Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Steve Hill

Loc: Oxfordshire
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: ChrisCarter]
      #302481 - 24/05/06 10:34 PM
Great! Now we're into piano technique. Something important at last!

--------------------
Dynamite with a laser beam...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Studio Support Gnome
Not so Miserable Git

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Steve Hill]
      #302511 - 24/05/06 11:34 PM
Lol....

many a true word spoken in jest Steve mate...

and Feefer...

think...

Chuckle chuckle.

Max

--------------------
if you don't know who i am, i aint gonna tell you.

James Lehmann

Loc: Europe
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: ChrisCarter]
      #302571 - 25/05/06 07:07 AM
The following is the leaked first scene of an original film script featuring an entirely fictitious software company called Mental Audio (who just reported another year of ‘triple digit growth’) and an entirely fictitious Famous Recording Engineer. All similarities with real entities and persons, either living or dead, is unintentional and entirely coincidental. The script is soon to be made into a major motion picture, and is currently the subject of a massive bidding war between Hollywood's biggest players.

Scene 1

FAMOUS RECORDING ENGINEER: You guys at Mental Audio rock - I love your plug-ins, man!
MENTAL AUDIO: Gee, thanks, it’s always nice to hear positive feedback from our customers, especially well-known ones like yourself - may we add you to our list of ‘name’ users?
FAMOUS RECORDING ENGINEER: Absolutely. But look, I really wanna team-up with you guys - I’ve got some amazing new ideas for your plug-ins.
MENTAL AUDIO: Right... but we heard you are developing your own line of plug-ins, doesn’t that make us competitors?
FAMOUS RECORDING ENGINEER: No, no. I’m strictly going after the Pro-Tools market, and besides it’s not like you’re developing a Brendel-izer now is it (laughs). Anyway, I’m sure once you hear my ideas you’ll want to enter into some sort of collaboration with me.
MENTAL AUDIO: These must be pretty cool ‘ideas’! We’re listening...

FAMOUS RECORDING ENGINEER: OK guys, first off, how about some hip new names and happenin’ graphics for your stuffy old plug-ins?
MENTAL AUDIO: Hmm... changing the names and look of plug-ins seems like a lot more hassle than it’s worth and destroys hard-won brand identity. Well, just out of interest what did you have in mind?
FAMOUS RECORDING ENGINEER: The whole range needs a complete redesign - brushed chrome look and feel is where it’s at these days, man.
MENTAL AUDIO: Really? Is it that important? Of all the things our customers ask us for tweaking aesthetics is very low on the list - actually, most of them are quite happy with the ‘look’ of our plug-ins and praise our clean GUI’s.
FAMOUS RECORDING ENGINEER: But I was thinking more cool names that will appeal to the kids, like Dyna-miter - we could have a picture of an aeroplane dropping bombs for that one - and then the EQ could be a Frequal-ator ‘cos it’s kind of a cool play on words and would go well with this image of an electrified cartoon dinosaur I saw on the back of a cereal packet.
MENTAL AUDIO: Er... moving right along...

FAMOUS RECORDING ENGINEER: Guys, there’s this cool thing called an iLok which I take with me to all the studios I engineer in around the world and it has all my plug-ins on it - can I get my Mental Audio plugs on to that please?
MENTAL AUDIO: Cheers, but we do actually know what an iLok is, and it’s not like you’re the first customer who has asked us for this! Seriously, we might look at adding this as an option, but you need to be aware that for every customer who wants iLok support we have ten who categorically don’t want it - indeed, the lack of draconian copy-protection is often cited by our customers as a key factor in buying and recommending our plug-ins! These are the same customers that helped us to triple digit growth each year. We surely wouldn’t want to mess with that, would we?
FAMOUS RECORDING ENGINEER: OK, but I heard the iLok solves all your crack problems immediately?
MENTAL AUDIO: Ha-ha! You know what, folks are always going to find a way of cracking software no matter what sort of protection you bundle with it. Any software company that thinks otherwise is just plain naive. Here at Mental Audio we feel that if we offer a good product at a fair price and back that up with excellent customer service people will pay for it - our triple digit growth each year would seem to support that philosophy don’t you think? Of course, this is impossible to gauge but if you look out there at our target market, which ranges from professionals to serious amateurs, we reckon that out of this target market a very large percentage are fully paid-up customers - they place value on their time and musical activity and want to own our products. Sure, there’s the teenagers and geeks who simply like to collect cracked software “because it’s there” - some maybe even play with it, but neither of these groups are using our software in any serious capacity and don’t appear in our forecasts, so we can just ignore them. And no software company in their right mind is relying on sales figures from places like Russia to bolster their profits.

