Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
table for two

Re: Alesis Fusion 6HD £399 new [Re: hollowsun]
      #549780 - 25/11/07 06:18 PM
Is it possible to hook up the Fisuon to a pc via the Fusion's USB port and make it a USB MIDI KB controller.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Music Wolf

Loc: Exiled to St Helens
Re: Alesis Fusion 6HD £399 new [Re: table for two]
      #549803 - 25/11/07 07:35 PM
Quote table for two:

Is it possible to hook up the Fisuon to a pc via the Fusion's USB port and make it a USB MIDI KB controller.

I'm pretty sure that you can't. When you hook it up to a PC it shows up as an external Hard Drive. It doesn't appear as a MIDI input device in Cubase.

I may be wrong, and I'm sure that Hollow Sun could give a definitive answer, but its 4:30 in the morning here in Japan and I'm wide awake due to being on UK time so I'm offering advise on subjects where I have little, or no, expertise. So sorry if I mislead anyone - but I'm bored, .............and hungry.

table for two

Re: Alesis Fusion 6HD £399 new [Re: Music Wolf]
      #549810 - 25/11/07 07:45 PM
Quote Music Wolf:

but its 4:30 in the morning here in Japan and I'm wide awake due to being on UK time
so I'm offering advise on subjects where I have little, or no, expertise.
So sorry if I mislead anyone - but I'm bored, .............and hungry.

hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
      #549817 - 25/11/07 08:04 PM
Quote table for two:

Sorry - no.

As the bored and hungry man in Japan says ... it's strictly for HD access only.

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

table for two

#549826 - 25/11/07 08:23 PM
ooops doubleh posteh

table for two

#549827 - 25/11/07 08:23 PM
Thanx Wolfie & HS

If I plug in my mobile phone (with memory card) into a USB port
it offers options of either file transfer or phone services.

An OS update for the Fusion could do likewise.

Meanwhile there is this E-Mu MIDI 1X1 £21.99

Gelled_Fringe

Re: Alesis Fusion 6HD £399 new [Re: comradec]
      #549942 - 26/11/07 01:38 AM
Quote comradec:

Has anyone here used the Fusion as a MIDI controller with their software DAW?

I'd be interested to know if it's any good in that role.

an excellent question - hollowsun?

hollowsun

#549954 - 26/11/07 04:07 AM
I haven't used it extensively with plug-ins (because I don't use them - my armoury is almost totally hardware) but it worked fine. It works fine with my various bits of hardware gubbins as well.

I find the default factory global velocity setting to be too low (as do others) but increase that and it works just dandy (for me anyway). There are also several velocity curves to choose from.

Furthermore, in Fusion's MIX mode, you can set up 16-way layers and keyboard splits for external stuff (hard or soft).

--------------------

YamahaForums

Loc: UK
      #550893 - 28/11/07 12:15 AM
Paid £250 for my Fusion 6HD. Has 80gb hard drive. Was the best the 250 quid I have spent in a long time.

Bit of a bummer that the usb doesn't also act as a midi port when the big 3 all have that feature but I guess it's not too much of a big deal..bit silly to leave it out though.

Hollow Sun packs really are the icing on the cake and the Fusion Converter software very useful for easily bringing in your Akai samples

Now I have the Fusion I really doubt I would ever part with it.

--------------------
www.yamahaforums.co.uk

table for two

Re: Alesis Fusion 6HD £399 new [Re: YamahaForums]
      #550978 - 28/11/07 10:30 AM
Quote YamahaForums:

Paid £250 for my Fusion 6HD. Has 80gb hard drive. Was the best the 250 quid I have spent in a long time.
Hollow Sun packs really are the icing on the cake and the Fusion Converter software very useful for easily bringing in your Akai samples

Now I have the Fusion I really doubt I would ever part with it.

Heya Yamaha

When I was giggling the Fusion HD I came across your post in another forum and that you had bought this I think last week or something.

£250 is a brilliant price. Niiice one

Dunewar

Loc: Belgian Coast
      #551037 - 28/11/07 12:53 PM
How's the piano in this thing, and the keyboard action? Any good? I'm a jazz player, and I lug around a Rompler (XV3080 Roland), a stage piano (yamaha P120) and soon a sampler (A3000) so I can take sounds from my juno and my wavestation with me without taking them on the road. I would love for one synth to take all these duties into one, so I can just take the synth, my MPC, and go playing, instead of my piano, a rack of synths/samplers and my mpc.

How comparable to a mid-priced stage piano are the stock piano sounds? Of course I could allways add more via sampling, but that would take away sampling memory.

