Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
jimbobbley

Dirtying / 'gritty'-ing up horns
      #1115495 - 18/08/14 12:51 PM
Hi all

I've got to mix a track with a horn section on it - recorded in proximity and also at distance with two lovely Coles mics. It sounds great, but the track itself has a bit of a 70s feel to it and I could do with making the brass sit better with the kit, which has a very nice tape-y, slightly gritty sound.

Obviously the best solution would have been to sort it at source but that's no longer an option - so I wondered if anyone had any tips for dirtying up a brass sound slightly? Maybe giving it a bit more rasp and just sounding a bit more like in the good old days. It just sounds a bit too polite at the moment, although the playing is great.

In terms of what's available to me, it's virtually all in the box but I do have the UAD plugins / can demo those I haven't bought yet.

Thanks in advance!

J

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
jrbcm

Re: Dirtying / 'gritty'-ing up horns new [Re: jimbobbley]
      #1115497 - 18/08/14 01:28 PM
Check out Gabriel Roth/Daptones....there are some good articles knocking about including this one:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun08/articles/daptone.htm

Having just recorded an album full of vintage horn sections, what I did was use a Ribbon (Royer 121) as my primary mic, but also stick an SM57 further away for room sound. I would say be EXTREMELY careful with EQ on brass as it's a very fine adjustment if you're gonna take a tiny bit of top off a trumpet for example. Generally I have found horns don't respond well to overprocessing. Tape plugins can be good and you could check out mic modelling like this:

http://www.waves.com/plugins/the-king-s-microphones?gclid=CMWAmKL0nMACFcsJ wwodIzQAbA

I have also recorded brass off to cassette which can blend it quite well and take a little top off. In honesty though, as is so often the case, having tried stuff like speakerphone many times on horns, 90% of the time I have ended up taking it off and just blending in some SM57.

SafeandSound Masteri...

Loc: London UK
      #1115502 - 18/08/14 01:53 PM
Hi J, fairly sure that a tape plug in just slightly over driven would be fairly authentic and "bed it in" will also thicken slightly, you will get some gentle mush on the loudest sections. I rate VTM but needs iLok which is not everyones cup of tea (or sometimes not practical), I succumb to iLok cause for mix duties it is hard to go wrong with Slates offerings price vs sound.

Maybe the Ampex jobby from UAD ? Also Check out U-he Satin demo.(no dongle copy protection) PSP old timer might be worth a demo under GR it mushes things up somewhat, though you might not it squashed simultaneously.

Jeraldo

#1115519 - 18/08/14 04:04 PM
Quote jimbobbley:

so I wondered if anyone had any tips for dirtying up a brass sound slightly? Maybe giving it a bit more rasp and just sounding a bit more like in the good old days. It just sounds a bit too polite at the moment, although the playing is great.

Try RX3->Deconstruct->Noisy Gain+

That will do exactly what you need! In spades.

There's a trial available, though I'm not sure how limited the trial version is.

Jack Ruston

#1115524 - 18/08/14 04:32 PM
Quote jimbobbley:

Obviously the best solution would have been to sort it at source

J

Well...not really. Thing is that as you've pointed out, horn sections quite often sound better with a bit of distortion. It's not so much a mic choice or placement issue (not that those aren't important when recording horn sections). You can overload a mic pre or some outboard, distort tape if that's the medium you're using, but it's all quite destructive and you can't go back.

I tend to steer towards things like Massey Tape Head *which isn't tapey at all incidentally* and Decapitator for things like that. I'd have a play with the distortion/saturation plug ins you have or those that are available for free or very cheaply before you spend a lot of cash. If it sounds good it is good.

J

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 403

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media