Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
PianoPerson

Inter-sample peaks & headroom
      #1113688 - 31/07/14 08:23 AM
I was very interested to read about the additional 3.5 dB headroom that Benchmark built into their DAC2 to accommodate inter-sample peaks on commercial CDs.

I'm wondering how this is different from simply attenuating a signal by 3.5 dB prior to DA-conversion.

If, for example, I attenuate an incoming Spdif signal from a CD-player by 3.5 dB in RME's TotalMix, am I not doing the same thing, and won't the slight reduction in bit depth be inaudible? What am I missing here?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Inter-sample peaks & headroom new [Re: PianoPerson]
      #1113702 - 31/07/14 09:18 AM
Quote PianoPerson:

I'm wondering how this is different from simply attenuating a signal by 3.5 dB prior to DA-conversion.

There is no difference, and that's exactly what I've been doing for years. It can make a surprisingly big difference in quality with badly mastered material, too.

Quote:

If, for example, I attenuate an incoming Spdif signal from a CD-player by 3.5 dB in RME's TotalMix, am I not doing the same thing

Yes. That would work fine.

I have my (CD) music playing systems set up to attenuate by 6dB because it's an easier number to work with (it's just a single bit shift) and it absolutely guarantees no intersample clipping is ever possible, but I've never seen more than +3dBFS in commercial mixers, so 3.5dB works for everything in practice.

Quote:

...and won't the slight reduction in bit depth be inaudible? What am I missing here?

All modern digital interfaces handle 24 bits but a CD source only sends 16 bits, so applying a 6dB attenuation simply means the CD signal occupies bits 2-17 instead of 1-16. The original CD dither signal moves with it and there is no audio data being lopped off the bottom, so it's all good.

If you are working with a monitoring system optimised for a sensible headroom margin then you might find it beneficial to attenuate CD reference sources by 12dB to bring them more in line with the typical loudness of locally mixed material and projects in progress.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1113721 - 31/07/14 11:19 AM
Bump.

Dave.

SOS Technical Editor

Re: Inter-sample peaks & headroom new [Re: ef37a]
      #1113729 - 31/07/14 11:54 AM
Why are you bumping something posted just three hours ago?

H

--------------------

PianoPerson

Re: Inter-sample peaks & headroom new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1113736 - 31/07/14 12:19 PM
Thanks for this lucid explanation, Hugh!

So the 3.5 dB additional headroom isn't really a reason in itself to purchase the DAC2, as long as you're able to attenuate a CD signal in other ways (although it can make a big difference if you feed CD signals directly into the DAC2).

I suppose that for DA-converters with a digital volume control, like the Violectric V800, you can use a similar trick by making sure its output is always turned down a few notches before it's sent to, say, a monitor controller like the SPL 2Control. That actually sounds like a really nice system and it's quite a bit cheaper than the DAC2 (although I'm sure the DAC2 is a fantastic converter).

The whole inter-sample peak issue seems a fairly powerful argument in favour of digital volume controls.

Edited by PianoPerson (31/07/14 12:54 PM)

PianoPerson

#1113738 - 31/07/14 12:28 PM
P.S. I've been amazed how utterly horrible some commercial CDs can sound on proper speakers ever since I bought a pair of PSI Audio A17M speakers 2-3 years ago. They're REALLY unforgiving speakers but for example virtually all ECM releases sound glorious on them. ECM doesn't take part in any loudness wars and I'm pretty sure most of their CDs peak at no more than -3.0 dB. It all makes sense.

ef37a

#1113742 - 31/07/14 12:52 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Why are you bumping something posted just three hours ago?

H

Because I want to "keep in the loop"?
Bit "wrong side of bed" today isn't it?

Dave.

SOS Technical Editor

#1113744 - 31/07/14 01:07 PM
Quote PianoPerson:

So the 3.5 dB additional headroom isn't really a reason in itself to purchase the DAC2, as long as you're able to attenuate a CD signal in other ways (although it can make a big difference if you feed CD signals directly into the DAC2).

The DAC2 is a superb converter, and the headroom management is just one aspect of why it sounds as good as it does -- but it is something that is fairly easy to replicate with obvious audible benefits in other systems.

Quote:

The whole inter-sample peak issue seems a fairly powerful argument in favour of digital volume controls.

Yes, provided the gain control algorithm is done properly, which isn't difficult.

H

--------------------

SOS Technical Editor

#1113746 - 31/07/14 01:09 PM
Quote ef37a:

Adding the thread to your favourites using the 'add thread to my favourites' is probably a better way.

