Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
ZombieSlugs

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: SecretSam]
      #303570 - 26/05/06 06:14 PM
Quote SecretSam:

I wish I had read your post last night, Wooly.

That Sodom-izer really compresses your bottom end.

I've discovered that it works relly well if I have a shite track, too! Really gets it pumping, makes it very "brown".

I'll get me coat..

ps. Good one!

--------------------
http://www.zombieslugs.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Steve Hill

Loc: Oxfordshire
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Ian Stewart]
      #303601 - 26/05/06 07:33 PM
Quote noiseconjecture:

It is tempting to wonder if RND want EAS out of the market place for good and this is their way of doing it.

Maybe he had a hard time with a technical support call centre one day.

If so, I could possibly have a grudging respect!!

--------------------
Dynamite with a laser beam...

kubrick2001

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: James Lehmann]
      #303742 - 27/05/06 08:20 AM
Quote James Lehmann:

Getting back on topic...

STOP PRESS! This is unbelievable - Roger Nichols Digital have just put THE PRICES OF THE PLUG-INS BACK UP TO $349!!!!!!!!!

new update: they are back $249. The RND prices are more fluctuating then the oil prices

Steve Hill

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: ChrisCarter]
      #303751 - 27/05/06 09:03 AM
This might be as pointless a time as any to state that UAD plug-ins are currently all reduced by 15% (till 31 May) and that on 1 June they launch their Neve 1073 EQ.

OK, you need the card, but $67 for a Pultec ain't bad http://my.uaudio.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=33&osCsid=43a6967b 10cf60fd84080da94ff29fef

--------------------

Gelled_Fringe

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: ChrisCarter]
      #303771 - 27/05/06 10:01 AM
Apparently Roger Nichols enters the Big Brother house on Monday

Sonicus

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Gelled_Fringe]
      #303878 - 27/05/06 03:04 PM
Quote Gelled_Fringe:

Apparently Roger Nichols enters the Big Brother house on Monday

Sorry Gelled, you've been misinformed.

I have it on record from a reliable source at the BBC that

Quote: We are pleased to announce an exciting new development for next season.

"Roger Nichols will be replacing Sir Alan Sugar as the new Entreupreneur in The Apprentice"

The Apprenticizer

Roger will be Interviewing talented and ambitious software creators and
developers to win a chance of a £1,000,000 partnership deal with him and his company RND.

He is a no-nonsense hard-hitting kick-ass kinda guy who does not like bull shitters, schmoozers or ar*se lickers.

Gelled_Fringe

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Sonicus]
      #303889 - 27/05/06 03:44 PM
LOL!

Episode 1: The Boardroom, RN HQ

RN: "Sally - send 'em in! Bitchin!!!"
Sally: "Certainly Your Highness"
RN: "Yo! Drop the bomb!!!! Who are you losers? You suck!!!!!"
EA: "Umm, we are software progr.."
RN: "Hey buddy YAWNSVILLE ARIZONA!! Time is money pal tell the sob stories to the judge!! Your stuff any good?"
EA: "We have received favourable reviews from many respected critics.."
RN: "GTFO homie!!! F the critics and F tha police like NWA rapped back in the day. Hip, hop, you don't stop, rap scratch and grunge hit me my bitch!!! HAHAHAHA!!! SALLY MORE COFFEE IN HERE!!!! Ok listen I have seven grammies son what YOU got? You don't got jack, that's why I'm swivelling in the aeron and you are swivelling on something else!!! But don't 'get it twisted' I'm here to help. How much for your entire company and your souls?"
EA: "Ummm..."
RN: "Sign here and GTFO guys, great doing business with you, I'm brunching with Eddie Van Halen in 10 so make like Biggie Smalls and exit stage left. YOU'RE FIRED!!!"

Fade to montage of buildings being demolished ending with an aerial shot of Hiroshima.

Sonicus

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Gelled_Fringe]
      #303894 - 27/05/06 04:06 PM
Lol! man, LMAO

Boy this thread is getting ridiculous - I haven't had so much fun for a while.

James Lehmann

Loc: Europe
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Sonicus]
      #303897 - 27/05/06 04:18 PM
Quote Noiseflaw:

this thread is getting ridiculous...

