Main Forums >> Keyboards & Synthesis
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Kola

One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths?
      #742441 - 10/06/09 09:52 AM
Im considering (and I must stress considering) selling up my JP8080 and Juno 106, saving my money I already have saved and not buying the Nord Rack and the Roland Rompler (mentioned in other threads) and buying something like the Alesis Andromeda A6 or a prophet 08?

What would others do and why? Every one I have chatted to or heard mentioning the A6 had nothing but praise for them so far.

Also anyone owned an A6 or a prophet? Opinions?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
ZukanModerator
Zukan

Re: One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths? new [Re: Kola]
      #742657 - 10/06/09 05:37 PM
Yes, but each one of your synths has a different matrix, colour etc...

The A6 is a beast, no doubt about that, but you will limit yourself in terms of flexibility and colour.

Not saying it's a bad idea but one to think about carefully.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

Kola

#742658 - 10/06/09 05:42 PM
Hello Zukan

TBH, I doubt id go for this. I just enjoy creating healthy debate on synths

Seriously, I love my Juno and JP. But I do ofter wonder what if if, we all do.

I def won't be getting a pro 08 as its only bitimbral. Hardly a workhorse. Also I have heard that the A6 is damned hard to program to get the best out of it.

Still its often a thought that passes through my mind so thought id run it by the SOS psychology dept

vinyl_junkie

Loc: Kent, UK
      #742668 - 10/06/09 06:09 PM
I wouldn't buy it even if I had the money

Kola

#742694 - 10/06/09 08:12 PM
Care to elaborate Martin? Pro or A6? Why also?

vinyl_junkie

#742709 - 10/06/09 08:49 PM
Prophet fo'sho over the lame Andromeda...
This may hurt some people..but there was a mint Jupiter 8 here for only 1k....now that imo poops on both of them synths..this biatch has full blown discrete vco oscilators
What a discrete circuit is instead of using an IC (intergrated circuit aka small chip) it uses big components like capacitors, inductors and resistors..ok so it's a bit more prone to drift BUT it sounds better.
For the money of the Andromeda I want blood...I heard it and it's nothing special imo..
While the Prophet what ever it uses I know it's bound to have some balls and character..it's Dave Smith! lol
He's a small independent company so yea it's expensive but I can justify it more than smelly Alesis aka Numark aka Akai
Also you may find the A6 a bit fidly to use and program actually..

vinyl_junkie

Re: One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths? new [Re: vinyl_junkie]
      #742713 - 10/06/09 08:54 PM
Kola I recomed to you a Waldorf Pulse....please try it
People never took notice when I said it untill they got one and wen ohhhh s*itt so thats what he was on about
It's an analogue mono synth you can pick up for about 150 sheets that has a truly barking mad sound...you can even stack them up if you have more than one and it becomes polyphonic

Kola

Re: One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths? new [Re: vinyl_junkie]
      #742729 - 10/06/09 09:26 PM
Had one when they first come out mate. Very good.

First mono synth I would go for though would have to be Studio Electronics's SE-1.

Sam Inglis
SOS Features Editor

#742814 - 11/06/09 07:56 AM
Never used an Andromeda, but last year I sold my Jupiter 8 (which was the only hardware synth I had) and have since bought a few monosynths to replace it. It's way more fun and I get loads more out of the replacement gear. Yes a big analogue poly is a wonderful thing, but I don't think I would go back.

Kola

#742822 - 11/06/09 08:13 AM
Hi Sam,

What mono's did you replace it with out of interest?

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #742832 - 11/06/09 08:35 AM
Knowing your predilection for hardware I would suggest not only selecting the flavour-fest of a few separate boxes, rather than an all-in-one, but also going back a little more into history to the true analogues you clearly covet.

Failing that my first contemporary hardware purchase right now would be a Moog Little Phatty. I'd also get on the waiting list for one of those new Moog Taurus. It's all going to be about budget.

Give me a shout when your current gear goes up for sale!

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Kola

Re: One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths? new [Re: The Elf]
      #742855 - 11/06/09 09:17 AM
Hiya Elf.

Don't hold you breath re me selling my stuff. As said im more just exploring a thought here. I already know the answer.

Not sure Id like to go too far back to owning analogues now after my experience with my 101. Thanks to my recent buying and selling I now have strict parameters with what I require.

1 - Stable tuning or the ability to effectively auto tune
2 - Patch memories
3 - A synth is only as multitimbral to me as the amount of mono outs's it has. IE 32 part with 4 mono outs in my book is four parts.
4 - Must be MIDI compatible. (As I have learned MIDI to CV converters add even more tuning problems.)

I think the above pointers preclude anything from before the mid 80's and so the majority of true analogue.

As much as Id love to have (and the money to be able to actually afford) a Minimoog, Prophet 5 and a Jupiter 8 etc etc I have found with my brief experience with my 101 that 50% of your time is sent as a technician trying to keep them running or sampling due to no memories. My 106 on the other hand just switches on and off we go.

Im not doubting for one minute the superiority of these legend synths (moog, pro, Jupiter) but it seems you really do have to work had for that sound.
As said in another thread, im 36 with a 2 year old daughter, wife, University and a part time job. I need simple and effective from the off set.

I honestly love the position I am in. I am finally at a stage where I at least have an idea of the direction I am heading in with what kit I knew. I know one mans meat is another mans poison but the hardware and indeed studio I build is already dictated to me by life. Until I can earn a full time income through music (extremely doubtful ever) this is no doubt the way it will be.

I do love running all these questions by board members here. I have learned so much here just running things by other members. Thanks to you all.

Sam Inglis
SOS Features Editor

#742887 - 11/06/09 11:07 AM
At the mo I've got an MS20, a Polivoks and a Kawai/Teisco S100p. I'm vaguely on the lookout for a smaller and cheaper polysynth like a Juno or Polysix but don't feel any urgent need.

Dunno about other polys, but the Jupiter was built like a tank, I never really had any reliability problems with it, and you could always dump the memories to a computer via the tape interface. But what I found was that I spent ages programming great sounds that never fitted into my tracks, and that for the poly sounds I did want in my tracks, soft synths did the job fairly well. The JP8 does sound great, but in some ways quite tame next to a fully analogue monosynth like the MS or Polivoks. Yes you can stack all 16 oscillators in Unison mode, but it doesn't usually give you useful results, and you can't abuse the filters in the same way.

Beerma§ter

Loc: London
Re: One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths? new [Re: Sam Inglis]
      #742912 - 11/06/09 12:35 PM
Well with your requirements there is quite a choice out there. I would be working out If wanted a Rompler synth with tones of everything from sampled sounds to synth OR a dedicated synth that sounds great as a synth ( but not good at acoustic emulations ! )

A6 is a love or hate thing. I have the second unit to hit the UK - don't use it much when I do It's just right. Excels at unusual and complexed sounds especially evolving pads and such.

Maybe you should think about an Oberheim Xpander. 4 part multitimbral - individual voice outs. THE original MIDI-Modular architecture with amazing power and versatility .

Omega 8 - LOADS of money but quality sound... limited mod routings.

Lester Barnes.

The Silent Coup

#742922 - 11/06/09 12:54 PM
Get the A6. end of story!

Weve been using one for the past 7 years, and it is still a joy to use. Once you get to know it, the interface is quick to use, intuitive, flexible, and clear (you will be hard pressed to find a bigger screen on a synth).

The sounds that come out of it are immense. As Dnb/jungle producers, it provides everything we ever need: from techy stabs and lush sweeping pads, to tearing LFO monstrosities and the deepest sub tones imaginable. The freqs and overtones go lower than we need (and hear!). The filters sound great as well, with the option of LP/HP/BP/notch as well as pre-filters. While it can be a fight to get good sounds out of it, the rewards are endless.

Not to mention, you can also run up to 16 voices simultaneously with their own separate outputs, although these do get eaten up if they are polyphonic. However, if the voice is routed via that master out rather than a voice out, this can be avoided.

There are also massive routing options which, despite the years, we still havent got out heads around. FM modultation, sub-OCS', engine optimiser, 3 envelopes, audio inputs for filters, sequencer (complex but deep), arpeggiator... its just too sick.

Of course, your decision depends on your musical intentions as well as your budget. But if youve got the funds, get one. Get one!

--------------------
The Silent Coup's Soundcloud page

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #742931 - 11/06/09 01:21 PM
I'm surprised you’re finding the 101 CV tuning such a problem Kola – I wish I could take you through it one time and show you how easy it is! The 101 is a fairly stable synth tuning-wise – once done the volts-per-octave would probably not need re-trimming for years.

I re-trim the volts-per-octave span on all my analogue monos in about 5 minutes every few months - it's certainly not a major undertaking. Other than that all they need is a quick tweak of the tuning knob before an important take.

