Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Rolandforever

Loc: London
Re: Vinyl is better than anything else. new [Re: James Perrett]
      #170123 - 19/08/05 03:48 PM
Quote James Perrett:

Wow - what a thread...

With a more conventional arm/cartridge combination there is far less difference - in fact, to my ears, there is more of a difference in sound between cartridges than there is between vinyl and CD.

The other major advantage that CD has is convenience. If you want to play vinyl then you have to have somewhere firm and level to put the turntable - any you can't move it while the record is playing. CD's can be played in a much wider range of situations with no loss of sound quality. CD's are also easy to cue up and you're not necessarily stuck with playing the tracks in the same order each time.

James.

James, at the higher end of turntables ie Clearaudio, Wilson Benesch, Nottingham, Amazon etc, there is quite a lot of difference in turntables and arms as well of course as cartridges and I agree less so at the Rega level. CDs and amps also need careful placement to get the best out of them. CD players in particular sound quite different on a glass rack than a wooden rack, glass giving the CDP a more 'forward' presentation with more pronounced leading edges. Dominic

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
PWGLE

Loc: UK - Cardiff/Bath
Re: Vinyl is better than anything else. new [Re: BigAl]
      #170125 - 19/08/05 03:50 PM

Is it just me or does it sound like he's taking the piss!

If you're not I'll leave you to 'review' your online practises!

--------------------
P.I.G.L.E.T - where is polly?

BigAl
Just The Bass Player

Loc: The King's Height
Re: Vinyl is better than anything else. new [Re: Designnotes]
      #170126 - 19/08/05 03:53 PM
QUOTE:"Is it just me or does it sound like he's taking the piss! "

Who are we talking about?

Dig Em or the glass & wood thing?

It's that time......Friday....nearly five-to-five......

--------------------
Jack of all trades, master of some.

Digital Emotion

Loc: Brooklyn NY USA
Re: Vinyl is better than anything else. new [Re: Steve Albini]
      #170131 - 19/08/05 03:58 PM

Open letter to OVU

Hi OVU.
Was my apology groveling enough for you?

Let's talk about yesterdays incident. Shall we?

Quote OVU:

IP addresses are wonderful things when it comes to curing sufferers of internet schizophrenia.

IP addresses are amazing.
But I can tell you about device that will knock your socks off. Telephone!!!
There was no reason for you to stay in your office well past midnight yesterday.
O.K. it's none of my business really what you do after midnight. I cannot be as eloquent here as real SA.
Just think about it. You could sort it out in a minute by calling Electrical Audio.
Come on, I even gave you the phone number.

Quote OVU:

Such behavior [impersonation] is potentially very damaging for the reputations both of everyone involved and the wider forum and it's not something that will be tolerated.

Maybe it can be "potentially very damaging", but this particular instance, was it?
If anything, SA got some free publicity and possibly a couple of clients.
Some forumites realized how accessible SA is. Just pick up the phone.
If some guy can convince his band members to cough up as little as 3000 quid each, they can pay for airline tickets accommodation and studio time. And be recorded by The Legend, on Legendary Equipment. Don't you think it could be inspiring and maybe even change someone's life? And you banned me from forum for doing that?
Seriously guys, it is perfect time to take advantage of amazing exchange rate and invest your hard-earned cash
into American Economy.

Quote OVU:

... but when the joke has potential to damage the reputation and legal standing of this forum and, by association, our favorite magazine, it ceases to be funny.

OK, I understand that, and I also have concern for SOS (forum and mag).
But please tell me OVU, why you still didn't edit the first post? Is it too hard for you to type something like:

Achtung Baby!
Steve Albini ID that generated this thread was a hoax.
This post is not associated with real Steve Albini the owner and recording engineer of Electrical Audio.
This thread however, was preserved for it's extraordinary historical and cultural values.

or at least:

Moderators of this forum did not have the opportunity to confirm identity of this user.

You could do that long time ago without checking any facts.

