Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
__
Who's never been here

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: ChrisCarter]
      #304248 - 28/05/06 02:24 PM
Who can remember profiteering laws. Looks like a 400% price hike can only mean one thing. Our hero doesnt care about existing customers. So the actions are having the desired effect. What the owners want is to get a load of new dick head, more money than sense customers sitting in their rediculously equipped home hobby studios, who will believe that the owners pedigree will somehow give them that magic sheen that everone has wet dreams over, that you can only really get from really expensive outboard that people don't want to have the room for because it clashes with the redisculously expensive studio/study decor. Perhaps theres a gap in the market for boutique plug-ins and our man thinks he can fill it. Otherwise it looks like commercial suicide and this blokes obviously no fool. I'm sure this has all been said, but it's a long thread and I wanted to have a go at him too I didnt want to feel left out... Have you seen the price of Bentleys!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Doublehelix

Loc: USA
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: ChrisCarter]
      #304278 - 28/05/06 04:10 PM
I am not a fan of Mr. Nichols and dislike his SOS articles as well. I know nothing of his plugins, although his marketing strategy turns me off. It wouldn't matter how good they sound, it would take a lot of convincing for me to try them.

A lot of the comments here are a bit reactionary and emotionally tainted, but that is to be expected to an extent considering the passion we all share for what we do and what we believe in.

Feefer does have a few good points, but they are buried in his ranting and "Brit-bashing" attitude.

It is amazing how little gets communicated when you act like a twit... no matter how good your point is.

--------------------
James
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake" ~Napoleon Bonaparte~

Feefer

Loc: CA, USA
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Doublehelix]
      #304442 - 28/05/06 11:12 PM
Quote Doublehelix:

Feefer does have a few good points, but they are buried in his ranting and "Brit-bashing" attitude.

Apparently the point of my "Brit bashing" was lost on some of you (and if you want to call bringing Simon Cowell's name and credits into the discussion as "Brit Bashing", then so be it...)

Why'd I mention your boy Simon? Simply because there is a fair amount of anti-American sentiment being expressed in the name of taking a shot at RN, and the insulting nature of such should be fairly obvious now to anyone who was so blinded by their nationalistic POV to see it. See how bitchy some of you got over that?

Others had pointed out about the difficulties of knowing the meaning of words used 20 years ago and 5,000 miles away, and the danger of drawing hasty conclusions about intended meaning when in fact those assumptions were outright wrong If it's not clear by now, Bitch, bitching, and bitchen are not synonyms.)

Don't try to make this more complicated than it is: some losers here are quite willing to distort reality and create lies to destroy EA/RND, and should be ashamed of themselves. Really, now. Tsk, tsk, tsk...

Chris

PS someone made a jab about the last time RN won a Grammy or worked with Steely Dan, somehow trying to suggest he's a pensioner who techniques have become passe. Steely Dan "Everything Must Go " (Warner Bros, Feb 2003). Not sure if RN was involved in Donald Fagan's latest, "Morph the Cat", or if he's involved with Walter Becker's latest solo recording (still in the can).

RN has got an interesting bio (from his website), with a Bachelor's degree in Nuclear Engineering:

Roger Nichols been involved in digital audio since 1977. Roger designed and built WENDELjr, a high fidelity digital audio percussion replacement device used by many major artists including Pink Floyd, Heart, Paul Simon, and by sound companies like Clair Bros. in the production of their albums and live shows. Roger has lectured on digital audio in Buenos Aires, Hong Kong and Singapore as well as at NARAS and AES conventions around the U.S.

Roger has been recording since 1962, and professionally involved in the music business on a full time basis since leaving the Nuclear industry in 1968 (Roger has a B.S. in Nuclear Engineering). Roger's engineering career included two years at Quantum Recording Studios, five years at ABC Records, three years at Warner Bros. Records as a staff recording/ mixing engineer, and as an independant engineer/ producer since 1978. Roger has written articles pertaining to digital audio since 1981 and has a current column in EQ magazine.

--------------------
1.5GHz Al 17" Powerbook G4 (2.0GB RAM, Hitachi 60GB 7,200 rpm drive), running Logic Pro 7 under OSX 10.4.5

Feefer

Loc: CA, USA
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Steve Hill]
      #304451 - 29/05/06 12:10 AM
Quote Steve Hill:

Thanks for the legal advice. My day job is lawyer, I've told you this before. Your suppositions about my "true" motives are neither correct nor relevant.

No need to "suppose" your motives: you voiced them yourself quite well, for all to see.

Quote Steve Hill:

"Fair comment" is a defence to a defamation suit, as is factual accuracy. Based on your own - ahem - "expert" legal analysis, any theatre or restaurant critic would be liable to legal action.

