Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
themajorblip

Re: Modern synths are rubbish? new [Re: SecretSam]
      #542297 - 05/11/07 11:15 PM
Quote SecretSam:

Give me a vintage monosynth and I'll swap it for a modern Nord or Virus, and buy beer and sweets with the change.

Cool-swap it with me-Ill swap you a Virus for a Minimoog/Pro One/Oscar/MonoPoly/SH2/CS40m any day of the week.

And give you some a beer and some sweets (nice combo....)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Modern synths are rubbish? new [Re: leslawrenson]
      #542359 - 06/11/07 08:03 AM
Quote leslawrenson:

the SH101 is simply superb! As good as a Mini Moog on it's day.

Ouch! Let's not have that kind of talk!

As to the other posting about the Roland SH1000...

...if the SH1000 is your sole experience of 'vintage' synths, then no wonder you have a dim opinion of them!!! The SH1000 was a very basic synth by *any* standards - it was a simple preset synth machine at the home organ market. Try something like the SH101 (or preferably a MiniMoog!), then you will see what a *real* synth sounds like!

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

leslawrenson

Loc: Outside Mothercare
Re: Modern synths are rubbish? new [Re: The Elf]
      #542419 - 06/11/07 10:23 AM
Quote The Elf:

Quote leslawrenson:

the SH101 is simply superb! As good as a Mini Moog on it's day.

Ouch! Let's not have that kind of talk!

It would be interesting to know how many commercial recordings the SH101 has been used on compared with the Mini Moog!

I never owned a Mini Moog, but my best mate, and former band member did, and we used to record with it all the time. I do own an SH101, and I use it all the time.

Yes, with 3 oscillators, the Moog is "fatter" than the SH101, but how many people really use all 3 oscs when recording their bass and lead lines? Sure, you can get the Moog to sound great on its own, but then it simply swamps the mix, and you have to pare it down.

The thing with the 101 is that you are stuck with the single oscillator, so there is little danger of swamping the mix. Therefore, you are forced to tweak the envelop and the filter to get the character in your sound, rather than merely be impressed with the raw brute power of the Moog.

As I say, on its day, the 101 really is as good as the Moog. I didn't say that it was the same.

Arpangel

Loc: London
Re: Modern synths are rubbish? new [Re: themajorblip]
      #542423 - 06/11/07 10:31 AM
Quote themajorblip:

Quote SecretSam:

Give me a vintage monosynth and I'll swap it for a modern Nord or Virus, and buy beer and sweets with the change.

Cool-swap it with me-Ill swap you a Virus for a Minimoog/Pro One/Oscar/MonoPoly/SH2/CS40m any day of the week.

And give you some a beer and some sweets (nice combo....)

This is an interesting dilemma, I've owned a lot of Moogs in the past, but would I want one now ? I don't think so, and if I did it would only be for nostalgic reasons. The Mini- Moog would sit in the corner reminding me of the days when I had to multi-track everything on noisy analogue tape to achieve what I wanted to do. OK, we all know it's got a great sound, but the current crop of high end VA's are good enough for me in my old age. The Nord, or Virus, unlike the Moog, would get used all of the time, old synth's are very nice things to own and look at, but they just don't make any sense to me now as a viable alternative to modern technology. OK, I could use a nice Moog Model 55, or a Buchla 200e, but that's another story.

Take care,

Tony.

Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
Re: Modern synths are rubbish? new [Re: Dameo]
      #542426 - 06/11/07 10:36 AM
Having tried the Voyager and Little Phatty at the show on Sunday, I'd happily own one now. I'd just multitrack it through nice digital equipment rather than noisy tape!!

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Arpangel

Re: Modern synths are rubbish? new [Re: Dave B]
      #542433 - 06/11/07 10:52 AM
It is nice listening back to my old reels of Moog experiments, done in our valve studio, but they were half formed ideas, I was struggling for a direction. It would be interesting to see what I would do now with the same technology.

Take care,

Tony.

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #542438 - 06/11/07 11:10 AM
Quote leslawrenson:

As I say, on its day, the 101 really is as good as the Moog. I didn't say that it was the same.

Quite agree. The 101 has its very own sound and is damned good at what it does. I never owned one, but I used one a heck of a lot and have respect for it's controlled basses and chunky mid-range. A much better alternative to TB-303s and the like.

