Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
N.icholas

Loc: London
Re: The Zoom H4 is the Swiss Army knife of recording equipment new [Re: Richard Graham]
      #394087 - 15/12/06 03:46 PM
I emailed zoom re the problems reported

"Hi,

I am interested in buying one of your H4 recorders, however I would be grateful if you could give me an update on a couple of problems I understand are apparent with the current release:

1. When recording with the internal batteries there are noise problems on the recording which I understand is caused by the analogue circuit board layout to which the battery does not apply enough load charge. This is not apparent with the external adaptor.

2. There is a problem with some MP3 recordings ( software fix)

The first problem is of most concern.

Could you advise me if this problem is being fixed in new releases and if so when will these be availbale in Uk shops and also how I would identify that a model is one with the revised circuitry,

thanks for your help"

and got this reply

"Dear Sir,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately, the first problem cannot be solved by firmware updates.
Also, we do not have a plan to change the analogue circuit design at
this
time.

With regard to the second problem, we plan to release a software
updates.
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/news/news150/index.php
However, we have figured out the following problem on the current
system
updater;
If an error occur during the version up process, a newer system is
installed
incompletely.
In this case, the H4 won't start up again.
So, we are preparing a new system updater fixing this problem.
It will be released on our website about the middle part of January.
We are really sorry for the delay, but please be kind to understand.

Sincerely yours,
ZOOM Corporation."

I think its great they got back to me and are honest - won't be buying one yet!

--------------------
Nick

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Rob C

Re: The Zoom H4 is the Swiss Army knife of recording equipment new [Re: N.icholas]
      #394098 - 15/12/06 03:59 PM
Quote N.icholas:

However, we have figured out the following problem on the current
system
updater;
If an error occur during the version up process, a newer system is
installed
incompletely.
In this case, the H4 won't start up again.
So, we are preparing a new system updater fixing this problem.

I didn't have any problem... and it does warn about that, but obviously you need to update using mains power and banish all pets and children from the room. It runs fairly quickly so you don't need to tiptoe about.

--------------------
www.bemuso.com

N.icholas

Re: The Zoom H4 is the Swiss Army knife of recording equipment new [Re: Rob C]
      #394107 - 15/12/06 04:12 PM
I don't think they said it will necessarily happen

"If an error occur ....... the H4 won't start up again."

--------------------
Nick

crofter

Loc: Weardale,North Pennines
Re: The Zoom H4 is the Swiss Army knife of recording equipment new [Re: Richard Graham]
      #394109 - 15/12/06 04:12 PM
I didn't have any problems with the update and I did it on batteries, I down loaded it from the Japanese site before it even appeared on the English one

Rob C

Re: The Zoom H4 is the Swiss Army knife of recording equipment new [Re: crofter]
      #394113 - 15/12/06 04:19 PM
Belt and braces, that's me... no trousers, just belt and braces.

--------------------
www.bemuso.com

N.icholas

Re: The Zoom H4 is the Swiss Army knife of recording equipment new [Re: N.icholas]
      #394122 - 15/12/06 04:26 PM
It is this part of the reply that is of most concern

Quote N.icholas:

we do not have a plan to change the analogue circuit design at this time.

But I'm sure they will get round to it - possibly with a new model in the future!

--------------------
Nick

Tor

Loc: NO
      #394147 - 15/12/06 05:11 PM
I broke down and ordered one, beep or no beep!

JosephR

Re: The Zoom H4 is the Swiss Army knife of recording equipment new [Re: Tor]
      #394251 - 15/12/06 09:02 PM
Quote:

I broke down and ordered one, beep or no beep!

Just got mine today, so long as the beeping isn't a problem at 24/96, i can live with it.

grahawk

Loc: Berkshire
      #394353 - 16/12/06 09:27 AM
Over on the Zoom Recorders Forum http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/index.php people are making external battery units which seems to be solving the beeping problem.
http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=7221

Phillip

Loc: Washago, Ontario
      #396208 - 20/12/06 02:49 PM
Quote Tor:

It would be very interesting if somebody who owns the device tried Lithium AA batteries, which are supposed to be able to sustain higher drain.

I've tried Lithiums and also a new battery type called Panasonic Oxyride, but the dreaded beep tone is still there.

Tor

Re: The Zoom H4 is the Swiss Army knife of recording equipment new [Re: Phillip]
      #396434 - 21/12/06 10:44 AM
Ah, thanks for the report. I got my unit yesterday but I haven't tested for the beep tone yet. Anyway, as long as there are workarounds..

I found another "problem" but I'm not sure I can blame the H4.. the first thing I did to test it was to set it in stereo mic recording mode and do some acoustic guitar fingerpicking, then listen to the playback through headphones. The sound quality was great, but I could hear some not very nice clicking and thumping noises in the mix. It turns out that when I'm playing I sometimes accidentally hit the soundboard with a finger, and there's other noisy stuff in there too. I had no ida! My technique sucks majorly and I didn't know until I tried recording myself, I've never done that before. Argh..!

Phillip

#396482 - 21/12/06 12:58 PM
Quote Tor:

I could hear some not very nice clicking and thumping noises in the mix.

Are you talking about the dreaded thumping noise?!

Pat

#396504 - 21/12/06 01:39 PM
Hi dudes - slightly OT, but nevertheless...

@ H4 owners...

