Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
OneWorld

Lend Me Your Ears Please
      #987987 - 17/05/12 12:28 PM
I have mixed and uploaded 2 of my tracks. I have used a little compression and much the same treatment on both tracks, but one sounds louder than the other, so if I pout them on CD, there's a leap in volume when I move from one track to the next, but as you'll see from the wav graphic in Soundcloud, they both look the same.

The 2 tracks are

CantGetStarted and ItsAnOrdinaryLife

Acoustimax on Soundcloud

Any general comments on the mixing would be welcome thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Jonnypopisical

Loc: Oakham
Re: Lend Me Your Ears Please new [Re: OneWorld]
      #988008 - 17/05/12 02:16 PM
Hi - Don't worry about the mixes at this stage - look at the song writing and performances...the mixes can wait..

--------------------
Mac Pro, Logic Pro, lots of software and 17 hard drives!

OneWorld

#988037 - 17/05/12 05:58 PM
I already dealt with that bit

Jonnypopisical

Loc: Oakham
      #988078 - 17/05/12 09:21 PM
don't think so

--------------------
Mac Pro, Logic Pro, lots of software and 17 hard drives!

stollypop

Loc: Hervey Bay. Australia.
      #988104 - 18/05/12 02:28 AM
Quote OneWorld:

I already dealt with that bit

Who wrote your lyrics, Noel Gallaghers 5yr old neice?

--------------------
Ahh ha ha, ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

OneWorld

#988105 - 18/05/12 02:32 AM
Yep, quite good isn't she, it must run in the family

stollypop

#988106 - 18/05/12 02:43 AM
Quote OneWorld:

Yes, she and her family would be the best in the world if every other lyric writer in the world was dead.

--------------------

OneWorld

Re: Lend Me Your Ears Please new [Re: stollypop]
      #988109 - 18/05/12 03:38 AM
Quote stollypop:

Quote OneWorld:

Yes, she and her family would be the best in the world if every other lyric writer in the world was dead.

That wouldn't include you though would it! LOL

stollypop

#988110 - 18/05/12 05:20 AM
On a serious note, you should really take those poor excuses for music down and just stop. McDonalds are hiring i hear.

--------------------

sambrox

Loc: Denmark
      #988120 - 18/05/12 08:07 AM
Holy crap, what's with all the hostility? Not very constructive...

--------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sambrox
seedy.dk

Anonymous
Unregistered

#988134 - 18/05/12 09:27 AM
Quote stollypop:

On a serious note, you should really take those poor excuses for music down and just stop. McDonalds are hiring i hear.

twit.

Airfix

#988139 - 18/05/12 09:58 AM
I lent my ears to 'Cant get started'. Nice breezy track with potential. I agree with Jonnypopisical that the tracking is not finished here. The bass is doing some strange things. It's a little too active.

I'd go back to the bass and the drums - it is way too busy in parts - needs rethinking.
The guitars lack body - perhaps they were Di'd and this process has left them a bit characterless. I'd think you might consider imbuing the guitars with tube emulation perhaps - gentle distortion might help.

If you are happy with the tracking as is, I would suggest bringing the main vocal forward - try a little compression here. The backing vocals are louder than the main vocal as it stands. That needs to be fixed.

OneWorld

Re: Lend Me Your Ears Please new [Re: sambrox]
      #988194 - 18/05/12 01:45 PM
Quote sambrox:

Holy crap, what's with all the hostility? Not very constructive...

Whatever floats his billabong, even the Beatles had doors slammed in their faces by the experts, so I hope I don't get mistaken for someone that gives a damn. The first job of music is not impress but express, and if someone likes it, great, if not..oh dear what a shame never mind onto the next song.

As it happens, I don't think the lyrics could be described even remotely as Dylanesque, but nI have been an instrumentalist, but thought I'd have a pop at singing as well.

There's on ething I take comfort from,I have more replies than anyone else as regards the listen posts - and there's no such thing as bad publicity and I am a sucker for a bit of robust banter as much as the next man/woman/whatever lol

BTW - Sam Brox, are you in anyway related to the infamous Victor Brox/Kyla Brox?

OneWorld

Re: Lend Me Your Ears Please new [Re: ]
      #988197 - 18/05/12 01:48 PM
Quote Bob Shoes:

Quote stollypop:

twit.