Also I protected this forum from further attacks which could've been damaging.
Try to impersonate someone now. No chance. Why? Because this forum was immunized. I did it.

And also, be honest here. You started to do something only when I myself, surprised by some forumites naivety and mods inaction posted "Who wants to be next Steve Albini?" thread in Open Mic section (this thread was deleted by mods) with clue to "his" username and password. ChickenJohn (not a chicken) was the first one to get the clue, then he edited original post a little to remove the clue. But I have to tell you it was still pretty obvious to anyone but the most naive. Then he decided to give some inspiring advice to his fellow musicians and then pass "Steve Albini" around. BTW ChickenJohn said very early in the thread that SA doesn't sound like real one, but he didn't know that for sure at the time. The truth would come out anyway without you doing anything. It would still be nice though if you'd edited the very first post and stuck a warning on it.

Fact: I posted 4 messages in original thread and one in Open Mic, ChicknJohn did the rest.

I guess you read my(SA) posts yesterday, did it look like I was going to do it again? I already gave up the password without any motivation to do so. Why on earth did you decide to remove Digital Emotions ID? Did it make you feel like a fecking authority figure?
And after you canceled "Steve Albini", for what reason you banned ChickenJohn?

Also I don't want you to think that this impersonation was premeditated.
I just wanted to start a thread after reading the interview, and then I thought, what if SA himself will ask the question?
To register new name I needed some information which to my surprise was available online and it took me 2 seconds
to get it. I bet that many SOS readers also didn't know but now know how accessible and affordable that studio is.
BTW line of text in the SOS about SA waiving his fee was as honest as my impersonation.

I admit, what I did was wrong. But you guys also positioned yourselfs as assholes.

However, we all have to agree on at least two things:
1 All of us here are pretty good people.
2 It is good to play music.

Cordially yours.
Digital Emotions.

P.S. If anyones feelings were hurt, I am sorry.

__
Who's never been here

Re: Vinyl is better than anything else. new [Re: Digital Emotion]
      #170134 - 19/08/05 03:59 PM
But mate, it was a pair of whale bollox of a gag.

PWGLE

#170135 - 19/08/05 04:02 PM
Dig Em!

But the glass thing sounds interesting, when I had the laser replaced on my Marantz CD63KI the guy in the shop was telling me all these things I could do to improve the sound even more, such as bolt MDF inside the case, and make a new base to make it more rigid. and yes glass was mentioned!

To be honest, when I got the Marantz because it was the best sounding cd player out of the 20 I auditioned in the price range... though it wasn't the best as far as spec's go!

Sound far more important, than specs!

hehe like all these studio owners with these great speakers, and all the rest of it, and then they don't bother acoustically treating the room, or they don't know how to make a mic cable!

--------------------

Digital Emotion

Re: Vinyl is better than anything else. new [Re: __]
      #170138 - 19/08/05 04:09 PM
Quote ow:

Could you be so kind to translate that?

English is not my first language.

Digi Em.

steveman

Loc: London - UK
Re: Vinyl is better than anything else. new [Re: Stephen Bennett]
      #170140 - 19/08/05 04:12 PM
Quote:

Does anyone else think that the plastic CD tray is possibly one of the the worse piece of design on the planet (after those 'wing pull' cartons that deposit the contents all over you)? They break, crack and you either have to bend the CD to get them out or the centre hubs are so loose that the CD slips around and gets scratched.

Yes, I loathe them. The number of CD cases I have w/o the the front 'cover'... (which ALWAYS break when you drop them).

BTW vinyl DOES sound better than CD Took me a long time to succumb to CD, and when I got my 1st CD player I found I couldn't listen to CDs on the same evening after listening to LPs.
Just bought a Musical Fidelity Phono Preamp off Ebay, been playing a few LPs for the 1st time in a long time. They definitely have something.

You mentioned you buy modern releases on vinyl, where can I get them from? I've not really looked into it.