The tip about the Oberheim Xpander is certainly a good one. Expensive, but what a monster of a synth! And it has an autotune feature…

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

narcoman

#742940 - 11/06/09 02:02 PM
Quote vinyl_junkie:

This may hurt some people..but there was a mint Jupiter 8 here for only 1k....now that imo poops on both of them synths..this biatch has full blown discrete vco oscilators
What a discrete circuit is instead of using an IC (intergrated circuit aka small chip) it uses big components like capacitors, inductors and resistors..ok so it's a bit more prone to drift BUT it sounds better.
For the money of the Andromeda I want blood...I heard it and it's nothing special imo..
While the Prophet what ever it uses I know it's bound to have some balls and character..it's Dave Smith! lol
He's a small independent company so yea it's expensive but I can justify it more than smelly Alesis aka Numark aka Akai

as an owner of a Prophet 5, Prophet 08 and an A6 - wildy wildy different beasts. Not even for the same things at all - like comparing oranges and sheep.

The A6 is a very good synth - starting to sound a little dated though... and all over media music like CSI.... Prophets - GREA synths, but very much in that vein of analogue synths. you'll not get Prodigy basslines out of one, for example. heh.... Yes on the "deep and lots to get lost in "

New love at the moment - is the Monomachine..... but that aint vintage

Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
Re: One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths? new [Re: narcoman]
      #742949 - 11/06/09 02:21 PM
Quote narcoman:

as an owner of a Prophet 5, Prophet 08 and an A6 -

It's official. I now hate you!!

(jealousy is such an ugly thing...)

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

ZukanModerator
Zukan

Re: One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths? new [Re: narcoman]
      #743053 - 11/06/09 05:28 PM
Quote narcoman:

as an owner of a Prophet 5, Prophet 08 and an A6 - wildy wildy different beasts. Not even for the same things at all - like comparing oranges and sheep.

The A6 is a very good synth - starting to sound a little dated though... and all over media music like CSI.... Prophets - GREA synths, but very much in that vein of analogue synths. you'll not get Prodigy basslines out of one, for example. heh.... Yes on the "deep and lots to get lost in "

New love at the moment - is the Monomachine..... but that aint vintage

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

narcoman

Re: One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths? new [Re: Dave B]
      #743060 - 11/06/09 06:03 PM
Quote Dave B:

Quote narcoman:

as an owner of a Prophet 5, Prophet 08 and an A6 -

It's official. I now hate you!!

(jealousy is such an ugly thing...)

i was gonna give you them as well...... darn it.... and I guess they're not strictly mine, but the companies..... sooooo

Speaking of nice pieces of kit. The Dave Smith Mopho is a great little thing - and a great price to boot. Sort of thing you could plop a nice mono bass sound on a live sequencer.... really cool .... seriously recommended.

Peter Conz Connelly

Loc: Tyne & Wear, UK
      #743136 - 11/06/09 10:25 PM
Quote Kola:

Had one when they first come out mate. Very good.

First mono synth I would go for though would have to be Studio Electronics's SE-1.

I have to say... I owned as SE-1X, sold it for £1200 and replaced it with a Pulse+ for £200 which isn't all that different. The Pulse, IMO, is the better mono-synth. As others have said, you'll know why if you get to play with one. WOW!!!

P

--------------------
Composer, Songwriter, Producer, Sound Designer
www.peterconnelly.com

steveman

Loc: London - UK
      #743142 - 11/06/09 11:00 PM
Quote vinyl_junkie:

The new Prophet actually uses DCO's(OMG!), and 8 Curtis VCF/VCA chips, so by your definition should sound even worse.

You can't simplify the sound of an instrument down it "it's discrete, therefore way better than anything else", there's a lot more too it than that. Never found the Andromeda smelly either.

On the few occasions I've fiddled with the Andromeda it's not blown me away, but I know it's a real programmers synth that takes time. Did find it fiddly to use too. Reckon the Prophet is more immediate.

jellyjim

Loc: uk
      #743151 - 12/06/09 12:04 AM
Quote vinyl_junkie:

Dave Smith! lol

You can't really make that equation, certainly not in that order anyway. Numark acquired Alesis in 2001 and then Akai Professional in 2004. Whilst the A6 release was around 2000/2001, it's development certainly pre-dates the Numark acquisition.

--------------------
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
Re: One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths? new [Re: steveman]
      #743154 - 12/06/09 12:33 AM
Quote steveman:

The new Prophet actually uses DCO's(OMG!), and 8 Curtis VCF/VCA chips, so by your definition should sound even worse.

You can't simplify the sound of an instrument down it "it's discrete, therefore way better than anything else", there's a lot more too it than that.

Quite. A lot of old analogue polys used Curtis and SSM chips.

The much acclaimed Oberheim Xpander/Matrix 12 is made of chips for the analogue signal path but the LFOs and envelopes, etc., are actually software.

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

hollowsun

Re: One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths? new [Re: jellyjim]
      #743158 - 12/06/09 01:09 AM
Quote jellyjim:

You can't really make that equation, certainly not in that order anyway. Numark acquired Alesis in 2001 and then Akai Professional in 2004. Whilst the A6 release was around 2000/2001, it's development certainly pre-dates the Numark acquisition.

Indeed.

The 'Andy' was an ambitious project that pretty much buggered the old Alesis (that and Masterlink I think) and when they were in trouble, they were acquired by Numark. Numark were such ruthless, smelly bastards that they, ermmmm, funded the projects through to their conclusion so that Alesis could finish them and get the A6 and Masterlink to market. The A6 is an excellent polysynth with a lot of depth and power that has a strong user base and a lot of very devoted fans (oh - and the Masterlink is still in production and sells well).

As you say, Numark acquired Akai in 2004 and once again, the bastards were so smelly and ruthless that they, ermmmm, funded the re-release of Akai's popular DPS24 24-track 'digital studio' as well as getting the troubled MPC4000 into as good a shape as they possibly could before (reluctantly) discontinuing it owing to the unavailability of some rather obscure components the 'old' Akai chose for the product. Numark also funded the further development of the EWI resulting in a new model as well as further development of the MPC range.

Numark could have, if they chose, dropped all of these products and just acquired the technology for themselves. But they didn't. And although Alesis and Akai are under the umbrella of Numark, the companies remain pretty autonomous even if there's some commonality between them and a sharing of resources ... which makes perfect sense now in this economic climate.

--------------------

Dave B

#743214 - 12/06/09 08:58 AM
Interesting that Narcoman rates the Mopho. And I almost went for a Pulse a couple of times many moons ago.

I've been having analogue acquisition thoughts recently but I never even considered the Andromeda. I understand that they pretty much stabilised the reliability but at launch it was very flaky and I was put off. Plus I didn't really _get_ it - a lot of money for a hardware synth as the world was looking to downsize makes it a niche item for me. Oh .. and I thought that it looked pants too!

The Prophet 08 is _very_ tempting at the moment, with just lack of funds stopping me rushing out to sound one out. So I am taking another look at modern machines again. The Little Phatty may have a lot of high profile users, but I just can't get beyond the fact that I'd always resent it for not being a Voyager - and those are still very highly priced. Plus, it seems a little 'sharp' for my tastes - those envelopes are so fast that they hurt my poor old ears for some reason.

What I have been drawn back to are the DSI Evolvers - the mono evolver looks very tempting at it's pricepoint. I'm going to have to try and have a listen to them and see what they are like as synths and see if they float my boat. The specs say yes, but it's all about the sound.

Given that Kola has a JP8080 and Juno106 already - both fine Roland synths - I'd be looking at some additions rather than ditching everything for one sound. Oberheim Matrix 1000s are programmable by PC editors and have a good, weighty, 'American' sound. Old Ensoniqs have an interesting sound, as do E-mu 'romplers' as opposed to more Roland. Or how about looking at Waldorf? Good things have been said about the Blofeld.

So many options! So little cash!

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

vinyl_junkie

#743318 - 12/06/09 12:26 PM
Yeah think I was a bit ott on the A6 and Alesis but going to Akai I wish they would of dropped the MPC's totally after the 4k which is a brilliant machine imo.
I know Hollowsun you got a 1k but I really didn't like where they went with the MPC line and how it's marketed or the feel of them compared to the 3000 or even the slightly cheaper feeling 2000XL but this is just my personal preference, when my 2000XL gives up the ghost I'll get a 4000.
Blofeld hey lol I just got one after slagging new Waldorf off lol after looking into it and if it lives up to the hype then it should be a nice machine. I should get it in a few days time..got a good deal too..I don't usualy buy new gear but this was cheap..330 inc postage from the UK brand new from a shop and also bundled is the Waldorf synth collection VST's
Any way it does have a few bad points like only a stereo out and for a 16 part multy synth is imo really really lame but they wouldn't of sold it so cheap if it had 4 or 8 outs.
What swayed me was all the XT and Wave wave tables and the PPG filter model which the XT didn't have..another bad thing is it looks like a girls purse and it's not rack mountable lol
I used to own a Micro Q few years back which I didn't like..I proffered the biger Q sound and I loved the pads from the XT..also the Pulse was a favorite too so I hope this is nice too.
How much are JX-3P's worth now days if any one in Kent wants a good condition one let me know cos I'm not posting this thing.

