Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
ZukanModerator
Zukan

Need a quality headset for my video tutorials
      #1099151 - 23/04/14 09:41 AM
Up until now, I've been using an AT4033a (thanks Dave) and Camtasia to record my videos. The problem I always have is that of maintaining the right distance between me and the mic to prevent all the usual proximity problems and that of gains flying all over the place.

I have a crappy Microsoft headset I use for Skype and I tried a test run with Camtasia. It's perfect for my needs but not exactly studio quality.

I know there are a ton of you live dudes that use headsets, so any recommendations for a headset with a decent microphone? I am not too bothered about the headphone side of things, only the mic.

Thanks
Z

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Need a quality headset for my video tutorials new [Re: Zukan]
      #1099157 - 23/04/14 09:51 AM
Are you going to be on the video yourself? ie does it need to be hidden, as on TV/musical/theatre etc with tiny beige models, or can it have a huge great black blob in front of your mouth? You want wired or wireless, or doesn't it matter? Have you a budget in mind? Maybe a good old-fashioned lavalier mic? More info please...

ZukanModerator
Zukan

Re: Need a quality headset for my video tutorials new [Re: Mixedup]
      #1099159 - 23/04/14 09:55 AM
Quote Mixedup:

Are you going to be on the video yourself? ie does it need to be hidden, as on TV/musical/theatre etc with tiny beige models, or can it have a huge great black blob in front of your mouth? You want wired or wireless, or doesn't it matter? Have you a budget in mind? Maybe a good old-fashioned lavalier mic? More info please...

I won't be featured in any of the videos so it can be hidden, does not require wireless (usb is fine), happy with a big black blob in front of me, budget is preferably below £100 and closer to £50.
I have a lavalier but it wasn't the ideal solution. I prefer the headset option.

Thanks dude

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

Neokoenig

Loc: Oxford
      #1099168 - 23/04/14 10:27 AM
I've got one of these: http://www.countryman.com/isomax-headset if you want to try it.
It's XLR (and hypercardioid) though, oh, and it's a bit more than £100 (closer to £200), but you're welcome to borrow it if you want to try it.

I use it for backing vocals on the drums.

--------------------
Web Design ~
Drum Studio

Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
      #1099200 - 23/04/14 11:05 AM
When I've needed to do this I've used an A-T or AKG head-worn mic with my normal closed-back cans 'over the top' as it were. Works well and not at all uncomfortable on the head.

Best of both worlds...

desmond

#1099203 - 23/04/14 11:09 AM
Quote Zukan:

I won't be featured in any of the videos so it can be hidden, does not require wireless (usb is fine), happy with a big black blob in front of me, budget is preferably below £100 and closer to £50.

Having tried a bunch of these £50-£100 headset mics, I can say that I've not found one yet that isn't garbage.*

I'd prefer a decent quality lav or a theatre-style quality headset system - it's more expensive of course, but it's an investment and it pays in terms of quality and there is *nothing* worse than audio professionals demoing or teaching audio concepts and they can't even be bothered to make their mic audio sound half decent - it would be like a "professional" photographer giving photographic advice while showing their horrible, out of focus, underexposed and poorly framed photos.

* That's not to say they don't exist, just that all the ones I've personally tried were dreadful.

As Neo says, the £200 price point is more realistic for something that is decent.

ZukanModerator
Zukan

Re: Need a quality headset for my video tutorials new [Re: Neokoenig]
      #1099204 - 23/04/14 11:17 AM
Quote Neokoenig:

I've got one of these: http://www.countryman.com/isomax-headset if you want to try it.
It's XLR (and hypercardioid) though, oh, and it's a bit more than £100 (closer to £200), but you're welcome to borrow it if you want to try it.

Thanks Noe, one to consider but alas the price.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

ZukanModerator
Zukan

Re: Need a quality headset for my video tutorials new [Re: Mike Stranks]
      #1099205 - 23/04/14 11:18 AM
Quote Mike Stranks:

When I've needed to do this I've used an A-T or AKG head-worn mic with my normal closed-back cans 'over the top' as it were. Works well and not at all uncomfortable on the head.

Best of both worlds...

Mike, any recommendations on model etc?

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

ZukanModerator
Zukan

Re: Need a quality headset for my video tutorials new [Re: desmond]
      #1099206 - 23/04/14 11:20 AM
Quote desmond:

Quote Zukan:

Having tried a bunch of these £50-£100 headset mics, I can say that I've not found one yet that isn't garbage.*

I'd prefer a decent quality lav or a theatre-style quality headset system - it's more expensive of course, but it's an investment and it pays in terms of quality and there is *nothing* worse than audio professionals demoing or teaching audio concepts and they can't even be bothered to make their mic audio sound half decent - it would be like a "professional" photographer giving photographic advice while showing their horrible, out of focus, underexposed and poorly framed photos.

* That's not to say they don't exist, just that all the ones I've personally tried were dreadful.

As Neo says, the £200 price point is more realistic for something that is decent.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Any recommendations on a model that uses USB. I say this because when working with Win 7 we lost the 'mix stereo' function in the CT and it's a convoluted process to get both internal PC sound and my soundcard to actually work together without me needing a baseball bat.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

ZukanModerator
Zukan

Re: Need a quality headset for my video tutorials new [Re: Neokoenig]
      #1099207 - 23/04/14 11:21 AM
Quote Neokoenig:

Great link. Made me moist. Might borrow it off you Noe and demo it if that's ok m8?

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

Neokoenig

Loc: Oxford
      #1099215 - 23/04/14 11:37 AM
Yep no worries; haven't got a gig for a little while so that will work.

--------------------
Web Design ~
Drum Studio

desmond

#1099216 - 23/04/14 11:42 AM
Quote Zukan:

Any recommendations on a model that uses USB.

Sorry, I've only really been trying the low end analog headsets in conjunction with various radio/wireless systems, so nothing direct into a computer, so I have no definite recommendations for your purposes, just wanted to chuck in some input which may or may not be useful...

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#1099221 - 23/04/14 11:53 AM
Thanks Des.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #1099232 - 23/04/14 12:49 PM
I think you'd be looking at a couple of hundred quid. AKG C520 would be good if you want a little warmth close proximity, or an omni, probable entry level would be Rode HS-1, for neutral. Wouldn't know about cheaper stuff.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
      #1099247 - 23/04/14 02:44 PM
Quote Zukan:

Quote Mike Stranks:

Best of both worlds...

The AKG is a C444 (now discontinued);

the A-T was the ATM73a which I bought second-hand on EBay - and have subsequently sold. Probably out of your price-range new though...

ZukanModerator
Zukan

Re: Need a quality headset for my video tutorials new [Re: Mike Stranks]
      #1099255 - 23/04/14 03:18 PM
Quote Mike Stranks:

Quote Zukan:

Quote Mike Stranks:

Best of both worlds...

The AKG is a C444 (now discontinued);

the A-T was the ATM73a which I bought second-hand on EBay - and have subsequently sold. Probably out of your price-range new though...

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 747

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media