Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
woodnut

Oktava MK012 Figure of Eight Noise Issues
      #996879 - 09/07/12 01:17 PM
Hello Folks,

After geting some cracking advice for recording my acoustic, on this very forum, I purchased a matched pair of Oktava MK012 SDC mics and also a figure of eight adapter plus an extra cardoid capsule allowing me to record the acoustic using the mid side technique with two Oktava MK012s and an extra MK012 cardoid capsule. The results have been excellent.

Unfortunately in the last week or so I suddenly noticed alot of noise coming from the Oktava MK012 with the figure of eight adapter fitted, the noise was almost like wind and although this wasn't loud was audible and showed on the input meters for my fireface 400 where I could see the inputs jumping up and down.

Removing the adapter and using each one of the capsules in the adapter with the mic body produces no noise which leads me to believe that the adapter is at fault. Looking at the adapter there doesn't appear to be any components to it so am I going mad!? Could this kind of fault develop in the adapter or must it originate in the capsules or the mic body with the electronics?

I have tried the mic and adapter in two different preamps with different cables and the noise remains.

I have contacted Thomann but am yet to get a reply, I don't know if this part is under warranty and am a little unsure if it is / could be the adapter. If I do have to return it to Germany I don't know if I should be returning the mic also.

Any advice would be great as it has completly halted my project!

Many thanks!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Oktava MK012 Figure of Eight Noise Issues new [Re: woodnut]
      #996895 - 09/07/12 02:32 PM
I've not laid hands upon the adapter in question, but I presume it connects the two capsulestogether in such a way that they are effectively wired in parallel and with opposite polarities.

The noise you are describing sounds typical of what happens when there is a leakage (lower than intended resistance) path between capsule diaphragm and body contacts. It is more commonly caused by damp and dirt on a capsule, but in this case I suspect the adapter itself is either contaminated or faulty.

It is probably best to return it as faulty and try another...

If all the capsules work properly when connected directly to the mic preamp bodies, then there's no need to return them, just the adapter.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

woodnut

Re: Oktava MK012 Figure of Eight Noise Issues new [Re: woodnut]
      #999961 - 26/07/12 03:19 PM
Thank you Hugh!

I sent the adapter back to Thomann a couple of weeks ago but unfortunately have just received notification that it is on its way back and no defect was found. No info was given on what / how it was tested and when it arrived they didn't contact me to get any further information on the issue. I am not too impressed really as I am sure as per the above post that I have isolated the issue down to the adapter and I am now in the same position I was in weeks ago. The noise is certainly not acceptable.

These adapters are around £60 so I guess my only option is to buy another from Thomann and if it works perhaps I have a case for a refund / return.

My only other option would be to try and attempt a repair myself, I am not afraid to wield a soldering iron but in this case I have no clue where to begin as there are virtually no parts in the adapter.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
3 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1053

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media