Edited by vinyl_junkie (12/06/09 12:30 PM)

narcoman

#743411 - 12/06/09 04:01 PM
interesting. Of all the MPCs I've had my fave was the MPC2000..... not the XL, just the straight 2000. It was solid and tough.... lasted a gruelling tour through 2000 and several rainy festivals....

Yup on those evolvers - something a little different aint they. Might drop for one.....

vinyl_junkie

#743447 - 12/06/09 06:12 PM
Evolver's are realy nice imo, I would love the poly evolver but it's a bit pricey.

Kola

#743454 - 12/06/09 06:35 PM
Hi guys,

Sorry been absent a day.

I heard that the evolvers sound digital but ive never heard one myself to comment. I can say one thing though. Name any synth and I can find 100 threads slagging them off and another 100 saying there awesome.

As said at the start of this thread this was just a though to run by the guys and hey, I love taking synths and hearing others opinions.

Can't see the day coming whan I want to sell my JP and Juno though.

Im tempted back towards another supernova 2 as what I need at the mo is something that is good at multitimbility. SN2 is 8 part and has 8 outs. Think it would fit the bill quite nice. Could use the JP for leads and the Juno for Bass (love the warm bass of the 106) and the SN2 could fill in the gaps. Great for trance also as it can have a separate arpeggiator on each channel.

Wondering where the Nord Lead 2x would fit into this. Was the Nord lead 3 any cop? If so how comes they stopped making it and they still make a guise of the Nord Lead 2? Or have I answered my own Q here.

vinyl_junkie

#743455 - 12/06/09 06:40 PM
Nord Lead 3 imo doesnt sound as nice as the Lead 2..my friends who owned both also think the same BUT others may say different. I for one agree with them
The Lead3 is replaced by the Wave or what ever it's called and the Lead 2 is the Juno 106 of the 00's and late 90's imo lol popular virtual analogue with a distinctive clavia sound that is loved by many.
I'm surprized you want a Supernova 2..always found them a bit plastic sounding...I think it was mainly due to the poor fx and how much they splashed on them on those awfull trance presets..back them off a little and it fits in the mix a lot better but it took me ages to work that one out lol
I was a Novation freek at one point I guess I od' on them a little lol I wouldn't mind one again..the KS rack was also a nice unit you see dirt cheap now.
I want a bass station again though for old times sake.
The Supernovas have their good and bad bits..and I would use them for creamy woop sounds lol like those creamy pads with a phaser on them lol

Kola

#743459 - 12/06/09 06:54 PM
The wave doesn't cut it for me mate. Like the Pro 08 its only bi-timbral and im looking for a workhorse I suppose.

The nord lead would still be shy with only 4 parts but I could cope. 6 or 8 parts would be better though.

If the Nord 2 was the 106 of the 90's Im gonna guess the JP8080 is the Jupiter 8. I honestly cannot see any virtual analogue beating a JP for me. Of course I am open minded as ever

vinyl_junkie

#743467 - 12/06/09 07:20 PM
I know I don't like them but have you thought about a Virus B or C? Imo these kill the Supernova's...not as easy to use but sound wise they got more balls than novation and sound more analogue than a lead or nova..to me any way

Personaly though I don't care about it's features or if it's multy-timbral or not..what sway me is how they sound..if I want more parts I could a) record it in audio or b) sample it on the Akai's

Kola

#743474 - 12/06/09 07:29 PM
Yeah Ive tried Multisampling and also multi tracking but it doesn't work for me. I like the flexibility of MIDI. Mixing down to me is so final. Id rather mix from MIDI direct to wav.

I seem to work on different parts of a track at different times and what part is what mood im in.

Hence needing a multi timbral synth.

Never tried the Virus's mate. I have looked into them but I used to own a Novation Nova back when I packed in music tech for the final final time in around 1999 or something. I got on quite well with it but that was then.

Hows that new studio coming on you were helping your mate with? I left a comment on you tube.

vinyl_junkie

#743475 - 12/06/09 07:42 PM
Yo' man..think you will love the Virus..rich, warm and creamy sound on the C
I wouldn't get a Novation just from the fact I already had one and would want to try something else..fresh

Ah yeah forgot about that..here is the gear list from the top of my head...might go there tomorrow but my synth might come in the post lol
Mackie analogue 32 channel 8 buss mixer
Mutronics Mutator
MOTU 8x8 MIDI interface
Motu 2408 mk3
API-2500 stereo buss compressor
BSS compressor I can't remember the model number of
Hammer EQ
Moog Voyager Rack
Akai S-3000XL
Akai MPC-3000SE
Nord Rack 1 with voice expansion card
Yamaha Motif ES88
Roland JV-1080
Waldorf Pulse
Mackie HR624 mk1 monitors
Mac5 power pc thing runing Logic8 pro with UAD card
Pioneer CDJ-800mk2
Original Urei 1620 with custom external PSU
think the modified turntables are sold...
He's getting an Eventide and Lexicon reverb's soon also

vinyl_junkie

#743476 - 12/06/09 07:51 PM
Any way it's not what gear you have it's what you do with it that counts.....
I like that studio a lot..that API sounds amazing, it's like the tracks are playing from vinyl
BUT you know me..ghetto style lol
I love to work like this guy did a while back

"In March 1997 the MPC-2000 took over sampling and sequencing from the Amiga and the Atari. The first track I did with the MPC was Let Me Luv U. After that I've never really used computers too much in the studio -apart from running the software for Clavia NordModular, my new fave synth later in 1999. Also Kawai 100 F came in, BassStation, Casio CZ1000, and a new mixer, Soundcraft Spirit Folio. Both The Spirits Inside Me and When No One Is Watching We Are Invisible were recorded with these equipment. "

Love his early tunes too, made on that great basic setup..thats what inspires me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75OaPQNJLJY&feature=channel_page He releases stuff on Eric Morand's and Laurent Garnier's lable..F Comm

Kola

#743485 - 12/06/09 08:28 PM
Re your mates studio, its good to see people still like to use the hardware approach still now. Very impressive set up. He a lotto winner or something? Must be 10k of kit there.

For minimal set ups and max results look no further than Aphex Twins selected ambient works. In my view one of the best most original slices of electronic music since Oxygene.

Done on a Casio FZ10, modified Roland SH-101 and Roland chorus. Not sure if he used the sequencing program he wrote for the ZX Spectrum here or if he'd moved on by then.

vinyl_junkie

#743486 - 12/06/09 08:34 PM
Nah mate no lotto winner..Carpenter and works bloddy hard for it too.
He's also a very talented dj and has played lots of cool places

I like my ghetto hole of a studio lol the more I read about this Blofeld the better it gets! lol
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun08/articles/waldorfblofeld.htm

Some one please buy my jx3p lol Yo' Kola how much do you rekon it's worth? I don't have a clue

Kola

#743487 - 12/06/09 08:40 PM
Id say around 150 - 250 mate.

arkieboy

Loc: Oxfordish
      #743502 - 12/06/09 09:34 PM
JX3P

I replaced my GR700 (with velocity sensitive JX3P sound unit and PG Programmer) with a Matrix 6R and GM70 and NEVER looked back!!!!!

NEVER!!!!

My 6R is still in my synth rack behind me 20 years later and I'd only sell it to replace it with a Matrix 1000.

But I guess I'm more of an Elf sort of person! And definitely not on Vinyl Junkie's wavelength!

Steve

--------------------
arK music

vinyl_junkie

Re: One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths? new [Re: arkieboy]
      #743515 - 12/06/09 10:37 PM
Lol most likely..i'm on my own wavelength hahah
The JX ain't bad, I like it's strings the most but I want something with greater scope and i'm skint so some thing has to give.
This is my JX with some sounds I did on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3VzYtZiIEA&feature=channel_page

any way I love american poly synths...Ob's rock but then I like 80's pop cheese and new wave among many other things lol

Kola

#743569 - 13/06/09 07:55 AM
Were all on totally different wavelengths (How dare Elf not like the 303, does he know how much dancing I used to do in the middle of fields back in 1990???) but then we all produce totally different types of music.

I really like hearing how different people do things.

The biggest problem is of course the youtube kids. Take Vinyl Junkie for a good EG. We like different ends of the scale when it comes to electronic dance music, he likes more funky weirdness and I am def more trancy. However as much as I like some of his stuff on Ebay there are two tunes I think superb.
However alot of people ask him what kit he uses and rush out and buy it to sound exactly like him. This isn't going to happen, these synths all us anaracks lust and slaver after are just tools, not thing more. (Well, maybe damn sexy tools)

Its vinyl junkie that makes a good tune with his tools or who ever with whatever they have. Just using VJ as an EG here, substitute with anyone you respect.

Now, whilst I love the way were all on our own wavelength and like different products it make it damned hard for me or anyone to get any serious recommendations out of anyone as what works for one is atrocious for another.
This is where Ebay comes into it for me. Wheeling and dealing and selling on others recommendations that don't work for me and keeping the 8/10 plus ones that do.

flo

#743636 - 13/06/09 01:17 PM
Quote Kola:

For minimal set ups and max results look no further than Aphex Twins selected ambient works. In my view one of the best most original slices of electronic music [deleted ;-)]

Done on a Casio FZ10, modified Roland SH-101 and Roland chorus. Not sure if he used the sequencing program he wrote for the ZX Spectrum here or if he'd moved on by then.

