Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Studio Support Gnome]
      #300458 - 21/05/06 05:25 PM
Quote Max The Mac:

Quote Music Manic:

I don't think piracy is the main problem of failure.

I mean how many non linear phase EQ's can one have?Aren't they all the same,virtually?
I've only heard of these plugs a few months ago so how do I know thy exist within a large market?

where have you been?? mars??

seriously, whenever someone asks about good EQ plugs, or is looking for a surgically useful "performance rescue device" dynamically, Elemental audio have always been recommended by the majority of the Mac forum users, , certainly i mention them every time some one asks "what's good?" or "|must have"

the Logic user group had a huge response to their group buy a couple of years ago......

look at the number of people lamenting their passing..... as it were...

I'm unlikely to buy anything called a "Bitchinizer"

the changes made are , frankly tacky and appallingly crass, it seems Mr Nichols has about as much taste as coach load of footie fans mooning a funeral cortege.

Max

Ok so tell me(as an end user)why I should use Waves over Elemental Audio,over Uad etc,if it says linear-EQ plugin?
That means that the EQ should do that one thing right?

Seriously we can have different types of colouration plugins etc but when they are doing the same thing how are we supposed to know? We aren't programmers right?

I have $20 plugins that give me what I need and sound georgeous.I have stumbled on them by chance,so "reputation" by people just begs the question of it being a marketing ploy by company and pushes me away.

Look at Ohmboyz delay for example.absolutely beautiful.Who talks about them?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Shaun Dark

Loc: Bristol
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: ]
      #300470 - 21/05/06 05:43 PM
Quote Music Manic:

Quote Shaun Dark:

Quote Music Manic:

Piracy is wrong and unfair but as a DJ I bet you play tracks that have samples that have been filtered etc beyond recognition.

Again look at this Gnarls Barkley track.Sold on itunes before it hit the shops then became number1 and is still there.So I think there is method to beat this piracy into fairness.Won't go into economics and politics of it.

The very occasional sample I do use has been purchased in the form of a CD, the original artist/producer gets paid.

Also comparing a track in a narrow genre like say, tech trance, to that Gnarls Barkely track is a no brainer.

OK what success have you had?
Lots of tracks use samples because companies want their material to be used again.They want to be "ripped off" because when the track is successful the artist ain't gonna have a chance.

Software is different ,but still,if they become well known a big company will take them over.

With the Gnarls track I was talking about a marketing strategy not a genre.plus how much money does Trance etc make compared to mainstream?

I Must learn to talk non-laterally on these sites.

With the gnarls track you are talking crap, how does releasing it on itunes defeat piracy? Your not making any sense man.

And the point I was making was that dance music producers such as myself signed to small labels are making sweet f**k all because of piracy.

And what are you on about with the samples? I don't understand the point you are trying to make there at all

--------------------
http://shaundrk.bebo.com
www.myspace.com/shaundark

Edited by Shaun Dark (21/05/06 05:50 PM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Shaun Dark]
      #300489 - 21/05/06 06:31 PM
Quote:

With the gnarls track you are talking crap, how does releasing it on itunes defeat piracy? Your not making any sense man.

And the point I was making was that dance music producers such as myself signed to small labels are making sweet f**k all because of piracy.

And what are you on about with the samples? I don't understand the point you are trying to make there at all

Why am I talking crap?
Why do most people talk like they know it all when we're supposed to be knocking off eachother.

I'm saying however he did it he's made more sales than any track for a while and we all know that sales have dropped not just because of piracy but because of bad music.

There was a drum and bass track I was after for ages.I kept hearing it but no mention of what it was.Now how the hell am I supposed to buy it?
When I found out who it was by it was deleted,so the only way I could get it was how???

So how would you defeat piracy?

Also I've been into music for 20 year and have made little.
So what?

You keep blaming it on piracy.Why?

People in IT can't find jobs easily now,why?Oh it must be piracy.No it's saturated mate.

You think they couldn't stop piracy tomorrow if they wanted to?

You need to chill out.

P.S. You think somebody couldn't make a hit out of your or my track if they wanted to? What makes you or I so special?

Lars Farm

Loc: Sundsvall, Sweden
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Studio Support Gnome]
      #300494 - 21/05/06 06:39 PM
Quote Max The Mac:

I'm unlikely to buy anything called a "Bitchinizer"

Made me jump too. It is the antithesis of the good solid knowledgeable impression that Elemental gave. When I look for something to do digital audio processing / filters then I expect good solid traditional established science, math and physics skills from whoever comes up with the algorithms. Elemental appeared to have that. The new one is an established producer of music. Completely different set of skills and the names... and the prices...

* User requested

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Lars Farm]
      #300499 - 21/05/06 06:45 PM
Breelo - check your PMs

cebenezer

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: * User requested deletion 2 *]
      #300551 - 21/05/06 08:26 PM
Here's the thing .. what is a piece of software worth to you ? I'd say it's simply it's value over time.

Those buying the EA plugins (4 here) assumed they'd be able to get a few years use out of them, with a lower cost upgrade to a future version at the end of it.

So, today I can get a new version of any of those with a worse user interface, a clumsy and non-transparent rights protection system for twice the price - and the upgrade cost will probably be equivalent to the price of the original EA plugins given the scale up.