In fitting tribute to the even more ridiculous real events that spawned it!

Ian Stewart

#303909 - 27/05/06 04:49 PM
Quote Noiseflaw:

He is a no-nonsense hard-hitting kick-ass kinda guy who does not like bull shitters, schmoozers or ar*se lickers.

Or marketing people. Everything you need to know about marketing he can sum up in one sentence *Quadruple the prices, grab some pictures from 50's boys comics, some slang from the 70s, and the marketing department can go market my bitchin ass - you know what I'm saying y'all*.

Check this out - you wont laugh when you hear my new multiband ejaculizer - its dope, it will make you beats really sick, you know it's like put your beats through it and every ho will want to go blow the eiffel tower.

Feefer

Loc: CA, USA
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: kubrick2001]
      #303910 - 27/05/06 04:53 PM
Quote kubrick2001:

Quote James Lehmann:

Getting back on topic...

STOP PRESS! This is unbelievable - Roger Nichols Digital have just put THE PRICES OF THE PLUG-INS BACK UP TO $349!!!!!!!!!

new update: they are back $249. The RND prices are more fluctuating then the oil prices

Did anyone stop to consider that perhaps some hacker monkeyed with their site, or the ISP maintaining the server goofed up and reverted to an older version? Alot of assumptions are being made in the peanut gallery here...

Oh, well, I'm off to start a campaign against Propellerhead software in a bunch of internet forums. I mean, what are they suggesting with THAT name: a beanie with a propeller on top? Can't take those guys seriously, at all... Have you noticed how all their titles start with "Re-" (ReCycle, Reactor, Reason, Remote, Rewire, etc). Man, how stupid, like they're trying to create a sense of a unified product line. What a stupid way to do it.

Then on to Native Instruments: the guys apparently can't even spell the names of their own software properly (should be spelled Contact, Core, Complete, Intact, Compact, Acoustic Piano, Electric Piano, Spectral Decay, etc). What idiots, or probably Kommunists, with their fascination with the letter 'k'! If you can't even spell, how good can your software be?

Next up after that is Ndc Plugs "Feedback-y Thing": another stupid name that insults my professional sensibility. How dare they?

Chris

--------------------
1.5GHz Al 17" Powerbook G4 (2.0GB RAM, Hitachi 60GB 7,200 rpm drive), running Logic Pro 7 under OSX 10.4.5

Ian Stewart

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Feefer]
      #303917 - 27/05/06 05:04 PM
Quote Feefer:

Did anyone stop to consider that perhaps some hacker monkeyed with their site, or the ISP maintaining the server goofed up and reverted to an older version? Alot of assumptions are being made in the peanut gallery here...

I think that is highly unlikely Kris

Feefer

#303918 - 27/05/06 05:08 PM
Quote Noiseflaw:

One name: Simon Cowell.

I want to personally thank the United Kingdom for inflicting Simon Cowell on us via the American Idol T.V. show, with his know-it-all, "I'm HUGE in the British music scene" attitude, "you'll never make it in this biz" advice, and his silly too-tight black shirts. Pushing 50, but wearing 20-something form-fitting shirts. Really now: makes your gripes about RN and his hawaiian shirt seem silly. Your boy Simon makes Roger Nichols come off as being as humble as Ghandi in comparison. Didn't you guys knight Simon, too?

So, yeah: thanks, guys. Somehow all the forum bashing has all clicked into place, after thinking of Simon with his critique ("that was the most AWFUL singing I've EVER heard". Young you British lads fancy yourselves as future Simon Cowells, don't ya, modelling yourselves after him?

PS glad to see Simon is now spinning off his international success on American Idol to produce another show to be premiered shortly (some competition reality-based show about inventors. Maybe we'll see someone on the show trying to invent a hardware effects device).

Chris

--------------------
1.5GHz Al 17" Powerbook G4 (2.0GB RAM, Hitachi 60GB 7,200 rpm drive), running Logic Pro 7 under OSX 10.4.5

Gelled_Fringe

#303924 - 27/05/06 05:29 PM
"Sally!! These brits are still yappin their traps on the innernet. Send my main bitch Feefer in to clean up this mess - get him to say we got hacked by the japs or the ruskies or some horsesh*t. Also, that fruit Cowell never said thanks for the flowers I sent, make sure he gets a good 'slagging' as those fish n chip cup o tea limey f**ks would put it. Ok I'm ready for my meeting with Jack Daniels!!"

