SOS Forums >> Magazine, Website & Forum Feedback
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Jennifer Jones
Web Editor, Support & Social Media

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Forum Changes - Give Your Feedback
      #928520 - 20/07/11 09:45 AM
Hi all,

We recently changed the forum setup and colour scheme on Friday.

Here is an overview of the changes:

Forums Merged

Recording & Production — MRT under a new name, but with Mics & Miking, Mastering, Mix Review, DIY/Electronics/Customising, User Reports, and Vintage Gear all amalgamated in to it as well as Newbies and Site Announcements.

Product & Industry News — A new forum for manufacturers to directly post product news, and for discussion thereof. Replacing Latest News –– includes jobs, events, competitions, personnel announcements as well as product development & release news and special offers/discounts. Links, Video Media and Music Theory go in here.

Music Business — based on Music Business, includes Web Music.

Mac Music — as is.

PC Music — all PC Music & PC FAQ threads together.

Other computer/OS Music — all Atari & Linux threads in here as well as app discussions.

Guitar Technology — as is, but including bass guitars.

Keyboards & Synthesis — based on Keyboards/Synthesizers.

Studio Design & Acoustics — as is.

Live Sound & Performance — as is, but taking on the 'performance' elements of Theory & Performance.

Musicians' Lounge — an off-topic area for all things not specifically music tech-related.

Magazine & Site Feedback — amalgamation of Magazine Feedback and Site/Forum Feedback.

Support — SOS Support Forum.

Moderation & Forum Rules

More relaxed attitude.

Individuals allowed to promote their own products and services.

Dedicated area for businesses to promote their products and services.

Clearer guidelines on what constitutes spam and what is allowed (or not allowed) in signatures and profile pages.

Colour scheme

Initially changed to a lilac/lavender scheme. (Some users may report seeing a red/pink colour scheme - this is a caching issue as the current template does NOT use this style. If you are seeing these colours, please clear your cache/history, although in rare cases it could be a caching problem with your ISP.)

New colour scheme implemented this morning - more neutral teal colours.

/////

Please use this thread as a place to give your thoughts on any of the above changes. We would be grateful if you could be as constructive as possible by outlining the things you like or don't like, providing the reasons why, and suggesting changes for improvement.

Please do not post the same thing more than once - but feel free to post more than once if you want to something new to add. (Feel free to link to posts you might have made in other threads if you feel they are relevant.)

This thread will remain open until Monday 25th July, at which point SOS and the moderating team will be considering all the feedback received, and evaluating the viability and relevance of each suggestion.

So please, use this opportunity to share your thoughts and opinions.

--------------------
SOS Web Editor, Support & Social Media
Friend SOS on Facebook | Follow SOS on Twitter

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
Re: Forum Changes - Give Your Feedback new [Re: Jennifer Jones]
      #928530 - 20/07/11 09:58 AM
Ok, well if you are counting heads!
I am pretty ok with most of the changes apart from the merges so in order of prefernce I would to see back.
Noobs.
DIY
Mics
User Reviews
If possible I would like a box to tick ONCE ONLY in user cp so that one gets a thread update sent. Also a jump back into the actual thread and not just the one from the last poster.

But take it easy Jen and not too much vin blanc tonight!

Dave.

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
      #928541 - 20/07/11 10:24 AM
http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=928538& page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&vc=1#Post928538

Set up the forum mechanics so that all new posts will appear with a drop down menu of choices to tag the post with. Choices of tag names would be the names of subfora (Music Theory, Mix Review, Microphones, DIY, etc.).

Then if someone wants to do the equivalent of browse the "Music Theory" subfora of days of yore, they can just do a google search for "Music Theory Sound on Sound forum" and voila - it's like the old subfora never went away.

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

alexis

#928542 - 20/07/11 10:24 AM
Please bring back Music Theory subforum.

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

alexis

#928543 - 20/07/11 10:26 AM
Please bring back Mike Senior's new Mix Review subforum (I don't know if I have the name right ... it is the subfora that included a review of Kesha's "We are who we are" in last month's edition).

