Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
CS70

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Gating cymbals?
      #1098790 - 20/04/14 10:14 PM
Hei!

Just having a go at one of my band' songs - a pop-rock piece- and found that our drummer was quite eager with the cymbals when we recorded. Which is overall good, as it gives lots of movement to the the drum track, but given the treatment I've given to the drums, the result is that the cymbals, especially the crash, tend to splash quite a lot. They do it nicely, but to see if I could control how long they resonate, I've gated the overheads with a smooth decay and the right hold and release so the splash does not end too abruptly. It doesn't sounds half bad, but I feel the snare can become a little less sharp at times due to the gating. It's not a big thing, but I'm tempted to leave the gate out altogether and keep the splashes how they are. However, I wonder - is it a regular thing to gate the overheads to contain the cymbals? Or nobody does that?

Thanks!

--------------------
http://www.silver-spoon.org - It's just music
..and the FB page

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Gating cymbals? new [Re: CS70]
      #1098814 - 21/04/14 10:52 AM
As far as possible, beyond a little HPF I leave overheads well alone. I'd rather have honest sounding overheads with a little too exhuberant playing than have overheads that sound as if they've been massaged in some way. 90% of the life of drums is from overheads.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

CS70

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Re: Gating cymbals? new [Re: The Elf]
      #1098824 - 21/04/14 12:31 PM
Yeah, I feel the same about the overheads - I left them without gating in the end. I tend to hipass quite a bit lately, it was a ah-ah moment as I found it does wonders with the drums definition, rattling and unwanted room reverb.

Thanks!

--------------------
http://www.silver-spoon.org - It's just music
..and the FB page

DC-Choppah

Loc: MD, USA
      #1099109 - 23/04/14 02:50 AM
IMHO if you hi-pass your overheads, then they become really just cymbal mics. So now you can think of them that way at least. So if you are hearing too much cymbal then bring them down. If you can't ride this fast enough, then start using a compressor with a side chain from the vocal, or something you want to hear over the cymbals. I am hearing lots of classic reference tracks where the drummer will hit a crash and when the vocals come back in the crash has nicely gotten out of the way in an unnatural, yet pleasing musical way. Sounds like a medium slow attack, and really long (infinite) release.

DC

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Gating cymbals? new [Re: DC-Choppah]
      #1099129 - 23/04/14 07:42 AM
Quote DC-Choppah:

IMHO if you hi-pass your overheads, then they become really just cymbal mics.

It depends how high you set the cut-off. For rock/metal I may be up in the 500-600Hz region, which does makes the overheads all but cymbal mic's, but for jazz, indie-pop I may just roll off under 80Hz. Invariably, if you have a close kick mic then it is likely that you'll need to clean up the low end of the overheads to let it do its job.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1099138 - 23/04/14 08:23 AM
Very occasionally I've discarded the overhead tracks completely with a heavy cymbal hitter. As a drummer I learned that the cymbals get everywhere if you don't play them in a controlled way so the cymbals I use probably sound too quiet in the room but they work fine when mic'ed up.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 740

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media