Quote:

Not at all. It just seemed a pointlessly odd thing to do.

H

--------------------

ef37a

#1113749 - 31/07/14 01:21 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Quote ef37a:

Adding the thread to your favourites using the 'add thread to my favourites' is probably a better way.

Quote:

Not at all. It just seemed a pointlessly odd thing to do.

H

I have "bumped" quite few time here and in several other forums when I have nothing to contribute at the time, maybe never but wish to learn!
Never has anyone oddly or pointlessly mentioned it!

I shall use "Bazinga" henceforth.

Dave.

SOS Technical Editor

#1113751 - 31/07/14 01:57 PM
Quote ef37a:

I have "bumped" quite few time here...

yes, I know... which is why I thought I should it about time I raised this odd behaviour with you.

Quote:

...when I have nothing to contribute at the time, maybe never but wish to learn!

If you have nothing to contribute, why contribute? And if there's nothing new you're not going to learn anything either!

If a potentially interesting or important post/thread has been missed and gone unanswered for a few days, bumping it back up to receive fresh attention makes some sense. But there is no sense at all in 'bumping' a post which is only a matter of hours old, still prominent on the first page of the active topics list, and which has already received a pretty comprehensive reply!

H

--------------------

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
      #1113753 - 31/07/14 02:04 PM
Hugh, after reading your replies above re: playing back CDs at 3-6 dBFS below peak to avoid intersample clipping, I wonder if you advocate a similar approach when actually rendering to disk/.wav etc. in a DAW - i.e., keeping the digital peak on the master fader no higher than 3 (or 6?) dBFS below peak when exporting?

Thanks -

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

SOS Technical Editor

Re: Inter-sample peaks & headroom new [Re: alexis]
      #1113755 - 31/07/14 02:21 PM
Quote alexis:

Hugh, after reading your replies above re: playing back CDs at 3-6 dBFS below peak to avoid intersample clipping,...

Intersample clipping can only occur when the waveform is being reconstructed, either in a D-A or in any process which involves oversampling or up sampling (so SRC processes, plug-in effects that involve up-sampling, etc)

Quote:

I wonder if you advocate a similar approach when actually rendering to disk/.wav etc. in a DAW - i.e., keeping the digital peak on the master fader no higher than 3 (or 6?) dBFS below peak when exporting?

I advocate the maintenance of a sensible headroom margin at all times, so yes. But in a simple export there is no waveform reconstruction going on, so peak level samples aren't a problem in themselves and no further data corruption can occur.

The new loudness normalisation standard (ITU-R BS.1770-3) requires peak signal levels to be determined with a True Peak meter (which uses oversampling to better reconstruct the actual waveform), and that the measured true peaks never go above -1dBTP. The EBU spec calls for nothing higher than -3dBTP.

If using ordinary DAW-style sample-peak meters, and when applying lots of limiting or compression, I wouldn't want to risk going higher than -6dBFS, or -3dBFS if using only a little limiting/compression.

But True Peak meters are the way top go if you are worried about intersample peaks, and nothing ever higher than -1dBTP.

H

--------------------

ef37a

#1113760 - 31/07/14 02:40 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Quote ef37a:

I have "bumped" quite few time here...

yes, I know... which is why I thought I should it about time I raised this odd behaviour with you.

Quote:

...when I have nothing to contribute at the time, maybe never but wish to learn!

If you have nothing to contribute, why contribute? And if there's nothing new you're not going to learn anything either!

If a potentially interesting or important post/thread has been missed and gone unanswered for a few days, bumping it back up to receive fresh attention makes some sense. But there is no sense at all in 'bumping' a post which is only a matter of hours old, still prominent on the first page of the active topics list, and which has already received a pretty comprehensive reply!

H

*&%$£! You are annoying sometimes Sheldon!

Dave.

PianoPerson

#1113767 - 31/07/14 02:53 PM
Actually, it is you who is being annoying, Dave. Almost half of this thread has been wasted on your pointless and uncivil posts. It's very irritating.

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
      #1113776 - 31/07/14 03:46 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Quote alexis:

Hugh, after reading your replies above re: playing back CDs at 3-6 dBFS below peak to avoid intersample clipping,...

Intersample clipping can only occur when the waveform is being reconstructed, either in a D-A or in any process which involves oversampling or up sampling (so SRC processes, plug-in effects that involve up-sampling, etc)

Quote:

I wonder if you advocate a similar approach when actually rendering to disk/.wav etc. in a DAW - i.e., keeping the digital peak on the master fader no higher than 3 (or 6?) dBFS below peak when exporting?

