Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Scramble

Native Instruments sale
      #1076888 - 30/11/13 10:32 AM
Native Instruments are having a sale on at the moment, so products like Kontakt 5 are really cheap (even cheaper if you already own some NI stuff).

I'm not saying this because I'm a great NI fan, but if you have the full Kontakt then you can get things that are great, like Hollowsun's instruments and sounds.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
Re: Native Instruments sale new [Re: Scramble]
      #1076918 - 30/11/13 04:29 PM
Quote Scramble:

if you have the full Kontakt then you can get things that are great, like Hollowsun's instruments and sounds.

How very kind of you to say, Scramble

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

Richard Graham

Loc: Gateshead, UK
      #1076934 - 30/11/13 08:55 PM
Thanks Scramble. Just upgraded to Komplete 9 for a mere 65 quid. Looking forward to Abbey Road 60s drums and Studio Drummer, especially.

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

oggyb

Loc: Leeds, UK
      #1076954 - 01/12/13 12:39 AM
60s and studio drums are wicked, but are not for every project.

I'm eying the upgrade to K9U but can't *quite* justify it still!

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

Stingie

Re: Native Instruments sale new [Re: oggyb]
      #1076955 - 01/12/13 12:47 AM
My visa card just scorched my hand.9U is very tempting.

Richard Graham

Re: Native Instruments sale new [Re: Stingie]
      #1076965 - 01/12/13 08:28 AM
Quote Stingie:

My visa card just scorched my hand.9U is very tempting.

I've had my eye on the k9 upgrade it for months, glad I held off now!

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

Ron Snijders

Loc: Netherlands
      #1076975 - 01/12/13 11:31 AM
For 75 euros, I couldn't resist upgrading from K8 to K9 and getting Battery 4 and Monark The rest is just a nice bonus.

oggyb

Loc: Leeds, UK
Re: Native Instruments sale new [Re: Ron Snijders]
      #1076988 - 01/12/13 01:57 PM
Quote Ron Snijders:

For 75 euros, I couldn't resist upgrading from K8 to K9 and getting Battery 4 and Monark The rest is just a nice bonus.

I was hovering over the upgrade button, but then, I actually thought the extra 5 doohickeys wouldn't make much difference to me over K8.

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

Richard Graham

#1077003 - 01/12/13 04:31 PM
I upgraded from 6 - it's a big deal for me!

--------------------

Shambolic Charm

#1077046 - 02/12/13 09:36 AM
I was hoping to get an upgrade deal on the Komplete Essentials that came with my Audio 6 card but no deal!

--------------------
www.myspace.com/shambolic-charm

Huge Longjohns
long-serving member

Loc: Where the black rocks stand gu...
      #1077075 - 02/12/13 09:58 AM
Anyone using Logic 9 and Kontakt? How would you compare Kontakt 5 to Logic's own EXS24 in terms of quality of sounds, ease of use, frequency of use? Is it a Must Have or a Nice To Have? I'm generally doing rock, indie and acoustic/folk kind of stuff. I use Analogue Drums a lot which are essentially mapped for Kontakt but have so far got by by mapping them into the EXS24 where you lose functionality and it's a PITA. Cheers.

--------------------
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
Re: Native Instruments sale new [Re: Huge Longjohns]
      #1077134 - 02/12/13 05:51 PM
Quote Huge Longjohns:

Anyone using Logic 9 and Kontakt? How would you compare Kontakt 5 to Logic's own EXS24 in terms of quality of sounds, ease of use, frequency of use? Is it a Must Have or a Nice To Have? I'm generally doing rock, indie and acoustic/folk kind of stuff. I use Analogue Drums a lot which are essentially mapped for Kontakt but have so far got by by mapping them into the EXS24 where you lose functionality and it's a PITA. Cheers.

EXS24 and Kontakt are chalk and cheese - a bit like comparing a ukelele with a Gibson Les Paul through a pile of really quality pedals (for want an analogy ... and no disrespect to uke players). You can do just SO much more with Kontakt. But then, in fairness (and to continue the Uke/Gibson analogy), EXS24 is easier to use because it is (by today's standards) so basic ... not much of an advance an Akai S3000. That said, you don't HAVE to use Kontakt's extensive facilities - just because you can insert 50 or 60 filters in there and countless insert and send effects doesn't mean you have to!

Quality of sounds? There is just SOOOOO much stuff out there for Kontakt, some free, some cheap, some affordable, some not too outrageous (and of course some that's stupidly expensive) - it's the most widely supported sampler out there and there's some belting stuff out there (and EXS24's support for sound library is largely conspicuous by its absence)

Ease of use? For basics (mapping out some drums, whatever), no more complicated than EXS24. It can get quite deep though.

Frequency of use? Depends I suppose. It's all I use here (obviously).

Must Have or Nice To Have? Only you can decide. Personally, I think its essential for anyone working with samples. But you're only occasionally working with them, EXS24 may well be sufficient.

If drums is your thing, there are squillions of kits out there for Kontakt, again free to stupidly priced. And many are scripted with control over close and room mics, drum balance and other attributes. And scripting is really what sets Kontakt aside from EXS24 - people are doing very clever things with it such that you don't have to have to delve into the guts of the beast - it's all (or should be) there on an easy to use panel.

I do not work for NI, BTW, neither do I have any affiliation with them - just a (generally) happy customer.

If nothing else, there's the Kontakt Demo you could try to see if you could get on with it. Best not hang around though - not sure when the NI sale ends.

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

Huge Longjohns
long-serving member

Loc: Where the black rocks stand gu...
      #1077197 - 03/12/13 09:16 AM
Thanks very much HS, that's an excellent appraisal. Horrible feeling the credit card might be rearing its ugly head again!

--------------------
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1394

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media