--------------------
"Do not fear mistakes. There are none."
Miles Davis

MarkOne

Loc: Bristol, England, Earth, Perus...
Re: Alesis Fusion 6HD £399 new [Re: Dunewar]
      #551080 - 28/11/07 03:12 PM
OK Action first

The 6HD is a pretty light synth action board, and for piano duties really won't cut it.

The 8HD which I have has weighted action and I personally like it a lot. It is not as heavy as some of the other 88 note boards, but there is sufficient bounce and tactile response that I find it very easy to play.

Now the piano sound.

Alesis has licensed the Holy Grail piano from Q Up Arts. Generally the Fusion user community is split on it - it seems to be a marmite sound (you love it or hate it) If you are used to some of the very bright stage piano sounds from Korg or Yammy you will probably dislike it. But the 4 continuous controllers default to EQ when you select this sound so it's easy to tailor the sound on the fly.

but take a listen to this Alesis demo and make up your own mind.

Something to mention, as you bring up the point about sample memory. The Fusion makes no distinction between ROM samples and HD samples. In both cases the machine has to load the sample data either from ROM or HD into sample RAM. In this regard it is very different from boards from the big 3 where ROM samples are generally played right out of ROM. This means if you are used to the concept of switch on-lights come on and you select a sound and instantly play, you will find the Fusion takes time to load samples into RAM (However you can pre-load stuff up to the sample RAM limit so you can switch pretty much instantly in a live situation) but to be fair a number of people coming from other workstations were complaining about load times. (They obviously never used a rack-mount sampler live!)

Hope this is helpful

--------------------
New album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!
Making of Fantasy Bridge Diary

MadManDan

Loc: Across the pond....New Yawk
Re: Alesis Fusion 6HD £399 new [Re: MarkOne]
      #551153 - 28/11/07 05:39 PM
Sadly, I’d lost my whole studio and have to start all over again. The Fusion 8HD looks SOOO NICE!!!!! The price around here is only $1000. What a time to be broke lol

Quote MarkOne:

Generally the Fusion user community is split on it - it seems to be a marmite sound (you love it or hate it) …but take a listen to this Alesis demo and make up your own mind.

I sort of like it, so that disputes the Marmite theory. I’ve never even tasted Marmite (coincidence???) But then again, presently I have no synths whatsoever, so how picky can I be?

I think that I'm critical of the piano sound hearing it solo. I'd imagine in the context of a piece of music it sounds right.

--------------------
Gear list: If you can't find it, grind it

Edited by MadManDan (28/11/07 05:48 PM)

hollowsun

#551166 - 28/11/07 06:00 PM
Mark is pretty much spot on in his analysis. Many use the 6HD for piano duties perfectly well but, of course, the 8HD's nicely weighted keyboard is bettter. And yes, opinions are divided about the on-board 'Holy Grail' piano.

That said, there are other pianos available for Fusion and that is one of Fusion's greatest strengths - the fact that it is a sampler as well as a ROMpler and so you can add your own piano(s) as you wish and save 'em to the built in HD and load/use 'em just like the on-board stuff (you could sample your P120 and maybe some of your fave sounds from the XV3080 if you find Fusion's don't cut it for you). As to your comment "that would take away sampling memory...." - not really ... your piano samples would use the same space as the 'Holy Grail' you would be replacing (IYSWIM - i.e. instead of loading the HGP, you'd load your own).

I know that the competition have sampling facilities but they don't appear (to me at least) to be as 'integrated' as Fusion's - that internal HD is not to be underestimated.

Incidentally, if you want to compare the two (HGP and your P120) side by side, try these:

8HD

P120

Quote MarkOne:

The Fusion makes no distinction between ROM samples and HD samples. In both cases the machine has to load the sample data either from ROM or HD into sample RAM.....

but to be fair a number of people coming from other workstations were complaining about load times. (They obviously never used a rack-mount sampler live!)

Correct but one thing worth mentioning perhaps is that unlike a typical rack sampler, there is no specific LOAD mode, page, menu - call it what you will - where you have to sit down and decide what to load. Instead, sampled sounds (your own, from ROM, any of the downloads, whatever) load on demand when selected and typically take just a few seconds. It should also be pointed out as well that once loaded, you can switch between them instantly (like a ROMpler).

FYI, the pianos included in Fusion as standard are:

* The Holy Grail Piano
* Yamaha CP70 Electric Grand
* The 'classic' electric piano that cannot be named for legal reasons
* Wurlitzer EP200
* Hohner Pianet
* RMI Electrapiano

All are sampled in detail with samples every minor third and with up to four velocity layers.

