Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
table for two

Re: Modern synths are rubbish? new [Re: Dameo]
      #549454 - 24/11/07 11:05 AM
Just as an aside I wish there was a 37 full size weighted key synth workstation, sampler & MIDI controller
that allows sounds of various formats to be converted on the pc and uploaded on to the workstation.

With 2 decent mic pres & a decent hard disk recorder.

Something like a Novation X Station + Alesis Fusion + Zoom HD8.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Pashmina

Loc: north-east england
      #549461 - 24/11/07 11:22 AM
I fint the assertion that modern synths are rubbish bizarre. I have an Alesis Ion, I love it, it's a fantastic little instrument that I use and play all the time. The Nord G2 is an excellent piece. Every time I've played the Roland V-synth, I've thought it was great, I wish I could afford one. I have a bunch of modern modular stuff - Wiard, Modcan, MOTM, Blacet, Plan B, Oakley. It's all fantastic, and inspiring to play with. The new little Waldorf unit looks like it's going to have everything I like about the micro-q incorporated into it, and most of the things I don't like eliminated. I have a couple of E-mu Proteus 2000s, which are fairly recent, and which you can pick up for buttons these days. My god, I wish I'd had something like this when I was getting started! If anything, there seems to me to be a better proportion of good stuff to trash around these days. I remember some of the ropey monosyths and string machines that were all you could get/afford back in the early '80's!

--------------------
"We hate all those who diss them, but shot all those who like them"

jellyjim

Loc: uk
Re: Modern synths are rubbish? new [Re: Arpangel]
      #549463 - 24/11/07 11:24 AM
Quote arpangel:

Jelly, it's late at night, and I'm sure we could both make great music if the SH1000 was the only keyboard at our disposal.

Have you seen me play keyboards after the pub Tony?

I didn't really mean that the SH1000 was worthless I just meant that it's no classic analog synth on which to judge the merits of analogue versus modelling synths which was what was suggested in the original post ... about a page ago, I didn't realise I wasn't on the last page I thought the SH1000 comment was the most recent posting.

Late indeed ... I was transferring 32Mb of WAVs to an S3000XL via MIDI ... LES YOU HAVE SO MUCH TO ANSWER FOR

--------------------
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Arpangel

Loc: London
Re: Modern synths are rubbish? new [Re: jellyjim]
      #549469 - 24/11/07 11:45 AM
Hi JellyJim, I was also up late last night, editing my last album "man" It feels great to be doing something again, I haven't had the enthusiasm or focus for ages. My next project is to build a case for my Doepfer modules, some people enjoy these things, but they are just a chore to me these days.

Take care,

Tony.

steveman

Loc: London - UK
Re: Modern synths are rubbish? new [Re: SecretSam]
      #549570 - 24/11/07 07:17 PM
Quote SecretSam:

Just a tiny bit OT:

Have any of you tried the Creamware ABS series ?

Do they capture the mojo of the originals ?

(I ran into a bloke who has an original ARP and says the creamware sounds pretty much the same but is far more usable. But he imports them and sells them, so I took that with a bag of sodium chloride.)

I've the Minimax ASB, don't know how it compares to the original (SOS review said it was as close as 2 different Minis), but I'd say it has some of the mojo. I like it, tried programming some particular sounds that the software versions couldn't do and it nailed them. Still sounds good w/o the built in delay/chorus , and only a 2 digit LED so no preconceptions about presets and no menu diving... Does have some MIDI quirks that caused me much head scratching.

I've heard it said the Creamware emulations (for the Scope cards) are pretty much the best thing out there.

Be aware Creamware no longer exists as such (can't recall who they're tied with now) so support may well be an issue.

leslawrenson

Loc: Outside Mothercare
Re: Modern synths are rubbish? new [Re: jellyjim]
      #549757 - 25/11/07 05:06 PM
Quote jellyjim:

I was transferring 32Mb of WAVs to an S3000XL via MIDI ... LES YOU HAVE SO MUCH TO ANSWER FOR

Go on! Admit it!

You loved it, really!

table for two

#549785 - 25/11/07 06:48 PM
I've been debating about getting a Fusion 8HD.

Its got decent VA & FM, ok Physical Modelling, decent sampler, 8 track 40GB HD recorder.
Hollowsun classic synth sounds, bread n butter sounds & sounds that can be downloaded on to it.

Hollowsun gives far more analysis here
here

For someone as me who likes to lay down ideas fast, likes using bread n butter sound and sounds of vintage synths
likes analogue (albeit VA on this) & FM
the fusion 8HD is a different beast fronm the other workstations & syhtns outhere and is very appealing to me ...esp at current prices.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: **
Thread views: 31437

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media