Main Forums >> Guitar Technology
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Rob C

Re: anybody wants a malmsteen owned strat? new [Re: lady_oscar]
      #504319 - 18/08/07 05:51 PM
Quote lady_oscar:

I have as much right to say what I think as anyone.

Not this...

Quote:

...anyone here ... and even worse,hearing the ones that can't probably even f***** tune up the guitar, ...you are all full of it up the nose.

I had to say what a ridicolous bunch of failures you are. ... I doubt any of you could even entertain my dog. So shut up...

Not here.

--------------------
www.bemuso.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Grantsos

Re: anybody wants a malmsteen owned strat? new [Re: Neo-Classical Guitar Man]
      #504443 - 18/08/07 11:42 PM
Technique as a topic will allways raise some heat, whether it's YM or anyone else in the public eye... I think you're over-reacting a bit.
This thread has nothing on the dumb vitriol I've seen on some other forums - they'd make much better targets for this kind of attack.
And as you yourself said, the parody video *is* funny, and there *may be* people here who have done an awful lot more than you may realise with their guitars.

Studio Support Gnome
Not so Miserable Git

Loc: UK *but works all over the pl...
Re: anybody wants a malmsteen owned strat? new [Re: Grantsos]
      #504476 - 19/08/07 01:27 AM
I'd appreciate it if people would keep their cool.

I've met YM on several occasions.... (relating to work.... not as a fan outside a gig) and although I've always admired his technique, and some of his music, he's an arrogant twat with delusions of meaning.... mind you , I'm no perfect angel either....

however, IMHO... it's one thing to be unable to play like that and bitch about how one note MEANS so much more... it's another if you CAN actually play like that.... but choose not to play a billion notes a second all the time... THAT makes for a wider musical palette for you to use creatively.... and as such, it's as much about what you DON'T play as the notes that you do play.....

for the record.... I rather enjoy a good shred..... But I'm also a big fan of the parisienne walkways bent sustained note that goes on for about half an hour....

and that's both as a player, and a listener.

Word has it my compatriot colleague ZenGuitar can shred a bit as well......

when the mood strikes....

be well

be happy.

enjoy some music , and don't resent it if it's stuff you could never achieve... just revel in the fact that some part of humanity, to which you also belong, DID achieve it somehow or other....

on a historic front... YM was hardly the first speed merchant..... nor the first neoclassical geezer.... but at the time he was undoubtedly the best..... and did much to break the mould of the blues pentatonic fixation of many rock players..... inspired Vai? not sure... But Vai replaced him in Alcatraz when he left and went solo..... and has been quoted as finding it incredibly difficult to pull off the parts that YM wrote .....

every player is unique.... or damn well should be..... it's one of the reasons i'm not so keen on the whole G.I.T. /berklee thing..... it does rather have a tendency to turn out an awful lot of "me too" speed clones .....

Technique means nothing without a distinct individual personality and style... and musical vision....

YM has that.

you may not like it... but it's undeniable....

so do Albert Lee, Satch, Vai, Moore, Clapton, Green, Mclaughlin, EVH, Angus,
so do all the other "Greats"

it's what MAKES them so damn great.

Max

--------------------
Don't get the hump when i tell you it's going to be expensive, it's not my fault , you picked the site/building/room â

Rob C

Re: anybody wants a malmsteen owned strat? new [Re: Studio Support Gnome]
      #504618 - 19/08/07 01:12 PM
Quote Max!:

...it's as much about what you DON'T play as the notes that you do play...

“Music is the space between the notes” - Claude Debussy

--------------------
www.bemuso.com

Steve Hill

Loc: Oxfordshire
      #504659 - 19/08/07 03:06 PM
Quote lady_oscar:

So shut up ...if you are so keen on ridiculizing people that should be given at least some credit,then stand up and let see what YOU have done,with your frigging guitar.

I have not tried to sell it on eBay at a laughably high reserve price just because it was mine, and for no better reason than that.

That demonstrates a certain degree of egocentricity or narcissism, suggesting that the vendor is no longer centred in the real world and may well be somewhat up himself. (Read the text of his ad. It's not about the guitar. It's about me, me, me - albeit all in the third person. I mean, WTF?)

The auction closed last night with 0 bids.