--------------------

alexis

#928544 - 20/07/11 10:26 AM
Please bring back the "Mastering" subforum.

--------------------

alexis

#928545 - 20/07/11 10:28 AM
Please bring back the "Newbie" subforum.

--------------------

ken long

Loc: The Orient, East London
Re: Forum Changes - Give Your Feedback new [Re: alexis]
      #928554 - 20/07/11 10:52 AM
Quote alexis:

<a href="/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=928538&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&am p;o=365&vc=1#Post928538" target="_blank">http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=928538&a mp;page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&vc=1#Post928538</a>

Set up the forum mechanics so that all new posts will appear with a drop down menu of choices to tag the post with. Choices of tag names would be the names of subfora (Music Theory, Mix Review, Microphones, DIY, etc.).

Then if someone wants to do the equivalent of browse the "Music Theory" subfora of days of yore, they can just do a google search for "Music Theory Sound on Sound forum" and voila - it's like the old subfora never went away.

They'd need to tag every thread. AS they've already merged fora, I doubt this will be possible. Baby and bathwater...

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

Knut Skaarberg

#928562 - 20/07/11 11:06 AM
First of all: Thanks to Jenny and the SOS staff for listening to your users. I know users can be conservative, and you've obviously given a great deal of thought to the forum changes.

I hope there's room for restoring or re-creating some speciality/expert forums, as these are the most valuable to pros and semi-pros. My suggestion is to split the "Recording and production" forum into:

1. Composition and music theory
2. Arrangement, mix and production
3. Mics and miking
4. Mastering
5. Gear reviews and discussions

--------------------
All the best,
Knut Skaarberg

jellyjim

Loc: uk
      #928564 - 20/07/11 11:10 AM
I'd advocate the return of (or even a new version of) DIY/electronics and to a lesser extent vintage gear

The case for:

(1) It's conceptually distinct from other areas particularly recording and production. Recording and production implies the use of the tools of recording and production - it's about process or method if you will. DIY and electronics (and vintage gear to some extent) is focused on aspects of the tools themselves. Their design, repair, maintenance and so on. I think there's a fundamental difference in interest between Recording and Production and DIY/Electronics/Vintage gear and it was certainly the basis of my preferences on the forum. The difference is in focus - the former is on process the latter is on the tools themselves. The tools being an end in themselves. "Gearsluts!" as it's not so delicately put by another site.

(2) In the last few years the DIY scene has gone massive from the big players like Korg releasing the schematics for the Monotron to the numerous indie manufacturers such as OTO and Mutable Instruments. Then there's open-source projects like the MeeBlip and the boutique excellence of Brian Crabtree's Monome project. And then there's lots of other stuff that seems more DIY than R&P that have been discussed here before - Henry Dagg the sound sculptor, circuit bending Etc.

.. thinking ....

I dunno ... maybe there should be a new section that encompasses all of these themes simply called

"Hardware"

Yes ... I think that could be it ... we need a I-Get-Off-On-The-Hardware-And-Like-Obssessing-Over-It forum which is what we lost when we lost DIY/Electronics and vintage gear.

But as it stands there is a large aspect of the culture of music technology that is no longer directly served in the current organisation.

--------------------
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Edited by jellyjim (20/07/11 11:14 AM)

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #928587 - 20/07/11 11:31 AM
Highest priority for me is reinstating the Mic and Mic Techniques forum - absolutely essential!

Also think it's a good idea to reinstate DIY and Mastering and Newbies as these will tend to clutter the Recording and Production forum. Perhaps Recording and Production will still be too unwieldy. Could be separated into Recording Technology and Recording Production but I'd be more relaxed about that.

Really support an off topic forum, more because the old MRT forum was used as a default off-topic rather than because I want to go there myself.

I would support the reintroduction of User Reviews, not a place I went to myself very often, but I think it is very positive to encourage people to assess gear themselves and post their results.