The VST industry complains about piracy - which is fair enough, but to my mind this sort of thing destroys the perception of the value of software. Next time an EA user buys software from a small company they are going to be mentally factoring in the cost of being screwed over - the result; the software will have a lower perceived value, and they won't be willing to pay as much.

James Lehmann

Loc: Europe
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: ChrisCarter]
      #300558 - 21/05/06 08:35 PM
If Elemental Audio were in financial trouble, fair enough, they seek a buyer. But there are two ways Roger Nichols could have bought up the company:

METHOD 1:

- Respect the existing client base by guaranteeing continued support
- Encourage new customers by keeping the price in the same ball-park
- Attract new customers by avoiding iLok
- Re-assure new customers by keeping sensible names for the plug-ins

METHOD 2:

- Alienate the existing client base by ceasing all support
- Put-off new customers by hiking up the price
- Put-off new customers by employing iLok
- Put-off new customers by giving the plug-ins silly names

Unfortunately he seems to have chosen Method 2.

Now maybe Roger Nichols knows something we don't about the software plug-in business, but given the above, I just can't see how he expects to make any money from this venture - there's absolutely no way anyone is going to be buying those plug-ins now! I predict a spectacular failure, meaning within a year the new plug-ins won't be around anymore.

Sonicus

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: ChrisCarter]
      #300573 - 21/05/06 08:57 PM
Or.....

1. Explain to customers that due to piracy, huge revenue is being lost and livelihoods put at stake.

2. Continue to support existing customers, but...increase prices for new takers.

3. Maybe consider using ilok (I have No problem at all with that).

I would be completely on EAU's side - they are, were a killer company I would have paid 50% more for their plugs maybe more, I would be happy with iLok.

But what they have done is pretty strange, really.

Does Roger Tickles have a Master Plan to buy up all the small software companies so that he can control the known universe......

Bitchinizer!! - this is beyond a joke right, has Mr Tickles spent too much time around untreated Plutonium?, this guy on KVR said it right - Just wait until you find out about the next plugin called 'Sodom-izer' It turns on a special feature of the dongle that makes it 'anal-ize' you while you play! And it'll sell for only 499.95!!!

Shaun Dark

#300578 - 21/05/06 09:02 PM
Quote Music Manic:

Quote:

Why am I talking crap?
Why do most people talk like they know it all when we're supposed to be knocking off eachother.

I'm saying however he did it he's made more sales than any track for a while and we all know that sales have dropped not just because of piracy but because of bad music.

There was a drum and bass track I was after for ages.I kept hearing it but no mention of what it was.Now how the hell am I supposed to buy it?
When I found out who it was by it was deleted,so the only way I could get it was how???

So what?

People in IT can't find jobs easily now,why?Oh it must be piracy.No it's saturated mate.

You need to chill out.

P.S. You think somebody couldn't make a hit out of your or my track if they wanted to? What makes you or I so special?

To say that the sales figures of contemporary music have dropped because there is too much bad music around is not true.

And what are you on about not being able to find a Drum and Bass track you liked? haha What has that got to do with the argument?? I'm going to presume you mean that you couldn't buy it legally so you got a pirate copy? Well whilst thats technically not OK I understand where you are comming from and have to admit that I'd probably do the same.

How would I defeat piracy? I've already suggested earlier in this thread that harsher laws should be introduced to narrow down the benifit to risk ratio.

And IT? WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT?? The main problem with the music industry is not saturation it's people reaping the benifits of intellectual property that they are not paying for.

I'll put in a metaphore to make it simple for you; The problem is not having too many people working in IT, the problem is companies employing IT people and then not paying them. You understand?

And what are you on about people making hits out of our tracks?? Is that supposed to be a stab at my production skills or something?

I'm going to presume your either foreign or completely dyslexic because your grasp of the English language is appalling

--------------------

Ian Stewart

#300584 - 21/05/06 09:07 PM
If Roger Nichols buys Audio Damage I am going to resort to violence. How much do you think SOS would charge to have someone rip out his articles before I buy my copy? How can you be an optimist when things like this happen.

cebenezer

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Sonicus]
      #300598 - 21/05/06 09:25 PM
Quote Noiseflaw:

Does Roger Tickles have a Master Plan to buy up all the small software companies so that he can control the known universe......

Not Roger Nichols .. but there are a few big companies out there that appear to be doing just this ..

Studio Support Gnome
Not so Miserable Git

Loc: UK *but works all over the pl...
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Ian Stewart]
      #300615 - 21/05/06 09:49 PM
Email delivery a little while ago.

AFAIK, it's not restricted knowledge or content, so i thought some people might benefit.

I would however add that i have NO problem with the use of iLok , which is an eminently sensible move...

perhaps the ONLY one in this entire situation.

Copy protection is a defacto requirement these days, i'd much rather have it on an iLok , that i can take with me , than stuck only on the G5 in my own studio.

Max

Quote:

Hello,

THIS MESSAGE CONTAINS IMPORTANT INFORMATION
ABOUT PRODUCTS YOU HAVE PURCHASED. PLEASE
READ THIS MESSAGE IN ITS ENTIRETY.

