Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
davidjmaxey

Loc: Lansing, Michigan
Anyone use Reaper with Allen & Heath Zed 14
      #995215 - 28/06/12 02:19 PM
Hey all,

I'm just throwing a question out. Has anyone used reaper with a Allen & Heath Zed 14? I'm presently using the demo version of reaper with this board. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this setup?

Thanks in advance!

Dave
http://homemusicstudio1.com/about/

--------------------
Home Music Studio 1 | Read about the Best Recording Software

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
ZukanModerator
Zukan

Re: Anyone use Reaper with Allen & Heath Zed 14 new [Re: davidjmaxey]
      #995292 - 29/06/12 07:46 AM
Why, wassup Dave?

I use Reaper but not with the zed but do have a student who uses the zed with Sonar. Is it a routing issue?

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

Wimek

Loc: Holland
      #995424 - 29/06/12 04:25 PM
I use a ZED14 with Logic Pro 9 on a Mac. The ZED14 is "class compliant", in other words: it doesn't need a driver. My conclusion would be that the ZED14 works with every DAW that runs on Windows or MacOS. But then again, I didn't test that!

Gary M
Audio Technica

Loc: Northwood, London
      #995441 - 29/06/12 07:54 PM
Quote davidjmaxey:

Hey all,

I'm just throwing a question out. Has anyone used reaper with a Allen & Heath Zed 14? I'm presently using the demo version of reaper with this board. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this setup?

Thanks in advance!

Dave
http://homemusicstudio1.com/about/

There is no reason why it should not work. It is class compliant but also works with Asio 4 All on a PC. Standard Interface setup. Sorry i cant give much more advice than that as I have never really used Reaper much.

Regards

Gary

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #995444 - 29/06/12 08:50 PM
Hi Dave (great name!)
I have a ZED 10 and Reaper (paid for!) but I don't use Reaper a lot, just one of those things I have not spent much time with as yet (bought it for son and he has buggered off to France!).

My 10 feeds a 2496 sound card and this (for reasons we can go into later if you want) really renders the excellent LED meters useless. I just watch the bars in Samplitude.

I have tried the usb link and although only 16bit it is a very GOOD 16bit usb link, more than quiet enough for most field recording. There is however a problem with the usb feed and Win 7.

If I have touched upon anything you have experienced Dave, come back.

Dave.

grab

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #995721 - 02/07/12 10:55 AM
Not on a Zed-14, but used it once or twice on my Zed-428. No problems talking to the PC.

IIRC though, 0dB FS (i.e. digital clipping) happens at 0dB on the master out; and similarly a significantly low level on the master out will give you less headroom. This means that if you want to record straight off the desk via the USB port, you need to watch the levels going out of the desk. On the Zed-428 I usually use the matrix sends for any recording so that I have a bit more freedom to juggle levels, but I don't believe you get that option on the Zed-14. Also IIRC it was only 16-bit, and I wasn't sure about how good the ADC was either (although I have to admit I haven't taken the time to check this properly). Personally I preferred to use the line-outs into something which could record at 24-bit with some headroom, although YMMV.

regmor

Loc: illinois, united states
      #1005507 - 26/08/12 02:24 PM
to answer your question; "Yes". I use Reaper with A&H ZED R-16. I have not experienced or encountered major compatibility issues. Why your question, if you don't mind ...

davidjmaxey

Loc: Lansing, Michigan
      #1026131 - 28/12/12 06:51 PM
Hey Guys, so sorry I dropped off the grid on my question here. I totally forgot where I posted this one for a while ;(.

I was asking as I was trying to decide which DAW to run long term with my Zed14. Reaper does seem to work just fine but I did end up going with Sonar X1 as well. Today I've also upgraded to Sonar X2 and have added another audio interface.

It took me a while to get the drivers setup just right with both reaper and Sonar but now all works well. At first I had audio drop outs and pops while recording and mixing down. I could not get the asio driver to work at all on Window7 64 bit. I'm now use the WDM/KS setting in Sonar and that runs very smooth.

Thanks for all your input!

Have a great New years

--------------------
Home Music Studio 1 | Read about the Best Recording Software

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2861

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media