Like the idea of Product and Industry News, will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Regarding the relaxing of rules, I guess it's a matter of seeing how this transpires and they can easily be amended. I wouldn't like to see the forums bogged down in petty promotion or semi- spam. Maybe this could be restricted to the Product and Industry News, which sounds like it'll be a place people will go to to research new products and services.

I'm not very concerned about colour, it's content that counts, but I have to say this morning's colour scheme is easier on the eye! Helps us grumpy old men with age impaired vision!

In addition, I think it would be useful to more clearly mark, at the top of each forum a description of what would be an appropriate thread to try to resolve threads ending up in the wrong forum.

Even better (though I accept this may not be possible) when a new thread is created, and regardless of what forum the ''new thread' is created from, first up is a page of forums available with short descriptors so that the poster is more likely to select the most appropriate forum.

Some years back I suggested that posters should use real names, but after a debate it was decided that the more illustrious and famous amongst us might feel restricted by this, so I think the status quo is OK. I do find it confusing when people change names, which I think is possible?

Thank you for undertaking this survey, it is very much appreciated. Unfortunately I believe some people have left already, so it will be difficult to consider their input, but you may be able to judge their preferences from their 'exit' posts.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
      #928588 - 20/07/11 11:31 AM
New "Teal" colour is better than the lilac (but not as good as the original grey - that looked the best forum on the internet and the colour change is a downgrade).

Much of the amalgamation I can live with.

But - please re-instate:-

Microphones and Mic. techniques

User Reports

Newbies

These three are really essential, especially the first two.

The Newbie one I could live with being in the main forum. But it was introduced in the first place so new and inexperienced posters would not be put off asking questions. It actually worked very well and really should be reinstated if you want to encourage beginners to post.

It does not bother me personally if it's in with the main forum, but it is very likely to have a negative effect on the inexperienced if it's not put back.

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Frisonic

Loc: London, United Kingdom
      #928591 - 20/07/11 11:33 AM
All in all it seems to be better than ever, easier to get around and faster to use. I like the musician's lounge too. Not sure if it existed before but I didn't find it. Well done.

--------------------
Strictly project and just for fun

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #928596 - 20/07/11 11:39 AM
Looks sharp, but beyond that I haven't found much to like - sorry!

I think the removal of fora such as mic's and vintage is a bad move, but I could live with that to be honest.

My main gripe is with the fundamental changes to 'Today's Active Topics'.

My method for using the fora was to always go to 'Today's Active Topics' and see what was being replied to and by whom. I could see the hot topics and see who was involved with them. Now - zilch.

I have no idea what's happening. I don't know if a thread has been replied to and I haven't a clue who's made any replies - or how 'hot' a topic is. I'm having to go into threads one at a time, just to see - over and over again. To be honest I can't see myself keeping doing this.

It wasn't broken and it didn't need fixing IMO.

But it's broken now.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

ConcertinaChap

Loc: Bradford on Avon
      #928602 - 20/07/11 11:57 AM
I deeply miss the Microphones subforum and I think the Newbies subforum was an excellent idea. While I didn't use the other deprecated subforums much, I would be in favour of creating other subforums because I think that rolling so much into the one forum will prove (is already proving) to be a Bad Thing.

I have suggested that should the current format stay then a drop down box of subject prefixes would be very helpful, especially if also incorporated into the search routine. I understand that the forum software isn't yet capable of this. It would still be a "second best" or workaround though.

The latest shades-of-blue colour scheme is nearly as nice as the original one and I can happily live with it.

I have no opinion on the Musicians Lounge forum.

Cheers,

CC

--------------------
Remember: Tidy wires are happy wires!
Mr Punch's Studio

Jonnypopisical

Loc: Oakham
Re: Forum Changes - Give Your Feedback new [Re: ConcertinaChap]
      #928628 - 20/07/11 01:12 PM
Sorry but it's a fail for me - seems too many different groups of topics clumped together.

If it ain't broke....

--------------------
Mac Pro, Logic Pro, lots of software and 17 hard drives!

~Paul

Loc: South Herts/North London
      #928641 - 20/07/11 01:48 PM
I miss DIY too, for all the reasons Jellyjim mentioned.
In fact not only should it come back, I think it would be cool if SoS were more actively involved in DIY. Given it's recent increase in popularity, even a mag feature or two is long over due

Also..