Sonicus

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Feefer]
      #303926 - 27/05/06 05:33 PM
Quote Feefer:

...Your boy Simon makes Roger Nichols come off as being as humble as Ghandi in comparison.

"Roger Nichols helps Ghandi end the British occupation of India through the use of 'Non-Violent' protest"

Roger Nichols invents the 'Peacer-izer'

*****NewsFlash******

Roger Nichols Buys Simon Cowell.

Steve Hill

#303927 - 27/05/06 05:34 PM
You got it in one Chris. We're fed up of our "famous British reserve", our "stiff upper lip", our "legendary sense of humour".

St Simon has shown us the light and we're bitchin'

(Hey - you guys bought his show, you don't have to like it... call it revenge for the A-Team)

--------------------

spitfire31

#303930 - 27/05/06 05:41 PM
There's so much noise in this thread that it's hard going to filter out what's actually some kind of information. ;-) So, if this has been mentioned already, please bear with me.

Anyway, I'd just like to point out that:

1) Registered EA customers will get one more free update from EA (old names, old GUI, as I understand :-D) which will include Mactel Universal Binary compatibility.

2) Registered EA customers can upgrade to the current version of the RN branded EA plugs for about USD 20.

3) EA will continue to develop plugs for RN.

This is all made clear in the EA email that went out to registered EA customers.

//Joey

James Lehmann

#303957 - 27/05/06 06:31 PM
Quote Feefer:

Next up after that is Ndc Plugs "Feedback-y Thing": another stupid name that insults my professional sensibility. How dare they?

"Feefer"

By harping on about the changes of name you have consistently chosen to ignore the much more important issues at the heart of this thread. I highly doubt you actually own any of these plug-ins because if you did you'd be busy expressing the same concerns as the rest of us instead of constantly revisiting a relatively minor issue. Why don't you stop your monotonous sledge-hammering about the name-changes and make some attempt to give us solid answers to the following much more important questions:

1) If we upgrade our system software regularly, as is normal and expected procedure for most computer-users, can you give us an assurance that our Elemental Audio plug-ins will still work, say, one year from now?

2) If they don't work, why will we then be forced to pay for a 'crossgrade' and buy an iLok? (And don't give me that 'copy-protection' BS - EA themselves have admitted that this is a 'distant' consideration.)

3) Why are new customers being asked to fork out 3-400% more (depending on weather conditions at RND central) for the same plug-ins?

4) Roger Nichols Digital says that the crossgrade price will be "around $20" and "available at some point" (also goes for the as-yet unseen 'new' versions of Inspector and Finis). In a week where we've seen the new price yo-yo up and down by +/-$100 several times how are we possibly expected to take any statements that this company makes as being reliable?

5) Given the universally-derided, unprofessional and ill-considered manner in which this merger was handled, can you blame us (some of whom have invested $500+ in EA) for being decidely nervous about the future of the new arrangement and therefore our investment? (Even the most rabid RND/EA supporter would surely have to concede that the way the change-over was handled has been a PR disaster for both companies?)

6) To criticise us existing EA customers for protesting about the price rises and other future developments is blinkered beyond belief. By way of example: when Higher Education students in Britain like myself took to the streets in the 1980's to demonstrate against the then Conservative Government's proposed cuts in Education grants we were marching mainly for the benefit of future generations of students, as the cuts would not have come into force until after we had graduated. Not to have protested on behalf of the next generation would have been an unforgiveable abdication of a bare minimum of social responsibility. I'm no self-righteous moral crusader, and this is just an example, but the analogy fits perfectly - are you saying you disagree with this basic philosophy?

7) What actual purpose does it serve to radically alter the names and the look of what EA assure us have been well-received and financially successful (triple-digit annual growth etc) products ?

8) What useful connection is there between the image of an aircraft dropping bombs and a piece of professional audio processing software?

9) Can you articulate clearly to us what immediate benefits the union with RND has brought EA customers so far, and what it will bring us in the future? (And if you answer "Presets" you will destroy what little inclination most of us have left to listen to you at all on this whole topic.)