While I am happy to find someone else who thinks the same about that album (and artist in general), I am not sure about the gear statement. This collection of tracks is from a long time span and even on the remastered CD you can hear how different in sound they are. Also, A. Twin was known for buying loads of old synths (at a time when nobody wanted them) like arp 2600s, korg ms20s, roland beatboxes, and lots of other stuff. That a whole album of such a synth enthusiast is made by just two synths therefore seems a bit hard for me to believe. From where did you get that statement or is it just a 'known fact' which did not make it to my (admittedly remote) valley? ;-). Would really interest me...
cheers
flo

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/schmuckfenster

Kola

Re: One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths? new [Re: flo]
      #743639 - 13/06/09 01:35 PM
As far as I know it was from a warp special or other interview with Future Music that I read personally but it was so long ago I couldn't say for sure. He kept saying how he modded his hardware so they didn't resemble much like they would originally.

You think the tracks on the album sound different? I honestly think it sounds like the exact same instruments playing different tunes all the way through.

Apparently it was all recorded to casssette also and his mate kept the master which got lost so the CD we all have is a copy of a master cassette.

Kola

#743640 - 13/06/09 01:41 PM
also forgot to mention the 808

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #744017 - 15/06/09 08:56 AM
Although this has moved a bit OT, I wouldn't believe anything the Aphex Twin has said in interviews, he's not known for his honesty!

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Dave B

#744121 - 15/06/09 01:49 PM
After all the talk recently of the Nord Lead 2x, I made a point of trying one out at LIMS. Nice. Me likey. I'm just in the mood for a proper 'synth' type keyboard with much knobbage and twiddly bits and I liked that it was quite versatile. Not convinced at the retail price though.

On the other hand, I thought that the Nord Wave was bland, soulless garbage. Samples? yeah .. right .... nobody else is doing that ...

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

Shreddie

#744175 - 15/06/09 04:55 PM
Quote Kola:

What would others do and why?

In my case, I have a mix of synths. Alesis Andromeda and Fusion 8HD, Kawai K5000s, Yamaha EX7, FS1R and PSS-480. Other than the PSS-480 which I’ve had since I was a kid, mostly, they’re all different flavours of synths with different synthesis engines at their hearts… That’s why I have them.

Quote vinyl_junkie:

What?! Lame?!

Last year, I was looking for a good analogue poly of some sort and it came down to a choice between the Andy and the Prophet. I spent some time playing a Prophet 08 but didn't get the chance to try an Andromeda... Instead, I went on youtube vids, reviews, forum posts etc. I chose the Andromeda and there are a number of reasons why...

Firstly, the Prophet is a nice synth, but to my ears, it always seems to sound quite 'plinky-plonky'... A bit lame and well behaved IMO. The Andromeda on the other hand can do 'plinky-plonky' if you want it to but covers a massive variety of sound besides that. It can fairly closely emulate most analogue synths if you take the time to program it, it‘s a chameleon . It has a very wide brush whereas the Prophets brush is quite narrow. Secondly, I like power. The Prophet seems rather limited in that respect when you look at the features of the Andromeda. Thirdly, there's the polyphony and multi-timbrality they offer... The Andromeda is a clear winner. Finally, there's the effects. The implementation of those in the Andromeda is a bit naff but they're still useable and a nice extra.

All that is academic though, as a previous poster said, they are wildly different beasts.

Quote Kola:

Andromeda… The auto tune takes between 2 and 4 minutes in my experience depending on how out it is. It can ‘background tune’ but that has seemed more trouble than it’s worth so I leave it switched off and leave temperature tuning on…. Like that, I hardly ever have to tune it, even if it’s not been used for a couple of days… In fact, I haven’t tuned it for over 2 weeks and it’s still fine.

Quote:

2 - Patch memories

The Andromeda has 128 user (as standard) though you can overwrite the 2 preset banks in one go... You can expand the memory… I got a 2 meg card for mine which I have set to give me an extra 6 banks (for patches) and 4 banks for mixes.

Quote:

3 - A synth is only as multitimbral to me as the amount of mono out’s it has. IE 32 part with 4 mono outs in my book is four parts.

Andromeda has 16 individual outs (on 8 jacks, you need something like insert cables to use them). There are also, the main outs (which carry the effects) and the 2 Aux outs which are set up as a stereo pair. however, by setting up your patches panned hard left and hard right to the Aux, you can have two outputs for polyphonic patches. I currently have one going into my Nightbass effects unit and the other going into my A3000. From there, including the main outs, everything goes to my mixer.

Quote:

4 - Must be MIDI compatible. (As I have learned MIDI to CV converters add even more tuning problems.)

The Andromeda obviously has MIDI but you have to be careful when sending dense streams of data as it can lag a bit. In practice, it's only a problem with multi-timbral set-ups when you're sending tons of controller data... However, the Andro can thin the MIDI controller data it outputs via an option in the global menu.

Quote:

As said in another thread, im 36 with a 2 year old daughter, wife, University and a part time job. I need simple and effective from the off set.

If you believe what some people say... Don't get an Andromeda!

I think quite differently though. If you look at something like an old analogue or the Prophet 08, they're all straight forward, 'immediate' synths... They are however, pretty fixed and limited in terms of their architecture. Looking at the feature list of the Andromeda, you would be forgiven for thinking it might be very complex to program... And it is... But only if you want it to be. If you want it to be as simple as some older synths... Forget about what lies in it's menus and just 'fly it' using nothing but the front panel controls. Just start with an init patch and go from there... In an init patch, the three envelopes are sent to pitch, filter and amp and various other controls are pre-mapped. In fact, there's someone I know from another forum who does exactly that and hardly ever delves into the deeper aspects of the menus.... However, when you want to do some things that these older synths can't, but in an easier way than you might find on an Expander... Start menu diving... Though be warned... It is extremely deep!

EDIT:- But if you want a true 'do it all' synth... Get an Alesis Fusion!

Edited by Shreddie (15/06/09 04:57 PM)

Kola

Re: One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths? new [Re: Shreddie]
      #744178 - 15/06/09 05:04 PM
Hey Shreddie,

Absolutely loved your post. Some superb info on there. The more and more I find out about the Andromeda (im researching hard elsewhere also) the more I I am getting itchy feet with my 106 and JP and think it may be the way to go. Give me a week and Ill have one lol.

Thanks for explaining the outputs. I couldn't for the life of me work out how I got 16 stereo outs from 8 jacks?
On that note, Can I use 8 usual Jack cables to 8 mixer ins or do I have to use these breakout thingys?

Shreddie

#744184 - 15/06/09 05:30 PM
As I said, you'd need something like an insert lead... They have one TRS (stereo) jack at one end which splits into two TS (mono) jacks at the other. IIRC, the tip of the TRS jack will output the odd numbered voice and the ring will output the even numbered voice... The ground is common to both obviously.

As I say, it is an extremely deep and complex synth so I can perfectly understand why some people (myself included) have had trouble getting their heads around some aspects of it... The 'CROUTES' (mod routes) in particular. But the beauty of it is, with all those fromt panel controls, that it doesn't have to be too hard if you don't want it to be, You need only delve as deep as you need to go.

To give you a better idea, there's kind of three layers to the programming of it. 'Easy mode' as I'll call it, is front panel only. Medium mode involves the front panel but also uses the screen and soft knobs... Pressing any button or moving a control immediately updates the screen to show the parameters associated with that section, some of those may not be availbale from the dedicated front panel controls. Hard mode involves both of those but also requires some menu diving and burning out of your brain cells! The only time I really need to do that is when I'm setting up complex mod routings, changing the response curves of the envolopes or editing the effects... Regarding the envolope response curves, in normal init patches, the curves are linear IIRC but you have several varieties of logarithmic, exponential ans 'S' curves to choose from too... That is one place where it pays to spend some time if you want it to closely emulate the sound of other synths.

One thing, the LFO's are very slow indeed... If you want a really fast LFO (in the audio range) you'll need to loop an envolope... The envolopes run on a much faster processor cycle so can achive 'LFO' speeds of upto 5000Hz (I think) whereas the LFO's only go to 25Hz.

Kola

#744213 - 15/06/09 08:12 PM
Thanks mate.

So would I be able to use a standard Jack cable to tied me over or would these out's only work with a breakout cable?

Think Id stick with easy mode thanks haha

Shreddie

#744225 - 15/06/09 09:04 PM
Quote Kola:

So would I be able to use a standard Jack cable to tied me over or would these out's only work with a breakout cable?

Only a breakout cable I think... I'm not 100% sure though. You'd probably get either 2 voices summed that way (with a TRS lead) or no sound from one of the voices... There is a small chance that you could fry something inside the Andro if you used a TS (mono/unbalanced) cable though... So try it at your own risk!

