Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
largon203

Loc: United States
Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: max derelict]
      #586102 - 29/02/08 02:31 AM
Quote max derelict:

here are some tracks. The first or whichever you prefer. What do you think?

http://www.reverbnation.com/maxderelict

A - Structure - Win - Nice funk, rock, jazzy guitar mix.
B - Musicality - 7 - Good progression. But there could have been a little more in the guitar melody. The end was a bit of a collision too.
C - Likability - 4 - an interesting listen. Although the end was unsatisfying.
D - Emotion - 4.5 - I felt the end of a long day stretch emotions coming through.
E - Mix - 7 - I thought that the phaser on the drums swept up a little too high. It cause some distortion through my talkers...(speakers ) All in all though the mix seemed good.
F - Master - N/A ?
G - Production - Not my genre, so nothing came to mind. Again all in all, a cool listen... Just finnish the end.

In short - A cool kat production... worth a good few listens.

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo
www.myspace.com/largodigigeneration

Would you please give feedback on my track called "My Head"
You can hear it here >>> www.soundclick.com/largo <<<

--------------------
Can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: largon203]
      #586314 - 29/02/08 05:17 PM
Sorry for not specifying. I reviewed your first track.

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

Tommyhell

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: largon203]
      #586433 - 29/02/08 11:23 PM
Hi,
Just started a one man project and wrote and recorded the first demo last night...
It was a quick process and since I was doing everything myself I had to cut some corners(all the lyrics are not done yet).

Anyhow, you can find it here:
www.mikseri.net/michaelstjohn

And the song is called "song for the unknown"

Thanks

MaJoR999

Loc: Berkshire
      #588620 - 07/03/08 03:47 PM
Hi

If you could kindly review my track I would be very much obliged:

Blow Your Mind

Thanks

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes... but not necessarily in the right order."

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: Tommyhell]
      #588764 - 07/03/08 11:21 PM
Quote Tommyhell:

Hi,
Just started a one man project and wrote and recorded the first demo last night...
It was a quick process and since I was doing everything myself I had to cut some corners(all the lyrics are not done yet).

Anyhow, you can find it here:
www.mikseri.net/michaelstjohn

And the song is called "song for the unknown"

Thanks

A - Structure - Win - Nice intro, verse, chorus's
B - Musicality - 10 - Wow, excellent melodies, and harmonies both in the vocals and accompaniment.
C - Likability - 10+ - I very rarely give a song a 10+ in this category, but I truly feel anyone who listens will thoroughly enjoy this songs unique character and your outstanding vocal performance.
D - Emotion - A SOLID 5 - WOW again, I love your voice man! Kinda Cornel meets a twist of Kobain and Alice and Chains. Much more Cornel though. A very difficult style to pull off.
E - Mix - 8 - Very good and dynamic, but the choice of guitar tone was a bit off IMO. Sounded like an old Korg fx pedal.
F - Master - Not need. Sounds great
G - Production - The only production thought I have is to put that heavy guitar through a POD or some software pluggin that makes the speakers move a bit more. The choice of distortion currently employed is very thin and gristley.

In short - This SOS forum never ceases to amaze me with it's unyielding Talent, IMHO you all need to listen to this track!

-Dave (Largo)

I just re-recorded a cover by the name of "Toy Soldier" Since you probably havn't heard my earlier reincarnation of it, your perspective should be interesting. Care to reciprocate?
>>> www.soundclick.com/largo <<<

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: MaJoR999]
      #588769 - 07/03/08 11:36 PM
Quote MaJoR999:

Hi

If you could kindly review my track I would be very much obliged:

Blow Your Mind

Thanks

GET READY TO RAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A - Structure - Win - I'm giving you a win because the genre is obvious. Electronca Rave.
B - Musicality - 5 - Although the track is rampant with all kinds of movement, it still lacks a lot of melodic and harmonic content.
C - Likability - 7 - In a club atmosphere I could hear this spinning.
D - Emotion - 5 - I caught the strong sense of Mania coming through.
E - Mix - 8 - A very good mix. Great detail too, I just would have liked to hear you get a bit more creative with the old anti-pot propaganda samples thats all.
F - Master - 9 - if this wasn't mastered it may not need it according to my ears. the ballance sounds good.
G - Production - I would try skipping a few of the words from the propaganda samples around, bouncing from the left to right front to back or vise/versa. I think it would push the message even further.