If you actually ARE a lawyer, let's hope your knowledge of the field you practice is greater than your over-simplistic statements related to defamation law.

A 'fair comment' defense offers a barrier that anyone familiar with even the basics of libel law would know how to penetrate. As stated, demonstrating "actual malice" significantly erodes such a defense.

(Similarly, many laypersons believe 'truth' is the ultimate defense that protects a defendent in a DOC suit: generally true, but some jurisdictions use different standards. There's case law which has shown that relying on a "truth" defense is a foolish assumption, too, when making malicious comments intended to cause harm...)

So maybe better to be cautious, as Commonwealth jurisdictions respect the concept that every publication of libel can give rise to separate claims; a defamation suit can theoretically arise in ANY and EVERY country in which a comment is "published".

So unless some of you are very familiar with international libel law (a burgeoning area of law, thanks to the internet), and/or are willing to learn more about it when called to the stand to defend yourself outside your jurisdiction, I'd be back-pedalling if I were some of you.

PS while music is fun, it don't pay the bills (hint, hint).

Chris

--------------------
1.5GHz Al 17" Powerbook G4 (2.0GB RAM, Hitachi 60GB 7,200 rpm drive), running Logic Pro 7 under OSX 10.4.5

Ian Stewart

#304452 - 29/05/06 12:15 AM
Feefer, do you ever check you posts before you submit them? Not only have you missed the main points but you have a thing about that venomous humunculous who now appears on television on your side of the Atlantic.
You also seem to take a view that if you're British you shouldn't criticise RND. Your main argument seems to be that if RN does it, it is right and beyond criticism. Btw, If you ever get bored with this thread there's one on Waves - I'm sure they would love you as their apologist aswell. Anyway I'm off to bed now, look forward to reading another interminable rant from you in the morning.
However I'm sure RND will appreciate you extensive philological research into his plug-in names. Out of interest most people in Britain speak mid-Atlantic now anyway. But we don't use bitchin', its so 70s.

Steve Hill

Loc: Oxfordshire
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Feefer]
      #304487 - 29/05/06 08:08 AM
It's funny how a bunch of know-nothing, ignorant, defamatory, xenophobic Brits should care so much about the demise of a US product they know/knew and love/loved.

Possibly because they have a point.

Feefer, welcome to my ignore list, so don't bother with any more contrived personal insults, they won't be read. Frankly I'm surprised the mods have not taken more radical action with a view to putting you on everybody's ignore lists on a permanent basis, such is the value of your - er - contribution of late. But that's for them to decide. Bye.

--------------------
Dynamite with a laser beam...

gerard

Loc: London, UK
      #304493 - 29/05/06 08:25 AM

blah blah ba blah blah bladdy blah...

yawn....

-=sigh=-

at least the roy thomas baker / darkness thread was funny...

Gelled_Fringe

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: gerard]
      #304547 - 29/05/06 11:08 AM
Quote gerard:

yawn....

-=sigh=-

whats it like up there on your high horse?

cc.
getting into my stride

Loc: lisbon at the moment
      #304555 - 29/05/06 11:30 AM

I'm depressed: I switched from Waves to EA because of EA's enlightend views on copy protection.

--------------------
Midipicks - the all new MIDI Guitar forum...

Doublehelix

#304577 - 29/05/06 12:25 PM
First off Fifer, I am from the States as well...

Comments like this:

Quote:

Why'd I mention your boy Simon?

Are so condescending and immature, I cannot believe you have the nerve to type it. What are you, all of 15? Well if not, you act like it. What that has to do with the whole thread at hand escapes me, although you have explained your reasoning, I think it is seriously flawed.

From one Yank to another... Bow out and find another cause (hopefully on another forum so we won't have to watch it happen).

--------------------
James

SecretSam

Loc: Officially, I do not exist.
      #304648 - 29/05/06 03:02 PM
What I really like about this set of flame wars is that the thread keeps being bumped up to the top of the list. Which might encourage RND to put right what they have broken before another 3468 people see it.

--------------------
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
      #304957 - 30/05/06 11:06 AM
I had not noticed the ingnore function - I just use the scroll function on any long post with millions of quotes, and the tedious ping-pong flames.

I have been away gigging, it's been mostly tedious reading apart from Max's "and the MRT point is?..." comment, which made me titter

It matters not a jot the percentage increase of the prices. What matters is are these plugs worth the money? If they are as good as we are told, then they may be (look at Waves and their vast prices) priced correctly for the market.