Personally, I've never used the individual outputs, I just use the main and the aux outs... Though I may be using the voice 15/16 outs soon as I'm planning on processing some external audio which can be set to go through those voices.

hollowsun

#744247 - 15/06/09 10:36 PM
Quote Kola:

I think you'll just get one of the voices out of each. I imagine the circuitry is protected to prevent damage if a mono jack is inserted.

--------------------

vinyl_junkie

#744407 - 16/06/09 02:19 PM
Kola my man what ever you get in terms of analogue poly you have to check this Blofeld out at all costs to compliment the analogue synths! I'm grinning from side to side here...it's not good..it's very good!!!!!
If you don't like the waldorf sound then don't buy one though cos it sure still sounds like a Waldorf..just more refined...
Also it will be able to do everything the nord wave can and more...there is already a piece of software that enables you to load up to 60mb of samples into it with the optional expansion and later I have been told once that side is done they will try and make software where you can create your own wavetables...also they want to add Micro Q and Q patch compatability.
If you are thinking it's only a wavetable synth or sample based it's not cos you also have analogue modeling oscilators in it...for 320 quid PLUS all the Waldorf VST's (except the Largo) which are bundeled holy cow this is good.

vinyl_junkie

#744408 - 16/06/09 02:36 PM
Check it out in action Mickey.. (If you don't like loopy techno or wavetebles don't click lol)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNO_Snjws7s&feature=channel_page

Kola

#744422 - 16/06/09 03:20 PM
Na, don't think it would be for me but thanks for the recommendation mate. Only one stereo out and a main out.

Is that what you youngans call techno these days?
Im my day that would be sort of dub / laid back swingy type house.

vinyl_junkie

#744425 - 16/06/09 03:33 PM
Detroit techno a'la Robert Hood and Mike Huckaby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Zaaw_e0Yk&feature=channel_page

All made on the Wave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Vb9_Zd-ZU

Kola

#744430 - 16/06/09 03:41 PM
i must be getting old. This is Detroit Techno to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTwj48Q7-Yw

Techno to me was always in your face. Not elevator type background music. No offense intended.

vinyl_junkie

#744435 - 16/06/09 03:55 PM
Aiit probs one of my fave tunes that..but this is also Detroit Techno and it's not new..old old Underground Resistance stuff from the early 90's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=R6oor0mirlE&feature=related&pos=6

Sorry I had to throw this one in..89 style acid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCwOxzrUSlk&feature=channel_page
Pure 808 and 303 this mixes well into Bounce your body to the box

And this is also techno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_kox3NvBVs&feature=channel_page
All recognised as Techo artists..

vinyl_junkie

#744447 - 16/06/09 04:34 PM
Guess what synth
http://www.vengeance-storage.com/www.vengeance-sound.de%20-%20Q%20Trilogy% 20vol%201%20-%20Q-MicroQ%20Soundset%20by%20Manuel%20Schleis.mp3

http://www.vengeance-storage.com/www.vengeance-sound.de%20-%20Q%20Trilogy% 20vol%202%20-%20Q-MicroQ%20Soundset%20by%20Manuel%20Schleis.mp3

Personaly this stuff gives me a headache lol

Nord Lead 3
http://www.vengeance-storage.com/www.vengeance-sound.de%20-%20Nordish%20by %20Nature%20-%20Nordlead%203%20Soundset%20by%20Manuel%20Schleis.mp3

Kola

#744457 - 16/06/09 05:09 PM
Quote:

Guess what synth

Well, without even clicking im going to go for Micro Q. Sort of gives it away in the link

Nord Lead 3 = music to my ears

vinyl_junkie

#744458 - 16/06/09 05:16 PM
Cool so you like the NL3 sound, check out all the other sound sets these guys do for synths inc the JP-8080 with sound examples..all aimed at that dutch trance kind of style

http://www.vengeance-sound.com/eng/indexes/indexSounds.html

Kola

#744459 - 16/06/09 05:18 PM
Thanks mate, I already have there JP ones. Very good.

Wonder if there are any good uns for the Andromeda I hope to have in front of me one day. Proper set my heart on the idea now :]

Kola

#744467 - 16/06/09 05:47 PM
An interesting user review of an Andromeda. Back on topic.

http://www.kleonard.com/gear/A6.htm

And a more pro review
http://emusician.com/elecinstruments/emusic_alesis_andromeda/

vinyl_junkie

#744776 - 17/06/09 06:51 PM
Just buy this and stop moaning lol 64 Oscilators in 1978...and more

To go with that you need one of these

Kola

#744780 - 17/06/09 07:00 PM
doesn't fit my criteria mate.

No MIDI, doubt its Multitimbral and doubt it auto tunes.

vinyl_junkie

#744783 - 17/06/09 07:12 PM
I think you will be surprized http://120years.net/machines/con_brio/index.html

So your Juno 106 is crap cos it's not multy timbral? Why even judge a synth's capabilities on it's specs...The TB-303 is utter garbage on paper...
The super nova 2 impresses on paper but fails short on sound..hell it's got everything you want outputs, multy timbral, lame fx..everything but it don't sound as nice as others imo

Kola

#744788 - 17/06/09 07:21 PM
Crap? Who said anything was crap Martin?

If just doesn't fit my criteria. I need a work horse which the 106 or another monotimbral instrument certainly isnt, no matter how good it is.

Doesnt fit the rest of my criteria either.

2 - Patch memories
3 - A synth is only as multitimbral to me as the amount of mono outs's it has. IE 32 part with 4 mono outs in my book is four parts.

Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
      #744814 - 17/06/09 08:19 PM
I would never go for a megasynth for a number of reasons

1) mega, also applies to the learning curve to get the best out of it - hmmm nearly said 'get the beast out of it'

2) My experience of electronics generally is that the more they stuff in, them more corners they cut.

3) There is always just that one sound you dearly love that is only obtainable from some ancient crappy synth in the corner of the studio.

4) What do you do when your only synth curls up its little legs and dies just after the last one has been sold on e-bay?

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

Kola

#744818 - 17/06/09 08:30 PM
Some fair points there mate but nothing that would put me off.

A mega learning curve once I can handle but having say 10 synths means learning 10 different synths. I honestly feel you never get the best out of any of them. If you had one mega synth once you had learned it you'd be sorted.
By the way, I never intended for it to sound like I wanted only one synth. More just after a work horse. A backbone to build on.

If my one synths dies Id just send it off for repair just like if any of my synth dies. Sure it means Id be without a synth for a few weeks but what if the synth you use for all your lead sounds packs up. Your still knackered.

I can see your point though, sort of all your eggs in one basket.

vinyl_junkie

#745181 - 18/06/09 06:37 PM
You heard these bad boys Kola? Analogue modeling oscilators & basic wave table oscilators and real analogue filters on the Q+ not to mention 16 part multy plus 6 outs and 1 coax out

Kola

#745183 - 18/06/09 06:46 PM
Hi mate, yeah they get good reviews especially towards trance.

I would prefer the Andromeda though as its real analogue. I have really set my heart on one as you can tell.

You seem to have gone Waldorf mad

vinyl_junkie

#745190 - 18/06/09 07:02 PM
Haha yeah, I loved the Pulse when I had it, a friend used to have an XT which was just amazing and also a Micro Q which he sold to me for my Pulse and some other bits..at that time I was only learning synthesis and the micro q was a bit heavy..and the presets were poor...POOORRR lol any way diggin deeper it managed to sound quite nice but I still didn't digg it that much compared to the XT and the big Q rack or keyboard also sounds better but never had the money for them...also the micro q os was still buggy! Any way this Blofeld seems to mix all the best bits of the ones I liked...I would still like a XT and Pulse
I'm very fond of Waldorf stuff and been for a long long time...it was the first synth I sat down and went wow what was that?
My mate knew it inside out and he always got it to sound so good got me hooked...he always told me about the Roland bug which I caught from him but the Waldorf bug is just as infectious lol

Kola

#745203 - 18/06/09 07:57 PM
not mentioning the Akai bug though

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#745363 - 19/06/09 10:59 AM
Move up from padewan status Kola and become a Jedi Knight.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

Kola

Re: One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths? new [Re: Zukan]
      #745370 - 19/06/09 11:14 AM
lol, yeah ill just nip down to the bank.

Is it any better than the Andromeda or just more rare or desirable? No fan boy speak please,only honest answers

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#745418 - 19/06/09 12:40 PM
Totally different beasts.

I know which one I'd take but then my needs are different to yours.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

vinyl_junkie

Re: One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths? new [Re: Zukan]
      #745611 - 19/06/09 07:01 PM
Quote Zukan:

Totally different beasts.

I know which one I'd take but then my needs are different to yours.

