Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Imran500

Should I upgrade my Beyerdynamic DT 880s?
      #1069762 - 10/10/13 07:26 PM
Seeing as I'm going through a thorough upgrade of my gear, my headphones have come to mind. I don't have a treated room so can't use the monitors so was wondering if these cans cut the mustard.
Should I shell out for something superior?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
Re: Should I upgrade my Beyerdynamic DT 880s? new [Re: Imran500]
      #1069766 - 10/10/13 07:37 PM
Quote Imran500:

Seeing as I'm going through a thorough upgrade of my gear, my headphones have come to mind. I don't have a treated room so can't use the monitors so was wondering if these cans cut the mustard.
Should I shell out for something superior?

There are some 990s out now, but I don't know how much if any better than the 880s they are (I've got a pair of 880s).

The 880s are open-backed, so at least theoretically you could get some bleed into a mic if you are tracking with them on. I've got a pair of 770s for that purpose.

As I'm not in a position to use near fields, I am dependent on cans also. I kind of like alternating the two when I mix ... for some reason they sound different than each other, which is worrisome if I start to think too hard about why that might be. Be that as it may, it's nice from a mixing point of view, it's like the headphone equivalent of a 2nd set of monitors!

As far as whether spending more on a different brand will be a good investment, those who have made the comparison will chime in with help soon, I'm sure.

Have you seen this yet SOS Headphone Shootout, Jan 2010 ? It's getting a bit old, but still helpful perhaps.

Also, Martin Walker's great Mixiing On Headphones article ...

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase 6.5.0/SX3.1.1.944, XP SP2, 4GB RAM (1GB not accessible, but used just to balance the computer so it doesn't tip over); Delta 66 in Omni i/O Studio; Motif8; UAD-1

mjfe2

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Should I upgrade my Beyerdynamic DT 880s? new [Re: alexis]
      #1069799 - 10/10/13 09:53 PM
Quote alexis:

There are some 990s out now, but I don't know how much if any better than the 880s they are (I've got a pair of 880s).

The 880s are open-backed, so at least theoretically you could get some bleed into a mic if you are tracking with them on. I've got a pair of 770s for that purpose.

Beyerdynamic's model numbers are confusing because the 880s are actually their flagship studio cans. The 990s are priced more like the cheaper 770s. I tried the 880s but didn't like the highest highs because they seemed a bit sibilant. Settled on Sennheiser's HD600, which are darker sounding but in terms of detail didn't seem any better.

Sure you can get more expensive cans (e.g. beyer do a 'T1') but personally I can't imagine headphones sounding much better than the ones we're talking about. Also, I know plenty of pro classical engineers making records today who are still happy with their HD600/650s so I can't see myself ever upgrading.

Slash7

#1069907 - 11/10/13 05:30 PM
I think it also depends on the music genre you work.
But in general these headphones are good

--------------------
slash7

Imran500

#1070252 - 14/10/13 11:35 AM
After all of that I'm actually using DT770s

bonesinc

Loc: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
      #1070641 - 17/10/13 01:18 AM
I have a couple of different headphones and I find that, for mixing, the DT-770 is a bit too heavy on the low end for me. But if you know your headphones really well and you listen to your music through them you might want to stick to them.

I use a pair of Fischer Audio FA-003 headphones for mixing duties. I do most of my mixing on my near-field monitors but for things like checking the low end and cleaning up tracks the Fischers are indispensable for me.

What is currently feeding your headphones? My experience is that a dedicated headphone amplifier can make a positive audible difference over most integrated headphone outputs. For example the low end sounds much more solid on my DT-770 with a separate headphone amplifier instead of using just the headphone output of my audio interface. It's not just speakers that like a bit of power driving them.
Try listening to the same song(s) from different headphone sources and I think you'll hear differences.

Matt

Karl H.

#1070880 - 18/10/13 07:01 PM
I am using DT770s, and I noticed a huge difference when I switched soundcards. Before, I was using a Delta1010 LT card, and was monitoring through a cheap Behringer mixer as the soundcard only had line outs. Then I replaced that with a MOTU 2408 mkII, which has a dedicated headphone output. The MOTU is relatively high-end compared to the Delta1010, and the sound quality difference over the headphones was huge. I'm not particularly golden-eared, but the MOTU brought out lots of more details. Possibly a good dedicated headphone amp will be even better.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1063

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media