Elemental Audio has entered into a partnership with Roger Nichols Digital, Inc., the software company founded by seven (7) time Grammy winning engineer/producer Roger Nichols. All Elemental Audio products are now exclusively licensed and distributed by Roger Nichols Digital. This is an exciting transition for each of us at Elemental Audio. We believe that our software development abilities combined with the engineering and production expertise of Roger Nichols makes for a very promising relationship.

It was important to us that our customers be treated as fairly as possible in this change. We are writing this message to help you fully understand the implications and to let you know what you can expect in the future. We hope that this information will help to alleviate any concerns or misgivings you might have had about this transition.

I. AVAILABILITY OF ELEMENTAL AUDIO PRODUCTS
As of May 19, 2006, Elemental Audio products are no longer available for purchase. All Elemental Audio products will, however, be continued in some form under the Roger Nichols Digital name. Every Elemental Audio product may not be immediately available, but each will be available as a Roger Nichols Digital equivalent in the near future.

II. SUPPORT FOR CURRENT CUSTOMERS
We will continue to provide technical support and customer service to all of our current customers for the foreseeable future. You may still access the Support area of our web site at < http://www.elementalaudio.com/support/ > to view the Knowledgebase, contact us, access your downloads, submit email address changes, etc.

III. FUTURE UPDATES
We will provide at least one additional update to each commercial Elemental Audio product. This update will add Mac-Intel support and may incorporate bug fixes and other minor changes. Updates will be to the Elemental Audio products with which you are familiar; these updates will not require a move to the Roger Nichols Digital equivalents. There will be no charge associated with these updates. As usual, you will be notified by email when the updates become available.

IV. ROGER NICHOLS DIGITAL VERSIONS VS ELEMENTAL AUDIO VERSIONS
You should be aware of some of the primary differences between Elemental Audio branded products and the Roger Nichols Digital (RND) equivalents. First, RND products are to be available as boxed versions with printed documentation (in addition to being immediately downloadable). Second, RND products will be distributed by a network of independent dealers and distributers as well as being sold/distributed by RND itself. Third, RND products all utilize an iLok for copy protection.

V. PRICING
There will be a difference in the prices of Elemental Audio products and the equivalents distributed by Roger Nichols Digital. While Elemental Audio does not control the pricing of Roger Nichols Digital products, we have made an effort to ensure that the cost to you associated with this change is as small as possible as described in the FUTURE PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT section.

VI. COPY PROTECTION (iLok)
As you may be aware, there was a significant amount of pirating of Elemental Audio products. To reduce the incidence of piracy, Roger Nichols Digital branded products are protected by iLok; authorizations may be placed on an existing iLok - a separate iLok is not required. We have received many requests to add support for iLok copy protection over the years, so many customers should be pleased by this change. Note that Elemental Audio branded products will not be changed to use iLok for copy protection. When you receive your planned update(s) the standard Elemental Audio copy protection will still be in place.

VII. FUTURE PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
Elemental Audio products will not be developed in the future beyond the planned updates mentioned previously. Thus, you will need to move to the Roger Nichols Digital equivalents to benefit from future product enhancements. We all wanted to make it easy for you to continue with the Roger Nichols Digital equivalent(s) of your Elemental Audio products, so you can benefit from future updates and changes. At some point in the not-too-distant future, you will be given the opportunity to move to the RND branded equivalent of your purchased Elemental Audio product(s). You will not be expected to pay the full price to continue on with the products you have purchased, however, there will be a nominal charge (e.g. $20 or so) associated with this move, sufficient to cover the cost of the boxed version/printed documentation, etc. We will send you more information about moving to the RND equivalents once all details have been finalized.

VIII. ELEMENTAL AUDIO'S FUTURE
Elemental Audio will continue to exist as a separate entity and will, for the foreseeable future, continue to develop audio related products. Like existing Elemental Audio products, future products developed by Elemental Audio will be distributed by Roger Nichols Digital.

IX. CUSTOMER SPECIAL
Please be advised that last month's Customer Appreciation special was conceived of and put in place based purely on customer request/feedback and prior to any relationship between Elemental Audio and Roger Nichols Digital. Though ill-timed, the special was not in response to any anticipated change. We regret any confusion the timing of these events may have caused.

It is a pleasure producing software for you and we appreciate the support you have given us. We trust that you will give us your support now as you have in the past - we'd certainly like to have you with us as we make this transition. We hope that, like us, you see this move as a step in a positive direction. Roger Nichols Digital (RND) products have much to offer. In addition to the software itself, they will have the benefit of the experience of an accomplished engineer and producer, which should result in improved usability for you. The products will include printed documentation as well as presets developed by Roger Nichols, both areas where Elemental Audio products could have stood to improve (based on feedback we have received). And these are just a few of the benefits to you of the Roger Nichols Digital and Elemental Audio relationship.

As always, please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns. Note that our response may be delayed due to a high volume of email. If the volume of mail we receive in response to this news is very high, we may elect not to respond to messages that do not request or actually require a response. In any case, we do read every message we receive, so you can be assured that your thoughts will be considered whether you receive a personal response or not. If you do not receive a personal response but would like one, please feel free to write back to us to request one.

Thanks, again!