In short - A track that would sit well at a RAVE party... not that I've ever been to one or anything ;-)

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo
Care to reciprocate with my track called "One Nation (Digi-Generation) ?

--------------------

onesecondglance

Loc: Reading, UK
      #589899 - 11/03/08 03:50 PM
hey largon,

i'd love to hear your thoughts on this track of mine. i just can't get happy with the mix and wondered what you would suggest.

waking up in twilight

be honest! i'm not afraid... although now i say it, i am a little...

--------------------
hourglass | random thoughts | doubledotdash!? collective

DusanZ

#590062 - 11/03/08 09:55 PM
Hi,
I play guitar and from time to time record something on my PC. I am never satisfied with the sound. Here is an instrumental.

'til I die (mp3 128)

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: onesecondglance]
      #590531 - 12/03/08 10:07 PM
Quote onesecondglance:

hey largon,

i'd love to hear your thoughts on this track of mine. i just can't get happy with the mix and wondered what you would suggest.

waking up in twilight

be honest! i'm not afraid... although now i say it, i am a little...

A - Structure - Win - I like the direction of the track.
B - Musicality - 6 - A little under produced IMO, What's there seems to be good an musical, but you leave a little to be desired in the first half.
C - Likability - 5 - Again, the track progresses in an interesting manor. Though unintelligible lyrics hurt in this score. Add to that the vocals distort at times.
D - Emotion - 5 - I think you did a fine job emoting. So IMO no issues there.
E - Mix - 4 - Pretty rough mix actually. If your not sucking the low frequencies out of the drums, then you should start by soloing the drum track and using an EQ to get it sounding more BEEFY or robust. If your responsible for it... It didn't work IMO. It lacks considerably in the bass. Needs Punch and Pop. To point out a strength, I think you did alright with the guitars. although I hear a lot of finger squeak noises. Also, I think some heavy compression on the vocal would make your words come through much better. I dig the synth pad work.
F - Master - not there yet.
G - Production - I like the mood of the track overall, and think you did a fine job producing it. Although you could have added more backup vox through out the track.

In short - A good moody soft vocal track.

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: DusanZ]
      #590537 - 12/03/08 10:19 PM
Quote DusanZ:

Hi,
I play guitar and from time to time record something on my PC. I am never satisfied with the sound. Here is an instrumental.

'til I die (mp3 128)

A - Structure - Not sure actually, doesn't seem to matter too much on this track.
B - Musicality - 6 - Not bad, but over all the musical content outside of the guitars came across as Yamaha PSR-500 accompaniment generic quality to me. Not a horrible thing, but not all that creative IMO. I did like the Guitar work though.
C - Likability - 3 - Not that great of a score. But a lot of this score has to do with my not caring for the repetitiveness of the bass and drums. I'm as much of a fan of the accompaniment as I am of the lead instruments, and the acomp. falls considerably short IMHO.
D - Emotion - 3 - I didn't get much of any emotion out of it. Maybe some longing for love or something like that, but it's far from prevalent.
E - Mix - 7 - Not a bad mix, but the lead guitar was a bit low in the mix. Overall I could hear everything well, but the mix didn't breath much.
F - Master - N/A
G - Production - Try swapping the Bass guitar(keyboard sample) with a real bass, And drums with a more natural sounding kit. This would help the track out 10 fold IMO.

In short - Some well played leads, with a weak bed.

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

mrthingy

#590591 - 13/03/08 12:40 AM
hello largon203,

Good work, this is great! My only problem with it was picking which one song to ask you about...

