Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
RitchieM

Loc: Skelmersdale, Lancashire
Re: Lights! new [Re: SwingKing]
      #998414 - 17/07/12 02:45 PM
Too late, I am taking your word as Gospel!

I do want to get into DMX with the lights, as we have a bunch of Datamoon's and other bits that are all DMX, and we have such a diversity in what we play that it would be daft not to set up scenes for different tempo tracks. Obviously there will be a lot of messing, but it will add to the shows.

--------------------
Engineering Surveyor and Musician Pretty Vegas Northwest Function and Wedding Band
Wedding Band Blog

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
RitchieM

#998447 - 17/07/12 06:10 PM
Just a quick question, I have seen that you can link by dmx and power in one cable, what do I look for, or the ability to have power via dmx a standard of the protocol??

It's two cables in one isn't it?!?!

Clown!

--------------------
Engineering Surveyor and Musician Pretty Vegas Northwest Function and Wedding Band
Wedding Band Blog

Edited by RitchieM (17/07/12 06:18 PM)

Dave Gate

Loc: M6/M61/M60/M62/M65
Re: Lights! new [Re: RitchieM]
      #998448 - 17/07/12 06:19 PM
I believe that CPC do combined 5 pin DMX and Powercon cables.

--------------------
Gear List: reverse only.

RitchieM

#998465 - 17/07/12 09:23 PM
Okay, but the fixture needs a 5 pin connector though??

--------------------
Wedding Band Blog

Dave Gate

Loc: M6/M61/M60/M62/M65
      #998469 - 17/07/12 09:58 PM
The 5-pin DMX connector should be carrying data only. Power would be dealt with by the Powercon. I've never heard of power being transmitted through a DMX cable.

--------------------
Gear List: reverse only.

RitchieM

#998503 - 18/07/12 07:51 AM
This is why I need help!! Would burn the pub down!!!

Cheers for the help guys!

--------------------
Wedding Band Blog

RitchieM

#998884 - 20/07/12 08:29 AM
Okay, moving onto controllers now!

What we are looking for really is a controller to set up the different scene / programmes, dmx controllable BUT can be triggered by a footswitch. I saw this http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_commander_162.htm but it's only for LEDs isn't it? So if we had old data moons and other lamp effects, could we use a dimmer and control them that way, or would a different desk be better? I don't think this one works with a footswitch either?!?!?!

OR, do we go down the route of computer and something like this

http://www.thomann.de/gb/lumidmx_x1_light_controll_basic_bundle.htm

We don't want to necessarily run the entire thing from a computer, but maybe worth it?!?!

--------------------
Wedding Band Blog

RitchieM

#1000447 - 29/07/12 02:32 PM
Right, we have ordered 2xLEDJ Stage Wash Tri 24's with stands, cables and an LEDJ S1F foot controller, after MUCH discussion.

Obviously we are going to see how all this goes, and I mention in my previous post about software vs hardware control.

Does anybody have an thoughts?? I would initially like to have 1 unit on wash, and the other on chases, but I don't THINK I can do this in Master / Slave mode. I would LOVE to use a program to set up cues based on an audio track / timeline, but having had a play I might be tempted to leave alone for now.

So I would want a controller I could trigger from the footswitch, will loads of different Scene for different songs, ultimately with control over 8-12 fixtures.

Any help appreciated

Ritchie

--------------------
Wedding Band Blog

SwingKing

#1014980 - 23/10/12 12:59 PM
How you getting on RitchieM? This thread's pretty old now so I'm imagining you've had a chance to road test your purchase by now.

Following your advice and recommendation, Dave, and after long consideration, I've placed an order with http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/

In the end, I went with the American DJ Jelly Par Profile System. The LEDJ set-up was out of my budget and I was encouraged by your mention of the company. Having checked out a demo of what it can do, I think it's what I'm looking for. Plus, the money stays in Blighty so everyone's a winner. First gig to use them will be the first of my Christmas performances at the end of November so I'll give an update after that.

SwingKing

#1015103 - 23/10/12 10:52 PM
Update: not good news. Mike at Phase One emailed me later on today to say that the American DJ stock had been damaged due to a water leak. So, back to the drawing board we go!

Gutted is not the word but I think it's excellent customer service on behalf of Phase One to send a personal email with a full explanation and a refund.

RitchieM

#1015294 - 24/10/12 08:11 PM
Honestly, they are brilliant (in all senses!!)

Have a look at our Website and you can see photos of them in use on a couple of pictures. We paid more than we expected, but got a far better setup than we hoped.

--------------------
Wedding Band Blog

SwingKing

#1015363 - 25/10/12 09:01 AM
Good stuff, and a nice website.

RitchieM

#1015365 - 25/10/12 09:08 AM
Thank you!

We found that with these ones, they just have such coverage, that even on Sound To Light they do a fantastic job, and then disco lighting and smoke just really set it off.

Would recommend them to anyone.