Very Sincerely,
The Elemental Audio Team

------------------------------------
Customer Service & Support
cs@elementalaudio.com

Elemental Audio Systems
http://www.elementalaudio.com
------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------
This message describes Elemental Audio's relationship with Roger Nichols Digital and the affects of this relationship on you. All of the statements in this message are true to Elemental Audio's best knowledge at the time of writing. However, some of the items discussed in this message could be affected by circumstances or parties outside of Elemental Audio's control.

--------------------
Don't get the hump when i tell you it's going to be expensive, it's not my fault , you picked the site/building/room â

UnderTow

#300676 - 22/05/06 01:49 AM
Quote Max The Mac:

Email delivery a little while ago.

I would however add that i have NO problem with the use of iLok , which is an eminently sensible move...

perhaps the ONLY one in this entire situation.

Copy protection is a defacto requirement these days,

There is one MAJOR problem with this: iLok does not offer any copy protection whatsoever. I think it was Scott Realms from liquid DAW that used to email Waves each time they released a new plugin or a new version of their plugins. The very day it was commercially available, it was also available cracked on P2P networks.

Syncrosoft is a different story ...

Copy protection is indeed a good thing but it has to work. iLok doesn't and just punishes ligitimate paying customers.

iLok = bad.

UnderTow

UnderTow

#300678 - 22/05/06 02:02 AM
ARGH! I just read Mr Nichols' article for this month. At least I read the bit about 64 bit. He could have actually checked what CakeWalk Sonar does. It supports both Windows 64 bit AND has a 64 bit floating point audio engine.

Also, 64 bit processors running a 32 bit OS are actually a touch faster due to the larger registries.

This guy is not an asset to SOS.

UnderTow

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Shaun Dark]
      #300682 - 22/05/06 03:25 AM
Quote Shaun Dark:

Quote Music Manic:

Quote:

Why am I talking crap?

So what?

You need to chill out.

To say that the sales figures of contemporary music have dropped because there is too much bad music around is not true. Really.So why have I not bought much music in past 3 years seeing I have a collection of 10 to 20,000 records/cds.Can't see me buying sugababes.
I also don't like downloads.I like 16bit hardcopies.

And what are you on about not being able to find a Drum and Bass track you liked? haha What has that got to do with the argument?? I'm going to presume you mean that you couldn't buy it legally so you got a pirate copy?
No,actually found it on vinyl
Well whilst thats technically not OK I understand where you are comming from and have to admit that I'd probably do the same.

How would I defeat piracy? I've already suggested earlier in this thread that harsher laws should be introduced to narrow down the benifit to risk ratio.
And how much would that cost to firms?
And IT? WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT?? The main problem with the music industry is not saturation it's people reaping the benifits of intellectual property that they are not paying for.
Quite simple if you think about it.
If two people or two thousand people do the same thing who would have the better profit margin plus more of a chance getting a job

I'll put in a metaphore to make it simple for you; The problem is not having too many people working in IT, the problem is companies employing IT people and then not paying them. You understand?

Isn't it spelt metaphor?Don't you mean analogy(Your credibilty is sinking fast)?To answer your analogy,we don't employ anybody,and it's the company's responsibilty to protect themselves.
Thank you for making it so simple that I could grasp it

And what are you on about people making hits out of our tracks?? Is that supposed to be a stab at my production skills or something?
No,just lateral thinking again but thought your brilliance would have grasped it.
Your link isn't up btw so that should answer your question.

I'm going to presume your either foreign or completely dyslexic because your grasp of the English language is appalling
No,no mispelt words but you seem to understand everything I say.Admittedly English isn't my forte but neither is yours.
We are talking about music and it's and art.The most talented people understand things in their own language.
You feel that being articulate is proof of your intelligence.
Would you like me to teach you how to pronounce those Greek words properly that you most definitely get wrong when using them in English.Quite funny!
What have I learnt from you?Nothing.
Why do I waste my time?Like a bit of banter I suppose.
Round three

Tim.

Loc: Not here
      #300685 - 22/05/06 04:24 AM
Re dongles and iLock.

When I purchase a product I accept full personal responsibility for it. In the case of serial number protected software, it is 100% my responsibility to keep the serial number in a safe place. I can write it down in more than one place if I want to and even if my computer gets stolen, I can always reinstall the software on a new computer by simply referring to the serial number I have safely stored; that’s the application of my personal responsibility. It also doesn’t restrict my freedom to use the software I went to the trouble of legally purchasing (yes, I know it’s a licence and I don’t actually ‘own’ it).

On the other hand, dongles, and iLock specifically, take away my personal responsibility and place it in the hands of the software seller. If my computer gets stolen (with the dongle hanging off the back) then I have to claim on my insurance and buy the software again…all fine and dandy… that is of course provided the software is still available. The company could of: gone out of business, no longer supports my software (cheers Apple), charges FOUR TIMES more than what I could legally insure my dongle ‘protected’ (hasn’t worked yet) software for…

Dongles not only remove my personal responsibility but they also place severe restrictions on how I can use what I’ve gone to the trouble to legally purchase.

Those are some of the reasons why I am uncomfortable with dongles and actively avoid purchasing software products that employ such restrictive copy protection – ‘copy protection’ ha! Such an oxymoronic phrase.

--------------------
Studio: www.kymatasound.com

Tim.