Give us some informed and properly referenced answers to this lot or cease peddling your misdirected brand of repetitive pedantry in this thread.

Ian Stewart

#303958 - 27/05/06 06:33 PM
Doctor I keep having this recurring dream

Tell me

Well I'm thinking of buying Ozone 3 and as soon as I go to order it I find its off the market because its been taken over RND.

This is hardly a matter for a psychiatrist

But there's more doctor. You see I really like Waitrose whole grain bread and in my recurring dream I go to buy loaf and its gone up over 400% to £4.85. Then I go to get some dessicated coconut and the names been changed to cocoslashizer and its now £17.95

Is there are reason for this in your dream?

Well aubergines now come with a printed manual

Right here's an address, I want you to go there on Saturday nights

Is it a therapy group?

No its a clubbing night for over 40s and they play non stop psy trance on vinyl - you need to get out more. Here's some tablets to calm you down

Why has it got E's on the box

Its just an old box don't worry about it

Feefer

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: James Lehmann]
      #303982 - 27/05/06 07:40 PM
Quote James Lehmann:

1) If we upgrade our system software regularly, as is normal and expected procedure for most computer-users, can you give us an assurance that our Elemental Audio plug-ins will still work, say, one year from now?

Do you really fail to get it, or are you playing clueless?

As I stated earlier, I don't own the EA stuff. But due to the rants and attacks you guys have engaged in, I am extremely unlikely to buy them NOW. Not that the product has changed: those plugs still provide the same musical effect as before RN bought them out. No, I'm less inclined to buy, for why would ANYONE buy software where users are libelling the owner with terms like "incompetent", etc? Most buyers, RUN, don't walk, from buying from a business where current buyers are whining about the company.

Now extrapolate that to 1,000 other people reading the forum, seeing you guys bitch, and realizing your bitching is likely to kill ANY and ALL future sales. Extrapolate that to the near future, and if your character assassination has it's expected effect the people who write YOUR software (the license you've already bought) WILL go out of business, and YOU will be orphaned with software that is no longer updated, no longer supported.

Don't you get it? With all of your misguided rants and nasty accusations (RN bashing, etc), you are virtually ensuring the outcome you *claim* to not want. You're doing a damn good job of ensuring the future you claim to fear WILL occur, by your ranting. We're not talking about people taking pot-shots at Roland or Yamaha: their businesses are so large, a bit of Roland-Bashing here or there won't drive them under. Not the same, with smaller indepentent firms.

But is that your goal? Maybe some here are competitors, and trying to bring down a competing business enterprise? Who knows?

Bottom line: I'm seeing lots of people whining over trivial stuff here (like the scheme RN has used for the RND product line, adding an -izer suffix to the titles, or whining over the graphics: what utter BS), and acting like a bunch of piranahas excited by the smell of the blood of their victory... Shameful.

PS I'm off to start a campaign against the makers of the Fruity Loops software: an obvious play on words of the famous kiddies breakfast cereal (Fruit Loops). How dare they?!

Chris

--------------------

UnderTow

#303989 - 27/05/06 07:48 PM

Feefer, are you saying that disgruntled customers should just shutup and let this happen? No one is allowed to complain? No one can send a very loud and clear message in the hope that someone learns and does things differently next time (if there is a next time)?

The only ones to blame for all this are RND and EA. If they would have handled this differently, people might not be complaining so much.

UnderTow

Feefer

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: UnderTow]
      #304010 - 27/05/06 08:53 PM
Quote UnderTow:

Feefer, are you saying that disgruntled customers should just shutup and let this happen? No one is allowed to complain? No one can send a very loud and clear message in the hope that someone learns and does things differently next time (if there is a next time)?

The only ones to blame for all this are RND and EA. If they would have handled this differently, people might not be complaining so much.

UnderTow

Eh, did you even consider the more commonly-accepted practice of voicing your concerns PRIVATELY via phone or e-mail directly to EA/RND? There's a novel concept.

Some of you are so primed to reach for the protest signs and public rants you forget to use common sense. Many were ranting on forums within MINUTES of seeing something you didn't approve of. Basically hovering like vultures, looking for ANYTHING, SOMETHING, that made you feel justified in jumping to conclusions and ranting.