Quote:

Sony are in the process of rolling out Blu-Ray discs, with a 50gb capacity on one DVD-sized optical disk. Am I the only one who thinks that hard disk and flash based storage is only a sideways step? Why are there not in the pipeline, new "Sony Walkmans", that use Blu-Ray for storage?

Because portable MP3 players already store up to 60Gb, by the time Blu-Ray is affordable capacity will be 80-120Gb. 16Gb Compact Flash is available (not cheap of course), and there's no sign of a slowdown in the speed of development.

Quote:

With 50gb per disk, you could store 200 albums in CD quality with lossless compression, or alternatively 50 albums with greatly improved fidelity like 24/96.

You can already store uncompressed audio on many MP3 players, so there's not necessarily any reason to compromise.

Quote:

.....lurking beneath the differences between the example above and the music business is, just that, 'business'. a stagnated recording technology or format delivery market is unacceptable in economic terms, there can be no growth without innovation, and if corporations like to do anything it's grow!

so what fascinates me about vinyl (and old recoding equipment) is that it's fetishisation is no less than a political act in this global economy of unrestrained corporate growth, cynical engineered obsolescence and aggressive marketing and consumer bullying.

recycling technology, stepping off the innovation timeline because you like things the way they are at a given point and denying the market it's supposed improvements regains a little of our autonomy, empowers the individual beyond the status of passive consumer and ultimately encourages a less monochrome cultural space, which ultimately is where music must belong

Very well put.

My (18 month old) digital camera seriously misbehaved last week (sadly at the Big Chill). A friend who was with me said 'don't bother getting it fixed, just get a refurb off Ebay'. While he was technically correct in suggesting this would be cheaper, I was just horrified that even a £200 camera is regarded as disposable now.

Marky
posting's fun

Loc: Boston, MA
      #170145 - 19/08/05 04:15 PM
Alls well that ends well, though I'm not entirely sure why JC was banned.

I think we should ban Big Al....

--------------------
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent."

BigAl
Just The Bass Player

#170148 - 19/08/05 04:18 PM
Get a life.

Falsifying your ID and planting clues to aid in your capture.
You'll go far.

--------------------

BigAl
Just The Bass Player

Re: Vinyl is better than anything else. new [Re: Marky]
      #170149 - 19/08/05 04:19 PM
And for what reason?

--------------------

__
Who's never been here

#170150 - 19/08/05 04:20 PM
Quote Digi Em:

Quote ow:

Could you be so kind to translate that?

English is not my first language.

Digi Em.

A gag of gigantic proportions.

Marky
posting's fun

#170151 - 19/08/05 04:21 PM

For clogging up the forum with too many opinions.

--------------------
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent."

BigAl
Just The Bass Player

#170153 - 19/08/05 04:25 PM
Clogging up a forum of opinions with opinions.

Fancy that!

--------------------

Marky
posting's fun

#170157 - 19/08/05 04:36 PM

Let's just say the forum isn't a soap box just for your opinions on everything from computers, vintage synths, to DJing.

--------------------

BigAl
Just The Bass Player

#170163 - 19/08/05 04:43 PM
Eh......oh yes it is.

You must be in the wrong place.

I know I play devils advocate sometimes, but discussion and debate should cover all grounds and it's healthy.

--------------------

Mr DiBergi

Loc: up yer daughters
      #170166 - 19/08/05 04:51 PM
You do go on a bit though sometimes Al.

By the way, I am not Patrick Moore. However I AM the real Marty DiBergi.

Let's boogie
(see?)

--------------------
Looking for musicians?
www.partysounds.co.uk

PWGLE

Re: Vinyl is better than anything else. new [Re: Mr DiBergi]
      #170170 - 19/08/05 04:54 PM
I can still remeber the heated posts me and BA used to have on V2.

--------------------

mz

#170203 - 19/08/05 06:07 PM
hahahahahaha

That little bit of "celebrity" action brought out the whole forum!

I think a few days ago somebody got really lumped by a few of you for posting about "analogue summing". Definitely anyone saying analogue v digital would get 2 or 3 annoyed posts like : check the forum this is old hat!!