Anyway here it is,

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/showmp3.asp?mp3id=52719

should link to a song called Sand, I'm not totally happy with it but it's a song I've started working on quiet a few times but I think I've almost got to where I want it to be aside from a few tweeks.

Looking forward to hearing what you think.

cheers

--------------------
www.myspace.com/jazzzombies

onesecondglance

Loc: Reading, UK
      #590636 - 13/03/08 08:17 AM
Quote largon203:

A - Structure - Win - I like the direction of the track.
B - Musicality - 6 - A little under produced IMO, What's there seems to be good an musical, but you leave a little to be desired in the first half.
C - Likability - 5 - Again, the track progresses in an interesting manor. Though unintelligible lyrics hurt in this score. Add to that the vocals distort at times.
D - Emotion - 5 - I think you did a fine job emoting. So IMO no issues there.
E - Mix - 4 - Pretty rough mix actually. If your not sucking the low frequencies out of the drums, then you should start by soloing the drum track and using an EQ to get it sounding more BEEFY or robust. If your responsible for it... It didn't work IMO. It lacks considerably in the bass. Needs Punch and Pop. To point out a strength, I think you did alright with the guitars. although I hear a lot of finger squeak noises. Also, I think some heavy compression on the vocal would make your words come through much better. I dig the synth pad work.
F - Master - not there yet.
G - Production - I like the mood of the track overall, and think you did a fine job producing it. Although you could have added more backup vox through out the track.

In short - A good moody soft vocal track.

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

thanks! good tips for the bass end - i lost a lot of bass trying to get the top end to shine! rookie mistake. also think you're spot on with the vox, more compression needed (perhaps a re-record, too, with better diction).

i'll take this stuff into account when i'm remixing!

btw... i like the finger squeaks!

thanks for being honest...

--------------------
hourglass | random thoughts | doubledotdash!? collective

DusanZ

#590882 - 13/03/08 05:04 PM
Well, I got some bad but healthy critics for my first thing. I'll try to be analytical when listening your songs.
Here's another instrumental recorded long ago:

999 - DusanZ

Dave Rowles

Loc: Isle of Man
Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: DusanZ]
      #591019 - 13/03/08 10:11 PM
Okay, give mine a go then!

www.exaviormusic.com

The songs under "Exavior Music Project" are mine. Obviously not wanting you to critique the desk line demo reels

Either "Did you think" or "Scream". Mystical is worth a listen but i'd prefer a critique of the other 2!

I'll give your stuff a listen when I'm more awake! hehe

--------------------
www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

DusanZ

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: Dave Rowles]
      #591469 - 14/03/08 08:50 PM
Hi Dave,
I am not expert when talking about music production and you should consider that when you read my opinion about your songs. I am not a fan of that kind of music but I think you have created your very own ambience. "Scream" is my favourite, it really has powerful chorus. Good idea, I liked the synths but it seems to me that this song was recorded just as an idea which you should work out considering primarily structure and harmony (to make song more interesting) and then sound and mix.
That was my amateurish opinion (not so analytical) about your stuff (hope you won't mind}. I think largon could give you much better clue for further work.

RegressiveRock
Just half a pint of cherryade for me

Loc: Buntingford, Herts
Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: Dave Rowles]
      #591476 - 14/03/08 09:47 PM
Quote Exavior Music:

www.exaviormusic.com

The songs under "Exavior Music Project" are mine. Obviously not wanting you to critique the desk line demo reels

Either "Did you think" or "Scream". Mystical is worth a listen but i'd prefer a critique of the other 2!

Sorry to hijack the crits here, but I can hear some love of music hear and some use of good technique.

Snare and kick are critical to this kind of music and both need more love... ... :::: The snare is flat and the kick lacks pump. Tweak both. You quite obviously can!!!

With kindest regards,

Reg

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: RegressiveRock]
      #591561 - 15/03/08 09:16 AM
Quote RegressiveRock:

Quote Exavior Music:

www.exaviormusic.com

Sorry to hijack the crits here, but I can hear some love of music hear and some use of good technique.