Quote Jennifer Jones:

Individuals allowed to promote their own products and services.

So long as that isn't an open invite to spammers, and 1/minimal posters to pimp their wares & services, then I guess it's all good.

Anyway, Muchos grassy ass for listening! Jammy Dodgers are in the post..

--------------------
Paul

arkieboy

Loc: Oxfordish
      #928642 - 20/07/11 01:49 PM
I =deeply= miss the vintage forum.

Colour scheme doesn't matter - perhaps the solution is to allow people to select the CSS by personal preference. Anyway, I can live with it.

I echo the points made elsewhere about signal-to-noise. The forum hierarchy is a classification scheme for posts - having specific forums ensures that
  • questions can be found by people who can answer them
  • there is a focus for the gathering of expert groups

Otherwise questions are buried in an avalanche of other posts and you receive no answers to your problems.

Two key points here
  • the subject matter of the sub-forum is well defined so it is clear where a post belongs
  • there aren't too many sub-forums so people loose track of them
  • moderators are happy to reclassify posts so that they are seen by the right group

Above a certain threshold, I think that arguments about posting rates are spurious - I'm not a strat man and my strat is seldom played. But its there for when I need it and I need it often enough for it to be useful. Ditto the DIY - when I need it I know exactly where to go to get my questions answered.

I think there was room for four or five extra sub-fora easily... I for one would be interested in a forum covering all aspects of using computers as part of live performance, particularly VST hosts for soft synths and amp simulators. Yes, I could also read the Linux and PC forums, but I'm a mac person so I'm not interested in wading through general discussions about Cakewalk or Rosegarden to find how PC and Linux users are using their laptops onstage.

For the record, I think Vintage, Mics and DIY all met these criteria which is why there has been an outcry about their loss.

Steve

--------------------
arK music

ef37a

Re: Forum Changes - Give Your Feedback new [Re: ~Paul]
      #928643 - 20/07/11 01:53 PM
More DIY?

What a good idea! I am presently involved in making an insert loop booster (and the fekker won't work!!!!).
Let you know all.... if I can find where to put it

Dave.

Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
      #928652 - 20/07/11 02:37 PM
First, thanks for putting this thread up.

I would very much like to see the restoration of:

Newbies;
DIY;
Mics;

In that order.
Almost all the forums I visit (most of them technical in some way) have a newbies section and it is always the first one you see - I wonder why?
Even if you diligently read all the FAQs etc. a first post can still be an embarrassing disaster. Best to have these ring-fenced I think.

DIY heading could usefully be expanded to "DIY & Hardware Repairs", as a lot of threads were asking for help with broken kit. I've been burning my fingers on soldering irons since the late 1950s (but am still capable of stupid mistakes) and very much want to pass on what I've learned - it's difficult when I can't find the threads. It's also great to see people succeeding in something they never thought they could even look at.

MICs should have a 'wizard' icon! I've learned a lot about them since subscribing but still think their use is an arcane mystical science.

I don't have a strong opinion about layout style and colours - as long as I can read what there it's OK.

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

Yago
Nice bloke

#928665 - 20/07/11 03:01 PM
Thanks to the staff for the feedback thread , good to know they listen to the members (careful with the punnage :P )

I'd like the reinstatement of sections :

DIY
Mics
Noobs
Vintage

TBH the main one for me would be the DIY , but I can really see why people loved the vintage and mics section , they are a real asset and community .

Dave Rowles

Loc: Isle of Man
Re: Forum Changes - Give Your Feedback new [Re: Yago]
      #928668 - 20/07/11 03:09 PM
I would like to see:

Selectable forum colours. This option is in the forum preferences page, but it has no effect changing it. Those who like the old style can then select it, those who aren't fuss can leave it as it is!

Re-instate:
Mic forum
DIY/Electronics forum
User Reviews
Mix/User Sound Files

And I'd also like to thank Jennifer for being the buffer for our rants and raves. It's not easy being on the front line when things like this happen!