The man positively invites ridicule. Even if he can spank a plank. Your position seems to be that if someone has made a decent record or two they must somehow be beyond criticism. Now that really is ridiculous.

--------------------
Dynamite with a laser beam...

Edited by Steve Hill (19/08/07 03:11 PM)

Grantsos

#504815 - 19/08/07 07:53 PM
Just to clarify, my last post was directed at Lady oscar...

zenguitarAdministrator

Loc: Devon
      #504943 - 19/08/07 10:43 PM
Quote Max!:

Only at 13bpm...

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Dan LB

Loc: Wicklow, Ireland
Re: anybody wants a malmsteen owned strat? new [Re: zenguitar]
      #504973 - 20/08/07 12:51 AM
Quote zenguitar:

Only at 13bpm...

Grantsos

Re: anybody wants a malmsteen owned strat? new [Re: Dan LB]
      #504980 - 20/08/07 01:29 AM
LOL,
You know, I actually find the really slow stuff more challenging - getting the feel and timing right anyhow.

ePhil

Re: anybody wants a malmsteen owned strat? new [Re: Rob C]
      #505038 - 20/08/07 08:21 AM
When I started to learn to play guitar in the late 80's I received a couple of YM's plectra from his, now sadly departed, Manager Nigel Thomas.

Wasn't a fan of widdly stuff and found the 4mm thick picks a bit difficult to use at the time. I now only use one when I want to play bass with a pick.

--------------------
"Bogling: Is it the new Tango?"

Neo-Classical Guitar...

Loc: Bradford, West Yorkshire
Re: anybody wants a malmsteen owned strat? new [Re: Rob C]
      #505102 - 20/08/07 10:17 AM
Quote Rob C.:

“Music is the space between the notes” - Claude Debussy

...or the space between the ears even!

NCGM

--------------------
Footloose and fancy free...gizz a job!

lady_oscar

#505659 - 20/08/07 10:38 PM
Quote Max!:

I'd appreciate it if people would keep their cool.

I've met YM on several occasions.... (relating to work.... not as a fan outside a gig) and although I've always admired his technique, and some of his music, he's an arrogant twat with delusions of meaning.... mind you , I'm no perfect angel either....

however, IMHO... it's one thing to be unable to play like that and bitch about how one note MEANS so much more... it's another if you CAN actually play like that.... but choose not to play a billion notes a second all the time... THAT makes for a wider musical palette for you to use creatively.... and as such, it's as much about what you DON'T play as the notes that you do play.....

for the record.... I rather enjoy a good shred..... But I'm also a big fan of the parisienne walkways bent sustained note that goes on for about half an hour....

and that's both as a player, and a listener.

be well

be happy.

enjoy some music , and don't resent it if it's stuff you could never achieve... just revel in the fact that some part of humanity, to which you also belong, DID achieve it somehow or other....

on a historic front... YM was hardly the first speed merchant..... nor the first neoclassical geezer.... but at the time he was undoubtedly the best..... and did much to break the mould of the blues pentatonic fixation of many rock players..... inspired Vai? not sure... But Vai replaced him in Alcatraz when he left and went solo..... and has been quoted as finding it incredibly difficult to pull off the parts that YM wrote .....

every player is unique.... or damn well should be..... it's one of the reasons i'm not so keen on the whole G.I.T. /berklee thing..... it does rather have a tendency to turn out an awful lot of "me too" speed clones .....

Technique means nothing without a distinct individual personality and style... and musical vision....

YM has that.

you may not like it... but it's undeniable....

so do Albert Lee, Satch, Vai, Moore, Clapton, Green, Mclaughlin, EVH, Angus,
so do all the other "Greats"

it's what MAKES them so damn great.

Max

I have to say that I hear a LOT of rubbish in the so-called 'shred' stuff. Often it's a lot of nothing. You like Parisienne Walways: I love it. It's such a great song and Gary Moore has always been giving me goosebumps...and so did other players,like Jeff Healey,or Gilmour,and others that don't come to mind right now.
In fact, for the most part I really hate Malmsteen's solos,I mean it's always the same formula,the way he uses the phrygian mode in the solo sections, sounds empty and depressing...I could never listen to that more than 1 second and even then gets irritating,especially now that I have been listening only to film soundtracks for 2 years.