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: cebenezer]
      #300686 - 22/05/06 04:26 AM
Quote cebenezer:

So, today I can get a new version of any of those with a worse user interface, a clumsy and non-transparent rights protection system for twice the price - and the upgrade cost will probably be equivalent to the price of the original EA plugins given the scale up.

It’s a good idea to read previous posts before adding to a thread.

As has already been said, $169 to $698 is just over FOUR TIMES the price, not twice.

It’s also obvious you didn’t bother to read the post directly above the one you made in the Elemental Review in the user reports section either.

--------------------

Tim.

#300687 - 22/05/06 04:30 AM
Yes, I received that EA email last night too Max… horse, stable door and bolted immediately spring to mind. With a little forethought and pre-emptive PR work EA could so easily have avoided this attempt at damage limitation. Their vague statement about upgrade pricing (“(e.g. $20 or so)”) doesn’t inspire confidence; the price should have been fixed before they sent out the email. Not that the idea of upgrading appeals to me… I don’t think I can face inserting such stupidly named plug-ins in a track and having Roger Nichols name thrust in my face too.

Unfortunately, the customer/company trust relationship has been damaged; possibly fatally… look what happened to Gerald Ratner.

This bit from their email says it all: “However, some of the items discussed in this message could be affected by circumstances or parties outside of Elemental Audio's control.”

--------------------

Tim.

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Tim.]
      #300692 - 22/05/06 04:52 AM
One more thing...

Quote:

We have received many requests to add support for iLok copy protection over the years, so many customers should be pleased by this change.

Yeah right…and I’m a hamster with a taste for space travel.

--------------------

Feefer

Loc: CA, USA
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Tim.]
      #300700 - 22/05/06 05:49 AM
Quote Tim Rainey:

This bit from their email says it all: “However, some of the items discussed in this message could be affected by circumstances or parties outside of Elemental Audio's control.”

And who's to blame for that, except the EA guys who sold control over their product in this manner? Because no kidding, that's exactly what it means when selling one's assets: you lose the ability to control the asset you've sold.

All of this strongly suggests that EA wrote good software but didn't know jack about how to run a software business. These two qualities obviously are entirely different skill-sets. The EA guys clearly didn't know how to properly set prices for their wares, and didn't know how to protect their IP (although I'm no fan of iLok, either). If EA actually knew how to run a successful business, they probably wouldn't have felt compelled to sell their assets to Roger Nichols.

But how ironic so many of you are whining about the price increase while admitting that EA software was clearly under-priced (I see comments like "I would've paid twice the price for the software", etc). Well, sure, I'd love it if ALL companies set their prices way too low (which absolutely kills profit margins), or better yet, just gave away their products (I love those "Free iPod" ads you see). But guess what? It's short-sided to want prices so low that the company can't stay in business, and guess what happens to support when they go under?

Bottom line is no one's in business only to trade money, but to make a profit. Sadly, most consumers don't think companies deserve to earn even a reasonable profit margin, and will choose to crack software.

Like someone said, too many people operate with a sense of entitlement, thinking they deserve everything on the cheap without paying a fair share. Then they wonder what happened when the company they parasitized off goes out of business, or is forced to sell assets to those who DO understand how to achieve profitability and protect assets.

So shut up and quit yer bitchin: you all got a cheap ride for awhile, and clearly got the wrong idea about the value of these plug-ins. Apparently the little pricing experiment didn't work, and if you want the benefits offered by the software in the future, it's time to pay the fiddler.

PS keep bashing Nichols and trying to drive away potential buyers, with your know-it-all sniping and juvenile rants, and before long even the level of transitional support being offered by EA and RND will no doubt evaporate, too. You guys just don't get it: Nichols seemingly is bailing EA out from going completely tits-up...

Chris

James Lehmann

#300704 - 22/05/06 06:22 AM
Well, the explanatory email they sent around (copied by Max) sheds a bit more light on this murky affair, but as Tim says - why didn't they explain this all a bit better AT THE SAME TIME AS making the announcement as opposed to 48 damaging hours later?

Anyway, I remain unconvinced by the following statements contained in it regarding the "benefits of the RND-EA relationship":

"Roger Nichols Digital (RND) products have much to offer."
Sounds good - tell me more...

"RND products will be distributed by a network of independent dealers and distributers..."
This is a Stoneage business model for most software today - why would anyone take this option if the product is available direct? If you do it right, surely it is far easier and more economical to sell and maintain software on-line, rather than adding an uneccessary layer of administration by expecting customers to go via a 3rd party?

"RND products are to be available as boxed versions..."
Can you explain to me why it is necessary to sell a piece of software in a cardboard box these days?

"The products will include printed documentation..."
What is wrong with PDF versions (especially if it keeps overheads down)? Surely users can always print their own and stick it in a binder?

"In addition to the software itself, they will have the benefit of the experience of an accomplished engineer and producer, which should result in improved usability for you."
All due respect to Roger Nichols' skills as an engineer, but usability of EA plug-ins was fine - the clarity of the GUI was a major factor in why I bought them in the first place! Are you saying that now I need Roger Nichols to tell me how to adjust the settings on EQ software I've been using for over a year?

"...as well as presets developed by Roger Nichols"
Um... do I need presets? How will Roger Nichols know which EQ bands to adjust in my tracks without hearing them?