But someone FAMOUS ...

ooo falling all over ourselves... 5 PAGES OF POSTS IN 2 DAYS

Thank you Dig Em, it must be a fellow Brooklyn thing, but I think it was hilarious even before your cover was blown! ahh gleeful

PWGLE

Re: Vinyl is better than anything else. new [Re: mz]
      #170212 - 19/08/05 06:25 PM
hehe the best bit was people beliving it was him! after all the hints, etc..

hehe i'm suprised I didnt get banned for pretending to be Elvis!

--------------------

mz

#170235 - 19/08/05 07:10 PM
Wow! Polly the Parrot is on our humble forum!!

Welcome Polly and I am very interested to hear your views on the current debate regarding the best sample rate to record to tape.

I just cannot stop laughing....

really

PWGLE

Re: Vinyl is better than anything else. new [Re: mz]
      #170239 - 19/08/05 07:19 PM
Polly Parrot has produced numberous number one singles, and has worked with some of the finest musicans alive, including Tommy the Cat, Ratty the Rat, and Squek the Mouse.

--------------------

Gelled_Fringe

#170256 - 19/08/05 08:35 PM
big al

i find your internet personality boorish, oppressive, narrow-minded and mean-spirited

but that's just my opinion

The real musiclover

Re: Vinyl is better than anything else. new [Re: Gelled_Fringe]
      #170266 - 19/08/05 09:17 PM

At least he has a bit of spirit.

Rock on BigAl.

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
      #170267 - 19/08/05 09:18 PM
Here are just a few random jottings.

"It is not a reliable, consistent or accurate medium. End of story."

True. But to me it sounds better than CD, but only in a good system.

Somebody asked about recording from a good vinyl set-up. Well, I have, and the results sounded and felt just like the vinyl.

This makes me feel that there is not a lot wrong with (good) digital, but that the euphony of the mechanics and magnetics of a vinyl-player just sound good.

I also think that part of the charm and perceived quality of vinyl is the low level stereo whooshes, and 'micro' crackles across the stereo stage.

Interesting point of Hugh's about hearing music mixed in a studio - when I first heard it it reminded me a bit of CD sound - took me a while to realise I was missing the 'vinyl' sound!

Just to remind ourselves that vinyl can sound horrendous, how many Cds have we bought that sound like bad vinyl? Because they are bad vinyl, cleaned up and sold.

I have not read the article yet, and look forward to doing so.

Well, well, well!

So it was a fake ID . . . Bloody silly, and what is the point of an apology, followed by a silly rant?

STILL, the debate on vinyl's potential to sound sublime IS valid.

G

--------------------
Facebok Page for acoustic music PA-ing in smaller venues

Arpangel

Loc: London
Re: Vinyl is better than anything else. new [Re: Rolandforever]
      #170287 - 19/08/05 09:51 PM
I am imediatly dubious of anyone who says that anything is "better" than anything else, please hang up your anaorak and get a life, and stop taking up so much space on this forum, how can you be so obsessed with such a narrow aspect of this world.....maybe you were bullied at school....

Tony.

Digital Emotion

#170333 - 19/08/05 11:53 PM
Quote Max The Mac:

Which I might add is a dumb ass thing to do... and should not be seen as clever, funny, or something to be repeated.... unless of course you hate it here so much you're absolutely desperate to be banned.

Quote 0VU:

Just in case anyone was thinking of dusting off their autograph books for a little fawning adoration, the very entertaining incarnation of "Steve Albini" who so wowed everyone with his star presence yesterday won't be joining us today.

Quote Pink Floyd. The Wall. Lyrics by Roger Waters:

Good morning, Worm your honor.
The crown will plainly show
The prisoner who now stands before you
Was caught red-handed showing feelings
Showing feelings of an almost human nature.

PWGLE

#170345 - 20/08/05 12:48 AM
did my porn thread just move? or did I have to many pints of courage best?

laurie x

--------------------

The real musiclover

#170351 - 20/08/05 12:54 AM

Yes, i saw the word hardcore thereabouts, or hereabouts.