--------------------
www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

onesecondglance

Loc: Reading, UK
Re: Forum Changes - Give Your Feedback new [Re: Dave Rowles]
      #928673 - 20/07/11 03:29 PM
Quote Exavior Music:

Mix/User Sound Files

that's a good idea - it's all about critiquing mixes, whether they're commercial or not.

--------------------
hourglass | random thoughts | doubledotdash!? collective

Kwackman

Loc: Belfast
      #928681 - 20/07/11 04:10 PM
I quite like fewer forums! For me, it means a lot less clicking. I very seldom looked on some forums (mics being one, as I've got enough mics so not a lot of interest there) but I'm sure I missed out on some interesting posts. The wider forums means I just scroll past posts that don't interest me.

I really do like the "Today's Active posts" change where you only see one entry to a topic, even if it has several new postings in it. This tidies this list up, and with a limit of 200 items in this list it means there's a good chance you'll not run out of slots if there was a massive amount of posts to say another platform war topic!
But, I'd prefer if the one listing per topic showed the date/time of the LAST post rather than the date/time of the first post in the topic. Reason is that I could see if there's been a new post since I last looked.

The ratings button for posts- I don't see a reason for it. Every post will hold difrrent levels of interest for different people, and I don't care that someone thought a topic was a 5 star or a 1 star, and I'm pretty sure no-one could care if I give a topic a 5 or 1 star rating.

I don't want to be a crawler, but I do enjoy the SOS forums. I visit daily, usually several times in a day. I appreciate that they are free, you don't have to subscribe to the mag to be here. Thanks.

--------------------
Cubase, guitars.

Bradley Steenkamp

Loc: West Sussex
      #928690 - 20/07/11 04:52 PM
Not a huge fan! I know people are often keep to follow the 'less is more' way of life but in this case I feel like it's 'one step forward two steps back'.

Please bring back the 'mics' section. I really enjoyed reading and contributing sometimes to posts that were mic specific.

I see there isn't any video material in the mag (assuming that area has been stopped permanently?!) but I still think a video section could be nice to have. Although it wasn't very active it could still be useful to musicians who are looking for some tips and advice with regards to producing their own video content.

Thanks

--------------------
www.bradleysteenkamp.com

siderealxxx

Loc: Bristol
      #928697 - 20/07/11 05:05 PM
Ok, so my 2 cents:

Bring back Mics & Techniques (!) and generally restore the sub categories rather than clumping it all together. We need to maintain the specialist sections as this is what makes it unique!

I don't have a big problem with any of the colour schemes personally - it all looks awful to me

Thanks!

--------------------
Excess makes the heart grow fonder

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #928704 - 20/07/11 05:25 PM
Part of the reorganisation was about slimming down the numbers of different forums, but DIY gets lost in Recording & Production

There does seem to be a lot of interest in restoring the DIY forum, and I must admit I found this a most creative area of like-minded and practical individuals. I also agree that the Vintage forum was increasingly about repairs and restorations, which also appealed to similar people.

So, what about moving this content into the now still existing Studio Design & Acoustics forum?

This also involves a lot of DIY and electronics, tends to attract a similar sort of person, and there's far less traffic here than in R & P.

Result: no extra forums, but a much easier catch-all community of like-minded individuals in Studio DIY

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

ef37a

Re: Forum Changes - Give Your Feedback new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #928706 - 20/07/11 05:29 PM
Yes Martin I could live with that.

I hardly ever went into Studio and Acoustics, but I can, I can.

Dave.

Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
      #928727 - 20/07/11 07:25 PM
I'd go along with that too for DIY

What about newbiis and MICs though?

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

A Non O Miss

Re: Forum Changes - Give Your Feedback new [Re: The Elf]
      #928728 - 20/07/11 07:27 PM
Quote The Elf:

My main gripe is with the fundamental changes to 'Today's Active Topics'.

My method for using the fora was to always go to 'Today's Active Topics' and see what was being replied to and by whom. I could see the hot topics and see who was involved with them. Now - zilch.