Don't start me on the Wave...it's AMAZING
I got a sample cd of it from Mike Huckaby in Detroit and it's so lushhhhh
Wave table oscilators with analogue filters mmmmmm
Not to mention the ability to create your own wavetables on the damn thing without the need of a PC!
They want to bring that function to the Blofeld...I hope they do..the XT could do it through a PC and so should this

vinyl_junkie

#745613 - 19/06/09 07:20 PM
I don't get why every one wants the same gear now days...every one wants to sound the same..every one sticks to these stupid rules or afraid to step outside the box
Sometimes limitations leads to CREATIVITY..actually most of the time..I would rather have 3 bits of gear to make tunes on than a whole studio of stuff to get lost in..I would rather get creative with a Bass Station, Pulse and Blofeld over those horible Access virus things.
Why does every trance record have to have that [ ****** ] annoying chese string sound??? why can't it ever move away from that???? Age of Love-Age Of Love the Jam&Spoon mixes were early trance but didn't have cheese string but now it's protocall ever since like 1999 if you make trance you have to use that sound and have annoyin 909 military style snares with a 9 minute break down..same with most dance genres too. Deep house ANNOYING eps when all they do is kick and one up two down rhodes sequence...how's that deep house just cos it's 125 and has a rhodes...screw genres
Best thing to do is not listen to any one when creating, or read those annoying mags, they are all full of BS...just do your own thing (EXCLUDING SOS lol you guys are ace!, some great technical articles and honest gear reviews that don't try to sell me something every 5 seconds)
Stick your head in a bucket of sand lol
Synths are a music instrument much like a Piano..they are supposed to make music but come in different flavours..but at the end of the day they all pretty much do the same thing..If you can't make music you love on some cheap thing then what's an Moog or Waldorf or Andromeda gona change...
This is not realy aimed at you Kola but in general to perhaps young people with too much money who just buy gear for the sake of it.

I'm not ranting or anything just typing stuff as I'm waiting for my pizza while listenin to some old tunes done on the Micro Q lol

Edited by vinyl_junkie (19/06/09 07:25 PM)

Kola

#745621 - 19/06/09 07:36 PM
every dance record for the last two decades since Paul Hardcastles 19 and Bambaata's planet funk have had either a roland 808 or 909 on it. And the 303 has also spanned 2 decades.
To say the trance cheese lead is over used may well be a fair comment but its way down the line of genres and sounds.
How about the fact every rock track has got an electric guitar on it?

Totally agree that raw talent is far more usefully than any kit list. Mind I am really enjoying buying and selling on EBay and finding what works for me. I even think talented people work better with certain kit than others. I am trying to maximize what little I have. The only reason I am having a high turn over of syths lately is because im finding the best tools for myself. Once found I doubt ill buy much after that point. Certainly not at the rate Im buying now, but also remember im selling as much as Im buying.

flo

#745766 - 20/06/09 02:30 PM
Quote Kola:

Once found I doubt ill buy much after that point.

LOL

--------------------

Kola

#745771 - 20/06/09 02:50 PM
Yeah I thought that when I wrote it but I really do have to draw a line some where. If I make any money (doubtful) then I can put that back into it but until then.

BREAKING NEWS - Got an Andromeda :}

flo

#745822 - 20/06/09 08:30 PM
Nice!!!

Now you will need a few filter boxes and other outboard FX for that lovely machine. And a patch bay soon. Maybe a cool analogue drum machine, too, for jamming away. Hardware sequencer? aaaah yessss!!!!

--------------------

vinyl_junkie

#745832 - 20/06/09 10:01 PM
Youzers you look happy lol So how you finding it and more important lets hear somethin

Hardware sequencer eh...I already tried to bully him into an MPC and he says he's totaly hooked on Abelton but trust me I think trying an MPC-4000 you would pass out lol
I lovr my MPC-2000xl but I think you would appreciate the 4000 more as it's more computer like and has a huge display
Probs the best hardware sequencer arround with a huge midi resolution that totaly jizzez on the 2000xl
Also has a full blown Z8 inside and back compatible with all S series samples

Kola

#745869 - 21/06/09 06:31 AM
Quote:

Youzers you look happy lol So how you finding it and more important lets hear somethin

Im finding it superb. Honestly its called Andromeda because its out of this world. Like I have said many times what is right for one is terrible for another but I have a really good feeling/initial connection with this.

As for you all wanting to hear something, it took me all day yesterday to work out how to set up a multitimbral set up. Ive never had an Alesis before so the OS is totally new to me. I think its gonna take a week to learn my way around it.

I really like the idea if having 16 mono synths all under one hood. Such a space saver and once I could set up one multi part needless to say I could set up the other 15. In other words learn one thing and you done, this is a big thing to me.

Its such a huge synth I won't be qualified to comment of how good or bad it is for around a month as Id guess it will take that long to get my head around. Be a good month though.

So far so very good.

Downsides are I have to sell everything else I own to be able to afford it. Im sure this will be worth it though.

Quote:

Hardware sequencer eh...I already tried to bully him into an MPC and he says he's totally hooked on Abelton but trust me I think trying an MPC-4000 you would pass out lol
I love my MPC-2000xl but I think you would appreciate the 4000 more as it's more computer like and has a huge display
Probs the best hardware sequencer around with a huge midi resolution that totaly jizzez on the 2000xl
Also has a full blown Z8 inside and back compatible with all S series samples

Yeah, I love ableton. I was brought up on Atari / PC Cubase and Amiga ProTracker and OctaMED so have always been around software sequencers since the late 80's. I did try the Roland w30 as a sequencer but found it very hard to use. Never felt the urge to dabble with hardware again.
I do think it would be worth a ton of Kudos points sequencing with an MPC and using classic samplers as Martin does to a superb effect but I recently tried this with hardware samplers and got nowhere and lost around 200 quid in the process as well as a load of time.

On Ableton, I know a lot of the anoraks look at it like it is a toy and not a 'real' sequencer like Cubase / Logic but I can get some great results with it mainly donw to the clip arrangement. Its like a Sony's Acid but for MIDI data also. Really fits the way I work like a glove.

Biggest downside to any DAW for me is the temptation to just check you Emails which ends up on you farting around on the net for an hour by accident. So much so Ive been thinking if ever I have some more cash I may well just get a totally separate PC and not have the net on my dedicated music PC anymore.

vinyl_junkie

#745913 - 21/06/09 01:36 PM
Man I was put off hardware sequencers ever since I had the M1 lol horible nasty piece of poo..only really good as a sketch pad. At the time I thought great if I buy this M1 over the Wavestation I get sequencer and classic sounds lol
As I said I always wanted an MPC but was too chicken [ ****** ] to get one thinking I will suck at it..any way one day I just though [ ****** ] it and brought one...not going back to 100% computer sequencing for some time I can tell you.
As I said the MPC-4000 is more up your street but it does have a learning curve! due to the ammount of things it can do. The 2000XL is sooo easy to use on the other hand both the sampler and sequencer and very fast too, I learnt mine in less than 2 days.
I got this Blofeld all sused out now too...it's great, at first I thought damn this is complex stuff how am I going to get my head round it (I'm less patient now days than I was lol) but it's reall easy and it goes deep which I like, it's what I call semi modular in that it's not but almost due to a nice and big mod matrix.
Already getting some nice evolving sounds out of it.
I wont tell you do dump Abelton for mpc but I would love to see what you think of MPC's so highly recomend at least trying something like the 2000xl
Now you have the Andromeda I see it as you got your main analogue poly and mono...you just need as you said a bread and butter sample synth like those JV's or XV's and imo a waldorf for those lovely wavetable evolving sounds...sample synths are nice but I hade edditing sounds on them, the Waldorf can get simmilar sounds but with full hands on control YES even with 4 knobs lol it's very very well laid out

vinyl_junkie

#745914 - 21/06/09 01:47 PM
Oh yeah you also get comb filters which in essance are the building blocks of phisycal modeling so you can get some very expressive sounds.

Kola

#745915 - 21/06/09 02:00 PM
I would give an MPC a try I really would if I knew anyone that would loan me one. But I wouldn't fork out 400 quid just to see.

The next synth I want is a Nord Lead 3. I know, you hate it

Thing is though, It's taken me all day yesterday sorting a multitimbral set up out on my Andy. Kept thinking it was the Andy but im fast learning Ableton is full of bugs as far as ext hard synths go. Took me ages to find out why it wouldnt work.

Today has been spent learning how to sync the arp to Ableton which was easy enough if it weren't for my 2 year old time zapper and wife buzzing in my ear. Hopefully this afternoon Ill be able to start and save stuff.

The above are all basic things but all take time non the less.

Hence why I think it great I only have to learn all this stuff once as opposed once for each synth.

I don't think im going to have time for the Nord 3 for quite some time.

vinyl_junkie

#745997 - 21/06/09 08:57 PM
I would so loan you my MPC but I'd hate to post it and loose it in the mail
Nord Lead 3 eh I thought the Andy would be be all end all analogue in your setup Any way I didn't say I hated it (I think lol) I just said I preffered the grittier tone of the Nord Lead 2

We are all after different sounds for sure..I just love the spacy evolving sounds you can get from the Blofeld...I love the totaly non analogue tones in that thing, for analogue I got my juno and jx-3p so everything complements each other really well.
I'm sure you will love the Lead 3, great user interface and some cool sounds also the morph feature is really cool.
These are the kind of smooth digital sounds I like from the Blofeld..just made it this morning lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq3gVIfyJS0&feature=channel_page I can listen to that patch I did on loop all day hahahah
But then I loved the moog arps on those Tangerine Dream records hahah bew bew bew bew ba bew lol

Kola

#746011 - 21/06/09 09:32 PM
As said mate I am learning as I go here. Ive decided I like a few really powerful synths where as initially I wanted a load of less powerful ones (IE the 101 etc)

I have analog covered as far as I will ever need for a long time with the Andy. Im certain there will be things it can't do as nothing is perfect. But it will take alot of time for me to ever truly master it and thats fine by me.