I bought one of these usints last night, and it seems to do what it says on the tin, working fine etc. I'm generally pretty happy with it as a purchase (I bought it to do some basic 4 track recording elsewhwere for when my girlfreind is using the living room of our 1 bed flat to watch telly/read/do anything that can be disturbed by noise or makes noise (i.e. basicly all the time.... ), meaning I cant use my main set up)

So anyway, it works nicely, has good sound quality for my purposes, and the added bonus of 24/96 if I need it (which is why I chose it over the cheaper boss micro BR).

The only thing bugging me is that most of the buttons give a reassuring "click" when you press them, apart from the record button (which works fine apart from this)

I thought about this, and reasoned that maybe the click woul introduce mechanical noise or something... I dunno - So here is the question for H4 owners -

Do your record buttons "click"?

Ta

Pat

Tor

Re: The Zoom H4 is the Swiss Army knife of recording equipment new [Re: Phillip]
      #396518 - 21/12/06 02:27 PM
Quote Phillip:

Nah, this was simply produced by bad right-hand technique on my side.. when fingerpicking my right-hand fingertips sometimes knock the soundboard and it was very easy to hear in the recording.. but I was completely unaware of my sloppiness until I listened to the recording! So this thumping noise isn't the H4-generated one (which I haven't heard so far, but I haven't done any "silent" recordings yet). My impression of the H4 itself is very good so far.

Tor

Re: The Zoom H4 is the Swiss Army knife of recording equipment new [Re: Pat]
      #396522 - 21/12/06 02:29 PM
Quote Pat:

Do your record buttons "click"?

No.

Phillip

#396548 - 21/12/06 03:16 PM
Quote Tor:

Quote Phillip:

Nah, this was simply produced by bad right-hand technique on my side.. when fingerpicking my right-hand fingertips sometimes knock the soundboard and it was very easy to hear in the recording.. but I was completely unaware of my sloppiness until I listened to the recording! So this thumping noise isn't the H4-generated one (which I haven't heard so far, but I haven't done any "silent" recordings yet). My impression of the H4 itself is very good so far.

Just kidding. The only dreaded thumping noise I know of is the one the rabbit inside the battery makes.

Ay Carumba!

#400805 - 04/01/07 07:41 PM
I just thought I would chip in for those still sitting on the fence. After much deliberation, rooting through forums and reviews and listening to audio samples I went out and bought one on Saturday.

I have to say this is likely to become my most-used piece of equipment bar the Mac and have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the onboard mics. Ok, the self-noise isn't the lowest of the low and it is kind of plasticky but this device has so many applications and if you're careful with placement and levels it's really no problem at all.

I keep mine firmly attached to a mini tripod (came off a Digital Camera magazine cover) and have achieved a very nice test piano recording just by standing it on the very edge of the closed lid, pointing down at the hammers - I would rig it properly for a serious recording as it was picking up the release of the dampers too much in that position but the quality and tone were great. Got a very workable sound on drums too and of course it is permanently attached to me as I scour the house and outdoors for new sound effects.

Haven't done anything quiet enough for the beeping 'beeping' to bother me yet but I still wouldn't regret this purchase. I don't really even have any need for the 4-track and guitar features but they're there if I ever do and it might even save some room in my gig bag when I need an audio interface for my laptop.

Got mine with a 2Gb card for £225. This is the bargain of the decade for me.

Colin

Alex A

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: The Zoom H4 is the Swiss Army knife of recording equipment new [Re: Ay Carumba!]
      #452573 - 26/04/07 04:59 PM
We all know a H4 Mk2 must be on the way eventually and I will be very happy to snap one up.

All of you Mk1 purchasers - thanks for road testing and beta testing the product for me! How a recording device with such an obvious design flaw can be put into mass production is beyond me!

To be honest, the H4 could cost £100 or £400 and I would still consider the noise unacceptable either way - I have worked in the electronics business and effective QC should deal with this problem.

The solutions - eating up card space with 24/96 recordings on a £200 recorder (*definitely* overkill with the internal mic) or buying an external battery pack for a PORTABLE recorder that is already much bigger than the Boss Micro BR seem like outrageous solutions.

You "pro-Zoom H4 even with the flaw" guys should all write reviews for SOS. The reviewer missed this flaw but how SOS to notice the flaw and then say "Well, for the price, what do you expect?"

The price of the components has nothing to do with this. They could have built the device for the SAME money without the flaw. So accepting it "for the price" is just LAME.

Faulty electronics products make me really angry!

Alex

crofter

Loc: Weardale,North Pennines
Re: The Zoom H4 is the Swiss Army knife of recording equipment new [Re: Alex A]
      #452781 - 27/04/07 06:59 AM
Quote Alex A:

We all know a H4 Mk2 must be on the way eventually and I will be very happy to snap one up.

All of you Mk1 purchasers - thanks for road testing and beta testing the product for me! How a recording device with such an obvious design flaw can be put into mass production is beyond me!

To be honest, the H4 could cost £100 or £400 and I would still consider the noise unacceptable either way - I have worked in the electronics business and effective QC should deal with this problem.

The solutions - eating up card space with 24/96 recordings on a £200 recorder (*definitely* overkill with the internal mic) or buying an external battery pack for a PORTABLE recorder that is already much bigger than the Boss Micro BR seem like outrageous solutions.

You "pro-Zoom H4 even with the flaw" guys should all write reviews for SOS. The reviewer missed this flaw but how SOS to notice the flaw and then say "Well, for the price, what do you expect?"

The price of the components has nothing to do with this. They could have built the device for the SAME money without the flaw. So accepting it "for the price" is just LAME.

Faulty electronics products make me really angry!

Alex

Well, while you've been sitting around waiting for perfection,(it'll be a long wait), we've all been out making some great recordings.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ***
Thread views: 31288

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media