I use my Mini 75% as a lead synth, but for bass it is actually too 'rounded' much of the time - I prefer my Pro-One for that role.

As you suggest, every good synth has its strengths and weaknesses - that's part of what makes them great. Synths that try to cover all bases more often end up being simply 'average' across the board.

Nope, I don't have old synths just to look at. If they didn't earn their keep I would sell them without a moment's hesitation. I have yet to work with a band that didn't fall in love with at least one of my old machines - and that keeps those bands coming through the door! It's funny - no-one books me for my Nords, Viruses, or collection of VSTis, but mention Oberheim, ARP, Sequential or Moog and they're sold.

There honestly *is* magic in those old devices and when people hear them used properly they understand. I use loads of VSTis and virtual analogues - damned good they are too. But honestly, they just do not have that *same* magic - different magic, yes, but not the same...

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Grantsos

#542551 - 06/11/07 04:01 PM
Yes the SH101 is pretty scary for a 1 osc synth IMHO. I'm a big fan of 1 osc bass sounds and this machine thumps like the big-boys.
It makes our VA's and plugs sound very pedestrian in this particular application, most of the other analogues too.

Snailzer

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
      #542587 - 06/11/07 05:35 PM
Any thoughts on Sequentials Multi-Trak...? I got one on the weekend, so far it seems nice. I have a few Korg VA's and it is well deeper than all of them, even the Z1 (which always sounded thin and samey imo).

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/dubreakdublin

marsnic

Loc: Southborough, Kent UK
Re: Modern synths are rubbish? new [Re: Snailzer]
      #542592 - 06/11/07 05:45 PM
Anything by Dave Smith. Prophets through to Wavestations (VST version is excellent), Evolvers and the rebirth of the Prophet. I use a Nord G2 for just about anything else. To answer the question, I don't use much that isn't modern and don't feel I'm missing out on anything.

leslawrenson

Re: Modern synths are rubbish? new [Re: Arpangel]
      #542615 - 06/11/07 07:16 PM
Quote arpangel:

It is nice listening back to my old reels of Moog experiments, done in our valve studio, but they were half formed ideas, I was struggling for a direction. It would be interesting to see what I would do now with the same technology.

Tony, why don't you give it another go?

It's never too late to revisit old ground, especially with a fresh approach. Perhaps you were in the wrong place (creatively-speaking) when you did those takes; and perhaps the different perspective that you now have on life, and the fresh impetus you will bring to that stuff, will be the driving force you need to finish unfinished business?

leslawrenson

Re: Modern synths are rubbish? new [Re: The Elf]
      #542618 - 06/11/07 07:27 PM
Quote The Elf:

There honestly *is* magic in those old devices and when people hear them used properly they understand. I use loads of VSTis and virtual analogues - damned good they are too. But honestly, they just do not have that *same* magic - different magic, yes, but not the same...

Agreed, 100%.

In the days before I could afford to buy my first Prophet 5 (yes, I now have two!), I bought the Pro-52 emulation, and I raved about it to everyone. "Sounds just like the real thing!" I enthused(thinking back, through a haze of time, to the days when my friend Neal Gilmore and I used to record with his Rev3.2).

Oh, how wrong I was! The memory sure can play tricks on one's perception of what "used" to be.

The very first thing that struck me when I got my P5 Rev3.2 was how absolutely unlike the Pro52 it sounded! There is a warmth and a depth of sonic quality in the real thing that is lacking from the software. Until one actually listens to the two side by side, one really cannot appreciate the gulf of difference in these sonic qualities.

Incidentally, that same friend of mine later acquired a Mini Moog, and he played lead synth with it on practically everything we did from that point on. I got quite p_ssed off with it at the time, but listening back to that old stuff, it not only sounds superb, but it really captures the spirit of that time (circa 1991).

Wizard Moon Chopper

#542622 - 06/11/07 07:41 PM
Quote leslawrenson:

Quote arpangel:

It's never too late to revisit old ground, especially with a fresh approach. Perhaps you were in the wrong place (creatively-speaking) when you did those takes; and perhaps the different perspective that you now have on life, and the fresh impetus you will bring to that stuff, will be the driving force you need to finish unfinished business?