I'd be surprised if EA/RND represents the efforts of more than a few individuals. Doesn't take much to derail all of their efforts, so I hope the mob here and elsewhere is quite proud of themselves for the mob mentality.

The only hope for sustainable cash flow is that some potential buyers don't scour forums for user opinions before buying, but a shockingly large numbers of potential buyers DO. Good job running them off, guys. Self-fulfilling prophecy, if it does transpire. You guys have already succeeded in jeopardizing the whole EA/RND endeavor by placing such a heavy parasitic load on an already-sickened and diseased organism.

You don't need an MBA to understand this equation:

Questionable business decisions + idiot customers = all parties get what they deserve...

Chris

--------------------

UnderTow

#304021 - 27/05/06 09:19 PM
No Feefer, you don't get it. RND/EA can fix all this quite easily: Drop the juvenile names, adjust the prices, drop the 80s brushed aliminium look etc.

If they did do that, there would be many posts praising the fact that these companies listen to their customers and take their suggestions and complaints into account.

Anyone doing reasearch about the plugins would see that RND/EA blundered but rectified their mistakes in light of the public reaction. This should give people alot of reassurance that these companies won't stray too far in the future. At least not for too long.

Stop blaming the messengers. Blame the people that caused the problems in the first place. Or maybe you work for RND or EA?

UnderTow

James Lehmann

#304022 - 27/05/06 09:21 PM
Quote Feefer:

I'd be surprised if EA/RND represents the efforts of more than a few individuals. Doesn't take much to derail all of their efforts, so I hope the mob here and elsewhere is quite proud of themselves for the mob mentality.

LOL!

RND/EA don't need our help to "derail all of their efforts" - they've proved quite capable of pressing the self-destruct button all by themselves!

Predictably enough "Feefer", you have avoided answering a single one of the direct questions in my last post and opted to side-track yet again by railing against something of much lesser concern, ie the will of us customers (or "idiot customers" as you so generously label us) to criticise a poorly managed business. If you truly think the crux of this issue (and much of real life in a Democracy in fact) boils down to "We know the status quo is wrong but we won't speak out for fear of it getting worse" then you are either sadly naive or a few clowns short of a circus.

* User requested

#304031 - 27/05/06 09:45 PM
Blimey.

Feefer does like the sound of his own voice.

Feefer

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: UnderTow]
      #304051 - 27/05/06 10:36 PM
Quote UnderTow:

No Feefer, you don't get it. RND/EA can fix all this quite easily: Drop the juvenile names, adjust the prices, drop the 80s brushed aliminium look etc.

If they did do that, there would be many posts praising the fact that these companies listen to their customers and take their suggestions and complaints into account.

And what names would you suggest? If you want to do marketing, change the product's appearance, and set prices properly, why don't YOU buy the company? Ha, cuz then there'd be some dimwit on some forum trying to second guess YOUR decision....

As far as adjusting prices, did you fail to notice that RND/EA actually DROPPED the price by $100, and what happened as a result? You peanut gallery dim-wits BLASTED them for "listening to customer complaints and responding to them". All anyone here could manage was to rant about how the price adjustment was further proof that the company was being improperly managed. Damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

@@@

Fortunately, I think it's pretty clear by now who the Molotov Cocktail-throwing Bolsheviks are, with their proletariat views and Walter Mitty delusions of grandeur. To modify and update another phrase from the early 1970's, "Keep On Rantin'."

PS interesting choice of handles, "Undertow". How Freudian, in light of your perennial harping and bulldog grip on the perceived weaknesses of RND/EA, trying to pull them under....

Chris

--------------------

Feefer

#304062 - 27/05/06 11:01 PM
Quote James Lehmann:

Predictably enough "Feefer", you have avoided answering a single one of the direct questions *snippity-snip*

Don't be a dolt. You want me to answer your question about what would happen with future updates, etc? Why would you ask ME (or anyone else on this forum, for that matter) a question on EA/RND policy that can ONLY be answered by EA/RND?

Did you miss where I suggested you contact EA/RND privately (phone call or e-mail) with your questions? That WAS my response.