I advocate the maintenance of a sensible headroom margin at all times, so yes. But in a simple export there is no waveform reconstruction going on, so peak level samples aren't a problem in themselves and no further data corruption can occur.

The new loudness normalisation standard (ITU-R BS.1770-3) requires peak signal levels to be determined with a True Peak meter (which uses oversampling to better reconstruct the actual waveform), and that the measured true peaks never go above -1dBTP. The EBU spec calls for nothing higher than -3dBTP.

If using ordinary DAW-style sample-peak meters, and when applying lots of limiting or compression, I wouldn't want to risk going higher than -6dBFS, or -3dBFS if using only a little limiting/compression.

But True Peak meters are the way top go if you are worried about intersample peaks, and nothing ever higher than -1dBTP.

H

Thank you, Hugh.

Cubase 7.5.20 has a new meter function I am just getting acquainted with - I see it has LU/LUFS, true peak, and a bunch of other things I'm not familiar with that I didn't see specific discussion of in your excellent SOS a few months back. But at least I'll be looking at LU/LUFS and true peak, which is more than I did before.

Thanks again -

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

narcoman

#1113777 - 31/07/14 03:54 PM
Quote PianoPerson:

Actually, it is you who is being annoying, Dave. Almost half of this thread has been wasted on your pointless and uncivil posts. It's very irritating.

Forums, like any other social space, have long standing friendships, in jokes and other such malarky's. Dont scold until you understand the ins and outs!!

ef37a

#1113785 - 31/07/14 04:34 PM
Quote PianoPerson:

Nope. All he had to do was let it lie as it has other times and other places.

Dave.

ef37a

Re: Inter-sample peaks & headroom new [Re: narcoman]
      #1113787 - 31/07/14 04:36 PM
Quote narcoman:

Quote PianoPerson:

Forums, like any other social space, have long standing friendships, in jokes and other such malarky's. Dont scold until you understand the ins and outs!!

Not sure who is scolding who there Narcs!

Dave.

SOS Technical Editor

Re: Inter-sample peaks & headroom new [Re: alexis]
      #1113788 - 31/07/14 04:37 PM
Quote alexis:

Cubase 7.5.20 has a new meter function I am just getting acquainted with - I see it has LU/LUFS, true peak, and a bunch of other things I'm not familiar with that I didn't see specific discussion of in your excellent SOS a few months back.

It was all in there, and conveniently highlighted in the coloured boxes at the end of the online article:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb14/articles/loudness-war.htm

Quote:

But at least I'll be looking at LU/LUFS and true peak, which is more than I did before.

Good man! Cubase is a designed in Germany and hence used LUFS, but as an American you're allowed to refer to LKFS instead...

H

--------------------

SOS Technical Editor

#1113789 - 31/07/14 04:39 PM
Quote ef37a:

All he had to do was let it lie as it has other times and other places.

... but that way you'll never learn ... and you've already said that's something you're keen about!

But hey, it's no biggie, just a matter of netiquette.

H

--------------------

ef37a

#1113791 - 31/07/14 04:48 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

But hey, it's no biggie, just a matter of netiquette

Seems to be a biggie to you. You HAD to tell me off didn't you?

Dave

Edited by Hugh Robjohns (31/07/14 05:06 PM)

SOS Technical Editor

#1113794 - 31/07/14 05:07 PM
Quote ef37a:

You HAD to tell me off didn't you?

You certainly seem to be taking it that way!

(apologies for appearing to edit your post -- I accidentally hit edit rather than quote)

H

--------------------

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#1113847 - 01/08/14 06:10 AM
Dave, I'm good at spanking and cheap with it. I even wear things. Call me for rates. We deal only in Minstrels.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #1113852 - 01/08/14 07:13 AM
Minstrels have been 10 to the Hobnob recently. You are cheap, I may have some work for you.

--------------------
Onward and outward

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#1113854 - 01/08/14 07:17 AM
Hobnobs are so yesterday. Keep up with the times FFS.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #1115336 - 16/08/14 01:22 AM
This is a temporary economic trend and I urge everyone to stock up in anticipation of an upturn.

I have some melted down into bars as a little nest-egg instead of a costly pension scheme.

--------------------
Onward and outward

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#1115468 - 18/08/14 07:15 AM
Bastard! So it was you who cornered the market with that last gasp bidding war?

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1364

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media