Was it not in reference to old school drum and bass?

PWGLE

Re: Vinyl is better than anything else. new [Re: The real musiclover]
      #170355 - 20/08/05 12:59 AM
ooooo if they moved it, i might just have to repost!

the idea was the give people a break with some porn!

brb

--------------------

Stan

Loc: Big Rock Candy Mountain
      #170362 - 20/08/05 01:06 AM
You are the lowest rank element yet to be detected on this forum.

--------------------
.. is this thing on?

PWGLE

Re: Vinyl is better than anything else. new [Re: Stan]
      #170364 - 20/08/05 01:08 AM
Porn restored I can carry on my mision...

Is it me or is this thread not going anywhere, you've got people just saying I like this because em it sounds better... and then you've got people like hugh giving really well forumlated posts, and backed up arguments...

Is any one prepared to shift any ground?

--------------------

The real musiclover

#170365 - 20/08/05 01:08 AM

Why is he deemed as such by you?

PWGLE

#170366 - 20/08/05 01:09 AM
Quote Stan:

You are the lowest rank element yet to be detected on this forum.

Please explain yourself. Is there any substance to your argument?
Or is it a wild allegation!

(woah this vinyl thread is kicking off call the bouncers!)

--------------------

Edited by Pirate Giant with Laser Eyes + Polly the Parrot! (20/08/05 01:10 AM)

The real musiclover

Re: Vinyl is better than anything else. new [Re: The real musiclover]
      #170367 - 20/08/05 01:10 AM

Oops, sorry, you mean him, not him.

Scottdru
Cool Dude

Loc: NYC: isle off the coast of Eur...
      #170386 - 20/08/05 02:44 AM
Quote Digi Em:

My sincere apologies and pledge

I would like to take this opportunity to extend my sincerest apologies to all of you . . . .

. . . .

I am taking this matter seriously, and so I have launched a comprehensive review
of my online practices and behavior to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future.

I will do so while fully drawing upon the lessons that can be learnt.

I will deliver on my promise, because I know that’s the only way to restore confidence.

Well, I guess you blew that one, then.

Quote Digi Em:

Open letter to OVU

Hi OVU.
Was my apology groveling enough for you?

I can't speak for 0VU, but it was enough for me . . . until I realised you were being sarcastic in your initial apology. Or . . . if you weren't being sarcastic then, you might want to consider how your two posts since then have indicated that your apology and pledge to introspection were less than sincere. I have to admit I kind of wondered as to the wisdom of banning one of your login IDs but not the other, but since you are newer to us than CJ (this is not CJ's first offense, by the way, not by a long stretch), and you have offered some good contribution to this forum, we decided to let it slide for now.

That said, all options are still on the table -- just so you know. You should also know that, while 0VU was the one who actually pulled the plug, it was discussed and considered among several moderators who were here at the time, and we were in pretty unanimous agreement as to what needed to be done.

Quote:

But I can tell you about device that will knock your socks off. Telephone!!!
You could sort it out in a minute by calling Electrical Audio.

There was an effort to contact Electrical Audio and/or Steve Albini. I'm not sure if there has been a reply as of yet, as I wasn't involved in that stage.

Quote:

Maybe it can be "potentially very damaging", but this particular instance, was it?

If you get caught speeding, or if you enter someone's property illegally, or if you plot to murder or assassinate someone or, for that matter, someone's character (as just a couple examples), you may often bear the consequences of your actions, even if no-one is actually injured.

Quote:

If anything, SA got some free publicity and possibly a couple of clients.

Maybe. I suppose you could look at it that way, but I can tell you that if someone started logging on to Internet forums under my name, speaking as though they were me (intent to deceive, even temporarily), and discussing anything (let alone controversial views I might hold) without my knowledge and permission, I would be none to happy.