FAMOUS RECORDING ENGINEER: I need a manual that I can read on the plane.
MENTAL AUDIO: Well you could just ask your people to print out the PDF ones we supply and put it in a nice binder for you? Adding a printed manual would be a huge extra cost for us, force us to hike up the price, and destroy the direct online marketing model for our business (that has helped us to triple digit growth every year) as we’d start having to mail stuff out physically. But sure, we could price up a nice expensive-looking glossy one just for you personally - you won’t mind if it costs you $5,000 for a one-off print-run and every time we update something we bill you for a reprint?
FAMOUS RECORDING ENGINEER: Hmm...

FAMOUS RECORDING ENGINEER: My gear dealer usually brings around all the latest cool stuff for me to try. He’s complaining that times are hard as he can’t cream off a cut of your profits if you sell direct to me online - c’mon, the man’s gotta eat! Can’t you box up your plug-ins in loads of completely unnecessary and ecologically damaging raw materials so he has a physical ‘product’ to bring around (weeks after it's available online) and can pretend he’s providing me with a service and claim his usual 20%?
MENTAL AUDIO: No.

FAMOUS RECORDING ENGINEER: What if I let you have some of the settings I’ve used on a couple of records and you include them as presets?
MENTAL AUDIO: Well, we’re delighted to hear you found some good settings that work for the music you're engineering, but how on earth could you be sure these exact settings will work for all the other music our customers are mixing and mastering? But hey, you know what, it could be a money-spinner - there are some lazy folks out there who are dumb enough to think that their music will instantly sound like a Steely Dan record if they strap a “Famous Recording Engineer Compressor Preset” over it. How about we make a suite of downloadable ‘signature’ presets for an extra $10? - that seems like a fair price in view of how much time it would actually take you and what our customers might be prepared to pay.
FAMOUS RECORDING ENGINEER: A $10 optional add-on? I was thinking that bundling my presets with your plug-ins would instantly make them worth $349 each!
MENTAL AUDIO: Exactly what do you take our customers for?

FAMOUS RECORDING ENGINEER: OK, great - I'm glad we've got the makings of a deal hashed out! Guys, it's important that we don't tell anyone about all these exciting developments - just throw up a splashscreen on your website saying your plug-ins aren't available anymore, redirect them to my site and we'll take it from there.
MENTAL AUDIO: That's a bizarre way of treating people and doing business - it could lead to confusion and uncertainty resulting in negative publicity for both of us, and we wouldn't want that would we! Here at Mental Audio we've always tried our best to keep our customers up-to-date and informed, after all it's they who have helped us to triple-digit growth annually and they who are our most valuable asset for the future.

FAMOUS RECORDING ENGINEER: Alright guys, I’ll come clean. What I really wanted was some help from your programming boffins in getting my own series of plug-ins off the ground - having my name emblazoned across a range of serious audio products is the one thing missing from my otherwise impressive portfolio, and all the other Famous Recording Engineers are doing it. I’ve thought long and hard about this and I’ve come to the conclusion that the one secret ingredient Not-So-Famous Recording Engineers need to become famous like me is an Itchin’-Twitchin'-Witchin-izer plug-in - I’ve sketched out some doodles in crayon on the back of an old school book while we've been talking...
MENTAL AUDIO: Goodbye - please don’t call us again, and don't give up your day job!

to be continued...

Ian Stewart

#302580 - 25/05/06 07:45 AM
Exactly, here is a fictitious conversation with the marketing department.

FRE : "what's the biggest selling music at the moment"

Marketing manager : "probably hip hop, but there are others of course"

FRE : Ok I've heard hip hop, it uses lots of obscene language right and girls are called bitches?"

