Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
saltybrian

protools versions
      #1082644 - 10/01/14 12:54 AM
Hi,

After a few years playing around with Logic I'm interested in trying something different and getting to know the basics of protools. I've got a 2012 mb pro and a motu interface so don't need / want to buy hardware.

I'm confused by all the versions - which version offers basic functionality for multi track live audio recording and editing?

Thanks for any advice.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Phil O

Loc: Scotland
Re: protools versions new [Re: saltybrian]
      #1082679 - 10/01/14 11:29 AM
If you don't want (or need) to buy additional hardware, then there's only one version available to you i.e Pro Tools 11. I believe this comes with a bundled license for version 10. The latter should allow you to run the software on 2012 Mac OS versions.

Express is a substantially cut down version but is only available with a hardware purchase.

JosefBud

Loc: Baltimore, MD; USA
Re: protools versions new [Re: Phil O]
      #1082723 - 10/01/14 02:39 PM
Quote Phil O:

If you don't want (or need) to buy additional hardware, then there's only one version available to you i.e Pro Tools 11. I believe this comes with a bundled license for version 10. The latter should allow you to run the software on 2012 Mac OS versions.

Express is a substantially cut down version but is only available with a hardware purchase.

^^^ What he said

Your best option right now is to go with Pro Tools 11, and definitely not the HD version. I work entirely in Pro Tools and love it! I think you'll really enjoy yourself

saltybrian

#1082856 - 11/01/14 07:06 PM
Thanks for this.

I want to learn the ropes so I could be more clued up when working with other engineers / studios. As far as I can see that's going to cost me £500... might be a bit expensive just for a dabble. If I were to go down the express / hardware route, could I sell the hardware and work express with my own interface?

CHeers

Phil O

Loc: Scotland
      #1082859 - 11/01/14 07:37 PM
Quote saltybrian:

Thanks for this.

I want to learn the ropes so I could be more clued up when working with other engineers / studios. As far as I can see that's going to cost me £500... might be a bit expensive just for a dabble. If I were to go down the express / hardware route, could I sell the hardware and work express with my own interface?

CHeers

It should be possible to sell the interface as authorization of the software is via iLok2 i.e not hardware dependent.

If you just want to 'dabble', there's a free 30 day trial available to try via the Avid website (iLok2 required).

DC-Choppah

Loc: MD, USA
      #1082902 - 12/01/14 04:19 AM
Motu interfaces claim to be compatible with ProTools 9: http://www.motu.com/newsitems/motu-audio-interfaces-are-compatible-with-pr o-tools-9

So you can just get a working version of PT 9 LE to learn protools with your current rig. You can find that on the market for sale cheap since it is 2 versions behind.

That's another option.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 755

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media