And I hope he comes into Macs when am working there - he'll know me, I'll be happily singing away in the background, gobbing in his burger LOL

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
Re: Lend Me Your Ears Please new [Re: Airfix]
      #988199 - 18/05/12 01:55 PM
Quote Airfix:

I lent my ears to 'Cant get started'....I'd go back to the bass and the drums - it is way too busy in parts - needs rethinking...I would suggest bringing the main vocal forward

(When I listened to it on basic computer speakers, first impression was that the vocals could come up, and the drum riff that kicks in at 30secs could go down, or be replaced by something different.)

OneWorld

#988200 - 18/05/12 01:56 PM
Quote Airfix:

I lent my ears to 'Cant get started'. Nice breezy track with potential. I agree with Jonnypopisical that the tracking is not finished here. The bass is doing some strange things. It's a little too active.

I'd go back to the bass and the drums - it is way too busy in parts - needs rethinking.
The guitars lack body - perhaps they were Di'd and this process has left them a bit characterless. I'd think you might consider imbuing the guitars with tube emulation perhaps - gentle distortion might help.

If you are happy with the tracking as is, I would suggest bringing the main vocal forward - try a little compression here. The backing vocals are louder than the main vocal as it stands. That needs to be fixed.

Thanks for that, yes, the bass is too busy, a habit I cannot get out of, used to play solo acoustic Spanish guitar with my fingers running amock and I play the bass in the same way, as if it is a solo intstrument, and I keep forgetting the bass is meant to underpin the rhythm, not do a 3 minute bass solo!

The steel strung guitar I have is only a cheap Yammy, and no matter what I try, I cannot get it sounding as good as one does when I listen to professionally recorded music.

I am not a vocalist, as demonstrated, but I trundle along in my happy liddle way. But try and stretch the range, so I am not stuck within one octave, I hear proper singers and they go all over the place and make it lyrical, tuneful and phrased just bob on. And then I try to do 2/3 part harmony, well, that's a work in progress too!

But again thanks for yuor critique, as in truth, it kinda confirmed what I felt already.

Of course my mates say "Wow that's brill" and they say it again if I buy them another pint! I supose I owe you a pint as well now - fame and fortiune, it wasn't supposed to go this way!

sambrox

Loc: Denmark
      #988215 - 18/05/12 02:28 PM
Quote OneWorld:

BTW - Sam Brox, are you in anyway related to the infamous Victor Brox/Kyla Brox?

Yup. They're my dad and little sister, respectively.

--------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sambrox
seedy.dk

OneWorld

#988227 - 18/05/12 03:11 PM
A exhalted music heritage then! the number of times he rocked the joint at the famed Slurrey Arms is beyond measure, he was world famous in Glossop! - well way beyond there of course

stollypop

#988295 - 18/05/12 09:55 PM
Oh come on, i was being Simon Cowell.

And absolutely NO SINGING when frying those burgers, especially your songs.

--------------------

zenguitarAdministrator

Loc: Devon
      #988314 - 19/05/12 12:52 AM
Quote stollypop:

And absolutely NO SINGING when frying those burgers, especially your songs.

And one Simon Cowell is more than sufficient. Consider the market saturated already, and in future bear in mind that things don't over the same in print as they do in person.

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #988342 - 19/05/12 09:59 AM
Quote stollypop:

Dear Mr Pop

There are quite clearly defined rules regarding the use of unacceptable language on these fora. If you cannot conduct yourself accordingly I will be obliged to raise your behaviour with the appropriate body.

Thank you.

p.s. what's with the Crass logo?

OP, I like your stuff and agree with the constructive comments already laid out.

Keep up the good work.

--------------------
Onward and outward

vinyl_junkie

Loc: Kent, UK
      #988349 - 19/05/12 11:46 AM
On the first track I don't think those drums work at all, too 90's ravey and in your face for the track imo (Not to mention sounding rather dated and flat)

Bass is too lumpy and just doesn't sound right, is it a synth? To me it's occupying the wrong bit in the mix, too mid rangey and loud

BV's sound out of tune/key in a quite a few places

Before coming in with the drums after you fixed them you could try some strings with some verb

I'd just start again, as some one said I wouldn't worry about the mixing at this stage and concentrate harder with the song writing and recording.. Sorry if that's a bit harsh

Edited by vinyl_junkie (19/05/12 11:49 AM)

stollypop

Re: Lend Me Your Ears Please new [Re: shufflebeat]
      #988442 - 19/05/12 11:17 PM
Quote shufflebeat:

Dear Mr Pop

There are quite clearly defined rules regarding the use of unacceptable language on these fora. If you cannot conduct yourself accordingly I will be obliged to raise your behaviour with the appropriate body.