"And these are just a few of the benefits to you of the Roger Nichols Digital and Elemental Audio relationship."
Hmm... none apparent to me so far - am I missing something?

ChrisCarter

Loc: In the studio or on the road.....
      #300713 - 22/05/06 07:43 AM
This story is pretty newsworthy and generating A LOT of interest, can someone from SOS editorial please interview RD for some 'horses mouth' comments and insights? I'd also be interested to know why he thinks "Bitchinizer" is a good name for a so called pro plugin.

PS
I just popped over to Roger's own forums, guess what? he's shut it down.
Slight possibilty that too many negative comments were being posted would be my guess.

--------------------
Web Site | Twitter | iTunes

Tim.

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: James Lehmann]
      #300714 - 22/05/06 07:50 AM
Quote James Lehmann:

"In addition to the software itself, they will have the benefit of the experience of an accomplished engineer and producer, which should result in improved usability for you."
All due respect to Roger Nichols' skills as an engineer, but usability of EA plug-ins was fine - the clarity of the GUI was a major factor in why I bought them in the first place! Are you saying that now I need Roger Nichols to tell me how to adjust the settings on EQ software I've been using for over a year?

Maybe this is the sort of thing they mean by ‘improved usability’?

From his site at: http://www.rndigital.com/index.html

--------------------

Tim.

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Feefer]
      #300717 - 22/05/06 08:01 AM
Quote:

So shut up and quit yer bitchin:

Feefer, you have expressed your opinion; I have no idea why you believe you have the right to tell other people they aren’t allowed to express theirs!

--------------------

Ian Stewart

#300724 - 22/05/06 08:16 AM
Hi Feefer, don't agree with your post at all. You are talking about wonderful businesses versus stingy musicians - you are so wrong. If you are a professional musician you are also in business and people are always trying to knock our prices down aswell. How many lame excuses have musicians heard in an attempt to get us to reduce our rates? The problems software companies face, I also face.
I am not a school kid on my parents computer doing music for fun, this is how I earn my living and I am under the same business pressure as anyone else. I will tell you something else in this country - it is cheaper to hire a musician with all his equipment than it is just to hire the equipment from a hire firm, that's how far our prices have been driven down.
Iunderstand how these businesses feel because I am under the same pressure. Maybe you're one of these people that thinks music isn't real work whereas business is. I've certainly met plenty of those.

-=@(*_*)@=-

Loc: Earth / Solar System
      #300727 - 22/05/06 08:22 AM
These days, it is very fashionable to hear "rude" stuff, Hip Hop music for instance... So the "BITCHINIZER" is going to appeal to some new "wannabe" cool + rude guys... That is were the industry is going ...

Then you get things like Mackie, named "BIG KNOB"! I bet soon there will be
a SOFTWARE version, so when you place your order, you'll be asked: "do you want a HARD one or a SOFT one ! LOL ... AND there will a BITCH taking your order on phone

Then, I predict, someone is going to come up with a NEW PLUGIN called the
BUT PLUG !!! This one will be OPTIMIZED and designed from the ground to improve your BOTTOM END Big time LOL

Anyway, what can you do ... have a dreenk or a spleeff and forget about it, life goes on ... there are more important thing to deal with in this world ...

In some interview, soon, you will read stories like: "when tracking my Misses vocal, I post process with the new Bitchinizer, it gives her so much attitude you know... LOL

Take care and take it EZEE guys... life can be very STIFF if you have a BIG KNOB

www.topfloormix.com

--------------------
-- Fingering the G_string. I play (B)ass Fu(n)k & MIX for the *STARS* http://www.ssradiouk.com/

Sonicus

#300741 - 22/05/06 09:00 AM

I Guess You do not use Elemental audio stuff Eh?
Quote Feefer:

Bottom line is no one's in business only to trade money, but to make a profit. Sadly, most consumers don't think companies deserve to earn even a reasonable profit margin, and will choose to crack software.

Where did you get that idea from I think 'most' customers are fully prepared to pay companies a reasonable 'profit'. It is those that use and create cracks who are completely oblivious to the concept of 'Fair Trade', they are ignorant. lazy and imho suck the life from the affluent and democratic society's they enjoy living in.

Quote Feefer:

Then they wonder what happened when the company they parasitized off goes out of business, or is forced to sell assets to those who DO understand how to achieve profitability and protect assets.

'Parasitized'
is an interesting way of describing sincere customers who bought a Plugin for the price that was being charged for it - I guess you think that all customers must apply some kind of 'predictive' foresight into their consumerism - they must think 'hmmm.... this plugin is unreasonably cheap for how good it is let me offer to pay more, much more.

What an idiotic thing to say. I as a customer have no interest in 'speculating' whether a company may go out of business because they are selling their plugs too cheap, my role is to pay what I am asked.

You are 'blaming' the customers for the demise of EAU (that is funny)

Quote Feefer:

You all got a cheap ride for awhile, and clearly got the wrong idea about the value of these plug-ins. Apparently the little pricing experiment didn't work, and if you want the benefits offered by the software in the future, it's time to pay the fiddler.

You think that Roger Tickles has the has the right idea about the 'value' of these plugs do you, The true 'value' of the plugs and company are hanging by a very thin thread at the moment and that is in NO WAY down to legitimate, sincere, paying cusomers.