Snare and kick are critical to this kind of music and both need more love... ... :::: The snare is flat and the kick lacks pump. Tweak both. You quite obviously can!!!

With kindest regards,

Reg

Nah, no sweat Reg, My whole purpose is to help, And when a well played and emoted track comes across and strikes your ear, I can respect and appreciate it. Even if my ear disagrees. Not saying my ear disagrees whatsoever, because I haven't even heard his track yet. It's late... or early rather.. where I'm from. So I'll go ahead and review those who have been waiting later today (Saturday) After I get some sleep. I've been out. Celebrating some cool news.
Read my next post if your interested in my cool news.

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

#591563 - 15/03/08 09:20 AM
Things have gotten a bit hectic on my end. Not saying I'm gonna be stopping my review threads by any means. Just saying I do have to slow it down a bit. Will probably start restricting the amount of review requests I allow at a time.
I have an announcement to make in regards to my all time favorite hobby/ 2nd job. For the past 7 years I have been offering Mac & PC support for an accredited musical school and several other businesses here in new england at a reasonable rate.
I'm as of monday.
Going to be doing the same thing, only this time as a Mac Genius at the genius bar at my local Apple store.
Yes I am and have always been a die hard Apple Kool-aid drinking Mac first, and PC 2nd nerd since day 1. While I've used reel to reel, and tape. My first real rig for recording was a Powermac 7100 A/V That I not only dove into, but eventually modified with pruning shears, and a 5 inch fan. I had a ball toying with Mods on 4 of the 9 Macs I've owned. 4 of which I still own today. IDK, I've just always been a mac lover. And now finale, I'm going to be working for the company that gave all of us the ability to make all of what we do each day on this here internet possible. Yea Microsoft brought it to the masses, but Apple invented the concept. What an honor IMO to work for them. I can't wait to start.
Either way for all of you other Mac enthusiasts, Don't even bother asking any questions. I signed an agreement, and Will NEVER EVER tell, what ever Top Secret thing I learn about. Non Disclosure that I Won't Ever break. My wife wont even know until I own it. What ever it would be.

So now what?

Nothings changed at the moment, let the reviews continue. When things get bogged, I'll let yall know.
Big Thank You's to EVERYONE who have respected my opinions, and putting up with my @$$.So....
let the reviews continue.

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

Dave Rowles

Loc: Isle of Man
Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: RegressiveRock]
      #591673 - 15/03/08 05:57 PM
Quote RegressiveRock:

Quote Exavior Music:

www.exaviormusic.com

With kindest regards,

Reg

Cool! Thanks for the comments. I'll have another go at it I understand the structure comment. Sometimes I listen back to it and think "yeah, that's a nice groove, gotta let it run on a bit" and sometimes I think "hmm...it needs a change".

Thanks again! All comments help me to think about what I'm doing

--------------------
www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

mrMRKelly

Loc: Colchester, England
      #593083 - 19/03/08 04:45 PM
Me me me me!

Could i have a go please??

Just posted a track up - "One Peace" and "How to boil an egg" it would be cool if you could have a listen to either and give me a review! Cheers!

Matt

www.myspace.com/mrmrkelly

--------------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/MRKuk http://www.reverbnation.com/mattkdrums

CushT

#594769 - 24/03/08 02:27 PM
bonsoir. abit of critique wouldnt go a miss at www.myspace.com/djcusht

if you feel like abit of hiphop check track 1. or if you fancy some slightly odd 90s breaks, check track 2.

FAAAANX!

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: mrthingy]
      #594902 - 24/03/08 08:30 PM
Quote mrthingy:

hello largon203,

Good work, this is great! My only problem with it was picking which one song to ask you about...

Anyway here it is,

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/showmp3.asp?mp3id=52719

should link to a song called Sand, I'm not totally happy with it but it's a song I've started working on quiet a few times but I think I've almost got to where I want it to be aside from a few tweeks.

