Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
largon203

Loc: United States
How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA)
      #570802 - 22/01/08 03:21 PM
SOS Admin,
If this is a problem please let me know.
Thanks.
Dave (Largo)

Here's the Skinny.
1. Post a link to 1 (One) song. Please if you put a link that leads to 2 or more specify which 1 I am to listen to. (Please don't PM me for review requests, as I like to do my reviews in the order in which they are requested, Feel free to PM me with any post review questions if you'd like)

2. I am very opinionated, and review from the listeners perspective first. If I find the song unlike-able I will say so, and then give mix/master feedback. I respect the writers perspective, but understand I am not going to lie to win friends, and I expect you to understand that position.

3. I will offer production tips if I think of them. And I will focus, as well on the mix help side of things, If I feel your mix needs it.

4. Each song that is posted for review will be listened to not less than 3 times and (usually) not more than 10. I will report how many time I listened (Loved= 10, and Couldn't bare=3)
If I say I listened to it more than 10 Time's rest assured I think it's a Hit if not at the moment in the near future with some modifications.

5. The only thing I ask of you all is to Review my stuff. After I review yours of course. Seems to be a fair trade?

6. Here's how my review will be delivered.

a. Song Structure. Win / Lose
b. Musicality 0-10
c. Likability (How many time I could bare to listen) 3-10
d. Emotion 0-10 (0 being none what-so ever, and 10 being Give me a break, way overdone. 5 is well done.)
e. Mix 1-10 with explanation
f. Master 1-10 if you have mastered, and or had someone master your track. (Occasionally I'll say it doesn't need it)
g. If you ask for production I will end with what I feel it needs, if you don't ask I might give it to you anyway, if I feel it needs something....

7. Lets get to it shall we?

-Dave (Largo)
www.myspace.com/largodigigeneration
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------
Can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
KNB

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: largon203]
      #570830 - 22/01/08 04:26 PM
that would be awesome, any thoughts are a help

Play 320 Kb/ps

Play 128 Kb/ps

Do you have a particular track you'd like opinions on from your myspace

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: largon203]
      #571050 - 23/01/08 04:49 AM
A - Structure - WIN WIN WIN - Love the composition and movement of this track. Very well done
B - Musicality - 10 - Very nice use of inversions, and harmonies. I especially like the chorus. Take a bow I very rarely give a 10 in this category.
C - Likability - 9 - I really enjoyed the bass timbre, and guitar tone. Very creative, and energizing. Your attention to detail is excellent. For example the vox coming in reverse for the 2nd verse, also the neat arpeggiation that plays behind everything in the verse. The only reason you didn't get a 10 in this category is because of the sound of the drums. Not per-say how you processed them but the timbre. More on this in the mix category.
D - Emotion - 4 - I think during most of the song your emotional control is perfect, but in the chorus I think you could belt it a little harder, I think if you do, it'll take the whole song up a notch to a 5.
E - Mix - 8 - I listened to this song 9 times, and I wasn't sure about what was wrong, but I did hear something. I think if you replace the percussion in the first half of the chorus with a more natural sounding kick and snare it would help the piece over all. also the cymbals are a bit digital sounding throughout the track. Nothing a few sample couldn't fix tho.
F - Master - I'm thinking you didn't master this yet so.... N/A
G - Production - 10 - I don't usually give this category a number, but in this case I will. I thought you did an Excellent job of keeping the listener interested throughout the whole song. From great textured backing arpeggiated synths, to Neat transitions, to killer bass movement.
I'd say over all a job VERY well done.

In short - An energetic, pop/metal track with a lot of go! A Must listen!

Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

If you wouldn't mind reviewing "One Nation" for me.

--------------------

largon203

#571229 - 23/01/08 03:36 PM
Any other takers?

Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

Conory

Loc: 3rd floor, Wales, UK
      #571406 - 23/01/08 10:39 PM
Dave, If no one else is up for the Largon experience I would appreciate a critique of "Woolwich next to your skin"

It's 7 minutes long so I had to convert it from 128 to 98 to fit onto Myspace.