For starters, if I hold a controversial view and there is to be a discussion about it (or any other issue, for that matter) in my name, as though I am there, you can be damn sure I want to be there to make sure the arguments on behalf of my views are clearly and properly stated as I see them, rather than someone potentially posting a bunch of bollox in what looks like my name. I'm sure you'd want the same courtesy, especially if you had a reputation you've worked very hard to build. The music business can be very, very fickle, and careers can be damaged over some sometimes very insignificant things.

And then to pass the log-in details to just anybody on top of this. That could have gone ANYWHERE.

Sorry, man . . . if someone was going take the piss in my name, with efforts to convince people that said person is me, I want to be there to defend my honour, or the plug should be pulled. We thought we owed Steve that professional courtesy. And why should he even have to take the time out of his busy schedule to come here to do that, if we get it sorted here? Time he could be giving to a great up and coming band that deserves to have their music heard? And how likely is he going to be now to want to come here and post under his own name for real?

You also have to remember . . . this being an Internet forum and all, we have roughly 24,000 members here, not to mention the people who are not registered and just lurk. For threads like these, people might read a part of a thread, and then not come back to it again, to find out how it ends. People can walk away from a thread like this with a given impression, and never see the resolution. Some people may never know that this thread was not actually posted by Steve Albini.

Quote:

Also I protected this forum from further attacks which could've been damaging.
Try to impersonate someone now. No chance. Why? Because this forum was immunized. I did it.

This forum is not any more or less immunized from this kind of thing as a result of your actions.

The fact of the matter is that there are people who are past and current members of this forum who are at least as "legendary", etc. as Steve Albini. Some of these people used to post under their own names and no longer do, and a number of those people have left the forums . . . in large part because of some of the piss-taking and general bollox that has gone on here (most particularly before the forum was fully moderated).

If anything, some of those people my now be LESS likely to post here, or to post under their real names. And if Steve Albini DOES come here and post under his real name, I wonder how many people will simply not believe it after this fiasco, and start taking the piss. Yep, Digi Em, you did that. You helped to diminish a certain level of trust here amongst the members.

We hoped to repair that or minimise the damage to at least SOME degree by taking swift, decisive action, and making it very clear that this kind of thing will NOT be tolerated here. SOS and the moderation team have worked hard to foster an environment here that makes it possible (and comfortable) to welcome everyone from top pros and industry insiders to absolute beginners. That is very important to us, and we believe it is important to the vast majority of our membership.

Quote:

And also, be honest here. You started to do something only when I myself, surprised by some forumites naivety and mods inaction posted "Who wants to be next Steve Albini?" thread in Open Mic section (this thread was deleted by mods) with clue to "his" username and password.

A foolish assumption to say the least. Within a very short time after the first posting of this thread, I put out feelers to the other mods and admin, asking if this was the real Steve Albini or not. I posted as though it was (as I would like to be able to trust that someone would not be so foolish as to start posting here under false pretenses claiming to be a well known industry figure, and because others have posted here under their own names), but then immediately began to check, because I wanted to be sure it wasn't someone taking the piss. I hoped it was Steve, and I thought the debate could have been pretty interesting if it was.

One of us tried to contact Steve, and then we decided to begin looking at IP addresses for clues. It took us a little while to sort it, and we didn't want to have something go on and on if it took Steve a while to get back to us and we then found out that way that it wasn't him.

Quote:

ChickenJohn (not a chicken) was the first one to get the clue, then he edited original post a little to remove the clue. But I have to tell you it was still pretty obvious to anyone but the most naive. It would still be nice though if you'd edited the very first post and stuck a warning on it.

By the time that thread came up we had it pretty well sussed what was going on. But are you suggesting that every time an industry figure (or someone posing as said person) comes on posting under their real name, we should start posting bold disclaimers on their first posts until we can verify them? That would be pretty silly to say the very least.

Quote:

Fact: I posted 4 messages in original thread and one in Open Mic, ChicknJohn did the rest.

We know who posted what, thanks.

Quote:

I guess you read my(SA) posts yesterday, did it look like I was going to do it again? I already gave up the password without any motivation to do so. Why on earth did you decide to remove Digital Emotions ID?