There is also a very tasty Yamaha grand piano floating around in the Fusion community that was created by a Fusion user.

--------------------

table for two

#551182 - 28/11/07 06:42 PM
Quote hollowsun:

and that is one of Fusion's greatest strengths - the fact that it is a sampler as well as a ROMpler and so you can add your own piano(s) as you wish and save 'em to the built in HD and load/use 'em just like the on-board stuff (you could sample your P120 and maybe some of your fave sounds from the XV3080

This is SUCH an apppealing feature for me
"Import and convert WAVE files (.wav), AIFF files (.aif and .aiff), Akai S-1000/3000, SoundFonts (.sf2) files using the Alesis Fusion Converter application"

I can see myelf putting loads of converted sounds on the HD

table for two

Re: Alesis Fusion 6HD £399 new [Re: YamahaForums]
      #551185 - 28/11/07 06:48 PM
Quote YamahaForums:

Bit of a bummer that the usb doesn't also act as a midi port ...bit silly to leave it out though.

One would have thought a firmware update might have resolved this ... but I guess no such updtes will be forthcoming.

Dunewar

#551299 - 29/11/07 07:54 AM
Tnx Hollowsun, i'll be sure to check it out once the P120 is due for replacement, it sure looks very good for the money, integrated sampling+rompler YEAH! I will check out the piano action though, i'm very picky in that department, so far only yamaha has been able to satisfy my hands, but I haven't tried the fusion yet.

One last small question though : how sturdy is the build quality? My P-120 is built like a tank, and has even survived a fall of the stairs without so much as a scratch. I gig almost every week, so it gets shoveled in and out my car a lot, on stage, of stage etc.... You get the picture. THe P-120 is absolutely unbeatable in that area, how's the fusion?

--------------------
Miles Davis

table for two

#551424 - 29/11/07 12:57 PM
Quote MarkOne:

Now the piano sound.

but take a listen to this Alesis demo and make up your own mind.

Thanx for that Mark

Reminded me of some of the John Coltrane cds I have.

Yes the sound is a bit bright but a bit of equing can fix that.

I actually Really like the piano samples that came with Sonar 3 Producer ... across the range soft, mellow, deep.

As Hollowsun says, can import a suitable piano file into the Fusion.

If I do end up getting the Fusion, this is mos def what I'll do.

OneManBanned

Loc: Salisbury
      #551447 - 29/11/07 02:13 PM
I wasn't totally enamoured by that demo, tbh. but i've got plenty of great pianos on my akai z4 i could easily port over. tis very tempting.

Quote table for two:

I actually Really like the piano samples that came with Sonar 3 Producer ... across the range soft, mellow, deep.

i've got Sonar producer 5 and 6. whereabouts are they? there are so many virtual instruments i haven't really had a go with many of them.

table for two

Re: Alesis Fusion 6HD £399 new [Re: OneManBanned]
      #551453 - 29/11/07 02:20 PM
Hi there OMB

AFAIK ... they only came on a separate CD with Producer 3.

OneManBanned

#551486 - 29/11/07 03:36 PM
really?

d'oh!

cheers tho

hollowsun

Re: Alesis Fusion 6HD £399 new [Re: Dunewar]
      #551602 - 29/11/07 08:18 PM
Quote Dunewar:

I will check out the piano action though, i'm very picky in that department, so far only yamaha has been able to satisfy my hands, but I haven't tried the fusion yet.

If the P120 has that graduated hammer action, Fusion may disappoint. But it's a nice action nonetheless - weighty enough for piano, light enough for synth, etc.. Well... for me anyway.

Quote Dunewar:

One last small question though : how sturdy is the build quality?

Strikes me as pretty sturdy ... 8HD in particular.

There are lots of Fusion users who gig with them regularly and they don't seem to have any trouble to speak of (that I am aware of anyway).

--------------------

Dunewar

#551786 - 30/11/07 01:29 PM
Quote hollowsun:

Quote Dunewar:

I will check out the piano action though, i'm very picky in that department, so far only yamaha has been able to satisfy my hands, but I haven't tried the fusion yet.

If the P120 has that graduated hammer action, Fusion may disappoint. But it's a nice action nonetheless - weighty enough for piano, light enough for synth, etc.. Well... for me anyway.

Quote Dunewar:

One last small question though : how sturdy is the build quality?

Strikes me as pretty sturdy ... 8HD in particular.

There are lots of Fusion users who gig with them regularly and they don't seem to have any trouble to speak of (that I am aware of anyway).