It's on the Conory myspace page

Regards

--------------------
www.myspace.com/conory
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=804557

Atavist

#571444 - 24/01/08 01:37 AM
Would love if you would give this an expert listen if you don't mind.

http://atavistmusic.com/atavist/music.html

Song #15 The Driving Song

Ta very much if you would

--------------------
Atavist Music

Tim Davis

Loc: United Kingdom
      #571605 - 24/01/08 01:31 PM
http://www.timdavisproductions.com/beansquad/A%20Loving%20Side.mp3

Absolute work in progress, and have yet to unlock a structure for the end.. So I guess i'm looking for feedback to help me get there! That's why there is a long gap with no vocals at the end. I'm sure some crits you say i've already worked out, as there is quite a lot wrong with it : ) Anyway, I hope you enjoy!

Tim

--------------------
www.bimmusic.com
www.timdavisproductions.com

largon203

#571652 - 24/01/08 03:05 PM
Due to overwhelming Critique requests both here and on Soundclick. I'm asking for no more until I catch up. Make NO mistake about it. I will catch up!
In the order they have been recieved.
Thanks.

Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: Conory]
      #571837 - 24/01/08 09:45 PM
Quote Conory:

Dave, If no one else is up for the Largon experience I would appreciate a critique of "Woolwich next to your skin"

Regards

To be fair, I'm gonna put a minimum 128 k requirement, on my Critique's. I had a quick listen and quickly determined that for me to critique this track based on a 98k mp3 was outright unfair to you, because I couldn't make out much. It sounded like a Nintendo Entertainment System was playing a MIDI, and I know thats not what you intended or delivered for that matter. So please, offer for me to Critique another one of your tracks thats at least 128k or more.
Thanks,

Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: Atavist]
      #571840 - 24/01/08 09:48 PM
Quote Atavist:

Would love if you would give this an expert listen if you don't mind.

http://atavistmusic.com/atavist/music.html

Song #15 The Driving Song

Ta very much if you would

I tried to download "The Driving Song", but the link seems to be dead. Please re-post, and I'll be glad to Critique it.

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: Tim Davis]
      #571867 - 24/01/08 10:46 PM
Quote Tim Davis:

http://www.timdavisproductions.com/beansquad/A%20Loving%20Side.mp3

Absolute work in progress, and have yet to unlock a structure for the end.. So I guess i'm looking for feedback to help me get there! That's why there is a long gap with no vocals at the end. I'm sure some crits you say i've already worked out, as there is quite a lot wrong with it : ) Anyway, I hope you enjoy!

Tim

A - Structure - Win - Nice Pop progression with good modulation.
B - Musicality - 8 - Very well thought out melodies and harmonies. I really like the modulations in the chorus. To raise the score to a 10 ... well we'll wait for the G spot to go there...
C - Likability - 10 - I actually listened a good 12 times, I guess that means I really liked this track ;-) I thing the song is laced with a bunch of memorable content, that leads the listener to want to hear it again and again. As for the end being incomplete, I don't think it's far from complete. More on this in the G spot...
D - Emotion - 5 - I think the piece overall has a lot of believable emotion, and her voice hits a home-run (Dido style)
E - Mix - 9 - I really liked the warm sound of the music. Everything cuts nicely, the only minor issue is her Essh-es seem to cut a little too much, Nothing a mild de-esser can't fix. But I drooped the score from a 10 because it was a bit distracting, and IMO is an issue that needs to be addressed. Other than that, Well done. Great depth of field and sense of space.
F - Master - N/A not there yet.
G - Production - If you have her sing the chorus one more time with all the layers of her voice sounding as sweet as she does, while the arrangement slowly morphs into the sub woofer (as it already does) Then you'll have an outstanding polished Pop track for radio. Also, after the second chorus, you know the part where you have a neat arpeggiated synth play for a few bars., if you have the singer sing some oohs or ahhs counter rhythmically to the arpeggiated pattern, whoa!! Do that, and you could take the listener on a ride they will never forget. Great song and production thus far.

In short - Stellar song that is currently on 3rd base, Time to steal home... Can't wait to hear the finale track.

Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

* User requested

#572450 - 26/01/08 07:38 PM
Edited at request of member - mods.

Edited by ForumModTeam (12/06/08 06:00 PM)

Conory

#572456 - 26/01/08 07:54 PM
Quote largon203:

Quote Conory:

Regards

To be fair, I'm gonna put a minimum 128 k requirement, on my Critique's. I had a quick listen and quickly determined that for me to critique this track based on a 98k mp3 was outright unfair to you, because I couldn't make out much. It sounded like a Nintendo Entertainment System was playing a MIDI, and I know thats not what you intended or delivered for that matter. So please, offer for me to Critique another one of your tracks thats at least 128k or more.
Thanks,

Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

Actually, Dave, it sounds just as bad at 128.
I was trying to do an ensemble piece using midi and GM and I got tunnel vision.