MM : "Yeah lots"

FRE : " right we'lll call the limiter the bitchin-izer with a z. What's more we'll make it street - the strap line could be :

Want to make your nasty beats really bad? then brothers need this muthaf----r. hey you know what I'm saying?"

MM "you are so cool, not only are you an expert on dighering but you really know what street kids think aswell"

SecretSam

Loc: Officially, I do not exist.
      #302581 - 25/05/06 07:46 AM
Very nicely done, James. I hope they print it in the magazine - facing what's-his-name's column.

--------------------
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Tim.

Loc: Not here
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: James Lehmann]
      #302798 - 25/05/06 01:49 PM
Quote:

to be continued...

I’m certainly looking forward to the next thrilling instalment

But I must say James, I’m kinda disappointed you’ve already sold out and entered a bidding war with Hollywood, the home of: stars of stage, screen and gutter.

--------------------
Studio: www.kymatasound.com

S G H Houbart

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Ian Stewart]
      #302807 - 25/05/06 02:00 PM
Quote noiseconjecture:

FRE : " right we'lll call the limiter the bitchin-izer with a z. "

Roger does look like the sort of dude who could market a fat slapper reverb.

Feefer

Loc: CA, USA
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Ian Stewart]
      #302833 - 25/05/06 02:35 PM
Quote noiseconjecture:

Exactly, here is a fictitious conversation with the marketing department.

FRE : "what's the biggest selling music at the moment"

Marketing manager : "probably hip hop, but there are others of course"

FRE : Ok I've heard hip hop, it uses lots of obscene language right and girls are called bitches?"

MM : "Yeah lots"

FRE : " right we'lll call the limiter the bitchin-izer with a z. What's more we'll make it street - the strap line could be :

Want to make your nasty beats really bad? then brothers need this muthaf----r. hey you know what I'm saying?"

MM "you are so cool, not only are you an expert on dighering but you really know what street kids think aswell"

God, it is pathetic that anyone cares enough to even worry about the name here? Didn't one of your boys write, "A rose by any other name"? But apparently you Brits know nothing about American colloquial terms, either. The above is funny, a Brit's perception of American coversation. That's OK: my landyard thing was based on an old "Mutiny on the Bounty" movie, with Capt Bligh....

Anyway, the term 'bitchin' stems back from the early 1970's in So. California (it was popular amongst teens when I was a kid). Ever seen surfer/stoner Jeff Spicoli in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"? It was used quite alot to suggest something that's way cool. It predates hip-hop by a few decades.

Use the term today, and it's so outdated that anyone under 40 would have no idea what you're talking about. You're missing the subtle irony: the term 'bitchen' is so passe, so dated, so 1970s', so anti- to what the young kids are doing today, that it's kind of a statement in and of itself. Really now: if he were trying to use terms the urban kids are using today, he might've called some product "the Krunkinizer", or perhaps "the Phatizer" (too easy).

You guys are worrying WAAAYYY too much about names. "Lounge Lizard?" I mean, the nerve of naming a plug-in after a reptile!

Get a grip: plug-ins use silly names. Shall we go down the list?

Chris

--------------------
1.5GHz Al 17" Powerbook G4 (2.0GB RAM, Hitachi 60GB 7,200 rpm drive), running Logic Pro 7 under OSX 10.4.5

Tim.

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Feefer]
      #302840 - 25/05/06 02:45 PM
Feefer, put the shovel down and step away from the hole…

--------------------

Ian Stewart

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Feefer]
      #302846 - 25/05/06 02:49 PM
Quote Feefer:

Anyway, the term 'bitchin' stems back from the early 1970's in So. California (it was popular amongst teens when I was a kid). Ever seen surfer/stoner Jeff Spicoli in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"? It was used quite alot to suggest something that's way cool. It predates hip-hop by a few decades.

Use the term today, and it's so outdated that anyone under 40 would have no idea what you're talking about. You're missing the subtle irony: the term 'bitchen' is so passe, so dated, so 1970s', so anti- to what the young kids are doing today, that it's kind of a statement in and of itself. Really now: if he were trying to use terms the urban kids are using today, he might've called some product "the Krunkinizer", or perhaps "the Phatizer" (too easy).