Tnx hollowsun, in any case, I wouldn ever buy one to replace the P120 without trying. I could allways get the fusion 6 on top of my p-120, so I have the choice between synth action or piano action. I'm thinking about this...........

--------------------
Miles Davis

leslam

Re: Alesis Fusion 6HD £399 new [Re: pe-te]
      #552007 - 01/12/07 09:43 AM
I noticed you use the Fusion as a controller. I just purchased an HD8 and want to control my Korg M1, Alesis Nanosynth and Alesis Ion from my Fusion. Any suggestions?

Thanks

hollowsun

Re: Alesis Fusion 6HD £399 new [Re: leslam]
      #552225 - 01/12/07 10:20 PM
Quote leslam:

I noticed you use the Fusion as a controller. I just purchased an HD8 and want to control my Korg M1, Alesis Nanosynth and Alesis Ion from my Fusion. Any suggestions?

MIDI OUT of Fusion to MIDI INs of those items.

You might want to adjust Fusion's global velocity parameter (GLOBAL > SETTINGS > Velocity Curve and Velocity Scaling) as the default is a bit low for controlling external gear (I use LOG curve and a setting of 50)

--------------------

table for two

#553262 - 04/12/07 06:46 PM
Anderton's have the 8HD at £599

http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_FUSION8HD.html

Website says they are awaiting stock, bit I left a message on the enquiry form on the same page on moday afternoon
and today tuesday mid morning a slaes rep phoned me called Will Keen
who was well keen to do a sale & friendly.

So I asked him various details re warranty, after sales service, managers name, contacts, delivery, invoice.

Paid with maestro + £10 delivery by City-Link next day.

The order number is the customer ref num for City-Link.

About 4.20pm got an email from anderton's warehouse saying goods had been dispatched.
After 5pm I checked City-Link's site and in the tracking part entered the oorder number in the customer reference num box

sure enough it said

"Current Status: These goods have been scanned at the collection branch and are now on route to the delivery branch."

I am not counting my chickens, and knowing city-link its best to be realisitc
Hopefully it will be here by Thursday

Will Keen said they had 11 8HD's in stock.

Now 10, mebe less.

Many thanx to Hollowsun for all his aedvice and pointers and to everyone else on this thread

hollowsun

#553286 - 04/12/07 08:04 PM
Wow! Good 4 U T42

I hope it all goes well for you. Gimme a shout if you have any questions.

--------------------

table for two

#553306 - 04/12/07 09:13 PM
Thanx HS

comradec

Loc: Stockton-on-Tees, UK
      #553679 - 05/12/07 04:34 PM
Well, I couldn't resist it at that price so I've gone and ordered the 6HD model from Turnkey.

They don't have any in stock now but say they're expecting some more on December 20. Alesis, I was told, are very reliable at delivering to schedule.

The Fusion's sampler appears to be a waste of time, at least as a phrase looper, not offering time stretch/beat synchronisation, but the synthesis options seem very exciting.

And I'm in the camp who like the look of this thing.

--------------------
Steve Cooke
http://soundcloud.com/stevecooke

hollowsun

#553693 - 05/12/07 04:42 PM
Quote comradec:

The Fusion's sampler appears to be a waste of time, at least as a phrase looper, not offering time stretch/beat synchronisation

Well... not a waste of time exactly but yes - no onboard stretch/beat match stuff. But....

You could do that outside of the box, mangle as you want and then lob it at Fusion via the convertor.

And if I remember correctly, ReCycle can export its slices to Akai S5/6000 .akp programs which can be converted for use in Fusion. The MIDI file it generates can be imported into Fusion too ..... I think - haven't tried it so can't vouch for that 100% (and I haven't used ReCycle for ages).

--------------------

OneManBanned

#553718 - 05/12/07 05:32 PM
I've ordered one too...YAY!!!

lets form a secret club.

i too have gone for the Anderton's 8HD deal, plus i've (rather dangerously) discovered the wonders of interest free credit

i've got loads of great stuff on my Akai z4 that i should be able to port over without too many hitches.

lets all rendez-vous in a week's time to compare notes.....

(rubs hands together)

hollowsun

#553756 - 05/12/07 06:32 PM
Quote OneManBanned:

I've ordered one too...YAY!!!

Quote OneManBanned:

lets form a secret club.

There is already is one

Quote OneManBanned:

i've got loads of great stuff on my Akai z4 that i should be able to port over without too many hitches.

Should be fine. In fact, that's a nice system - do your sampling on the Z4 using ak.Sys, wave editors, etc., as before then lob it all at Fusion via the convertor. You won't need to change your sampling methods!

