decide/get the surrounds (KH120 vs 8030) and sub (DIY) - I'll add them may be next year - if the debt ceiling is raised by my one-woman-congress...

I'm now looking for a cheap/used AV processor 2.1 ch or 5.1ch or 7.1ch. or 9.1ch... whatever I can find..

even HDMI is optional...

problem is... the used equipment market in India is practically non-existent...
any ideas?

Edited by intgenx (17/10/13 05:14 AM)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
4 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4034

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media