Hmmm, i see what youre saying there, and i tend to agree-ish. I think that revisiting old ideas can be useful if you don't are doing songs for instance - an old idea can be dragged up to date and make a passable tune. But the never have the same feeling to me, never quite capture the right vibe.

I'm only guessing here, but i get the feeling that Angel is very much into creating pieces of 'art' as opposed to, well, you know what i mean. Working straight to CD in stereo is a bit of a give away there.

I love listening and watching old stuff. In fact my partner in music is the holder of a large archive of all our old work, and ive been listening and watching quite a bit lately. We plan to get cassettes to digital before they wither, and the same for videos. It's a lot of stuff but we have been making some preparations. He's doing the vids and i'm doing the tapes.

I look at those old things, particularly the less than perfect stuff, those 'half formed ideas' as a window back in time that helps me see and learn from the person i was, half formed... It's a journey that helps me understand myelf now.

Of course things get recycled and lines, even the odd phrase, a riff or something might get revisited. But then they get revisited anyway, cos they are in you/me.

I tend to vear towards letting it be. To try and revamp an old tune or piece is a bit like polishing an old Leonardo sketch with Mr Sheen...

--------------------
Yeah!

table for two

#542662 - 06/11/07 09:24 PM
Sign of the times Amigo

Too many things around us is trying to turn us into soulless presets.

himalaya

Re: Modern synths are rubbish? new [Re: table for two]
      #542699 - 06/11/07 10:38 PM
Quote table for two:

Rogue Element http://www.rogue-element.uk.com/photos.htm .... noow there's a band that keeps it real.
One of the best 70's TD clone bands.

Many thanks for the link TFT !!!
What a find.
Cheers !

--------------------
www.electric-himalaya.com
VST and hardware synth sound design

leslawrenson

#542735 - 07/11/07 12:30 AM
Table, that's a veritable vintage analogue buff's wet dream!

I'd like to have a back room behind my studio just like that.

Arpangel

#542782 - 07/11/07 09:02 AM
Quote leslawrenson:

Quote arpangel:

Hi Les, I'm sort of going down that road now, or trying to. Not re-creating old ideas, but using different technology at least. I'm putting together a Doepfer system, and want to record straight to analogue tape again, for what reason I don't really know, except that it may be interesting working that way again, as you said with a new perspective on life. We have to look for new ideas, and approaches, wherever we can, be it from inside (our inspiration) or outside (the technology)
The temptation of course, will be to dump it all in the computer and fiddle around with it, but I mustn't do that, I want to maintain the discipline of getting it right in the moment, without resorting to the computer.

Take care,

Tony.

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#542785 - 07/11/07 09:10 AM
Quote Snailzer:

Any thoughts on Sequentials Multi-Trak...? I got one on the weekend, so far it seems nice. .

Yep, had one, very nice.

You can program some great sounds out of these.
Nice filters, decent arp and I used the sequencer to program my own arps so it made it more flexible.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

leslawrenson

#542895 - 07/11/07 01:30 PM
Quote arpangel:

The temptation of course, will be to dump it all in the computer and fiddle around with it, but I mustn't do that, I want to maintain the discipline of getting it right in the moment, without resorting to the computer.

Yeah, I'd love to do that again (just like in the old days with my band). The "having to get it right first go" pressure seemed to bring out all sorts of interesting stuff. A lot of the good stuff were actually mistakes that were made whilst recording live. Also, I loved the unpredictability of using the old analogue stuff, and the whole idea that one has taken a moment from time that can never be repeated.

The trouble with working in the digital medium is that it is replicable. And with an unlimited number of "undos" and "redos" that whole dynamic has been removed from the music.

table for two

#542899 - 07/11/07 01:41 PM
Quote himalaya:

Quote table for two:

Rogue Element http://www.rogue-element.uk.com/photos.htm .... noow there's a band that keeps it real.
One of the best 70's TD clone bands.

Many thanks for the link TFT !!!
What a find.
Cheers !

Quote leslawrenson:

Table, that's a veritable vintage analogue buff's wet dream!

I'd like to have a back room behind my studio just like that.