Thank you.

Shut up, no one likes a grass.

--------------------

Edited by stollypop (19/05/12 11:34 PM)

stollypop

Re: Lend Me Your Ears Please new [Re: vinyl_junkie]
      #988443 - 19/05/12 11:28 PM
Quote vinyl_junkie:

I'd just start again, as some one said I wouldn't worry about the mixing at this stage and concentrate harder with the song writing and recording.. Sorry if that's a bit harsh

How can honesty be 'a bit harsh'? Are we to lie to him? No matter how much you dress up a dog turd it's still a dog turd.

Someone asked what the 'Crass logo was about' apart from being a great band one of the many things Crass believed in was freedom of speech.

--------------------

shufflebeat

#988445 - 19/05/12 11:44 PM
Quote stollypop:

Someone asked what the 'Crass logo was about' apart from being a great band one of the many things Crass believed in was freedom of speech.

I think you'll find they also sounded a trifle... raw. God help them if they had come here looking for constructive criticism.

--------------------
Onward and outward

stollypop

Re: Lend Me Your Ears Please new [Re: shufflebeat]
      #988448 - 20/05/12 12:55 AM
Quote shufflebeat:

Quote stollypop:

I think you'll find they also sounded a trifle... raw. God help them if they had come here looking for constructive criticism.

You're right there, shot down and pissed on i reckon, then probably banned for bad language and having a opinion that differed from the Sound on Sound norm.

--------------------

shufflebeat

#988463 - 20/05/12 08:15 AM
The advice from regulars who deal with all walks of musical life in their day jobs would usually be along the lines of:

"are you really aiming for that guitar sound, it does mask the lyrics?"

"there is clipping at 2:09, you may want to rethink your arrangement"

"your room needs duvets, don't spend money on expensive toys."

Most people around here are music lovers in all it's forms while having a special interest and experience in a particular area. Generally if they don't have anything constructive to add - they don't.

There are occasionally comments like you describe but they are usually trolls and tend to be ignored.

--------------------
Onward and outward

BJG145

#988470 - 20/05/12 08:52 AM
It's An Ordinary Life...

Just listened through a couple of times on headphones.

It cuts in abruptly; sounds like the front of the waveform has been cut off. Could do with a brief introduction, or just hearing the inital attack of the instruments.

Sounds like most stuff except the strings and backing vocals is in the centre. I think there's room to spread things out a bit more; eg maybe push the guitar right a bit, spread out the drumkit.

Interesting melody and harmony lines on the vocals, though it would benefit from some tuning in places. Eg, "See it through" at 1.10 goes slightly flat. Tuning would keep the thing snappy and upbeat. I'd also say that I'd like to hear it sung with more passion and enthusiasm; it sounds like the singer is either concentrating too hard or worrying about the neighbours. Needs to let go more. The vocal is inevitably the thing people zone in on, and it needs to sound as good as you can possibly make it. I generally go for feel over pitch, since you can fix pitch but you can't fix feel. Sing it through three or four times with feeling, comp it, and tune it.

Some imaginative changes from 1.30 to 2.00. I like where you're going with the vocal and string arrangements, and nice guitar playing, but the drums need attention. Drums are the engine of the track, and programmed drums need to be handled with care or they can undermine everything else. I think these sound a bit too busy, and somehow too lightweight. (The style, not just the tone. Go easy on the bouncy keyboard backing too.)

The robotic three-snare-and-cymbal repeated at 1.03 and 1.10 is an example of what I don't like about the drums...sounds too Casio. Any chance of working with a real drummer to get some ideas...?

Airfix

#988478 - 20/05/12 09:44 AM
Your continuing irrelevant posts are low justifications for your 'cruel but fair' attitude wrapped up in your honest opinion - kiss my ass .. You are a bully stollypop!

OneWorld

#988649 - 21/05/12 10:02 AM
Quote Airfix:

Your continuing irrelevant posts are low justifications for your 'cruel but fair' attitude wrapped up in your honest opinion - kiss my ass .. You are a bully stollypop!

There was amongst the posts a claim to be Simon Cowell'ish. I have a lot of respect for Simon Cowell as it happens, yes he pans people's efforts ruthlessly, but when he says something is rubbish, he can say why he thinks it bad - "out of tune, timing etc" he can offer an objective critique as well as sounding off.