Quote Feefer:

So shut up and quit yer bitchin

So you are telling us to all throw away our 'Bitchinizers' now are you, phew thanks for that, 'cos for a moment their I thought that Mr Roger Tickles had hired you as his Chief PR Guru.

Steve Hill

Loc: Oxfordshire
      #300772 - 22/05/06 10:20 AM
There's an interesting question in all this which Tim touches on: what's the status of my (business) insurance policy? I have documentary evidence of having bought some software for say $160 and now to replace it, if my studio burns down, I would need to spend $600.

I don't think any general insurance policy would give me more than $160.

Feefer, stop trying to speak for all of us. One person said they would have been willing to pay twice as much for EA products. Everyone else liked the product at the price it was offered, and that's how markets work.

Having bought the product, to learn that it will not henceforth be supported (except at substantial cost) is not only insulting, it may also be illegal, at least in the UK.

I hope Nichols has paid substantially over the odds for the EA assets, and the original EA team have got a decent wedge in return for their efforts over the years. I hope Nichols has had to borrow the money to buy the business. I hope his future sales are zero, the banks call in his loans, he goes bankrupt, and he never darkens our doors again.

Sadly however we seem to live in a world where people don't get their just desserts!

--------------------
Dynamite with a laser beam...

Ian Stewart

#300812 - 22/05/06 11:26 AM
Hi Steve, again I find myself agreeing with everything you said. Perhaps SOS could loose RN's column and replace it with something else. Perhaps there could be a guest ME every month. I for one have learnt so much on this forum from Neil Wight, Massive Mastering, James Perrett (and apologies to others whose names I haven't mentioed) so maybe MEs like them could do it.

James Lehmann

#300839 - 22/05/06 12:03 PM
Exhibit A
George Massenburg - famous recording engineer turned product designer, designs and builds his own legendary series of hardware and software from the ground up

Exhibit B
Roger Nichols - famous recording engineer turned product designer, buys up someone else's product designs, dumbs it down, triples the price and rebadges it under his own name

There's something not quite right about this.

UnderTow

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Feefer]
      #300853 - 22/05/06 12:13 PM
Quote Feefer:

All of this strongly suggests that EA wrote good software but didn't know jack about how to run a software business. These two qualities obviously are entirely different skill-sets.

This is pure assumption on your part. Obviously someone thought it was worth buying them so it can't be all bad.

Quote:

The EA guys clearly didn't know how to properly set prices for their wares, and didn't know how to protect their IP (although I'm no fan of iLok, either).

Nor does Roger Nichols or any company that uses iLok: iLok offers little or no protection.

Quote:

If EA actually knew how to run a successful business, they probably wouldn't have felt compelled to sell their assets to Roger Nichols.

Again pure assumption on your part. Maybe Roger Nichols offered them alot of money and they got $ signs in their eyes ...

Quote:

But how ironic so many of you are whining about the price increase while admitting that EA software was clearly under-priced (I see comments like "I would've paid twice the price for the software", etc).

There were a few comments like that but there were also many comments saying that they wouldn't pay for the new price.

Don't get fooled by companies like Waves that overcharge for their products. Those are not valid prices either.

Anyway, what makes you think that you know what the right price for a product is? Voxengo lowered their allready very reasonable prices recently ...

Quote:

It's short-sided to want prices so low that the company can't stay in business, and guess what happens to support when they go under?

Again assumption on your part. Do you have access to EA's financial details? If not, whence comes the arrogance of bitching to everyone when having no idea what you are talking about? (Hey, maybe you can write articles with Mr Nichols).

Quote:

This whole thread is about legitimate customers of Elemental Audio. I'm sure users of cracked software couldn't care less who owns the company and what the price of the products are. Although you are right about users of warez, your comment is irrelevant here.

Quote:

Like someone said, too many people operate with a sense of entitlement, thinking they deserve everything on the cheap without paying a fair share. Then they wonder what happened when the company they parasitized off goes out of business, or is forced to sell assets to those who DO understand how to achieve profitability and protect assets.

Are you insane? People pay exactly the asking price for a product and you bitch at them? Talking about entitlement, who died and made you king?

Quote:

So shut up and quit yer bitchin: you all got a cheap ride for awhile, and clearly got the wrong idea about the value of these plug-ins. Apparently the little pricing experiment didn't work, and if you want the benefits offered by the software in the future, it's time to pay the fiddler.

Again pure assumption on your part. Pray tell, what makes you an expert on the value of EA plugins?

Quote:

PS keep bashing Nichols and trying to drive away potential buyers, with your know-it-all sniping and juvenile rants, and before long even the level of transitional support being offered by EA and RND will no doubt evaporate, too.

So? However regretfull this would be for EA customers, in the bigger picture and on the long term, this could be a good thing because it sends a message to companies that they can't just grossly overcharge for plugins and treat their legitimate customers like this. Well unless you are Waves ...

Quote:

You guys just don't get it: Nichols seemingly is bailing EA out from going completely tits-up...

Chris

Maybe you don't get it. Maybe Nichols is just overcharging massively. You have no idea what the financial situation of EA is/was.

It would be fine if you would have written your post as a clear speculation and not gone out to insult legitimate customers but as it stands, your post is foolish and arrogant to say the least.

