Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Gerhard Westphalen

Loc: Calgary, Canada
Noise Laws
      #1070330 - 14/10/13 06:39 PM
I looked up the noise laws for my city in order to make sure that I wasn't breaking them in the summer when I listened to music at night with my window open. Here is what it says on the city website:

No person shall cause or permit to be caused a continuous sound that exceeds
(a) 65 decibels (dBA) measured over a one (1) hour period during the day-time; or
(b) 50 decibels (dBA) measured over a one (1) hour period during the night-time;
No person shall cause or permit to be caused a non-continuous sound that exceeds:
(a) 85 decibels (dBA) measured over a period of 15 minutes during the day-time; or
(b) 75 decibels (dBA) measured over a period of 15 minutes during the night-time;

What I'm confused about is where are these levels measured? Is it at the edge of my property?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Noise Laws new [Re: Gerhard Westphalen]
      #1070342 - 14/10/13 07:49 PM
Probably, yes. Property boundary is a common measurement point, or the boundary of a neighbour (which is usually the same thing).

It will be an LAeq measurement, which is an continuous measurement averaged over a set time -- an hour in this case.

The non-continuous figures are probably intended for machinery, hammering and things like that.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Gerhard Westphalen

Re: Noise Laws new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1070375 - 15/10/13 01:54 AM
Ok, thanks. In that case, I'm definitely within the law. Those values seem to be fairly high.

G

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1070382 - 15/10/13 09:10 AM
There may be other laws that govern the noise levels inside neighbouring properties. In the UK, your local council's environmental health department will be the people to talk to.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1070383 - 15/10/13 09:12 AM
Could we know the city?

Dave.

Gerhard Westphalen

Re: Noise Laws new [Re: ef37a]
      #1070431 - 15/10/13 01:15 PM
I'm in Calgary, Canada. I got that information off of the city website.
Regardless, I would stay well below those levels as common courtesy to neighbors since I think those levels are fairly high.

G

Exalted Wombat

#1070436 - 15/10/13 01:49 PM
Quote Gerhard Westphalen:

I looked up the noise laws for my city in order to make sure that I wasn't breaking them in the summer when I listened to music at night with my window open. Here is what it says on the city website:

(a) 65 decibels (dBA) measured over a one (1) hour period during the day-time; or
(b) 50 decibels (dBA) measured over a one (1) hour period during the night-time;
No person shall cause or permit to be caused a non-continuous sound that exceeds:
(a) 85 decibels (dBA) measured over a period of 15 minutes during the day-time; or
(b) 75 decibels (dBA) measured over a period of 15 minutes during the night-time;

What I'm confused about is where are these levels measured? Is it at the edge of my property?

I imagine they are taken at any position another resident chooses to measure them, inside HIS property. One hopes the results are subject to common-sense interpretation, to avoid situations such as the woman who complained about a neighbour's nudist activities, which were visible with binoculars if she stood on the wardrobe :-)

ef37a

Re: Noise Laws new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1070438 - 15/10/13 02:14 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote Gerhard Westphalen:

I imagine they are taken at any position another resident chooses to measure them, inside HIS property. One hopes the results are subject to common-sense interpretation, to avoid situations such as the woman who complained about a neighbour's nudist activities, which were visible with binoculars if she stood on the wardrobe :-)

Common-sense indeed E.W!
That 85dB daytime limit would be very hard to stay under with any guitar amp rig bigger than about one watt unless the offended party was quite a ways away!
And no doubt the lawyers will be on a nice little earner arguing "Daytime is Nightime"???

Dave.

Exalted Wombat

#1070441 - 15/10/13 02:22 PM
Well, there IS a fair argument that a "guitar rig" in not something that should be inflicted on a neighbour with any regularity, at any level!

ef37a

Re: Noise Laws new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1070444 - 15/10/13 02:53 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Well, there IS a fair argument that a "guitar rig" in not something that should be inflicted on a neighbour with any regularity, at any level!

I quite agree but kids WILL want to practice and a local 90-100dB is not all that loud....To them!