So anyone who just blows off for the sake of it, who is neither funny, informative, instructive and speaks without informed knowledge, I don't take any notice at all. But thanks for your 'support' anyway

OneWorld

Re: Lend Me Your Ears Please new [Re: BJG145]
      #988654 - 21/05/12 10:25 AM
Quote BJG145:

It's An Ordinary Life...

Just listened through a couple of times on headphones.

It cuts in abruptly; sounds like the front of the waveform has been cut off. Could do with a brief introduction, or just hearing the inital attack of the instruments.

Sounds like most stuff except the strings and backing vocals is in the centre. I think there's room to spread things out a bit more; eg maybe push the guitar right a bit, spread out the drumkit.

Interesting melody and harmony lines on the vocals, though it would benefit from some tuning in places. Eg, "See it through" at 1.10 goes slightly flat. Tuning would keep the thing snappy and upbeat. I'd also say that I'd like to hear it sung with more passion and enthusiasm; it sounds like the singer is either concentrating too hard or worrying about the neighbours. Needs to let go more. The vocal is inevitably the thing people zone in on, and it needs to sound as good as you can possibly make it. I generally go for feel over pitch, since you can fix pitch but you can't fix feel. Sing it through three or four times with feeling, comp it, and tune it.

Some imaginative changes from 1.30 to 2.00. I like where you're going with the vocal and string arrangements, and nice guitar playing, but the drums need attention. Drums are the engine of the track, and programmed drums need to be handled with care or they can undermine everything else. I think these sound a bit too busy, and somehow too lightweight. (The style, not just the tone. Go easy on the bouncy keyboard backing too.)

The robotic three-snare-and-cymbal repeated at 1.03 and 1.10 is an example of what I don't like about the drums...sounds too Casio. Any chance of working with a real drummer to get some ideas...?

I'd like to say I really appreciate taking the time to listen and comment. Because as it happens a lot of what you say is spot on.

Cut off at the beginning, I'll deal with that.

The spread of things. I am having a problem with that. I use a digital mixer (DM24) and mix down to a stereo track on a Masterlink, but there are several stereo outs on the DM24 and I monitor on one and there is no stereo, on another there is, I can't find out why. I did anotheer clutch of songs, which believe it or not, a producer/writer was interested in, himself asking me to supply him with the raw wavs and he would smarten them up (life's complications came along and I had to drop off music, so never followed this up) But I mixed those songs on an old analogue mackie 24-8-2 and on listening back to them, separation and such is much more apparent, it was that much more simple to operate, I'm not an engineer and the DM24 confuses me. The DM is quieter, I always had very slight hum from the Mackie.

With regard to the singing yo have got it spot on - for one am learning to sing, and when singing, I am sort of pre-occupied, thinking as I sing along, ooooh noooo - am I going to hit this awkward note coming up.

ANother classic mistake I make I supose is, a melody, idea comes into my head, I pick up the guitar and knock out some chords, develop the idea and then find my voice works best around bE but I have already pitched everything about G major as the chords are easier to play. These things become apparent as I learn more, and due to comments made by those such as your kind self.

I have been in several bands, one in particular where we had 2 good singers, and when the band got firing on all 8 cylinders, we could fill a dance floor each and everytime, so I know the songs can be sung/played well. But I think maybe one person (me)trying to write, sing all parts, play all instruments highlights the downside of doing it all - very few people can be an expert in everything - it's hard enough trying to be good at just one of those things lol

The drums - yep, a real drummist would lift things considerably, in truth I suppose I'm using the drum track as a glorified click track

Could I ask you have a listen to 'Collaterally' it is much more stripped down, just me on vox + harmony, bass, acoustic guitar.

But either way thanks a lot for your comments.

BJG145

#988659 - 21/05/12 10:46 AM
Quote OneWorld:

Could I ask you have a listen to 'Collaterally' it is much more stripped down, just me on vox + harmony, bass, acoustic guitar.

Nice one; I like the harmonies you come up with. Have you come across Turin Brakes...? See what you think of tracks like Starship and State of Things. Might be a useful mix reference.