--------------------
Wedding Band Blog

SwingKing

#1015546 - 25/10/12 11:09 PM
Just waiting for my refund from Phase One to clear and then I'll start my search anew. Due to unforseen circumstances, the budget has decreased so I'll be looking for something under the three hundred mark - wish me luck!

I'll keep tabs on your website, Ritchie. Skem isn't too far a drive for me so hopefully I can come and see Pretty Vegas play soon. Do you ever venture as far as Wirral? I know of two couples who are getting married next autumn - I'll put a word in if you want.

Dave71

Loc: Lat: 54:24:38N Lon: 1:43:30W
      #1015652 - 26/10/12 02:37 PM
Oh dear, I havent been to Phase One for a while due to illness but i did pick up a set of 4 ADJ Tri Par profiles in August. Nifty little fixtures!

http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/lighting-c1/band-stage-and-uplighting-c9/led-slim-pars-c8 5/american-dj-american-dj-mega-tri-par-profile-led-uplighter-4-package-with-free-dmx-leads -p698

--------------------
No more kebabs

RitchieM

#1015656 - 26/10/12 02:55 PM
By all means pass on our details, and I will keep you posted about public gigs. I think if you see them you would be tempted. I would look at making sure your purchase could be easily expanded as from what we saw, the cheap lights look just that on their own.

Ritchie

--------------------
Wedding Band Blog

SwingKing

#1018616 - 14/11/12 07:29 PM
Put in an order today for these little fellas: http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/lighting-c1/band-stage-and-uplighting-c9/le d-slim-pars-c85/american-dj-american-dj-adj-mega-par-profile-led-slim-par-can-in-silver-4- pack-free-dmx-leads-p681

Although I really should have got the Stratus Wash when first made aware of it, I'm hoping these will do for now. I'm just glad to have finally made a decision!

RitchieM

#1018642 - 14/11/12 11:18 PM
From what we saw, the difference from having basic lights to some good ones is HUGE! I am sure you will get a great surprise when they are on. I did want to go down the whole dmx route, but after seeing what we could achieve just with these being linked on sound to light with a basic foot controller (to blackout at key points), it added so much without needing to go any further down the dmx road.

Have a look at my last Wedding Band Blog Post and you can see the photos of last saturdays charity gig. The effects are from just our 2 LEDJ Stage Tri24's and a couple of datamoons.

i think it looks pretty damn good! (Apart from my "Movember" 'tache that is! Oh, and the dodgy photography by other guitarists wife!)

--------------------
Wedding Band Blog

SwingKing

#1018883 - 16/11/12 02:18 PM
Hmmmm. My Mega Par profile lights came today and I'm having no luck at all in daisy chaining them together. I've followed the instructions in the manual for Master-Slave set up and had a look around on the internet and am still no further forward. They don't all have to be plugged in do they? I thought that the Master is the only one that's plugged in. I'm having a sneaking feeling, though, that given the other three lights aren't coming on, that they all have to be plugged in.

In which case, is there any kind of workaround to avoid this? Having four power leads running to the sockets seems incredibly inconvenient.

RitchieM

#1018898 - 16/11/12 03:07 PM
I fell foul with this at first until someone here put me right.

If they have power in and out, then you can clip a power and xlr together, set one to master, rest to slave and job done.

If not, you xlr them together, one to master, rest to slave and then I would put a multi in the middle and power to each one.

--------------------
Wedding Band Blog

MarkPAman

Loc: Somewhere between Portsmouth &...
      #1018899 - 16/11/12 03:08 PM
Yes they all need to be plugged in! There is no power in a DMX cable.

SwingKing

Re: Lights! new [Re: MarkPAman]
      #1018912 - 16/11/12 03:47 PM
I'm not sure I understand your answer about clipping the xlr to the power, Ritchie. And your answer, Mark, with no direspect to you, just seems ridiculous to me! And this is what everyone does is it, plug each light into a power source? I've noticed that each light also has a power out as well as a power in. Could I not just connect a female to male power lead to the master and have that run to the slave and so on?

MarkPAman

Loc: Somewhere between Portsmouth &...
      #1018923 - 16/11/12 05:00 PM
Why ridiculous?

Anyway, if there is mains in & out, then yes, you can just run from one light to the next. If it were me, I'd get/make my mains & DMX cables the same length & tape them together, which is what I think Ritchie meant.

RitchieM

#1018925 - 16/11/12 05:05 PM
That's exactly what I was meaning! Keep things tidy attaching both cables together.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

--------------------
Wedding Band Blog

SwingKing

Re: Lights! new [Re: MarkPAman]
      #1018943 - 16/11/12 08:02 PM
Maybe "ridiculous" was the wrong word. Maybe I should have said "inconvenient". The less leads the better as far as I'm concerned - on that I think we can all agree.

But that would certainly be better if I could run power leads from one light to the next and then tape them to the DMX cables. Thank you both for that.