Dave.

SOS Technical Editor

#1070445 - 15/10/13 02:58 PM
Quote ef37a:

That 85dB daytime limit would be very hard to stay under with any guitar amp rig bigger than about one watt unless the offended party was quite a ways away!

Er... it is a limit for 'non-continuous sound' which is probably a Gemanglish translation for the 'Impulse sound' condition detailed in the Euro-legislation. And these figures are almost certainly talking about LAeq measurements gathered over a 1 hour time period.

It would need to be a pretty chunky guitar amp, in the garden, with pretty nasty sustained power chords strummed for a solid hour to achieve anything like that LAeq reading at the edge of a property boundary....

And if the OP was achieving that no one with ears would object to the neighbours getting a lynch mob together to deal with the offending antisocalist guitarist anyway!

Quote:

And no doubt the lawyers will be on a nice little earner arguing "Daytime is Nightime"???

I expect the appropriate local noise legislation will have that defined precisely already...

H

--------------------

SOS Technical Editor

#1070447 - 15/10/13 03:02 PM
Quote ef37a:

I quite agree but kids WILL want to practice and a local 90-100dB is not all that loud....To them!

Quite so... but (a) you're talking about instantaneous SPL, not LAeq, and (b) that would be inside a practice room (hopefully) with the doors and windows closed, and (c) the measurement point would (hopefully) be many metres away.

H

--------------------

ef37a

#1070448 - 15/10/13 03:02 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Quote ef37a:

Er... it is a limit for 'non-continuous sound' which is probably a Gemanglish translation for the 'Impulse sound' condition detailed in the Euro-legislation. And these figures are almost certainly talking about LAeq measurements gathered over a 1 hour time period. it would need to be a pretty chunky guitar amp with pretty nasty sustained power chords for an hour to achieve that at the edge of a property boundary.... in which case the neighbours would be duty bound to lynch the offending guitarist anyway!

Quote:

I expect the appropriate local noise legislation will have that defined precisely already...

H

Yup, that's all fine Hugh so long as you get the right people and not some job'sworth.

(I still remember the Leeds debacle you see!)
Dave.

SOS Technical Editor

#1070450 - 15/10/13 03:27 PM
It's Germany, the European heart of efficiency

H

--------------------

ef37a

#1070452 - 15/10/13 03:35 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

It's Germany, the European heart of efficiency

H

Thought OP said he was in Canada?
Dave.

SOS Technical Editor

#1070454 - 15/10/13 03:54 PM
Sorry -- my bad! I was working under the delusion that these were based on euro laws... all bets are off!

H

--------------------

The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
      #1070457 - 15/10/13 04:28 PM
Obviously it couldn't be Germany, because then daytime and night-time would be clearly defined, as would the method of measurement, the body permitted to make those measurements and the name and type of equipment used to make those measurements. Also, the exact position outside the property making a noise where such measurements are to be made is also defined.

It is all laid out quite clearly in the Bundesgesetz zum Schutz vor schädlichen Umwelteinwirkungen durch Luftverunreinigungen, Geräusche, Erschütterungen und ähnliche Vorgänge.

Though usually it is just known as the Bundesimmissionsschutzgesetz for short.

It is outlined here in simple terms that you all should be able to understand -

German legal web page

Studio Support Gnome
Not so Miserable Git

Loc: UK *but works all over the pl...
      #1070562 - 16/10/13 03:48 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Quote ef37a:

And if the OP was achieving that no one with ears would object to the neighbours getting a lynch mob together to deal with the offending antisocalist guitarist anyway!

well y'all talk big, but you've never turned up at my door to back it up

--------------------
Don't get the hump when i tell you it's going to be expensive, it's not my fault , you picked the site/building/room â

ef37a

Re: Noise Laws new [Re: Studio Support Gnome]
      #1070564 - 16/10/13 03:57 PM
Quote Studio Support Gnome:

Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Quote ef37a:

well y'all talk big, but you've never turned up at my door to back it up

Hey! That wasn't me!

Dave.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1489

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media