Thanks for the reality check

--------------------
www.myspace.com/conory

JimDelux

Loc: Bathgate Scotland
      #573231 - 28/01/08 11:21 PM
Can you put me into the Queue. Any time in the future will do. Thanks... what a great idea - a standard Crit format- Whoa !!!)[url= http://www.myspace.com/jimdeluxe ]Here comes santa[/url]

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: * User requested deletion *]
      #574151 - 30/01/08 11:59 PM
Quote The Nags Head:

Hi There

This is a jolly good idea! Please can you do mine when u get a sec?

It is called Slam Dunk and it is here:

http://www.chilled.tv/slamdunk.mp3

Many thanks,

NH

A - Structure - Win - Ha ha ha, what a great fun track
B - Musicality - 8 - Surprisingly well done, being a humor induced track.
C - Likability - 7 - Short and sweet, this song left me laughing (in a good way) and wanting to play it over and over. My son got a kick out of it too. I think this is a definite (albeit political) radio worthy track, for he likes of Don Imus, and NPR.
D - Emotion - 5 - I felt the humor expressed really hit a home run.
E - Mix - 10 - The mix is over all well suited for the song, I wouldn't change anything.
F - Master - 8 - The track could be a bit hotter but other than that the tone is good.
G - Production - Again I wouldn't change a thing. Well done.

In short - A true "Slam Dunk"

Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: JimDelux]
      #574162 - 31/01/08 12:26 AM
Quote JimDelux:

Can you put me into the Queue. Any time in the future will do. Thanks... what a great idea - a standard Crit format- Whoa !!!)http://www.myspace.com/jimdeluxe ]Here comes santa[/url]

A - Structure - Lose - A B A B solo on top of B, and A B or was that A? thats the problem It's hard to differentiate the two. I'm guessing the Here comes santa is the B, but I lose that perspective half way through the song.
B - Musicality - 4 - this song reminds me of an old school rock band, with rhythms that are quite generic, and lackluster builds. I respect the musicianship, but feel you leave a lot to be desired.
C - Likability - 5 - The song didn't bore me, but it also didn't make a very strong impression. However, I'm willing to bet that a lot of people will like this track due to the lyrics. They are neat and very Holiday.
D - Emotion - 3- I think one of the reasons I didn't fall for this track is because the vocal performance falls short. If you put more rock push into them you'll achieve a 5 in emotion, and perhaps a few more points in both Musicality, and Likability.
E - Mix - 7 - Over all not a bad mix. The song has a late 70's sound to it, Although it does lack some punch and sizzle, the sound over all is a good one. Hence the 7 and not a 5. Perhaps it was tracked back then?
F - Master - N/A
G - Production - Again, I think if you push a little harder on the vocal performance, and spruce up the rhythm guitars you'll have an over all better track.

In short - A cool song that has a blast from the past sound and feel. Keep Rockin

Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

#577361 - 06/02/08 09:48 PM
No Other Takers?
C'mon I don't bite.

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

Darclinc

Loc: Earth
      #577494 - 07/02/08 09:12 AM
Here's one for you, if you like :

http://www.mio.co.za/Enter%20Next%20Level.mp3

Silly Breaks, make for clowns by a clown.

Rgds,

D.

--------------------
www.thirdfloormusic.com

DoeZer

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
      #577680 - 07/02/08 02:48 PM
ok what the hell

the track is the first one Hi-Lo,
Im debating waiting to post it, cos I have some live drums ready for it which Im currently mixing in to add variety... but what the hell maybe i could get a before and after from you

http://www.myspace.com/planetdoezer

will check your stuff out soon for sure...
cheers
D

--------------------

* User requested

#578455 - 09/02/08 02:27 PM
Quote largon203:

Quote The Nags Head:

Hi There

This is a jolly good idea! Please can you do mine when u get a sec?