Looking forward to hearing what you think.

cheers

A - Structure - Near win - Not bad, but you lost me at the in-audible seemingly over long verse. When things quieted down later in the track, things got more creative, but still lack some formulaic coherency. Over all though, the track deserves a good lot of merit for the creativity employed.
B - Musicality - 8 - Again although it lacked coherency, it was quite original. And the melodies, and rhythms were good.
C - Likability - 4 - The vocals IMO were not only weakly performed, they were also in-audible. I have no idea what you were saying (singing). Another subtracting factor IMO was the mix. In particular, the drum mix.
D - Emotion - 2 - This category weighs heavily on the vocal performance, And I felt you failed to get a performance that yielded much emotion.
E - Mix - 4 - With a poor drum mix, it's difficult to mix the track as a whole. Kind of follows the whole needs a solid foundation of Drums and bass, for the house to stay up, and strong.
F - Master - Not ready IMO
G - Production - I felt you did fine in this category. Just need to get the mix in order. The Snare and kick seem ok. But the cymbals and hi-hat seem either too loud or EQed to stick out too much. The vocals need some heavy compression, and a bit of a mid scoop to make them cut, at least to the point where I can hear what your saying.

In short - An interesting and original concept that needs some coherency.

-Dave Katsikas
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

#594908 - 24/03/08 08:47 PM
Quote DusanZ:

Well, I got some bad but healthy critics for my first thing. I'll try to be analytical when listening your songs.
Here's another instrumental recorded long ago:

999 - DusanZ

A - Structure - Win - A good metallic, easy listening blend.
B - Musicality - 8 - I specifically liked the harmonic leads, and ambient vocals. The drums and bass guitar were a very good support for the track too.
C - Likability - 5 - Overall quite likable, I can hear a good vocal lead part kicking this track up to an 8+ in this category as well.
D - Emotion - 4 - This is a great score considering there is no real lyrical content yet. The ripping lead was a very well played contributing factor.
E - Mix - 9 - Very well done mix. However the 9 can easily drop to a 6- if you're not careful mixing in the vocals should you add any. I especially liked the tone and dynamics of the drums, and Slap Bass. Very cool, and fresh sounding.
F - Master - May not need one. Sounds great by my ears.
G - Production - I'd say the track so far gets an A on my Production report card ;-) I liked for the most part all of it. But that said, there wasn't much that made me want to play it over and over, and over again.

In short - A Super tight, metallic rock instrumental, with nice precise leads. Well Done. Suggested listen.

-Dave Katsikas
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

#594922 - 24/03/08 09:17 PM
Quote Exavior Music:

www.exaviormusic.com

"Scream" It is.

A - Structure - Win - Cool intro, with a good bass line. Kinda weak verse (vocally) , with a not so weak, yet somewhat incoherent chorus.
B - Musicality - 6 - The good moving bass lines helped this track a lot. The drums are a bit out of time. To much Yin, not enough yang ;-). The vocals get very confusing in the chorus and hurt this category as well as the next category.
C - Likability - 4 - The distorted guitars are very sustained, and leave a lot to be desired IMO throughout the track. As an add, you could chop em up a bit with a more chuggy sounding rhythm.
D - Emotion - 4 - I got confusion out of the chorus, and a bit of depression out of the verses. I'm not so sure the confusion element was deliberate or not. Either way, I feel you could do better with the vocals. So a 4 it is.
E - Mix - The track as a whole is at about a 7 - The drums are good, but lack some punch. I'd go a little heavier on the compression in the drums myself. But to be fair they don't need it, just a personal preference. The vocals in the chorus, could be better mixed too IMO. Perhaps if you mixed the delays to be far left and right, and kept the main lyric in the center it may come across better.
F - Master - All in all not a bad sound. Maybe a light push would be in order, as well as a high frequency boost.
G - Production - Again the chorus may be over produced, a good vocal mix may fix it though. Outside of that issue things seem good.

In short - A good alt rock track, that IMO needs a punchier drum mix, and more coherent vocal mix.

-Dave Katsikas
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: mrMRKelly]
      #594927 - 24/03/08 09:30 PM
Quote mrMRKelly:

Me me me me!