--------------------

leslawrenson

Loc: Outside Mothercare
      #553765 - 05/12/07 06:44 PM
Quote hollowsun:

And if I remember correctly, ReCycle can export its slices to Akai S5/6000 .akp programs which can be converted for use in Fusion. The MIDI file it generates can be imported into Fusion too ..... I think - haven't tried it so can't vouch for that 100% (and I haven't used ReCycle for ages).

You recall correctly, Hollowsun!

I've recently bought ReCycle 2.1 for the very purpose of chopping up files for importing into my Z4 via ak.Sys. And, also, for using it with Reason 4. It will certainly work with the S5/6000.

And a bloody marvellous tool ReCycle is, too!

comradec

#553779 - 05/12/07 07:02 PM
Quote OneManBanned:

lets all rendez-vous in a week's time to compare notes.....
(rubs hands together)

We'll still be waiting for delivery then.

--------------------
Steve Cooke

table for two

#553815 - 05/12/07 08:59 PM
Well ... whadayaknaw

City-Link delivered on the right day ... that's gotta be a first

Aparently aprrox 4pm this afternoon

It is in someone elses place, as it had to be singed for.

Big up to Will Keen & Andertons ... they kept their side of the deal to deliver in 24hrs

Tracking available all the way on City-Link's website.

I am going to pick it up tomorrow and post a pic.

Thank you amigos

comradec

#553853 - 05/12/07 10:56 PM
Okay hollowsun, now that you've won some converts, what online resources would you recommend for all us newbie Fusion owners?

(Yes, you can include your own site!)

--------------------
Steve Cooke

hollowsun

#553911 - 06/12/07 03:17 AM
Quote comradec:

Okay hollowsun, now that you've won some converts

Hang on a sec - that wasn't my intention. T42 start this thread - I simply filled in the details!

Quote comradec:

what online resources would you recommend for all us newbie Fusion owners?

(Yes, you can include your own site!)

Ok.....

Official sound library releases

My own Freepacks

Alternative grand piano

Another alternative grand piano

Various Fusion tutorials

Fusion Club forum

Hope this helps.

But I will say....

When your Fusion arrives, take it out of the box and and hook it up and play with it and make sure it's working ok before buggering about with updates, etc.. Give it a few days before you embark on that.

Assuming all's well, go about adding the new sounds bit by bit.

--------------------

Music Wolf

Loc: Exiled to St Helens
      #553924 - 06/12/07 06:15 AM
Quote hollowsun:

When your Fusion arrives, take it out of the box and and hook it up and play with it and make sure it's working ok before buggering about with updates, etc.. Give it a few days before you embark on that.

And don't throw the packaging away. My 6HD developed a fault within the first 30 days. Fortunately Thomann collected, repaired and returned in time for a vital session but they could have replaced it under their no quibble 30 day policy if only I'd kept the original packaging.

hollowsun

Re: Alesis Fusion 6HD £399 new [Re: Music Wolf]
      #554161 - 06/12/07 06:02 PM
Quote Music Wolf:

And don't throw the packaging away.

Good advice for almost everything these days not just synths, whatever. We had a problem with a microwave (oven not synth!) and they too would have just done a straight swap if we'd kept the packaging. As it is, we had to have it repaired.

--------------------

OneManBanned

#555673 - 11/12/07 04:38 PM
Ok

so my beast of keyboard has arrived today in all it's glory (8HD from Andertons - Jean was very helpful and communicative - delivery man, not so much. this thing is HEAVY ). i don't think i've ever bought something of this size new before. it felt like xmas had come early

Early impressions are....that i couldn't possible give any early impressions. I had a quick dabble and realised that this thing's gonna take me while - i barely scratched the surface in my 45 minute lunch break. just flicking through some of the programs gave me the impression that there certainly wasn't the lack of "sheen" i was expecting from reading some of the previous comments. There are plenty of good rhodes and wurlis and the Holy Grail Piano is more than useable. Certainly better than the Roland samples i last had a go with, IMHO.

Only other area i feel i can comment on is build quality which is of a high standard. Like my Alesis Ion, all knobs and buttons feel solid and firm and unlikely to come away or snap off. The keyboard action is good. Unlike real pianos or some of the more expensive weighted keyboards there isn't that initial resistance as the hammer is set in motion, instead it's a more uniform resistance which feels a tad mechanical. But it feels sturdy and, again, relatively high quality. Ofcourse, this doesn't apply to the 6HD.

anyway, gonna sit down over the next few evenings (hopefully) and have a proper play. i couldn't see how to access the synth engines or the recorder so i'll have a poke around the instructions after work.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ***
Thread views: 58881

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media