I bought their first CD two years ago and Brendan who is gentle guy sent me a promo cd which I lost
not happy cause it had a fabulous 19minute track

Brian Moynihan

Loc: Boston
      #542912 - 07/11/07 02:15 PM
Every time I try out a new synth in the music store (becoming increasingly hard these days due to the Tesco like dominance of Roland and Behringer) the first thing I do is load any preset, then dig down through the menus and turn off all but one oscillator, all the effects, all the ear candy modulation. Then I start from scratch putting back the bits I want to hear.... It's the only way to really get a feel for what the synth sounds like. The culture of the industry today is to release synths where all the presets have every oscillator at 100%, layers of effects, filter sweeps, fireworks and dancing baboons just to impress you in the store while you're trying to hear the synth over the guy playing the electronic drumkit in the corner and the kids playing my chemical romance riffs behind you at volume 11.

Like Paul White's recent leader on the subject, it's exactly these sort of sounds that simply don't fit in the mix, *any* mix, unless you are making 300bpm trance or dutch gabber and you want the sounds of 1000 alien spacecraft engines playing the same riff for 5 minutes.

It was only by starting from scratch I was able to ascertain recently that the Korg Radias isn't too bad a synth for a crappy modern digital beast, in a sea of 'me too' virtual analogs. The Little Phatty is astonishingly good, I almost prefer it to my Voyager though I have no idea why.

Truth is though, there's not a lot of difference between a synth of the early 80s and a modern equivalent like the Prophet 8. What has changed is people's approach to being creative with sound. Where someone might have run a great tune through a Space echo and some overloading analog compression & re-amping to get a unique and striking sound back then, people are more likely to have fifty 24bit DAW tracks of Prophet8 making pointless, busy & characterless music drenched in clean yet boring plugins!

Snailzer

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Re: Modern synths are rubbish? new [Re: Zukan]
      #542913 - 07/11/07 02:17 PM
Quote Zukan:

Quote Snailzer:

Any thoughts on Sequentials Multi-Trak...? I got one on the weekend, so far it seems nice. .

Yep, had one, very nice.

You can program some great sounds out of these.
Nice filters, decent arp and I used the sequencer to program my own arps so it made it more flexible.

I loaded up Reason4's new Thor synthesiser yesterday with a nice bass preset, then found a nice Sequential MT bassline. Then compared the two. I quickly turned Reason4 off and continued making the track. No comparison, even with Thor through a Scream4distortion, Mastering compressor and extreme EQ tweaking it was nowhere near the same. I had to re-check the hardware mixer to make sure the levels were the same, and no EQ knobs had been moved. It sounded like the low EQ had been turned up, but... it hadn't been. It was just the vanilla sound from the Sequential. Thor is very flexible, the osc selection is amazing, but for basic analogue fuzz and depth, forgettaboutit.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/dubreakdublin

dubbmann

Loc: 3rd stone from the sun.
      #543006 - 07/11/07 06:14 PM
i think the original question o/t thread is almost impossible to answer w/ yes or no. i've been collecting synths since 1985 and have much of what i bought still, starting w/ 2 chroma polaris's, the last great analog synths to come out of the arp design studio (bought by fender in bankruptcy in 83/84). i've had and sold memormoog+, sci prophet vs and t8, oberheim obsx, and a few others of lesser fame. the last new synth i bought was a radikal spectralis (analog synth/groove box) which i bought in february and which is FANTASTIC.

i'd say the way to evaluate a synth is mainly the quality of its sounds and what it lets your magic fingers coax out of it but also the quality of construction and parts. anyone who's owned a vintage piece of gear knows that the most valuable accessory is the phone number of a trusted tech, because the odds are good you're going to need him. my memorymoog blew a power supply ($300 repair back in 1990), my prophet vs had a short in its lcd display, no spares could be found (pre-web days) and i had to have its backlight disconnected to keep the machine from rebooting; my prophet t8's magnificent weighted keyboard developed a mid-life crisis that ... well, you get the idea. likewise, anyone who buys a beautiful old moog or roland modular for $5-10K better plan on spennding that to get the beast working reliably again. and even then it's only monophonic...

otoh, some of the products o/t last 15 years have been fantastic. the european gear (clavia, access, waldorf, and my late much lamented quasimidi) has been extremely innovative, high quality stuff. not cheap but well made and hugely powerful. just look at the rigs klaus schulze (arguably the god of analog synths) klaus has used over the last 15 years (his website has details on his rigs for the obsessive fans like yours truly). a mix of old and new - mini-moog, jd800, quasimidi raven, polymorphs, and 309s.