It is called Slam Dunk and it is here:

http://www.chilled.tv/slamdunk.mp3

Many thanks,

NH

A - Structure - Win - Ha ha ha, what a great fun track
B - Musicality - 8 - Surprisingly well done, being a humor induced track.
C - Likability - 7 - Short and sweet, this song left me laughing (in a good way) and wanting to play it over and over. My son got a kick out of it too. I think this is a definite (albeit political) radio worthy track, for he likes of Don Imus, and NPR.
D - Emotion - 5 - I felt the humor expressed really hit a home run.
E - Mix - 10 - The mix is over all well suited for the song, I wouldn't change anything.
F - Master - 8 - The track could be a bit hotter but other than that the tone is good.
G - Production - Again I wouldn't change a thing. Well done.

In short - A true "Slam Dunk"

Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

Thanks Dave! Your reviews are very well thought out and I appreciate you taking the time to do it.

Currently working on one dedicated to bacon butties. Will post soon.

* User requested

#578459 - 09/02/08 02:44 PM

Edited by ForumModTeam (12/06/08 06:01 PM)

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: Darclinc]
      #578502 - 09/02/08 05:15 PM
Quote Darclinc:

Here's one for you, if you like :

http://www.mio.co.za/Enter%20Next%20Level.mp3

Silly Breaks, make for clowns by a clown.

Rgds,

D.

A - Structure - Win - Some serious well thought out Electronica.
B - Musicality - 10 - I got to tell you, While the talent at soundclick is nothing short of amazing, they have a ton to gain from the likes of the SOS forums and members. Great show for the genre.
C - Likability - 6 - I have never been a HUGE Electronica fan, so for me to have 6 listens says something. To achieve a higher score you'd need to spruce up the depth of field a bit more.
D - Emotion - 4 - I got a mid-day drive kind of feel throughout the song. Well done.
E - Mix - 8 - To achieve a higher score in this category, have something like a percussive synth start playing way off in the distance and slowly make it's way to the front of the soundstage. If you can pull that off or something that follows suit effectively, I would raise it to a 10.
F - Master - N/A
G - See I've gone and done it. I blew my load in the mix category ;-) So now what? Nothing really. Great job overall. There isn't anything else I would suggest for this track in it's current state, perhaps if you take it a bit further as pre-mentioned in my Mix category, I'll have something more.

In short - Sit down, strap in, get ready... GO!!!

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: DoeZer]
      #578509 - 09/02/08 05:36 PM
Quote DoeZer:

ok what the hell

the track is the first one Hi-Lo,
Im debating waiting to post it, cos I have some live drums ready for it which Im currently mixing in to add variety... but what the hell maybe i could get a before and after from you

will check your stuff out soon for sure...
cheers
D

A - Structure - Win - a rhythmically catchy A section, followed by an equaly catchy groovy B, absolutely refreshing backbeat. There's something about, let me guess.... 80 bpm---160 if you like to cheat ;-) ?
B - Musicality - 8 - This is a tried and tested progression, and you employ it well, I feel however that.... I'll save it for the G spot.
C - Likability - 7.5 - I really dig the groove! you got that down pat. My G spot will explain what I feel needs to be done to kick it strait up to a 10+
D - Emotion - 5 - Woo-haa, smooth flow and genuine blues meets soul meets funk sound. Well done Doezer.
E - Mix - 8 - Man I'm starting to dislike Myspace's mp3 player, it can be real hard sometimes to to make a judgment, because there's just something that sucks about it (Myspace's player). But I feel an 8 is accurate. When the chorus kicks in things open up but I think if they were to widen up a bit more the impact would be more effective and raise your score to a 9.5-10.
F - N/A
G - OK, Now what's this "need" I feel? The track length is long and while you may want that, it doesn't need to be. This is IMHO a serious radio worthy track that would play over and over if the whole track chimed in at 3:30. There are a few ways you could go about it, and I'm not about to try and impose what I feel should go because I think it's almost all go. If it were my tune I'd probably scrap the spot s that are primarily beat only. Anyhow thats my 20 cents.

In short - An invigorating, groovy ride that makes you wanna move.

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

#578927 - 11/02/08 12:19 AM
Bump ^^
Any others?

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

DoeZer

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
      #578994 - 11/02/08 09:45 AM
hey larg...

thank you very much for the detailed critique
your comments are spot on. yes it is long. im just not sure what id chop out to shorten it, thats kind of the way it flows..!
as for teh chorus lacking some punch when it kicks in - i totally agree. am trying to remedy that right now. also a better drum track being added. then after that im just gonna leave it. im getting tired of it

thanks again for the work you putin there.. and teh formats cool too...
cheers
d

--------------------

Blink

Loc: London, UK
Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: DoeZer]
      #579049 - 11/02/08 11:30 AM
I am up for it a bit of fun

Visit our myspace (below), and listen to Sleep.