Jeepers those lights are powerful, though.

RitchieM

#1018955 - 16/11/12 10:23 PM
Surprising isn't it!!!!

Before we got ours, a landlord ( and 20 yr muso) said LED's were rubbish and said we needed the iColours, but it shows how LED has come on. Seriously great for us, glad you are happy with your purchase.

Get them gigging!!!

--------------------
Wedding Band Blog

Dave71

#1019160 - 18/11/12 03:27 PM
Glad you've finally got some lights sorted. They are bright and fairly easy to use. The only problem i find when using them in master slave is that you are limited to one colour at a time. For small pub gigs i put fixtures either side and just let them run independently.

Obviously for my main use (up lighting) master slave is perfect. Did you get a wireless remote with them, its a bit basic but does enough. Only down side is they all use the same remote so you could end up in a spot of bother.

One final word is that if you decide to pick up a small controller at some point, make sure you use the same DMX Channel Mode. My dedicated led par controller uses 3 channels and my fixtures were set to 7, causing all sorts of funny things to happen

Dave

--------------------
No more kebabs

SwingKing

Re: Lights! new [Re: Dave71]
      #1019211 - 18/11/12 10:02 PM
Thanks, Dave. Tim at Phase One recommend the Stratus Wash but they won't have any in stock until next month and as I wanted to try them out at an outdoor gig at the end of November I couldn't really wait any longer.

I did get the controller, yes. Although basic, it should make things a bit easier when using them onstage. I'm going to set everything up at home this week (haven't been able to over the weekend as I've been busy with the kids) and have a good run-through with them so I don't look a total amateur when I use them at the gig!

SwingKing

#1021425 - 29/11/12 05:44 PM
Is there any way to put three of the four lights into slave and one light into master mode by using the controls on the back of the lights? The remote control is so annoying - with the lights set up it's like playing Russian roulette as to which light responds to the "slave" button!

RitchieM

#1021444 - 29/11/12 09:06 PM
There should be a program button that you scroll through. One to master, rest to slave.

OR, put all to slave if the controller works that way. On our foot controller, we set both units to slave and that's how ours works. I assume the manual is rubbish like ours!

--------------------
Wedding Band Blog

SwingKing

#1021513 - 30/11/12 09:55 AM
Although the remote has a "slave" button on it, there doesn't seem to be such a thing when scrolling through the programmes on the back of the lights. But if there is, then the manual makes no reference to it!

Dave71

#1021882 - 02/12/12 11:51 AM
The mode button should scroll through the main settings and i think if you hit 001. thats slave mode. Get one fixture powered up and hit the slave button on the remote and see what it says on the back. Pay attention to the . after the numbers, sometimes that makes a difference. Remote sensor is on the front btw

I have been a bit annoyed at american DJ for doing this, I have several different types of fixture and some say SLA where as some display 001.

I suppose they are just buying from a chinese factory and getting their name painted on the cases

hope that helps

Oh dont forget, as they use the same remote if you try to change programs using the remote, you will change all the fixtures so you will loose slave mode

--------------------
No more kebabs

Edited by Dave71 (02/12/12 11:52 AM)

SwingKing

Re: Lights! new [Re: Dave71]
      #1023105 - 07/12/12 11:26 PM
I found the best solution to be to disable the remote on the slave lights. That way, only the master light responds to the remote control.

I had the opportunity to take them out for a gig last week and was really pleased to see them in action in the context of a live setting - as opposed to the effect of seeing them in the hall in my house! For this first gig I set the program to AJF which is both colour fade and colour change running. At its optimum height, the tripod put the lights about two feet above me, angled so only the stage area was illuminated.

RitchieM

#1023142 - 08/12/12 09:30 AM
Glad you are happy with them now, particularly after all the messing around you have had! I think it's amazing how only a few good lights will make such a difference to the show!

As I said before, I was ready to try going down the whole dmx route with ours, but just using the in built progs and some well timed "Blackouts" is more than enough for us to make an impact, and if you can master using the remote without it distracting from your performance, then you will realise what a great purchase you have made.

--------------------
Wedding Band Blog

Dave71

#1023165 - 08/12/12 01:21 PM
Quote SwingKing:

I found the best solution to be to disable the remote on the slave lights. That way, only the master light responds to the remote control.

I had the opportunity to take them out for a gig last week and was really pleased to see them in action in the context of a live setting - as opposed to the effect of seeing them in the hall in my house! For this first gig I set the program to AJF which is both colour fade and colour change running. At its optimum height, the tripod put the lights about two feet above me, angled so only the stage area was illuminated.

Good stuff! The best thing is that you get all that light with no heat and the consequential hair loss

--------------------
No more kebabs

RitchieM

#1023167 - 08/12/12 01:29 PM
As a folically challenge individual I too appreciate the LED benefits!

I am sure most people don't even realise that your avatar is you after a night under iColours!!

--------------------
Wedding Band Blog

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 30453

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media