This is another example of the huge cultural differences between America and the UK. The first time I heard musicians use *bitch* was in the 80s when guitarists would say it would *feed back like a bitch*, used in a perjorative sense. I certainly didn't know its provenance was in 70s California. I do think its a crass name though but if it is the same as the Finis or better I would still probably buy it.
However I would think a huge number of Americans find the name offensive whereas a huge number of people in the UK would probably find it amusing.
We have to have a sense of irony and humour in the uk, how else could we cope with our politicians.

However it does occur to one to wonder if RND is a insolent cad.

James Lehmann

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Tim.]
      #302849 - 25/05/06 02:53 PM
Quote Tim Rainey:

Quote:

to be continued...

I’m certainly looking forward to the next thrilling instalment

But I must say James, I’m kinda disappointed you’ve already sold out and entered a bidding war with Hollywood, the home of: stars of stage, screen and gutter.

Yeah well, gotta make back the money I wasted on breaking plug-ins somehow!

Tarantino's onboard to direct, Anthony Hopkins will be playing the louche FAMOUS RECORDING ENGINEER trying a new career move, with Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson taking the fast-talking comic roles of the dudes from MENTAL AUDIO who find themselves in way over their heads. We all fill out the roles of EXTRAS who, as usual, get kicked about and shat on from a great height. I haven't figured who will play the LOVE INTEREST as there isn't really a whole lot of love going around in this picture!

SecretSam

#302892 - 25/05/06 04:04 PM
Right. That's enough banter.

I'm off to the pub to drink some stupid-izer.

--------------------

Edited by SecretSam (25/05/06 04:05 PM)

ZombieSlugs

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: SecretSam]
      #302921 - 25/05/06 05:06 PM
Once you're drunk you'll be ready for the next plugin coming up..

The SODOM-IZER!

It'll anal-yze your audio with it's special "vibro action" dongle!!!

--------------------
http://www.zombieslugs.com

E D

Loc: London
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Tim.]
      #302946 - 25/05/06 05:46 PM
Quote Tim Rainey:

Feefer, put the shovel down and step away from the hole…

Feefer is right though.

Lars Farm

Loc: Sundsvall, Sweden
      #302951 - 25/05/06 05:57 PM
Quote Feefer:

God, it is pathetic that anyone cares enough to even worry about the name here? ... Get a grip: plug-ins use silly names.

If a buyer chooses to keep his money because the name puts him off then I'd say it is a poorly chosen name.

Ian Stewart

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: James Lehmann]
      #302953 - 25/05/06 05:59 PM
Quote James Lehmann:

I haven't figured who will play the LOVE INTEREST as there isn't really a whole lot of love going around in this picture!

How about Feefer and LittleM?

Steve Hill

#302977 - 25/05/06 06:31 PM
Quote Feefer:

Anyway, the term 'bitchin' stems back from the early 1970's in So. California (it was popular amongst teens when I was a kid).

And in civilized parts of the world it's about as offensive to women as calling black people niggers.

And if Mr Global Distribution Network Let Me Sell Your Products Cos I Know Everything There Is To Know About Everything can't work that out with, at a minimum, a couple of phone calls, then he truly deserves his imminent bankruptcy does he not?

I look forward to the Ku Klux Klanalizer next!

Jeez, this guy is such a moron.

--------------------

OmarHash

Loc: West Vancouver, British Columb...
      #302990 - 25/05/06 06:58 PM
who the hell in north america says "bitchin'" anymore!!!

"hey man, that was like tooootally BITCHIN' duuuuuuuude!" <<------ so 1975

2006 update -------->> "coke-bitch-blowin-izer" <<------- roger ramjet, take note! change your plugin's name to this.

"Rub-on-Gum'nizer"
"CokkarrrRRoach'nizer"

etc... now that's the cali way!

--------------------
Adopt kids, not styles!!!!!

ZombieSlugs

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: OmarHash]
      #303008 - 25/05/06 07:49 PM
Ok, it's time for an "o-rly-izer"!

And I haven't heard "bitchin'" for years.. and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area!

Whaaatever..

--------------------
http://www.zombieslugs.com

Feefer

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Steve Hill]
      #303009 - 25/05/06 07:49 PM
Quote Steve Hill:

Quote Feefer:

Anyway, the term 'bitchin' stems back from the early 1970's in So. California (it was popular amongst teens when I was a kid).