@@@@

As an aside, I was surprised to learn Sir Simon Cowell's claim to fame is as an A & R exec for BMG, and his producing credits include recording wrestlers from the Worldwide Wrestling Federation, as well as the Power Rangers, the Teletubbies, as well as some I've never heard of (Zig and Zag, Robson & Jerome).

Wow.... Do they give Grammys to A & R guys, and did he get a Grammy for any of those? You guys must be so proud...

Chris

Ian Stewart

#304065 - 27/05/06 11:08 PM
Feefer - you seem to be saying that EAS and RND are not to be criticised, and if you don't like them buy the company and do what you want to do. Do you never criticise any companies?
If anyone criticises those two companies they are accused of being communists, that is so cold war. You have also introduced an American British antagonism here which is your problem not ours.
You seem to think a 400% price hike is just fine, so when you go and get some coffee and its over four times the price it was the day before no doubt you would say "thats fine, if I have a problem I'll just buy the cafe"

As you have started analysing people's forum names did you know your forum name is a slang word for a girls genitalia, says it all really.

Gelled_Fringe

#304066 - 27/05/06 11:09 PM
"Sally? Give Feefer a raise, put him on 25 cents a week. No wait make that 20 cents. No 25!!! And get him to change his name to THE FEEFENIZER!!! MORE CAWFFEEE!!!! Anyways he's rilly doin a bitchin job over in limeyland! He's makin them look like the asshats they are, and he doesn't need my help, which is 'all good' because I'm off to play 18 holes! Hold my calls!!!"

Steve Hill

#304077 - 27/05/06 11:39 PM
You miss the point Feefer. We want to bring this company down in flames. To quote one of your compatriots, the then chairman of Eastern Airlines (at the time the biggest bankruptcy in the world, ever), "Capitalism without bankruptcy is like Christianity without hell".

You may choose to call it a feeding frenzy. I call it a wholly reasonable consumer protest to being treated by (wannabe) "big corporates" who are not actually even very good at it. In fact they are pathetic at it. They deserve to fail. The market - that's us - recognise that fact. You want to save them, go and buy up all their stock of product at inflated prices.

You may not be aware of the Gerald Ratner precedent - alluded to some days ago - on your side of the pond. He was this country's largest jewellery manufacturer and retailer - thousands of shops, he controlled the market - till he famously "jokingly" compared his own product's longevity to a prawn sandwich at the annual convention of the Confederation of British Industry.

The rest is history, along with Ratner and his company. From national treasure to national laughing stock in 12 seconds; he never came back, despite several attempts.

Simon Cowell is worth $100 million, you are not. One of you must be getting something right.

--------------------

UnderTow

#304107 - 28/05/06 02:03 AM
Quote Feefer:

And what names would you suggest?

If I bought a company that had tripple digit annual growth and successfull products, I wouldn't be in much of a hurry to change the names of the products. Even if they had come up with brilliant new names, which they obviously didn't, changing from the old ones would always be a gamble. Why break something that is working perfectly well? This change alone tells me that RND arn't very astute business people.

The rest of your post isn't worth responding to.

UnderTow

Feefer

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Ian Stewart]
      #304112 - 28/05/06 02:20 AM
Quote noiseconjecture:

Feefer - you seem to be saying that EAS and RND are not to be criticised, and if you don't like them buy the company and do what you want to do. Do you never criticise any companies?

I moderate/admin a music-related user forum, and am always amazed how some people will instantly blast a manufacturer when they encounter a problem, WHEN the "problem" clearly stems from their inability to use the product after failing to read the manual! Now that doesn't stop them from posting attacks when they'd be wiser to either:

1) ask a question seeking tech help from fellow users, or,

2) contact the company for tech support.

In this case, someone wants to know specifics of what EA/RND meant by their policy announcement, and I pointed out the BEST approach is to ask EA/RND, since clarification of policy should come from the horse's mouth, and not some forum poster's arse.

If you feel the response is not up to your liking, then criticize all you want; but realize you do so at the risk of coming off as a constant whiner/ranter, undermining your own credibility. Methinks some here doth protest too much, with the griping about graphics, the names, etc. Some seem to be ranting for the sake of ranting, with some hidden (or not so hidden) agenda. Maybe some are trying to keep the post active, at the top of the list, trying to maximize the impact of the "bomb" and damage for RND. Who knows...

