Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
CS70

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Video killed the radio stars - kick and bass
      #1072686 - 31/10/13 08:48 PM
Just tried a mix for one my band's new songs on various players.. on the grotbox I had an ipad attached with my "oldies and goldies" list. I often use it to compare "real world" levels - especially the drums and vocals balance - with some stuff I like the sound of.

Picked up, randomly, "Video killed..": I had never noticed how much kick drum and bass is there! My reference for the song we're mixing, if there is any, is Foo Fighter's "The Pretender", which has kinda the kick-ass rock feeling I'm after. Well, bass and kick levels are nothing compared with the old Buggles hit. Is it just my grotbox?

Completely different genres and eras of course, but I'd thought in a rock song you'd have much more power stuff going on, and louder. But the Fighter's song gets completely overpowered in the comparison.

Or maybe I just drank too much wine

--------------------
http://www.silver-spoon.org - It's just music
..and the FB page

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Richard Graham

Loc: Gateshead, UK
Re: Video killed the radio stars - kick and bass new [Re: CS70]
      #1072688 - 31/10/13 09:16 PM
Quote CS70:

Just tried a mix for one my band's new songs on various players.. on the grotbox I had an ipad attached with my "oldies and goldies" list. I often use it to compare "real world" levels - especially the drums and vocals balance - with some stuff I like the sound of.

Picked up, randomly, "Video killed..": I had never noticed how much kick drum and bass is there! My reference for the song we're mixing, if there is any, is Foo Fighter's "The Pretender", which has kinda the kick-ass rock feeling I'm after. Well, bass and kick levels are nothing compared with the old Buggles hit. Is it just my grotbox?

Completely different genres and eras of course, but I'd thought in a rock song you'd have much more power stuff going on, and louder. But the Fighter's song gets completely overpowered in the comparison.

Or maybe I just drank too much wine

It's the magic of Trevor Horn at work. Plus, I've noticed the way rock is mixed, often seems to sheer the bottom end away. Makes for a louder, more aggressive sound, I suppose.

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

molecular

Loc: north a bit, west a bit
      #1072781 - 01/11/13 03:32 PM
That's very odd - that song came on in a cafe I was in this morning, and I remember being suddenly struck by how loud the bass was. So no, you weren't drunk (or you weren't *only* drunk)...

--------------------
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja
http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Billum

Loc: London
      #1072795 - 01/11/13 04:34 PM
You know how if you get the guitarist to mix the song the guitars always end up just that little bit too loud? Well, Trevor was the bass player!

Also, in this very illuminating article from some esteemed journal, Gary Langan, the mix engineer, says: "We'd do a mix and three or four days later Trevor would go, 'It's not happening. We need to do this and we need to do that.' The sound of the bass drum was one of his main concerns, along with his vocal and the backing vocals. It was all about how dry and how loud they should be in the mix without the whole thing sounding ridiculous. As it turned out, that record still had the loudest bass drum ever for its time."

Ant Gamble

#1072930 - 02/11/13 10:20 PM
It's those 80s mastering guys....the 'loudness wars' hadn't started, therefore the drums and snare really punched through.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep11/articles/loudness.htm

Chaconne

Loc: Oxford
      #1073068 - 03/11/13 10:34 PM
The bass is lovely as well, both the spare punctuations in the "what did you tell them..." sections as well as just the mid range 8ths in the chorus - cut right through. A very 'British' sound I have always coveted.

That song seamed like the template, and the financial backing for all that was to come.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 1347

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media