And in civilized parts of the world it's about as offensive to women as calling black people niggers.

Geez, you don't get it.

The term Bitchen' has NOTHING to do with the derogatory use of the word "bitch", which BTW IS entirely unoffensive in proper usage (when referring to a female dog). Obviously it's not flattering to use the term 'bitch' to describe a women, and you'll deservedly get bitch-slapped if you say it to the wrong women.

On the other hand, if you told a girl back in the 1970's that her Farrah Fawcett "wings" hairstyle were bitchen, she'd be flattered. It was the ultimate complement, saying something possessed coolness to the point of causing wide-eyed amazement.

As an aside, why do some Brits get so offended by the word 'bloody'? I think of a bloody bandage, and there's nothing intrinsically offensive in the idea of something covered with blood (aside from violent implications, but whatever).... What have you guys done to the word to load so much baggage onto it? Is it simply because it serves as a space-filler for potentially more offensive words that it's considered so vile? Or is it a vague reference to the female menstrual cycle? Sorry, I just don't get why you guys get your panties in a wad over that word...

Anyway, when I saw the name of the plug-in "Bitchen-izer", I didn't think deep about it, but read it as kind of a jab at the silly marketing bullshit and hyperbole that is so prevalent in the MI industry, and yet sadly, so effective at stimulating sales (where's my sonic maximizer?). The claim of a plug-in that single-handedly makes the mix sound 'so bitchen' on it's own is so intrinsically silly that you don't take it's claim seriously, and it struck me as being more parody than anything.

Does it offer some sonic benefit? How does it sound? I dunno: haven't heard it. It probably sounds quite bitchen. It probably imparts it's unique quality to the sound, and some may find it quite useful to obtain a certain effect. But guess what: that describes ANY plug-in you can imagine, whether a compressor, reverb, phaser/chorus, etc.

Chris

--------------------
1.5GHz Al 17" Powerbook G4 (2.0GB RAM, Hitachi 60GB 7,200 rpm drive), running Logic Pro 7 under OSX 10.4.5

Feefer

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: OmarHash]
      #303011 - 25/05/06 07:54 PM
Quote OmarHash:

who the hell in north america says "bitchin'" anymore!!!

"hey man, that was like tooootally BITCHIN' duuuuuuuude!" <<------ so 1975

2006 update -------->> "coke-bitch-blowin-izer" <<------- roger ramjet, take note! change your plugin's name to this.

"Rub-on-Gum'nizer"
"CokkarrrRRoach'nizer"

etc... now that's the cali way!

Dude, you Canucks should learn to spell it first: b-i-t-c-h-e-n. If you guys did, it would be gnarly.

Here's a reference to the controversy:

http://www.bitchen.com/bitchen/

Eytmology:

http://www.bitchen.com/bitchen/etymology.html

Chris

--------------------

OmarHash

Loc: West Vancouver, British Columb...
      #303020 - 25/05/06 08:12 PM
^ ok there, Webster!

--------------------
Adopt kids, not styles!!!!!

Steve Hill

#303112 - 25/05/06 10:29 PM
Quote Feefer:

On the other hand, if you told a girl back in the 1970's that her Farrah Fawcett "wings" hairstyle were bitchen, she'd be flattered. It was the ultimate complement, saying something possessed coolness to the point of causing wide-eyed amazement.

No, two or three teenage girls in SoCal with nothing for brains might have found it complimentary. The rest of the world would not. There is nothing cool (and never was) in gratuitous offensiveness, although some sectors of teenage juvenalia have always though that by being outrageous enough they might possibly make it so.

You yanks (well some of you, I exclude certain friends!) are so f***ing insular at times it is really beyond belief.

You are right: the only legitimate usage of the word is to describe a female dog. Most women I am aquainted with rightly resent that comparison. My wife finds this offensive therefore I do (although as it happens I did not need her to tell me it was offensive to start with).

Now for f**k's sake grow up and stop trying to defend the indefensible.

P.S. My wife is a co-director of my company, and an intelligent, liberated sometime singer for some major acts. And if she tells me we aren't having something childishly offensive in the studio, believe me - it ain't going to happen!