i think part of the complaint is a) quality of build and b) sameness of sound. as for a), i recall the first time i saw a roland v-synth in a store and picking it up found that i could twist the plastic case by the end pieces. it was beyond flimsy. same thing w/t roland mc909 and mc808, neither of which holds a candle to the mc505 for ruggedness. when the rolands of the world cost-reduce their products to match behringer's cost of manufacture, that's what you get.

the sameness issue is a different kettle of fish. to me, like a lot of earlier posters have noted, it's a matter of subtraction (the new subtractive synthesis? ;-) i bought a korg karma when it was new, and my enamourment with its fancy pyrotechnics lasted about three weeks. then i started shutting down the karma tricks and modifying what i kept until i arrived at something that could sit in a mix (a la paul white's excellent leader). the same thing applies to the sound patches. strip the reverb, get to basics and build from there.

ultimately i don't think there was any 'golden' age of wonderful synths. back in the 70s synths were expensive, unreliable, and relatively scarce. in the 80s synths were still expensive (memorymoog = $5600 in 1984, emulator I = $6K+ when new, etc) but getting more reliable and smarter w/t addition of microprocessors and memory to store patch info; however, we also got the era of knob-free synths - korg m1 notably. in the 90s we got the return of knobs and virtual analog as processors got fast enough to run the algorithms. now we have vsts, etc, but also things like the return of dave smith and DSI (yeah!). the bottom line is that today we have less excuse than ever for not making the music we want to, no matter what type of synth strikes your fancy.

oh yeah, and wrt to the question 'are modern synths rubbish?'. my answer is no more rubbish than they've ever been, just rubbish in different ways ;-)

cheers,

d

--------------------
http://www.thinkbluecounttwo.com/
http://www.phichibe.com

Arpangel

#543016 - 07/11/07 06:23 PM
Quote Snailzer:

Thor is very flexible, the osc selection is amazing, but for basic analogue fuzz and depth, forgettaboutit.

Yes, thats why we have the choice to choose whats best for the job, no one synth is going to do everything we want, and we are in an era where people are prepared to pay hundreds to get just one good sound, and I don't see anything wrong with that personally, if you have the money. But I don't do dance music where you need a great bass machine, or a searing lead line, so the classic synth sounds aren't really any use to me ! But...if that's what you want, great.

Take care,

Tony.

leslawrenson

Re: Modern synths are rubbish? new [Re: dubbmann]
      #543023 - 07/11/07 06:40 PM
Quote dubbmann:

oh yeah, and wrt to the question 'are modern synths rubbish?'. my answer is no more rubbish than they've ever been, just rubbish in different ways ;-)

I kinda agree with you on this one, dubby.

I love my Prophet 5. So much so, in fact, that I've just bought another one (which I aim to collect very shortly).

But, ultimately, the P5 is a very simple beast. Sure, it was great in its day, especially with the magical introduction of memory slots, so that one could call up both presets and one's own programs at the simple push of a button. But that's nothing by today's standards.

It's got 2 oscillators, but only one lfo. Yes, you can use osc 2 as a 2nd lfo, but then you are left with only one oscillator. And the modulation matrix, as great as it was back in 1978, is too simple by modern standards.

So what is so great about the P5, then?

It's the sound the thing makes, AND (crucially for me) how easy it is to get those sounds from it.

My problem with a lot of the modern synths is that they are just too darn complicated. The learning curve to learn how to program them just ain't worth the effort in terms of lost music-making hours. Okay, synths like the JP9000, Access Virus, and Novation Supernova attempted to address that problem by making them "programable" in the old analogue sense, but still there is a lot going on under the interface that directly affects how the synth sounds.

I don't think modern synths are rubbish. I just think that they appear so accessible when, in reality, they are not. With the vintage synths, like the P5 and Mini Moog, what you see is what you get. There is an immediacy about those synths which hasn't really been replicated in modern gear.

Arpangel

#543026 - 07/11/07 06:50 PM
I was just getting a bit tetchy, I tend to throw my toys out of the pram when anyone even remotely tries to have a poke at Reason, especially the Thor, you all know I think it's the best thing since double helpings of cauliflower cheese and a fat bird

Take care !