Quote noiseconjecture:

You seem to think a 400% price hike is just fine, so when you go and get some coffee and its over four times the price it was the day before no doubt you would say "thats fine, if I have a problem I'll just buy the cafe"

Hey, Man, I'm all about the power of a free market: if consumers decide the price is too high, they won't buy, and the business will have to respond (I liked that quote about capitalism posted above. The freedom of capitalism is the freedom to not only succeed, but the freedom to fail).

Just as long as people don't start playing dirty pool, i.e. competitors who might be trying to take EA/RND down by posting under false ID's, etc. I have no proof it's happened, but I've seen similar attempts to sway opinion (and sales) by some for the purpose of making a sale.

Quote noiseconjecture:

As you have started analysing people's forum names did you know your forum name is a slang word for a girls genitalia, says it all really.

And how do you know I'm NOT a girl?

You Brits have a colorful collection of slang, don't you (we've covered the "bloody" thing already, but I remember a bunch of ladies in the audience tittering whenever we announced that one of the guys in the band was named Randy. We had to start announcing him as Randall).

Chris

Feefer

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Steve Hill]
      #304113 - 28/05/06 02:47 AM
Quote Steve Hill:

You miss the point Feefer. We want to bring this company down in flames. To quote one of your compatriots, the then chairman of Eastern Airlines (at the time the biggest bankruptcy in the world, ever), "Capitalism without bankruptcy is like Christianity without hell".

You may choose to call it a feeding frenzy. I call it a wholly reasonable consumer protest to being treated by (wannabe) "big corporates" who are not actually even very good at it. In fact they are pathetic at it. They deserve to fail. The market - that's us - recognise that fact. You want to save them, go and buy up all their stock of product at inflated prices.

Well, thanks for admitting what your TRUE motives are (you want EA/RND to fail). That's what I suspected.

Being familiar with defamation law, I'd suggest you be VERY CAREFUL as to what you say about EA/RND at this point (and you might even consider making a public apology for comments you've made about RN and EA that are intended to cause damage to their professional reputation). Some of your comments could be interpreted as being quite libelous in nature.

And while your defense might center on the status of these companies/individuals as "public figures", realize that would be a foolish defense, indeed: case law has shown that libel for purposes of interfering with a public figure's business interests is a dangerous strategy.

Furthermore, admitting your motive (like you just did) helps demonstrate malice, which places you in a tight spot, indeed. Better to stick to facts from here out, i.e. that which you can prove to be a fact. Seriously, EA/RND could sue the pants off some of you right now, with a very strong case to show actual damages...

I know people think the Internet is the Wild West, where anyone can post negative comments about anyone they like without consequences, but it's not the reality (familize yourself with recent case law pertaining to the internet, if you don't believe me). The time to learn otherwise is not when you're in court, forced to defend your words.

Chris

Tim.

Loc: Not here
      #304115 - 28/05/06 04:03 AM
Such a load of blatant twaddle can only be trolling so:

--------------------
Studio: www.kymatasound.com

Lars Farm

Loc: Sundsvall, Sweden
      #304126 - 28/05/06 07:14 AM
Quote Feefer:

And what names would you suggest? If you want to do marketing, change the product's appearance, and set prices properly, why don't YOU buy the company?

Since the Elemental appearance of both company and products is what attracted this paying customer I'd find no urgent need to dumb it down or change appearance at all.

best regards
Lars

ChrisCarter

Loc: In the studio or on the road.....
      #304130 - 28/05/06 07:37 AM
Feefer, I think you are unfairly putting all the blame for the current EA/RND woeful situation and negative public response solely down to this SOS thread. There are at least three other threads on different forums that I know of (probably more), with KVR being even more vociferous than this one (although tamer by usual KVR bear-pit standards).
I first heard about the EA/RND story from a couple of emails and then saw it posted over at OSXAudio and KVR. So I started this thread because I know a lot of people here use these plugins and they would be interested in such an alarming development. If I hadn't started it here I'm 100% certain someone else would have.
But if you're suggesting that should the EA/RND partnership sink due to lack of sales (or whatever) it will be down to the response of SOS readers and posters you are seriously overestimating the power of this forum. As I've said before: this absurd, unfolding soap opera is generating a lot of interest and NOT just amongst SOS readers.
Long live freedom of information and freedom of expression.