I have no idea what's happening. I don't know if a thread has been replied to and I haven't a clue who's made any replies - or how 'hot' a topic is. I'm having to go into threads one at a time, just to see - over and over again. To be honest I can't see myself keeping doing this.

It wasn't broken and it didn't need fixing IMO.

But it's broken now.

THIS, absolutely...

i browse the forums mainly to check out certain posters, that's kind of hard to do now...

Jumpeyspyder

Loc: Yorkshire
      #928734 - 20/07/11 07:55 PM
'Active Topics' needs to be returned to its previous design its useless if it doesn't show who's posting - you need to see the active 'conversations'.

The only improvment that might be useful is a toggle switch to show/hide Off topic threads.

I really liked the different forums. I wouldn't read them all everyday, but if my favourite areas were quiet I'd delve into a different areas to see what was going on.

jellyjim

Loc: uk
Re: Forum Changes - Give Your Feedback new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #928735 - 20/07/11 07:55 PM
Quote Martin Walker:

So, what about moving this content into the now still existing Studio Design & Acoustics forum?

Bit tenuous to my thinking but arguable by a cat's whisker if one is subscribing to the fewer forums is better philosophy ... but I'm just not of that mindset! The specialisations of the SOS forum are what I liked and what stood it apart from others for me.

But good for you for making constructive suggestions.

--------------------
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Jumpeyspyder

Loc: Yorkshire
      #928741 - 20/07/11 08:08 PM
PS

I really like the new teal much better than the recent strange violet.(although a little shading might be nice to break up what now shows as a very white page)

I'm not keen on the idea of "Individuals allowed to promote their own products and services" I can read adverts anytime I like.
What will you do if our dear freind Russ Andrews starts posting (He would probably get some interesting replies) but would you like any old rubbish, using the SOS name as a badge of quality?

ef37a

Re: Forum Changes - Give Your Feedback new [Re: Jumpeyspyder]
      #928748 - 20/07/11 08:20 PM
Quote Jumpeyspyder:

PS

I really like the new teal much better than the recent strange violet.(although a little shading might be nice to break up what now shows as a very white page)

I'm not keen on the idea of "Individuals allowed to promote their own products and services" I can read adverts anytime I like.
What will you do if our dear freind Russ Andrews starts posting (He would probably get some interesting replies) but would you like any old rubbish, using the SOS name as a badge of quality?

What? like Amstrad advertizing in Hi Fi News? (they did you know!)

Dave.

A Non O Miss

Re: Forum Changes - Give Your Feedback new [Re: Jumpeyspyder]
      #928749 - 20/07/11 08:20 PM
Quote Jumpeyspyder:

PS

surround him like a pack of Wolves and tear him apart

alexis

#928783 - 20/07/11 10:58 PM
I would like to say that the only problem I had with the forum before the change had nothing to do with the subfora categorizations. It had to do with the very ancient-feeling interface. For example - put a smiley or emoticon - it doesn't appear at the cursor, it's way down on the bottom of the page, you have to cut/paste it up to the cursor. Bold/italic, etc. ... the way to do that with the separate window that opens seemed like about 14 extra steps more than any other forum I've seen.

The color I don't care about.

Jennifer, you have mentioned in another thread that you folks are thinking of getting a new user interface for the forum to bring it more modern, but that it was a huge deal, can't happen overnight.

Just to say I support such a change. The Steinberg.net forum transition was done pretty well earlier this year ... I suppose it's silly of me to even consider you guys don't know that ... sorry!!

--------------------

alexis

A suggestion to SOS: how to take the sting away while reconsidering what to do new [Re: Jennifer Jones]
      #928787 - 20/07/11 11:09 PM
A suggestion to SOS: how to take the sting away while reconsidering how to address the fanbase comments!

1. Create a new forum, call it "SOS Archive Read Only Forum".

2. Recover the old forum in its old structure, in its entirety, and make it accessible (read-only for now) via the above new forum.

3. "www.soundonsound.com/forum" (i.e., the url for the current forum) would be empty as of that time, to be populated from that day on.