--------------------

Edited by Steve Hill (25/05/06 10:36 PM)

Reds

Loc: Beautiful side of the river.
      #303114 - 25/05/06 10:34 PM
Ok. How about "The Bitumen-izer" instead.

These plugs are totally water-proof, and non-offensive to women whilst having the benefit of sounding it. A bit.

Edited by Reds (25/05/06 10:37 PM)

Steve Hill

#303124 - 25/05/06 11:13 PM
Quote Feefer:

As an aside, why do some Brits get so offended by the word 'bloody'? I think of a bloody bandage, and there's nothing intrinsically offensive in the idea of something covered with blood (aside from violent implications, but whatever).... What have you guys done to the word to load so much baggage onto it?

OK, let's deal with that one too. It's commonly held to be a contraction of "By Our Lady" and therefore blasphemous vis-a-vis the Virgin Mary (without exploring in any great detail any menstrual subtexts attached to this notion), and therefore good upright God-fearing Christian folk avoid the word.

I, on the other hand, don't give a bloody toss.

--------------------

UnderTow

#303135 - 25/05/06 11:31 PM
Quote Steve Hill:

I, on the other hand, don't give a bloody toss.

On the one hand if one group of people use a term in a non insulting manner, it isn't ok because some people might get offended, but if you use another term that you find ok but might offend some people it is ok? Isn't that a bit hypocritical?

Anyway, however silly I might find the term bitchen, it isn't quite the same thing as calling a woman a bitch.

UnderTow

Studio Support Gnome
Not so Miserable Git

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: UnderTow]
      #303140 - 25/05/06 11:41 PM
and the MRT point behind all this ???

--------------------
if you don't know who i am, i aint gonna tell you.

UnderTow

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Studio Support Gnome]
      #303143 - 25/05/06 11:47 PM
Quote Max The Mac:

and the MRT point behind all this ???

Point? I think this thread is way beyond making any point.

Talking about points, care to respond to the Liquid Mix thread since I have backed my comments with technical documents from the makers or do you just like to fling mud and run away?

UnderTow

tomas

Loc: Luxembourg
      #303168 - 26/05/06 01:10 AM
Quote Steve Hill:

And if she tells me we aren't having something childishly offensive in the studio, believe me - it ain't going to happen!

Yeah, my wife can be a bit of a bitch too sometimes...

--------------------
cheers,
t-:

James Lehmann

#303184 - 26/05/06 06:17 AM
Getting back on topic...

STOP PRESS! This is unbelievable - Roger Nichols Digital have just put THE PRICES OF THE PLUG-INS BACK UP TO $349!!!!!!!!!

All bets are off now - RND has behaved in an almost comically unprofessional manner from the minute they announced their involvement with Elemental Audio; my advice to the latter would be to do all they can to reneg on their deal and start re-selling their own plug-ins before the whole operation blows completely apart. I am sure the folks at EA are cursing the day they ever got involved with RND - heads must surely roll somewhere.

We've been through the roller-coaster of anger, disappointment, outrage etc etc - there's really only one course of action left and that is simply to laugh at this whole sad, sordid, pathetic business. How grown men can make such utter fools of themselves in public is quite beyond me but any shred of credibility still held by RND/EA has now completely evaporated with this plug-in yo-yo pricing business. No company can casually flip the pricing of such an item by +/- $100 on a daily basis and expect to be taken seriously by its customers.

Hey folks - let's have a sweepstake on what the price of the plug-ins will be tomorrow! My money's on $0.00 as RND is clearly hell-bent on self-destruction and will very soon be out of business.

SecretSam

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: ZombieSlugs]
      #303188 - 26/05/06 07:22 AM
I wish I had read your post last night, Wooly.

That Sodom-izer really compresses your bottom end.

--------------------

SecretSam

#303190 - 26/05/06 07:29 AM
But ... BOT (back on topic)

I wonder whether, in the light of twelve pages of mostly negative posts viewed some 2600+ times (and counting) by the anorakiest and most opinionated audio geeks around the world, Elemental Audio will be able to extricate themselves from this ill-advised business deal and get back to doing what they do best ... producing great software without dongles at good prices ?

Fingers crossed.