--------------------
Web Site | Twitter | iTunes

James Lehmann

#304160 - 28/05/06 09:09 AM
Quote Feefer:

I... am always amazed how some people will instantly blast a manufacturer when they encounter a problem, WHEN the "problem" clearly stems from their inability to use the product after failing to read the manual!

You are so far off-topic with this statement in the context of this thread that it shows beyond question that you are either not actually reading people's well-considered replies to you or you are simply choosing not to hear them. It would also appear that your jumbled views on this subject place you firmly in a class of one. Anyway, continuing to reply to your tangential posts, when there are still so many more important unresolved issues surrounding this topic is an exercise in futility, so...

*** You are ignoring this user ***

Sonicus

#304167 - 28/05/06 09:22 AM
Ok. My final post on this thread.

Feefer you have now become absurd.

I know this thread contains a lot of 'Bunkum and Balderdash'

But it also contains a lot of heartfelt, reasoned and intelligent coment and observation.

You are on a lone mission to continue your own 'indulgent' rant with what has blatently become a truly 'pointless' endeavour.

You sound like an idiot passing comment with no 'real' interest in the argument - but to 'enlighten us all with your 'view' on the scenario.

And Feefer that is all that it is 'your view'

Please, please please, recognise you are just Pissin' in the wind on this thread now. Give it up - or find a forum of like minded RND supporters and engage with them.

You have really become very irritating and you have demonstrated how acutely, insensitive and annoying you really are.

Goodbye to this thread from me.

Perhaps you should do the same?

Steve Hill

#304172 - 28/05/06 09:41 AM

Thanks for the legal advice. My day job is lawyer, I've told you this before. Your suppositions about my "true" motives are neither correct nor relevant. "Fair comment" is a defence to a defamation suit, as is factual accuracy. Based on your own - ahem - "expert" legal analysis, any theatre or restaurant critic would be liable to legal action.

I've said I want "this" company to fail (meaning RND) which you have immediately supposed to mean I want two companies to fail (EA and RND). Why are you making this stuff up?

You say we should phone them up and "the BEST approach is to ask EA/RND, since clarification of policy should come from the horse's mouth, and not some forum poster's arse"

Why? For 3 days neither company bothered to communicate with clients at all. They just did it, including the (then) 400% price hike. Eventually EA (but not RND) put up a FAQ page, which did not mention any of the most frequently asked questions, namely:-

(a) why the price hike?
(b) why are you getting in bed with RND rather than anybody with a serious track record in global distribution and marketing?
(c)why trash your goodwill and reputation by changing the brand names, which have built up a loyal following?
(d) most puzzling of all, why trash your goodwill and reputation by treating your past and future clients with utter contempt, and CONTINUING TO DO SO once you know exactly how they feel?

RND then put up a single post on his own website saying (in short) that since he intended to further develop the software, at some indeterminate point in the future, everything was justified.

Why, against that background, do you think I would waste my time contacting either EA or RND to ask for further "clarification" of the indefensible?

And how (since 90% of the EA website has been taken down including all contact and corporate details) do you suggest I contact EA in any event?

The best outcome, from a consumer point of view, would be for RND to go bust so EA can unwind the deal and distribute their software through someone with a respectable track record in the field such as Arbiter or Audio Agency Europe etc etc. It is not irrational (or illegal) to wish for that outcome.

That is making the charitable assumption that EA were so badly advised - or possibly unadvised - that they do not have unilateral recourse to unwind the deal now because RND are demonstrably in breach of an obligation to use best efforts to safeguard EA's goodwill/brand and promote the product in all markets - a basic boilerplate clause which any lawyer would write into a plain vanilla distribution agreement.

--------------------

Edited by Steve Hill (28/05/06 09:43 AM)

Gelled_Fringe

#304237 - 28/05/06 01:34 PM
BITCHIN post Steve! Looks like the Feefenizer just got ANALIZED

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 104 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ****
Thread views: 93293

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media