Malmsteen has a lot of defects in matters of music: he indulges in irrelevant soloing and many later songs do not show any appreciable progress,he did not learn anything else,and he's been too busy listening to his own voice about how great he is etc etc.
He's probably arrogant,whatever,maybe he has reasons. Think about it,his band Alcatrazz was treating him like 'the guitar player of the band' ,but the fact is, HE was the band. He wrote all the songs and played them and without him it wasn't Alcatrazz anymore. Maybe he became arrogant because of that,or maybe he was already,who knows.

But so what? One just need listening to the studio-version 'Far Beyond The Sun' to immediately realize that he invented something new,powerful and previously unheard of.
Then of course he exaggerates things and says all that stuff about Paganini and this and that...but in his heart,he does not really believes that.
Paganini was such an outstanding musician,he was a master of composition first and foremost,his Concertos are incredibly beautiful (a lot more than the Caprices,in my view).
What makes good music good,is certainly not the style,or whether the music is played fast or slow.
It's the music itself...if it sucks,you can play it slow and it will still sucks,and you can play it fast,and it will most probably suck even more...
So many people think that to have some technique is all there is to do,but this is a delusion...
One should learn a good technique,make sure that he or she can play slow,fast,vibrato,legato...but then should move onto more important things,like learning about harmony,melody....because if these things are no good,then nothing else you can do to it will sound good. And no one will care if you played it fast or slow or what amp you used or whether you plucked the string with a pick or with your nose

Anyways...I think that tracks like 'Far Beyond The Sun' by Malmsteen,or 'The Taker' by MacAlpine,or Hero Without Honor' by Vinnie Moore, or the ultra-cool Al Di Meola record that I have already mentioned,are still the best examples of 'shred'...today even more than ever,because these guys are the pioneers of their own music,and that's a lot. On tracks like the ones mentioned, there's not just speed...there are other musical skills that are more volatile than a bit of technique; and there is a vision. That's very different than learning how to sweep or to swoop as fast as you can...

Edited by lady_oscar (20/08/07 11:11 PM)

vinnyburns

Re: anybody wants a malmsteen owned strat? new [Re: Grantsos]
      #505809 - 21/08/07 09:56 AM
Quote Grantsos:

Blackmore and he were doing the first stuff where I really dug the serious "classical" flavouring (probably the last too, LOL).

Well, Schenker was also in there too, doing it long before Rhoads. I hope Schenker will not be remembered for the way he is now :-(
I don't think the guitar is overpriced 'if' you are into Yngwie and want that guitar. It's all a matter of what people are willing to pay. Is the Peter Green/Gary Moore Les Paul (or for that matter any 58/59/60) really worth £250,000. It's just a Les Paul after all and you can buy loads of nice Les Pauls for that sort of money Lots of sales a year would prove otherwise.
Unfortunately, anything over 30 years old is now considered vintage. The fact that Fender had a railroad track going to the back of their factory on Fender Avenue and were knocking out thousands of guitars a week in the pre CBS years does not seem to effect the fact that pre CBS fenders are not 'that' rare but command silly money. As do the 70's strats now. These were mass produced guitars. The 'burst Les Pauls Standards from the late 50's in contrast were actually pretty rare and only number a few hundred for the lot of them. Still...£250,000. I wish I had bought the 58 Les Paul I saw in 1987 for £8000. I had just got my first publishing deal and actually had the money. They also had a mint 54 Custom in there too for £3000 and a 57 Goldtop. If only .......haha.
As long as people are willing to buy these things as investments, well the price will keep going up. The shame is that they are only guitars and should be played not put in storage but the people I know who have them can't even get the insurance to take them on the road.
Zakk is a great player. Played with him in Japan a few times and he is such a versatile player too. It was great to see him nail any Lynyrd Skynyrd song you could throw at him and he was also into Al Dimeola stuff too. Shame he never really shows that side of his playing off. It's quite intimidating being next to him in the rehearsal studio Great player and nice guy though.
I think that footage of Joe Walsh was from the Guitar Expo in Seville. I seem to remember it being on in the evening on the day I got married in 92 :-)
Sorry for rambling.
All the best.
Vinny.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/vinnyburns

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 18518

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media