--------------------

Steve Hill

#303201 - 26/05/06 08:02 AM
Quote James Lehmann:

STOP PRESS! This is unbelievable - Roger Nichols Digital have just put THE PRICES OF THE PLUG-INS BACK UP TO $349!!!!!!!!!

It's always sad to see a decent business self-destruct.

--------------------

Ian Stewart

#303223 - 26/05/06 08:53 AM
One of the principles of pop psychology (which I love) is alway look for benign explanations, they are usually the most accurate.
I suppose the benign explanation in this is extreme competence in one field coupled with extreme incompetence in another. I personally have seen this so many times.
The most likely explanation is, I would think, that an exceptional software company turns to an exceptional recording engineer to do its marketing. Why not get a good marketing person, they exist?
What we will probably never find out is what is in it for Elemental Audio, they must be getting something out of it.
I can not believe that the customer relations are so bad. Even a local cafe would have better customer relations than this. If a rival really wanted to destroy Elemental Audio they couldn't do a better job than RND appears to be doing at the moment. It is tempting to wonder if RND want EAS out of the market place for good and this is their way of doing it.

Tim.

#303236 - 26/05/06 09:19 AM
Quote Steve Hill:

Quote James Lehmann:

Bombs:

and Dinosaurs:

Ironically prophetic?

--------------------

kubrick2001

#303241 - 26/05/06 09:23 AM
Quote Steve Hill:

Quote James Lehmann:

What do you want with names like "DYNAM-IZER"...

warmer where we were

#303270 - 26/05/06 09:55 AM
Quote Feefer:

Quote Steve Hill:

Quote Feefer:

Anyway, when I saw the name of the plug-in "Bitchen-izer", I didn't think deep about it, but read it as kind of a jab at the silly marketing bullshit and hyperbole that is so prevalent in the MI industry, and yet sadly, so effective at stimulating sales (where's my sonic maximizer?).

Chris

I don't think a company would spend time and money on creating a name that was 'Ironic' in such away that most people didn't really get it, isolating part of their market. I work in around these sorts of companies and they really would come up with a name so out of touch with their target because they themselves are as down with the kids as saying 'down with the kids, init'. I very much doubt there is any subtle ironic marketing going on here. I have heard conversations very smilar to the one you said would not have happened.

--------------------
www.myspace.com/simonjohnfield

Tim.

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: warmer where we were]
      #303288 - 26/05/06 10:35 AM

This image of a WWII style turboprop plane dropping bombs against a background of the traditional image of radiating rays associated with the ‘land of the rising sun’… I wonder how that image will be received in Japan.

--------------------

Tomás Mulcahy

Loc: Cork, Ireland.
      #303317 - 26/05/06 11:35 AM
Quote James Lehmann:

How grown men can make such utter fools of themselves in public is quite beyond me

It happens all the time, just look back over this thread...

--------------------
madtheory creations
Synths and pianos for Kontakt

James Lehmann

#303430 - 26/05/06 02:05 PM
Quote noiseconjecture:

One of the principles of pop psychology (which I love) is alway look for benign explanations, they are usually the most accurate.
I suppose the benign explanation in this is extreme competence in one field coupled with extreme incompetence in another. I personally have seen this so many times.
The most likely explanation is, I would think, that an exceptional software company turns to an exceptional recording engineer to do its marketing. Why not get a good marketing person, they exist?
What we will probably never find out is what is in it for Elemental Audio, they must be getting something out of it.
I can not believe that the customer relations are so bad. Even a local cafe would have better customer relations than this. If a rival really wanted to destroy Elemental Audio they couldn't do a better job than RND appears to be doing at the moment. It is tempting to wonder if RND want EAS out of the market place for good and this is their way of doing it.

Spot on with this excellent post!

It's also fascinating to speculate whether a SINGLE PERSON has actually purchased these rebadged RND plug-ins yet? Come out, come out, wherever you are... we won't bite (we'll just have a laugh at your expense!).

I must admit to laughing hard for at least two minutes this morning at the crazy absurdity of this whole debacle. Humour is the only escape left for me after seeing my $500 investment in EA sinking further and further into the comically inept corporate quagmire that is Roger Nichols Digital.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ****
Thread views: 64302

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media