Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
sambrox

Loc: Denmark
sE The Egg v Dynaudio BM5a mkii v Neumann KH120
      #994077 - 22/06/12 07:42 AM
Just thought I'd share my experience of A/B/Cing the three sets of speakers yesterday in my local dealer's listening room

We started with The Egg, which seemed very tight and controlled with good image depth and a smooth, flat response. It wasn't strident at all and switching the mid switch to Hard barely changed this. A nice sounding speaker, I thought. Then we switched to the BM5a mkii...

An increase in the bass response was immediately obvious, with perhaps a small trade-off, clarity-wise. Again, a very smooth response and nice imaging. My first encounter with Dynaudio (even though they're designed and made over here in Denmark) and a pleasant one. Then we switched to the Neumann pair...

Wow, the bass! For a small speaker, they were incredibly loud and with the best bass response of the three on trial here. It seemed to go very deep, which made me a little suspicious, I must admit. The track that was played at this point was a dance track I wasn't too familiar with, so I'd have to go back with something I knew very well before ruling out an over-hyped low end. Having said that, the lows weren't in any way congested and seemed in line with the absolutely surgical clarity higher up in the range. The highs were maybe a tad forward-sounding. Switching back to the Dynaudios, the BM5a mkii seemed a little woolly in the lows. Just a little... The Egg, in comparison, seemed very bass light, although maybe more natural sounding.

Overall, the Neumann KH 120 blew me away with the power and bass response in combination with the mid-range clarity, all in a very small enclosure. After reading Mike Senior's book, I've been wary of ported speakers, but have come to the conclusion that a sub/satellite combo might be counter-productive until I get a bigger room, so the Neumann's are well up there on my shopping list right now.

As a side note, right after the speaker testing, I attended an SSL studio workshop and would recommend signing up for one, if you get the chance. The 30 minute lecture on workflow was extremely useful to me and got me thinking about how I can change my set-up and workflow to get on with the act of making music, rather than faffing around with technical details. An eye opener!

Cheers,
Sam

--------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sambrox
seedy.dk

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
dickiefunk

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: sE The Egg v Dynaudio BM5a mkii v Neumann KH120 new [Re: sambrox]
      #994299 - 23/06/12 08:32 AM
I had both the SE Egg's and Neumann KH120's here and both were excellent mixing tools. I spent a few days A/Bing them and tried various mixes and played stacks of reference material through them.

I ended up keeping the KH120's as I felt they offered a little more detail and depth than the Eggs and I also felt that the stereo imaging was a little better aswell but I wouldn't be disappointed in any way to have the Eggs and these had their strengths such as a fraction tighter bass.

--------------------
www.richardpenrose.com

sambrox

Loc: Denmark
Re: sE The Egg v Dynaudio BM5a mkii v Neumann KH120 new [Re: dickiefunk]
      #994307 - 23/06/12 09:51 AM
Quote dickiefunk:

...but I wouldn't be disappointed in any way to have the Eggs and these had their strengths such as a fraction tighter bass.

Agreed!

--------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sambrox
seedy.dk

MartinJG

Re: sE The Egg v Dynaudio BM5a mkii v Neumann KH120 new [Re: dickiefunk]
      #994397 - 23/06/12 09:31 PM
Dickiefunk

I am sure you had or tested AE22's at some point. How do they compare with the Neumann's?

dickiefunk

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: sE The Egg v Dynaudio BM5a mkii v Neumann KH120 new [Re: sambrox]
      #994445 - 24/06/12 10:57 AM
Hi,

Yes I had the AE22's here aswell and really liked them. I preferred the Neumanns for the work that I do.

--------------------
www.richardpenrose.com

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2286

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media