Could i have a go please??

Just posted a track up - "One Peace" and "How to boil an egg" it would be cool if you could have a listen to either and give me a review! Cheers!

Matt

www.myspace.com/mrmrkelly

A - Structure - Win - Seeing that you gave it the appropriate genre listing of - Other/Breakbeat.
B - Musicality - 8 - Very good considering the genre. I've not heard much in the area of the Breakbeats Genre. That said, I thought your track was very original and interesting.
C - Likability - 5 - Not being familiar with the genre, I feel a 5 is in order. I would guess that those into this genre would like the variety, and creativity employed.
D - Emotion - 5 - I got a bit of anxiety, mixed with a wave of Strange. Not a bad thing either. Translates as very original and interesting.
E - Mix - 6 - The mix was good in that I could hear everything equally. The problem is though, Nothing has LIFE to it. To give a better explanation, everything is VERY STARK sounding. No real dynamics. All one volume. The Myspace decoder may have contributed to that though. (I hate Myspace's audio decoder)
F - Master - N/A
G - Production - This track way out of my genre, Hence, I have nothing.

In short - A very interesting Breakbeat track, in need of more dynamics.

-Dave Katsikas
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

DusanZ

#594929 - 24/03/08 09:31 PM
Thanks for really useful comments Largo. I have few more things on soundclick and myspace so if you spare some time you could take a listen

my station

Your things are really good, The Digi Generation is real hit! I am still amateur and I think that my comments can't be useful to you.
Best regards!

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: CushT]
      #594939 - 24/03/08 09:44 PM
Quote CushT:

if you feel like abit of hiphop check track 1. or if you fancy some slightly odd 90s breaks, check track 2.

FAAAANX!

"Hip hop thing in process"

A - Structure - Lose - :45 was when the beat kicked in, a bit of a long wait IMO For Hip Hop. Also, I would have called it more of a Trip Hop feel. It doesn't Progress all that well Formulaically either.
B - Musicality - 6 - Plenty of 'lectronic ****ery going on, but not enough musical content (IMO).
C - Likability - 3 - I'm not sure why, but I wasn't digging the track Beginning to end, When you've developed it more give me another go... ok?
D - Emotion - 3 - I got a mentally drained feel out of the track. Like what you experience after a long night of Partying. Or the morning their after.
E - Mix - 8 - Good bass bump, the drums were good and tight as well. The musical content that was there seemed well placed.
F - Master - 8 - Needs a bit of a high frequency boost to lift the dark sound out of the track.
G - Production - This is another one that's outside of my field of proficiency. Over all I would add some more musical content, but then again what do I know ;-)

In short - A slow, rhythmically rich piece of Trip Hop, Than needs a bit more in the musical category. Still worth a good listen though.

-Dave Katsikas
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

CushT

#594996 - 24/03/08 11:53 PM
yeah, thats a thing from a while back. you are right with many of the comments, and have confirmed afew things i was thinking about it... so thanks for the feedback

Quote largon203:

Quote CushT:

FAAAANX!

"Hip hop thing in process"

A - Structure - Lose - :45 was when the beat kicked in, a bit of a long wait IMO For Hip Hop. Also, I would have called it more of a Trip Hop feel. It doesn't Progress all that well Formulaically either.
B - Musicality - 6 - Plenty of 'lectronic ****ery going on, but not enough musical content (IMO).
C - Likability - 3 - I'm not sure why, but I wasn't digging the track Beginning to end, When you've developed it more give me another go... ok?
D - Emotion - 3 - I got a mentally drained feel out of the track. Like what you experience after a long night of Partying. Or the morning their after.
E - Mix - 8 - Good bass bump, the drums were good and tight as well. The musical content that was there seemed well placed.
F - Master - 8 - Needs a bit of a high frequency boost to lift the dark sound out of the track.
G - Production - This is another one that's outside of my field of proficiency. Over all I would add some more musical content, but then again what do I know ;-)

In short - A slow, rhythmically rich piece of Trip Hop, Than needs a bit more in the musical category. Still worth a good listen though.