OneWorld

#988823 - 21/05/12 10:05 PM
Will do, thanks for the heads up, I'll lend my ears to it :-)

stollypop

#988845 - 22/05/12 02:49 AM
Quote OneWorld
There was amongst the posts a claim to be Simon Cowell'ish. I have a lot of respect for Simon Cowell as it happens, yes he pans people's efforts ruthlessly, but when he says something is rubbish, he can say why he thinks it bad - :

ut of tune, timing etc" he can offer an objective critique as well as sounding off.

So anyone who just blows off for the sake of it, who is neither funny, informative, instructive and speaks without informed knowledge, I don't take any notice at all. But thanks for your 'support' anyway

So, because my views of your songs are in the negative you don't like them, and so claim i am " neither funny, informative, instructive and speak without informed knowledge" a little presumptuous there i feel, you know nothing about me or what i do. I may well be an A&R man for EMI Australia. You, turning up to a record company to have your demo heard, then seeing the A&R guy throw it out of the window would be very harsh so would he be "neither funny, informative, instructive and speak without informed knowledge'? i think not.

I sent a link to your trks to a Sound Engineer based in Adelaide to see what he thought, this is his response...................

"I wish he was fu****g dead because listening that that made me lose control of my bowels....
c**t!"

Now that's harsh.

--------------------

Bitsumishi

#988875 - 22/05/12 08:56 AM
Quote stollypop:

I may well be an A&R man for EMI Australia.

damn the 2450km commute must be a bit of a b*tch !

Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
      #988891 - 22/05/12 09:43 AM
Quote stollypop:

Quote OneWorld
There was amongst the posts a claim to be Simon Cowell'ish. I have a lot of respect for Simon Cowell as it happens, yes he pans people's efforts ruthlessly, but when he says something is rubbish, he can say why he thinks it bad - :

ut of tune, timing etc" he can offer an objective critique as well as sounding off.

So, because my views of your songs are in the negative you don't like them, and so claim i am " neither funny, informative, instructive and speak without informed knowledge" a little presumptuous there i feel, you know nothing about me or what i do. I may well be an A&R man for EMI Australia. You, turning up to a record company to have your demo heard, then seeing the A&R guy throw it out of the window would be very harsh so would he be "neither funny, informative, instructive and speak without informed knowledge'? i think not.

I sent a link to your trks to a Sound Engineer based in Adelaide to see what he thought, this is his response...................

"I wish he was fu****g dead because listening that that made me lose control of my bowels....
c**t!"

Now that's harsh.

Stollypop: You've already had one warning from a Mod about your style... Regard this as your second and last.

stollypop

Re: Lend Me Your Ears Please new [Re: Mike Stranks]
      #989053 - 23/05/12 03:39 AM
Honesty is a style? interesting. Never realised honesty could be so offensive and get you a ban from this forum. In that case..............

One World, your tracks are stunning. You should give up your day job now and get ready for pop stardom.

Is this going to get me banned? i hope not as i'm doing like you want me to, honest i really am sir.

If you do ban me for being nice please don't delete or edit this post.

--------------------

Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
      #989075 - 23/05/12 08:30 AM
Stollypop: ... and have you read your linked Private Message?

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Lend Me Your Ears Please new [Re: Mike Stranks]
      #989095 - 23/05/12 09:25 AM
Yes he has...

Stollypop, there's nothing wrong with being honest. As I have explained in my PM the whole purpose of the SOS Forums is to offer friendly, supportive, informed, and intelligent advice, and to share experience in a positive and constructive way.

This is not a site exclusively for professionals, or for award winning musicians, or established composers -- although many such people do exist amongst our members. It's a site for anyone and everyone who enjoys making music and using music technology at whatever level, from beginner to professional.

The forum rules (that you and everyone else agreed to before using the forums) specifically require that posts are not abusive or hateful, amongst other things.

Now you're new here and so we're cutting a litle slack, but if you want to denigrate other forum users then go and play in GearSlutz. That kind of behaviour seems to be the norm over there. But it's not tolerated here!

If you want to play in the SOS forums please try and post more constructive and supportive responses, and if you don't feel able on occasion then just don't comment at all. Move on to a different thread.

I see that prior to this thread you have received nothing but polite, courteous and helpful responses to your own queries. Please show the same respect to others...

And the same advice would be well heeded by a few of our other less supportive regulars too. You know who you are!

Bottom line: we want this to be a friendly and pleasant forum to use. Anyone rocking that boat can expect to be thrown overboard!

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

stollypop

Re: Lend Me Your Ears Please new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #989229 - 24/05/12 02:43 AM
Ok, Sorry.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 10534

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media