UnderTow

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#300855 - 22/05/06 12:14 PM
It's so sad that just as one gets belief and confidence in a market rife with competitive plugins, another company sells out to survive. This just undermines the consumers' buying confidence and does no good for the longevity of the software side of the industry. Be it bonafide due to losses, or a licenced market move, it all rocks the fragile confidence boat.

I wonder if existing, and future, manufacturers will provide a warranty against exactly this kind of situation?

Sadly, this just adds weight to the piracy camp's arguments, and for me, that is as sad as it can get.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

w oxo cube

Loc: W Yorks
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Ian Stewart]
      #300857 - 22/05/06 12:16 PM
Quote noiseconjecture:

Hi Steve, again I find myself agreeing with everything you said. Perhaps SOS could loose RN's column and replace it with something else. Perhaps there could be a guest ME every month. I for one have learnt so much on this forum from Neil Wight, Massive Mastering, James Perrett (and apologies to others whose names I haven't mentioed) so maybe MEs like them could do it.

yes,yes,yes tickles has lost alot of friends round here and writing for sos is like lee bowyer having a colum in sportsmanship weekly.

Tímo

Loc: Derby, England
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: w oxo cube]
      #300891 - 22/05/06 12:46 PM
Seems RND's forum has been taken offline:-

http://www.ioforums.net/forums/view_topic.php?id=290&forum_id=22

--------------------
http://Infekted.org ~ Access Virus news & community

James Lehmann

#300898 - 22/05/06 12:52 PM
Am I seeing things? I could have sworn that when I looked at Roger Nichols Digital website yesterday the plug-ins were $349 each - when I checked just now they are $249 each!

There's something very odd going on here, I think we should be told!

Tim.

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: James Lehmann]
      #300933 - 22/05/06 01:36 PM
No James, you aren’t seeing things, they most certainly were $349 yesterday.

So instead of them being four times the price they are now only three times… whoopee.

--------------------

Edited by Tim Rainey (22/05/06 01:37 PM)

C_T

Loc: London
      #300937 - 22/05/06 01:41 PM
Definately lowered the prices.

See the bitchin obviously works...

(runs for cover)

C

--------------------
Dual 2Ghz G5 2.5GB RAM, Logic Pro 7.2, Logic Control, MOTU 828mkII Drumkit from Hell C&V and Superior, EW QLSO Gold, Zebra and Cameleon, Melodyne Uno, Atmosphere, Max/MSP

Shaun Dark

#300963 - 22/05/06 02:16 PM
To say that the sales figures of contemporary music have dropped because there is too much bad music around is not true. Really.So why have I not bought much music in past 3 years seeing I have a collection of 10 to 20,000 records/cds.Can't see me buying sugababes.
I also don't like downloads.I like 16bit hardcopies.

The fact that you prefer to have a hard copy is not relevent to the point I'm making. Also Sugababes tracks are excellent when compared to some of the tripe that was around in the early 90s and late 80s.

And what are you on about not being able to find a Drum and Bass track you liked? haha What has that got to do with the argument?? I'm going to presume you mean that you couldn't buy it legally so you got a pirate copy?
No,actually found it on vinyl

If you found it on vinyl then what point were you originally trying to make with that comment??

Well whilst thats technically not OK I understand where you are comming from and have to admit that I'd probably do the same.

And how much would that cost to firms?

How should I know that's a stupid question. It's plainly obvious that some measures have to be taken because my generation are now in the habit of stealing intellectual properties. This is not a habit that will be easily broken.

Quite simple if you think about it.
If two people or two thousand people do the same thing who would have the better profit margin plus more of a chance getting a job

There have always been alot of people trying to make their way in music, the market has always been saturated. Thats not the problem.

Isn't it spelt metaphor?Don't you mean analogy(Your credibilty is sinking fast)?To answer your analogy,we don't employ anybody,and it's the company's responsibilty to protect themselves.
Thank you for making it so simple that I could grasp it

Very clever well done. I don't think my misspellings are as bad as your illegible sentence structures.

No,just lateral thinking again but thought your brilliance would have grasped it.
Your link isn't up btw so that should answer your question.

What link? Here's a link to my latest effort you smug c**t

http://www.emasters.co.uk/shaundark/Anarchist.mp3

No,no mispelt words but you seem to understand everything I say.Admittedly English isn't my forte but neither is yours.
We are talking about music and it's and art.The most talented people understand things in their own language.
You feel that being articulate is proof of your intelligence.
Would you like me to teach you how to pronounce those Greek words properly that you most definitely get wrong when using them in English.Quite funny!
What have I learnt from you?Nothing.
Why do I waste my time?Like a bit of banter I suppose.
Round three

From your first post you started on a very negative note and I can't stand smart asses, especially if they're not actually smart

--------------------

Squarepeg

Loc: Somerset, UK
      #300999 - 22/05/06 03:02 PM
Quote Shaun Dark:

http://www.emasters.co.uk/shaundark/Anarchist.mp3

Nice track! Although I don't think my Thinkpad speakers are doing it justice.

James Lehmann

#301005 - 22/05/06 03:25 PM
Couldn't Roger Nichols have done us all a favour by buying Waves instead!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ****
Thread views: 106186

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media