-Dave Katsikas
www.soundclick.com/largo

largon203

#598939 - 02/04/08 06:10 PM
Quote DusanZ:

I am still amateur and I think that my comments can't be useful to you.
Best regards!

I want to say thanks...kind of, But not really. I mean... I appreciate your kind words and all, but, A lot of the time it's the less experienced opinion I seek. I couldn't disagree with you more. Ok, maybe I might have a (in some peoples opinion) better way to mix, or texture the sound, but I'm sure their are many who would and will disagree with that. Not to mention when I mix, I'm mixing for the average listener, not necessarily the trained, magical ear/gear heads that are out there. So I do want your opinion, and don't berate it either.
IMHO all your opinions count.
How else are we supposed to get our material heard and honed in to begin with. And once we have, are we gonna try and sell it to the few we have shared it with already? Ok, some may bite, but I'm not banking on it. I'm not banking on much really, just trying to get my recordings to a point where the average Joe or Jane can pop it in, and groove/bounce/headbang/sway/whatever your verb may be.

-Dave Katsikas
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

boymarsh

Loc: Glasgow
      #598962 - 02/04/08 06:53 PM
Hello,

I would appreciate some feedback on this song, if you have the time

http://www.faithfulnarrator.com/ex/untothis.mp3

Cheers

Stu

--------------------
www.soundcloud.com/theinsideeye

Bardo69

Loc: Sunny California
Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: boymarsh]
      #602947 - 11/04/08 05:57 PM
Are you still open for reviews Largon?
Follow my link below to a song called"SayGoodbye"
It's a instrumental.
What songs of yours would you like reviewed?

Bardo

--------------------
http://www.imusicscene.com/bardo/

PWGLE

Loc: UK - Cardiff/Bath
Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: Bardo69]
      #603049 - 12/04/08 12:52 AM
Hey Large, I've watched this thread on and off over the last few months. Would you be interested in reviewing one of our tracks?

http://www.onecowmedia.com/dumpbox/tyo.mp3

(mp3, vbr)

Let me know which of your tracks you'd like me to have a listen too, All the best, Lau

--------------------
P.I.G.L.E.T - where is polly?

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: PWGLE]
      #603069 - 12/04/08 03:59 AM
Hello everyone,
I will try to get caught up with this thread Sunday Evening EST USA time. I've been busy getting acclimated to my new job (yea I have one of those and I'm loving it) graciously @ Apple until then....(Sunday)
I have tons of training coming in the next few weeks, as well and things will be a bit bogged down on my end. Keep the requests coming, and I'll chop at em a few at a time.
Thanks for sharing all your music too. I appreciate how everyone is willing to share the talents & musicianship I see (hear ) in the SOS forums.

-Dave Katsikas (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: boymarsh]
      #603797 - 14/04/08 03:07 PM
Quote boymarsh:

Hello,

Cheers

Stu

A - Structure - Win - Very interesting onset, She has a good voice too.
B - Musicality - 7 - Not bad, but I think it's lacking "the memorable factor" Just a bit. Over all not bad though.
C - Likability - 6 - I did like the track. Kinda cranberries at points, But your choice of melody, and harmony did help steer it away from them. Good choice. (Not saying I dislike the Cranberries... Quit the Contrary)
D - Emotion - 4 - I felt you delivered a good performance, but it does come across a bit layed back. If that's what you were after... you nailed it. If not, give a little more push.
E - Mix - 8 - Hmmm... At times your voice was buried in the mix. Didn't sound bad, but I lost what you were saying. Not a bad mix over all though.
F - Master - Maybe a minor vollume boost.
G - Production - I have no ideas. nice job in this category as is... Maybe make the electric guitars a wee bit less harsh. Like pull a DB or so of 1k out of them using a bell with a tight Q.

In short - An interesting alt pop track, with good vocal color.