The reason for wanting a Nord Lead 3 is so compliment the analogue Andy with a Digital something else. Of course I still want it to tick all my boxes mentioned above.
To be honest though Martin im not sure I have enough time to devote to buying anything else yet. I think it would detract from the Andy and I really want to master my kit one by one (like yourself) rather than be like a kid in a sweet shop.

I will get the NL3 but it may be a while off. Sounds mad but if an offer I couldn't refuse came by today Id buy it and keep it boxed for a few months.

You sound made up with your new synth. Thats great, there's nothing better when something fits you like a glove. Its early days for me but at this point this really is how I feel about my new mate Andy.

vinyl_junkie

#746015 - 21/06/09 09:48 PM
Quote Kola:

I have analog covered as far as I will ever need for a long time with the Andy. Im certain there will be things it can't do as nothing is perfect. But it will take alot of time for me to ever truly master it and thats fine by me.

Excelent stuff mate, master it like a black ninja then blow every ones mind with it lol
The oscilator sync is also cool as it can yeld some cool almost digital in tone. For example I got something that sounds almost the same as solid bass on a dx-100 on my JX-3P using the metal sync

vinyl_junkie

#746017 - 21/06/09 10:07 PM
Hey wan't to know what I hate about the Blofeld? It only came witha PDF manual!! Fortuanatly it's pretty much the same as the Micro Q to use so got on with it quite well.
I hate reading PDF's strains my eyes and I can't read them whie taking a poo hahahah

Kola

#746062 - 22/06/09 05:38 AM
I don't like PDF's either but understand that there far cheaper for companies to produce.

Also, they don't cost the planet trees.

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#746102 - 22/06/09 09:13 AM
Quote Kola:

BREAKING NEWS - Got an Andromeda :}

It's pics like this that make our GS disposition worthwhile.

My name is Zuke and I am a GS.
I've been clean for 3 hours now.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

Kola

#746242 - 22/06/09 02:46 PM
Im guessing im the only one who has no clue what GS is?

Kola

#746290 - 22/06/09 03:58 PM
gear slut??

vinyl_junkie

#746320 - 22/06/09 06:17 PM
Hahah I was thinking the same thing lol
Back to PDF's
Yeah I can totaly see why they did it and wouldn't moan for the price of the synth but paper is less of an issue than oil at least we have re-cyceling and sustainable forests now

At least they give you a quick start paper guide with the synth lol mmmm I wonder what the volume knob does hahah

Kola

#746327 - 22/06/09 06:35 PM
don't get me wrong mate I totally agree. I much prefer a paper book or anything paper that I have to read.

Shreddie

#746835 - 23/06/09 11:56 PM
Quote Kola:

How about the fact every rock track has got an electric guitar on it?

I remember when I said to my old writing partner (who is an ardent metal fan) "how's about we do some metal without the guitars?"

He crapped himself! Then went on a tirade about how synths are too 'plastic'. About a week later I played him a rough metal track which used nothing but synths/effects and he loved it.

I'm glad you're happy with your new toy Kola!

themajorblip

Re: One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths? new [Re: Peter Conz Connelly]
      #746840 - 24/06/09 12:23 AM
Quote Pete (Conz) Connelly:

I have to say... I owned as SE-1X, sold it for £1200 and replaced it with a Pulse+ for £200 which isn't all that different. The Pulse, IMO, is the better mono-synth. As others have said, you'll know why if you get to play with one. WOW!!!

P

sheesh a couple of years ago I spent some time on this board and I got to regularly read this exact post- and I log in today and there it is again! I hate to say it but you might be in a minority with that opinion...I think most poeple would prefer the SE1x over the Pulse. IMO the Pulse has a hard sterile sound, with an average filter (nothing like a moog) and LFOs that disintegrate quickly on rapid modulation. As fas as I could tell its only redeeming feature was its fast spikey envelopes....
Whereas the SE1x has much bigger phatter VCO Oscillators, and a much juicier proper Moog like filter.
However some people prefer the more modern edgy tone of the Pulse - which is still a good synth in its own right for dance music - and excellent value for money...

Kola

#746862 - 24/06/09 06:20 AM
SE1 would def my my fist choice over Pulse but like you say some people much prefer the digital sound.

I certainly am happy Shreddie with my purchases.
Finally on the right track after buying and selling a ton of stuff over the last few months. Taken a long time to find items that I instantly click with and fit all my check points mentioned somewhere above.

Now only two times stand between me and making a monster tune.

1 - A bag of talent and
2 - Two big bags of time

Kola

#747124 - 24/06/09 07:54 PM
Hey just thinking do I get a prize or something??

This is the first thread to make 3 pages in the Vintage Gear forum since the beginning of time.

vinyl_junkie

#747134 - 24/06/09 08:26 PM
Quote Kola:

Hey just thinking do I get a prize or something??

This is the first thread to make 3 pages in the Vintage Gear forum since the beginning of time.

LOL let's make it into 4 pages lol Waldorf Pulse best sounding synth in the universe hahah only jokin
But the Pulse and the Moog have their own charm..
I preffer the Midi Moog to the new Moog Voyager also..sound wise mannnn oh man

ps yo Kola I sold 3 Blofelds already hahahah

vinyl_junkie

#747135 - 24/06/09 08:36 PM
Any way music should go back to 1959...some of the most creative and influentual albums that have shaped the form of music today came out in 59...we need another one of those years lol that and the motown years hah..doubt it will ever happen...everything's been done imo

hollowsun

#747145 - 24/06/09 09:00 PM
Quote vinyl_junkie:

Hey wan't to know what I hate about the Blofeld? It only came witha PDF manual!! Fortuanatly it's pretty much the same as the Micro Q to use so got on with it quite well.
I hate reading PDF's strains my eyes and I can't read them whie taking a poo hahahah

Print 'em out yourself for some bogside reading! Or use a laptop!

As someone who's done manuals, printed manuals are horrendously expensive to make. Apart from authoring and translation and proof reading costs (which can be high), printing costs can be astronomic and a typical manual for something like the Blofeld or Andy (i.e. hefty manual/small run productions) would probably cost about £30 per copy. Seriously - they are BIG documents with a small printing run and if you're going to do a manual, it has to be done well. Then there are amendments for future OS developments that would need to be included in future runs. Bloody expensive business believe me and this would make the product more expensive. Just the weight of a printed manual can add significantly to shipping costs adding even more to the price of the product not to mention the added costs of shipping extremely heavy boxes and boxes of weighty tomes to the factory to include in the carton.

Given that few people actually RTFM, it makes commercial sense (not just to the company's bean counters managing budgets but to customers as well) to use PDFs (which have the benefit of being semi-promotional if you can download it from the manufacturer's website in advance of maybe making a purchase). And for those who desperately need a paper copy, they can print it out themselves.

Believe me, manufacturers don't use PDFs to p!ss customers off or make shareholders richer - there are very good economical reasons and helps them achieve an attractive price point. I am sure that Blofeld would have been less attractive to you if it was £50 or £60 more expensive simply because it had a printed manual!!!

The Quickstart manuals that come with products are there because certain countries have legislation that stipulate that there be printed instructions in products purchased. France go one further by stipulating that there must be French language documentation included (they also stipulate that the carton must be in French too which is why you see a lot of products with English and French on the boxes!).

Quickstart manuals only need to be basic to satisfy international legislation hence the 4-page jobbies that explain "This is the volume control" ... "This is the headphone output" ... just enough to satisfy legislation and small and lightweight enough not to add significant cost tot the product.

--------------------

Edited by hollowsun (24/06/09 09:03 PM)

vinyl_junkie

#747152 - 24/06/09 09:17 PM
Yeah I agree Hollow Sun! It makes total scence esp for some one small like Waldorf compared to lets say Roland or Korg who are part of the "Big 3" and yeah I would rather save the money or go on better parts rather than paper/shipping etc costs.
And you are correct..no one now days ever reads the manaul! Some of the questions people ask me are cringe worthy...
About the French thing, I found it funny that in the quick start guide the first pages are in German then english and that's it and the box is just English but this is Waldorf lol the people who advise you not to use your synth near a bath tub lol
To be honest other than the current OS buggs in it that are slowly beeing ironed out it's a fantastic product with good execution at a great price point...Unless you don't like the Waldorf sound which I find is a bit like Marmite some people seem to hate it and some love it.

vinyl_junkie

#747175 - 24/06/09 10:07 PM
Hahah Mickey I think I'm about to do something dumb lol so stop me I think I'm going to buy a Micro Q (again lol) as I have been offered one at a great price....
Man just listen to the onboard demo from this thing and tell me it sucks
http://www.waldorfmusic.de/assets/files/products/micro_q/audio_demos/hope. mp3

http://www.waldorfmusic.de/assets/files/products/micro_q/audio_demos/schni ttchen.mp3

Plenty of individual outs too...any way it's that or Microwave 2..personaly I would preffer a microwave 1 to the 2 and on anohter thing I want a Super Bass Station...but none about so this Micro Q might errm be my next buy lol stop me hahahah oh yeah listen to the demo songs! Best demo on any synth I ever heard imo

hollowsun

#747221 - 25/06/09 01:47 AM
Quote vinyl_junkie:

the people who advise you not to use your synth near a bath tub lol

Oh! When writing all the Health & Safety warnings in a manual, you have to take EVERY possible scenario into consideration however bizarre and unlikely.