This would have the advantage of:

1) Keeping ALL the old threads in their prior subfora, and eminently searchable. There are examples in some other posts here of simple searches not turning up posts from the old forum, that should be fixed with this.

This is based on the transition that the Cubase forum went through earlier this year: The historic Cubase.net was made read only as of date 01/xx/2011, and the new forum, steinberg.net started on that date.

Respectfully,

--------------------

zenguitarModerator

Loc: Devon
      #928794 - 21/07/11 12:08 AM
Martin got here first with one of my thoughts...

Move DIY to join Studio Design and Acoustics. The common link is that both are hands on topics. And once you think about it, there's a lot of crossover between them both.

The other thing that has been mentioned has been that the Vintage forum used to get a lot of posts about maintenance, repair, and modifying/upgrading equipment to work hand in hand with more modern set-ups.

Before the changes I used to visit all three forums daily, they were among my favourites because of the community feeling there. So could I ask if the members who especially miss those forums would comment here on whether a combined Studio & vintage DIY & Maintenance forum would be a reasonable compromise? Keep the nuts & bolts stuff there and the Keyboards & Synthesis forum would be a natural home for discussions on the actual noises and usability?

And I'll also take this chance to put up my hand and say that I have been convinced by the Microphone & Mic Techniques advocates too. It wasn't a forum I used myself and when we discussed the changes my instinct was that there was a resource that many members missed out on. But since the changes I've noticed that some of the most vehement opponents have been members who I've rarely or never seen in other parts of the forum but who have hundreds of posts to their name.

I do appreciate how strongly you all feel, I would have felt the same if Guitar Tech had disappeared because that is my natural home in the forums. Although, in my defence, I did suggest that Guitar Tech became Guitars and Other Instruments during the discussions.

But for you Microphone & Mic Techniques advocates, can I ask you all a straight question. Is there anything you feel that would be a natural compliment to that so we can broaden it out a little and maybe enhance it, rather than leave you with the feeling it is lost? I was wondering whether something along the lines of 'Microphones, Techniques, & Tracking' might be practical, so we could include DI's, Pre-Amps, Monitor mixes, general session management, and so on. Basically, everything before you hit the DAW/recorder.

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Forum Changes - Give Your Feedback new [Re: zenguitar]
      #928801 - 21/07/11 01:34 AM
That's an interesting suggestion Andy about expanding the Mics forum.

I can't only speak for myself, but I was earlier trying to think if there's other areas of my interest that aren't covered elsewhere. I thought maybe something aligned with acoustic instrument recording, I've found Hugh's old articles on this to be fascinating, also location recording is a passion of mine, but these are pretty much covered in the 'technique' part of the mics and technique heading.

However, pre-amps are closely associated with mic choice too and DIs are just another input I suppose. Maybe it's the Pre (digital) Conversion we're talking about, but then you may end up with lots of general questions about mixing desks which starts to fall between mics and recording technology.

Thinking it through, we're talking about capturing (real world?) acoustic sources here prior to being converted.

This applied to Live as well as Recording, which again is slightly confusing, my experience is that recording mic placement techniques and knowledge can be of great value when amplifying acoustic sources too.

I guess the other consideration is to ask what else is around in the way of similar forums. Being a homely sort of chap, I've only really spent time here. Occasional looks at the Neumann site, don't much like the American sites. Are we offering a niche forum that will really attract interesting debate from people in the industry.

It's all feeling much more positive now, thanks everyone.............

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

artifus

#928823 - 21/07/11 07:53 AM
i miss diy and mics.

hmmm... but which sub forum for those interested in diy microphones?

maybe diy is a bit of a misnomer, plenty of diy going on in studio design and acoustics involving power tools and saw dust. they're not afraid to open up their pc's and poke about in computers and i hear that they're often heating up their soldering irons over in guitar tech and live sound and no doubt in synth land too.

perhaps audio/studio electronics would be more apt, encompassing the theory, design, construction, modification and repair of all things audio and electric?

--------------------
ohm's where the art is

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 165998

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media