Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
Anybody think "drawing" vibrato with Autotune etc. sounds realistic?
      #1115077 - 13/08/14 07:51 PM
Hi - was reading about the ability of some of these "Autotune-like" programs to draw in the notes with the pencil tool. Does anyone here use that function for vibrato, and if so, is it fairly transparent if used "responsibly" (referring to sung voice, mainly)?

Thanks for any thoughts!

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
ZukanModerator
Zukan

Re: Anybody think "drawing" vibrato with Autotune etc. sounds realistic? new [Re: alexis]
      #1115150 - 14/08/14 11:04 AM
Quite effective when using Vari Audio in segment mode. Doddle and quite realistic so long as you don't go for mad stretches. It can get damn tiresome though but if you already have a half decent vibrato going then it's easy to edit and add to it.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

alexis

Re: Anybody think "drawing" vibrato with Autotune etc. sounds realistic? new [Re: Zukan]
      #1115198 - 14/08/14 03:34 PM
Quote Zukan:

Quite effective when using Vari Audio in segment mode. Doddle and quite realistic so long as you don't go for mad stretches. It can get damn tiresome though but if you already have a half decent vibrato going then it's easy to edit and add to it.

Hi Zukan -

*How* are you doing that in VA ? I use Cubase also, and VA a fair amount, but have no idea how to use it to edit/add vibrato, in segment mode or otherwise ... can you please elaborate a bit ... thank you!

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

ZukanModerator
Zukan

Re: Anybody think "drawing" vibrato with Autotune etc. sounds realistic? new [Re: alexis]
      #1115470 - 18/08/14 07:21 AM
Yep, select segment, use pencil, draw in new vibrato or edit existing one. I tend to work the vibrato tails a lot as this is where most of the problems lie bar 'off the scale' mad vibrato. You can also extend/shorten, lower/raise etc by using the pencil or range tool. Fading is a great way to play with vibrato as well as so many amateur singers plosive after the vibrato end. If you throw in the chord track you can do even more creative things with Vari.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
      #1115474 - 18/08/14 08:55 AM
Many moons ago we would load up lead guitar parts into Autotune and would use the inbuilt vibrato quite effectively. It had a delay as well as speed / depth and we would tweak all three parameters to make it more natural. Sounded lovely. As it was guitar, we could turn most of the autotuning side down - slow correction rates mean less artifacts in the audio, so it was gentle correction but the vibrato control was lovely.

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

alexis

Re: Anybody think "drawing" vibrato with Autotune etc. sounds realistic? new [Re: Zukan]
      #1115718 - 21/08/14 02:34 AM
Quote Zukan:

Yep, select segment, use pencil, draw in new vibrato or edit existing one. I tend to work the vibrato tails a lot as this is where most of the problems lie bar 'off the scale' mad vibrato. You can also extend/shorten, lower/raise etc by using the pencil or range tool. Fading is a great way to play with vibrato as well as so many amateur singers plosive after the vibrato end. If you throw in the chord track you can do even more creative things with Vari.

Hi Zukan - thanks for this reply, I've been away for a while, couldn't wait to get back to try this out.

It's not working for me :-( .

1) Per usual: I open VariAudio, and click on segment, it analyzes the audio.
2) The problems start when I right click and select the pencil tool:
--- a) The cross-hatched segment sign goes away, the colors turn gray, and the segment light goes off. Hmm.
--- b) I click with the pencil on what used to be a colored, cross-hatched segment (it's now a gray box), and I get the message: "This Operation will invalidate the VariAudio data. Proceed?"
--- c) I say "Yes".
--- d) Then I immediately get the message - "Drawing is not possible in this wave display mode!".

I tried it using the "Pitch and Warp" tab instead of segment, and got similar results.

Can you explain a little bit more please about how you coax Cubase into letting you use the pencil tool in VariAudio?

Thanks much ...

--------------------

feline1

Loc: Brighton, UK
      #1115769 - 21/08/14 01:46 PM
Is it as authentic as when Robert Calvert used to have his voice wobbulated through an old EMS Synthi on old Hawkwind albums?

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 637

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media