You may LOL at the bath reference but think of Waldorf's legal position if someone DID actually try and play their Blofeld near to or in the bath and they had some problem. Without a warning in the manual, the customer can stand in court and say "Well there was nothing in the manual to say I couldn't float it in the bath" and although it is obviously tosh, the judge could rule in the idiot's favour in these days of preposterous litigation and blame culture no doubt aided and abetted by some 'no-win, no-fee' ambulance chasing back-street, second rate legal firm advertising on TV....

"Fallen off a step ladder because you are too stupid to take adequate precautions? Don't worry - we'll find someone to blame and get you untold wealth."

It stems from two legal precedents ....

When microwaves (ovens not synths - what a coincidence!!) first came out, an American lady gave her dog a bath and decided to dry its fur ....

In her new microwave!!!

And cooked the poor bugger from the inside out!!! Her claim was that the manual didn't explicitly warn against this.

Another was when a woman (another American) bought a takeaway coffee from McDonalds. She had it on her lap as she drove away. It spilled and the hot liquid scalded her legs and she sued and won to the tune of $2.6 millions (though a smaller settlement was later agreed upon). This is why you see "Warning - contains hot liquid" stamped on takeaway coffee tubs ... to prevent such litigation. What surprises me is that McDonalds burgers' containers don't have "Warning - contains complete and utter sh*t full of grease and fat and additives and toxins that will kill you" ... but that's the subject of another discussion!!

As it happens, the first case is an urban myth (but the second one isn't) which is why manufacturers have to be VERY careful hence the sometimes bizarre warnings - they have to protect themselves against stupidity and absurd litigation from nutjobs with no common sense!

--------------------

Kola

#747245 - 25/06/09 06:55 AM
@ Vinyl Junkie -

Quote:

Any way music should go back to 1959...some of the most creative and influential albums that have shaped the form of music today came out in 59...we need another one of those years lol that and the motown years hah..doubt it will ever happen...every thing's been done imo

This is something I have often thought about, the everything has been done to death debate. For the first time ever Martin I actual totally agree with you. (ha-ha)

I think back in the day when Elvis started to twitch his hips (thanks to forrest gumps tuition) in its day it was a revolution. Other revolutions were bands that didnt care like the Sex Pistols smashing stuff ap and swearing on tv (Imagine that)

But then I feel conventional music was done to death and I was about 14 in 1988 and heavily into the 80's scene loving synth orinteaded bands like Duran Duran and the fabulous and way ahead of its time first ever real remix album League Unlimited Orchestra - Love and Dancing (al la Martin Rushent human leagues producer)

However in the late 80 early 90 people started to analogue synths. At first doing next to nothing could cause great excitement such as twiddling a knob on a 303 and the results were devastating and everyone was 'Wow, how do they do that???"

As time has gone on we have covered way more advanced techniques and technology has moved at such a pace that a quarter of a million pound studio from the early 90's now costs 3 grand and a PC at most.

So much so as with any music people have pushed the genre boundaries but were at a stange now where there really isnt much else to be done that can sound good with electronic instruments just as I felt had happened with conventional instruments in the late 80's Sure good tunes are still made but nothing revolutionary such as elvis or a 303.

The last move forward for me was Roland supersaw but it is old hat now and I am an avid trance fan as you all know, and that was only a move forward not a revolution. But now that we have done conventional music to death and done electronic music to death where too now????

Collie

#747794 - 26/06/09 02:38 PM
Quote Kola:

@ Vinyl Junkie -

So much so as with any music people have pushed the genre boundaries but were at a stange now where there really isnt much else to be done that can sound good with electronic instruments just as I felt had happened with conventional instruments in the late 80's Sure good tunes are still made but nothing revolutionary such as elvis or a 303.

The Problem with electronic based music is that everybody tries to overcomplicate things and make it larger than it needs to be,we have so many options with electronic instruments that it detracts the main objective and most people try to be clever and technical,or copycat others simply because they think having the same instruments equals sucess or talent,totally forgetting the main ingredient in music,with so many of the revolutionary musicians,its not that they pushed the boundaries in technology or used the best gear availible its merely because they made things simplistic because they had limitations with the instruments and gadgets they used at the time.

In todays technology,instrument manufacturers are all obsessed with having the largest sound library or pallette of sounds but rarely will we use 50% of anything we have,and because we have so much availibility at the touch of a button ost people overlook the basics and neglect the time to learn the craft.

Todays era of musicians are lazy,when you can simply switch on a machine and let it do the thinking for you,and thats the problem with technology in music,The musical instrument manufacturers have bred an era of musicians where they no longer have to be Musically gifted or possess a large amount of talent or intellect to use the Machines.
Those that do have the above will always be seen as innovative or pushing the boundaries and invariably will have longevity in there field of music.

vinyl_junkie

Re: One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths? new [Re: Collie]
      #747854 - 26/06/09 06:26 PM
Quote Collie:

Quote Kola:

@ Vinyl Junkie -

The Problem with electronic based music is that everybody tries to overcomplicate things and make it larger than it needs to be,we have so many options with electronic instruments that it detracts the main objective and most people try to be clever and technical,or copycat others simply because they think having the same instruments equals sucess or talent,totally forgetting the main ingredient in music,with so many of the revolutionary musicians,its not that they pushed the boundaries in technology or used the best gear availible its merely because they made things simplistic because they had limitations with the instruments and gadgets they used at the time.

In todays technology,instrument manufacturers are all obsessed with having the largest sound library or pallette of sounds but rarely will we use 50% of anything we have,and because we have so much availibility at the touch of a button ost people overlook the basics and neglect the time to learn the craft.

Todays era of musicians are lazy,when you can simply switch on a machine and let it do the thinking for you,and thats the problem with technology in music,The musical instrument manufacturers have bred an era of musicians where they no longer have to be Musically gifted or possess a large amount of talent or intellect to use the Machines.
Those that do have the above will always be seen as innovative or pushing the boundaries and invariably will have longevity in there field of music.

I couldn't agree with you more!

vinyl_junkie

#748230 - 28/06/09 11:39 AM
Well Mickey for me I think I'm not going to buy any virtual analogues for a bit lol I just got the Micro Q hahah (That doesn't count microwaves hahah that's wavetable synthesis hahah)
Next things on the list some simple but nice analogue/hybrid mono synths like the Super Bass Station and Pulse and some outboard...the Waldorf's do everything I want them to.

Kola

#748246 - 28/06/09 12:35 PM
Some great shots there mate. Looking really good

Waldorf Microwave is an awesome synth I remember from back in the day.

Last thing I need now is sound sources though.

I wont have any money for a while now but next on the list

1 - Good monitors (Looking at the Adam A5 or A7's)
2 - UAD card and plugs

And too be honest I think thats me done. Sure I may buy and sell or upgrade but when I get the above I have what I class as a fully functioning studio and that will be a big day for me.

I just hope that after all this investment I can write a tune I think is up to my standards. Something im yet to do in 36 years.

Still, I worked out my mate has spent around 10K on DVDs over the last 7 years. Makes me feel better about my out lay.

vinyl_junkie

#748262 - 28/06/09 01:29 PM
Some cool stuff man..yeah your A6 should cover all bases that and you use Abelton so have access to some very nice VST's to complement it..
Yeah the original Microwave is very nice..shame about the secondhand prices now going through the roof on most hardware A Pulse for over 300 quid?? C'mon Turnkey were clearing them out at 199 new few years back, then Waldorf goes bust and their products sell even cheaper (micro q for 120!) now they are back all of the suddedn people are like ohh hang on lol.
I heard mixed reviews about them Adam monitors, some people seem to love them while quite a few don't like the sound.(I should add I haven't auditioned a set, just saying what some folk have told me..I have considered these in the past also)
I can highly reccomend some Mackie HR-624 mk1's though, I quite liked these and you can pick them up for a nice price second hand. Also these seem very good acoustic energy ae22 and would probs work better in your cramed room as they are not ported...you can even hire a set out to try them from here http://www.cav.co.uk/hire/sound/acoustic-energy/ae22.html
UDA mmm thats nice, I heard the old PCI card's are going very cheap now too
A Focusrite Liquid Mix comes highly reccomended also if you got the dollar!

Edited by vinyl_junkie (28/06/09 01:33 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 53087

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media