Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
xtratorque

Loc: Boston MA
Duplicating an entire song to fix volume?
      #1072877 - 02/11/13 10:40 AM
Hi everyone I'm about to begin mastering an EP and I'm having a problem with two of the songs. The mixes are fine but they're both very low in volume, I'm talking aroud -40. The first one is a piano ballad with vocal, piano and strings, no drums. The second is a synth based like soundscape with electric guitar, bass, a kick drum and synth. In order to get up to a target volume of -14 or -12 should I double the entire song in Pro Tools and place a Lo Pass Filter on of them to get rid of any rumble? I'd go back and increase the output for the virtual instruments but the mix files have been lost? Any thoughts?

--------------------
www.houseofallseasons.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Exalted Wombat

Re: Duplicating an entire song to fix volume? new [Re: xtratorque]
      #1072879 - 02/11/13 11:15 AM
If it's still in multitrack you can normalise the audio tracks up (or use the track Gain controls, which does the same thing) then remix against the MIDI. If it's already mixed, just normalise the whole thing to a suitable level - is there any reason why peaks shouldn't approach 0 ? - and see what it sounds like. You could also try raising the level using a compressor - but use the gain control more than the compression ratio!

Noise floors on today's digital systems are pretty low. But it still IS possible to record too far down. If bringing up the level increases noise unacceptably you'll have to decide whether you want to start turd-polishing or admit you botched the session and start over. It may be inconvenient, and you'll look bad. But do you want the best result or not?

We've all spent hours trying to rescue our own recording cock-ups. Sometimes it works... :-)

Remember that 90% of the work was deciding WHAT to do. Re-doing it, at the right levels, won't be that hard.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Duplicating an entire song to fix volume? new [Re: xtratorque]
      #1072883 - 02/11/13 11:46 AM
Quote xtratorque:

...should I double the entire song in Pro Tools and place a Lo Pass Filter on of them to get rid of any rumble?

Don't understand the thinking behind 'double the entire song'. If you mean copy it to another track and running it alongside the original, that will only provide a 6dB increase in level. The better plan would be to simply use the normalise tool to raise the level of the entire track to something more appropriate.

If, having done that, you feel that there is excessive rumble or other unwanted background noise then you'll have to think about using filters or some form of single-ended noise reduction scheme to improve things.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

xtratorque

Loc: Boston MA
Re: Duplicating an entire song to fix volume? new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1072950 - 03/11/13 03:58 AM
Thanks for the great responses everyone. I just decided to normalize the tracks. When I wrote the original post it was very early in the morning and I'm still new at this. I appreciate the help a lot.

--------------------
www.houseofallseasons.com

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
3 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 979

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media