You were essentially banned, but as I said because you are relative new to us under this name (Or perhaps we should dig further? We can if you wish.), we decided to give you a second chance, as it is EXTREMELY rare for us to ban someone without multiple offenses and multiple warnings. As I said, all options are still on the table, and if you like we can ban you entirely.
Quote:

Did it make you feel like a fecking authority figure?

Ouch. That was hardly the motivation on anybody's part, as I hope I've made crystal clear by now. I really wish for own your sake you hadn't said that . . . but, sadly, you did. (Disappointing.)

Quote:

And after you canceled "Steve Albini", for what reason you banned ChickenJohn?

Because it isn't his first offense, and he's been around here long enough that he definitely should have known better.

Quote:

Also I don't want you to think that this impersonation was premeditated.

I wish you had thought through the ramifications of it a lot longer before you went ahead with it then.

Quote:

I just wanted to start a thread after reading the interview, and then I thought, what if SA himself will ask the question?
To register new name I needed some information which to my surprise was available online and it took me 2 seconds
to get it. I bet that many SOS readers also didn't know but now know how accessible and affordable that studio is.
BTW line of text in the SOS about SA waiving his fee was as honest as my impersonation.

Just goes to show how easily trust can be gained and how easily it can be damaged. It takes a certain amount of trust and honesty to act in the manner Steve Albini does. That is extremely rare in people, and it is something that should be valued and treated with care and respect, rather than tossed around casually and/or abused. It is the cavalier treatment, or outright abuse, of that kind of trust and respect that causes many people to feel they cannot live their lives in this way.

Quote:

I admit, what I did was wrong. But you guys also positioned yourselfs as assholes.

I'm not so sure it is we who are the ones positioning ourselves thusly.

Quote:

However, we all have to agree on at least two things:
1 All of us here are pretty good people.
2 It is good to play music.

Amen!

Quote:

P.S. If anyones feelings were hurt, I am sorry.

Err . . . please make up your mind.

--------------------
Scott
--Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

The Byre

#170447 - 20/08/05 09:16 AM
Dorking their shorts I can forgive, but spelling arsehole the American way I find difficult to forgive.

--------------------
www.the-byre.com No longer Forum Member

The Byre

Re: Vinyl is better than anything else. new [Re: The Byre]
      #170451 - 20/08/05 09:27 AM
BTW, in this business, we get used to some Herbert pretending to be someone or something he is not.

For a while we had one Wally going around pretending to be our house engineer, another Wally telling people that he was the real money behind our studio and a third one pretending to be the producer of a band that was recording here. That last one even went as far as to go to a distributor and asked them if they wanted to distribute this band's latest record. This puzzeled the distributor somewhat as he had just signed a deal to take that very record on.

As the Blue Fairy said to Pinocio, there are short-legged lies and long-nosed lies. Usually we have to deal with the short-legged variety.

Though I do not think that in this case anything bad was intended and perhaps someone is being just a tad over-precious.

--------------------
www.the-byre.com No longer Forum Member

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
      #170453 - 20/08/05 09:30 AM
Well said, Scott, and as usual, a wee bit more than my one-liners!

I'd love you moderators to dig deeper, and maybe PM* us regulars who treat this Forum with respect and affection.

G

*I love a bit of gossip, and it may firm up some opinions/guesses. It will also keep some naughty boys guessing, whether this happens, or not!

--------------------
Facebok Page for acoustic music PA-ing in smaller venues

Sle

Loc: UK
Re: Vinyl is better than anything else. new [Re: Scottdru]
      #170459 - 20/08/05 09:52 AM
This forum is like the garden of Eden compared to a lot of places. The harshest one I've seen is that for GarrysMod - a computer game modification. He has an "Autoban" function that detects bad spelling and "Txt spk" or any questions answered in the FAQ, with hilarious results. Consider yourselves lucky, guys and gals!

--------------------
Stuff what I done

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: **
Thread views: 57703

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media