Tony.

Seaforth

Loc: East Anglia, Great Britain
      #543036 - 07/11/07 07:19 PM
I never buy ANYTHING that doesn't come with dancing baboons.

table for two

#543073 - 07/11/07 08:43 PM
Quote arpangel:

Thor

Aye ... I was always a big fan

The Mighty Thor's magical hammer Mjolnir

Sonic The Hedgehog

Loc: Mobius
      #543144 - 07/11/07 11:50 PM
In my 2nd year of Uni I had an assignment to create a Reaktor ensemble of synth and effect unit. My write-up began with me basically slating Reaktor's patches for being 128 versions of spaceship noises, and that I wanted to do something useful to a keyboard player. I was very inspired at the time by Raymond Scott's homebuilt synthesizers made from a gutted telephone exchange. So I made a 'vintage' synth that could sound like an organ or theremin or telharmonium! It even had a battleship green design and a Magic Eye VU meter.

I got a first for it too

And if you want Thor to growl then chuck it through some old tape machine. It does take a bit of effort outside the box you know

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/fourtrackfrontier

leslawrenson

#543162 - 08/11/07 12:48 AM
You can have great fun passing Thor through the Sherman Filterbank 2.

Mind you, and as i have stated before, you can have a lot of fun passing a Stylophone through the Sherman Filterbank 2.

hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
Re: Modern synths are rubbish? new [Re: Sonic The Hedgehog]
      #543171 - 08/11/07 01:41 AM
Quote Sonic The Hedgehog:

Raymond Scott's homebuilt synthesizers made from a gutted telephone exchange.

Man's a genius. Apparently twas his 99th birthday in September!

Now... them's a synthesiser!!!!!

More here

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

ZukanModerator
Zukan

Re: Modern synths are rubbish? new [Re: hollowsun]
      #543224 - 08/11/07 09:52 AM
As 'moist' as it gets Hollow.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
Re: Modern synths are rubbish? new [Re: Zukan]
      #543261 - 08/11/07 11:37 AM
Quote Zukan:

As 'moist' as it gets Hollow.

The gusset is sodden!

And that other thread on the Radiophonic's not helping either!

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

Sonic The Hedgehog

#543274 - 08/11/07 12:04 PM
That last pic went it the write-up as well. The best 'Figure 1.' ever

--------------------

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#543345 - 08/11/07 02:55 PM
Quote hollowsun:

And that other thread on the Radiophonic's not helping either!

I hear you.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

leslawrenson

#543372 - 08/11/07 03:52 PM
Wow!

A synth the size of a small aircraft hanger!

I note the date is 1946.

Do I take it that that beast is a monosynth?

Arpangel

#543447 - 08/11/07 07:16 PM

And if you want Thor to growl then chuck it through some old tape machine. It does take a bit of effort outside the box you know

I spent years chucking things through old tape machines, life is simpler now, in a way, and the computer makes things easier for me to do. I know it's fun to experiment with old kit, but for me now it's easier and less bother to use a mouse ! I read an article by Tod Dockstader in The Wire magazine, he said the same, and he's in his 80's, as long as you can get where you want to go does it really matter how you got there ?

Take care,

Tony.

Sonic The Hedgehog

#543478 - 08/11/07 09:07 PM
I accept there's sometimes an easier way, especially if you've done it the long way once, but if we relied on that for the first go every time, we'd never learn anything!

Working outside the box leads to many strange discoveries as I'm sure you know!

--------------------

Arpangel

#543491 - 08/11/07 09:45 PM

Working outside the box leads to many strange discoveries as I'm sure you know!

Yes, and I'm glad there are people like you out there that realise that.

Take care,

Tony.

silver finish

#543618 - 09/11/07 09:12 AM
I do think there is a concrete point here that goes well beyond the idea that this is subjective nostalgia mentioned above. A lot of people do find that there is a blandness issue and a lack of depth in the sound of many vas and softsynths, and again and again I've found with people I've met that the longer they spend experimenting and developing their synth music, the more they gravitate both to real analogues and earlier digital synths.

Edited by silver finish (09/11/07 09:17 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: **
Thread views: 30412

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media