-Dave Katsikas (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo
www.myspace.com/largodigigenration

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: Bardo69]
      #603798 - 14/04/08 03:10 PM
Quote Bardo69:

Are you still open for reviews Largon?
Follow my link below to a song called"SayGoodbye"
It's a instrumental.
What songs of yours would you like reviewed?

Bardo

Hmmm.... I tried to listen to your track, but to be fair the compression is too low, Sounds like I'm listening through an AM radio. Put the song up on Soundclick.com or one of the many others that are out there, and I'd be glad to review it.
-Dave Katsikas (Largo)

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: PWGLE]
      #603805 - 14/04/08 03:22 PM
Quote PWGLE:

Hey Large, I've watched this thread on and off over the last few months. Would you be interested in reviewing one of our tracks?

(mp3, vbr)

Let me know which of your tracks you'd like me to have a listen too, All the best, Lau

A - Structure - WIN - Very nice groove! I could potentially hear this spinning in Da Club.
B - Musicality - 8 - Although there aren't a lot of musical elements to this piece, It gets a high score due to your choice and placement of the melodies you employed. Good job.
C - Likability - 9 - Very easy to listen to, and has a pop value. A few minor hokey sounding lyrics in the beginning (Fee,Fi,Fo,Fumm ) It's cool though, seeing the track has a bit of a gotta go get some attitude to it. LOL, makes me laugh a bit. Want the 10 in this category? Then, add a more memorable hook that interplays between the girls part.
D - Emotion - 5 - Well done, I got it.
E - Mix - 10 - Great mix here. I hear everything quit well. All it needs is a dynamic push across the whole track with a Mastering Compressor (Multiband) IMO.
F - Master - Just some mid drop bass, and some high end sparkl. Perhaps a taste of mid pop too. But It's ready for this stage Either way you take it.

In short - A fresh track that's just about ready for the dance floor.

-Dave Katsikas (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

boymarsh

Loc: Glasgow
      #603985 - 14/04/08 11:57 PM
Quote largon203:

Quote boymarsh:

Hello,

Cheers

Stu

B - Musicality - 7 - Not bad, but I think it's lacking "the memorable factor" Just a bit. Over all not bad though.
C - Likability - 6 - I did like the track. Kinda cranberries at points, But your choice of melody, and harmony did help steer it away from them. Good choice. (Not saying I dislike the Cranberries... Quit the Contrary)
D - Emotion - 4 - I felt you delivered a good performance, but it does come across a bit layed back. If that's what you were after... you nailed it. If not, give a little more push.
E - Mix - 8 - Hmmm... At times your voice was buried in the mix. Didn't sound bad, but I lost what you were saying. Not a bad mix over all though.
G - Production - I have no ideas. nice job in this category as is... Maybe make the electric guitars a wee bit less harsh. Like pull a DB or so of 1k out of them using a bell with a tight Q.

-Dave Katsikas (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

Hey, thanks for the feedback, it's useful to hear those kind of things, and good of you to put so much of your time into this thread.

Happy to reciprocate - is there any particular song you want feedback on or should i pick one at random?

Cheers

Stu

--------------------
www.soundcloud.com/theinsideeye

largon203

#603989 - 15/04/08 12:14 AM
Quote largon203:

Quote PWGLE:

(mp3, vbr)

Check out My Head.
www.soundclick.com/largo
I've been thinking of re-doing ALL my songs as an unplugged album. Just my voice and a piano.

--------------------

largon203

#603993 - 15/04/08 12:26 AM
Quote boymarsh:

Quote largon203:

Quote boymarsh:

Hello,

Cheers

Stu

-Dave Katsikas (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

Hey, thanks for the feedback, it's useful to hear those kind of things, and good of you to put so much of your time into this thread.

Happy to reciprocate - is there any particular song you want feedback on or should i pick one at random?

Cheers

Stu

My Head please = www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

Sty

Loc: São Paulo - Brazil
      #604433 - 15/04/08 11:24 PM
Is this thread still UP?

I didnt know about this thread , so nice

I want join!

thanx

--------------------
Some of my 3D work:
www.ronaldo3d.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
3 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 38774

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media