I will be looking at some plugs in a while, including these Elemental plugs. If they do a decent demo (as T-Racks do) and I like them, I will do some head-scratching, and I may well decide to buy.

I will of course wait a couple of months for the dust to settle first!

G

--------------------
Facebok Page for acoustic music PA-ing in smaller venues

gerard

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Gelled_Fringe]
      #306231 - 01/06/06 07:45 PM
Quote Gelled_Fringe:

Quote gerard:

yawn....

-=sigh=-

whats it like up there on your high horse?

ever seen someone on mount everest?

its like that...

lack of oxygen...

you know the drill...

it makes my voice sound funny too....

its tough being me...

-=cue violins=-

Ian Stewart

#306260 - 01/06/06 08:30 PM
Glad this thread is back - don't want RND to get off too soon.

gerard

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Ian Stewart]
      #306263 - 01/06/06 08:41 PM
Quote noiseconjecture:

Glad this thread is back - don't want RND to get off too soon.

-=chuckle=-

oh crap, can i get sued for laughing?

har har....

kubrick2001

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: C_T]
      #306721 - 03/06/06 07:04 AM
update: i just received an email from RND mailing list.

Great news, the free inspector plugin will be back available. Second great news, they use back the original EA names.

Quote:

two more Roger Nichols Plug-Ins are set to be released by 06/05.2006.

INSPECTOR is a free download Analysis Tool Plug-In for RTAS, AU and VST on
Mac and Windows platforms.

FINIS is PeaK Limiter Plug-In or RTAS, AU and VST on Mac and Windows platforms.
Its suggested retailprice is $ 249.00

We attached pdf files with detailed information on these new products.

They will be availalbe on our website http://www.rogernichols.com by Monday June 5, 2006

Gelled_Fringe

#306781 - 03/06/06 12:20 PM
LOL what a joke company!!

Doublehelix

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: kubrick2001]
      #306786 - 03/06/06 12:34 PM
Quote kubrick2001:

update: i just received an email from RND mailing list.

Great news, the free inspector plugin will be back available. Second great news, they use back the original EA names.

Quote:

two more Roger Nichols Plug-Ins are set to be released by 06/05.2006.

INSPECTOR is a free download Analysis Tool Plug-In for RTAS, AU and VST on
Mac and Windows platforms.

FINIS is PeaK Limiter Plug-In or RTAS, AU and VST on Mac and Windows platforms.
Its suggested retailprice is $ 249.00

We attached pdf files with detailed information on these new products.

They will be availalbe on our website http://www.rogernichols.com by Monday June 5, 2006

If that is a copy-and-paste quote, does anybody else notice a couple of typos??? It is so professional to send out a blanket emailer, and then not proof read the danged thing!

--------------------
James

Gelled_Fringe

#306875 - 03/06/06 06:01 PM
well he does have a somewhat "bitchen" approach to the engerleesh langwidge - http://roger24bit.blogspot.com/

Steve Hill

Loc: Oxfordshire
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: Gelled_Fringe]
      #306887 - 03/06/06 06:53 PM
Quote Gelled_Fringe:

well he does have a somewhat "bitchen" approach to the engerleesh langwidge - http://roger24bit.blogspot.com/

That's - er - amazing. Three whole sentences from The Man since April 2005.

But I will keep "chaking back" to the "bllogg" lest I miss something.

--------------------
Dynamite with a laser beam...

Ian Stewart

#306894 - 03/06/06 07:34 PM
I hope RN's code writing is better than his English.

tipex

#306916 - 03/06/06 09:44 PM
you know who'd really enjoy this thread? Donald Fagen and Walter Becker - I wonder if we can alert them somehow?

Ian Stewart

Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: tipex]
      #306931 - 03/06/06 11:30 PM
Quote tipex:

you know who'd really enjoy this thread? Donald Fagen and Walter Becker - I wonder if we can alert them somehow?

You call me a fool
You say its a crazy scheme
This ones for real
I already bought the dream
So useless to ask me why
Throw some insults and say goodbye
Ill make it this time
Im ready to cross that fine line

Just bought a software firm
Ill do just what I feel
Change the names and dumb them down
Make the costs unreal
They got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name cos we're gonna loose
They call Alabama the crimson tide
Call us callous fools

OmarHash

Loc: West Vancouver, British Columb...
      #306953 - 04/06/06 01:58 AM
^ ROFLMAO

--------------------
Adopt kids, not styles!!!!!

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
Re: Elemental Audio plugins no more - sold to Roger Nichols Inc! new [Re: OmarHash]
      #307000 - 04/06/06 09:26 AM
Quote OmarHash:

^ ROFLMAO

Quite.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ****
Thread views: 106486

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media