Cheers

--------------------
Is thinking about starting a new project

IvanSC

Loc: UK France & USA depending on t...
      #579059 - 11/02/08 11:47 AM
Doesnt anyone ever send you crap songs?

--------------------
Me? But I`m such a loveable old bugger!

* User requested

#579187 - 11/02/08 03:31 PM

Edited by ForumModTeam (12/06/08 06:02 PM)

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: IvanSC]
      #579210 - 11/02/08 04:22 PM
Quote IvanSC:

Doesnt anyone ever send you crap songs?

You bet... Although not really much here on SOS. I've gotten a fair amount of what I would call crap. But even sometimes when I review the crap, I can see the potential in it. Kinda like trying to see the rose that was pooped on... lol
Either way I try to stay constructive for a reason. And thus far I haven't heard anything all that bad here on SOS... yet. but if you have a read in my Critiquing thread at soundclicks' Critiques Corner, you'll see a few pretty harsh reviews where the productions were quite broken.

Cheers!

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

* User requested

#579478 - 12/02/08 09:46 AM

Edited by ForumModTeam (12/06/08 06:01 PM)

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: * User requested deletion *]
      #579592 - 12/02/08 02:23 PM
Quote The Nags Head:

Dave, I am so impressed with your critiques I have summoned up the courage to post another!

Well, this is rather interesting. Late last summer I bought a new mic. I set one up outside to record some outdoor guitar as it was such a lovely day. Perchance, I left the recorder running as I drifted off into a deep sleep (after too many Chardonnays!). Only after playing the results back later, did I notice at one point that the insects in my garden seemed to be almost playing in harmony!! It was quite remarkable - beautiful yet creepy at the same time. Like when you ring up for a take-away and the guy on the other end of the phone predicts your main course - you know what I mean? that type of thing.

I have never before played this to anyone. As always, your comments are appreciated.

http://www.chilled.tv/garden.mp3

There are many insects in my garden and quite frankly, I wish they would leave my bush alone.

A - Structure - WIN - LMAO I know I'm gonna get some serious flack for this too. My SUPER eccentric audiophile father has a vinyl album that came to mind while listening. It's a full 2 sides of some guy throwing, spinning, and banging together pots and pans between 2 high quality microphones. What a riot.
B - Musicality - 1.5 - C'mon... U know that was cute. Nice attempt to make it sound like they were in harmony, but I heard the speed lift with the pitch... I love samples.
C - Likability - 8 - Believe it or not I got 8 full listens. You captured your garden nicely... lol
D - Emotion - 5 - those lil buggers were pissed!!! LMAO
E - Mix - 10 - throughout the whole experience I was like... WHERES MY Skeeter Beeter!
F - Master - 10 - Woot! Woot!... No wait there wasn't an owl was there?
G - Production. I can deffinitely hear something like a frog coming in at :55
and maybe a snake slithering by at around 1:02 gobbling up the frog... ;-)

LOL - Twas a fun one ;-)

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

* User requested

#579704 - 12/02/08 06:46 PM

Edited by ForumModTeam (12/06/08 06:02 PM)

Conory

#580284 - 14/02/08 12:22 AM
Hi Dave (the man who never sleeps),

I'd really appreciate a critique of "Time Was" which I recorded in 2004. I did a final mix because I had a deadline even though the song wasn't finished.

Because I'm hardware based I have no means of recalling the mix and I've got 2 choices.

1. Add the extra bits and try and blend them in to the existing mix

2. Add the extra bits and do a fresh mix

1st break: I'm thinking of adding spoken words and a synth whine

2nd break to end: I'm thinking of adding spoken words

I am extremely happy with some parts and undecided about others

It's an ecological song and the last 3 minutes is a musical allegory of the Earth dying set to the relentless rhythm of the machinery that's responsible.

I've just opened up a Soundclick account so I hope this is the correct URL

web page

Thanks

--------------------
www.myspace.com/conory

RonnieG

#580467 - 14/02/08 02:05 PM
Hi Dave
Seems like a good deal so can you cast your ears on one of mine thanks.
Not to the typical tastes of most on these forums but here goes........
http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/viewtrack.php?trackid=62025

Cheers

Ronnie

--------------------
My Songs are at http://songramp.com/RonnieG

largon203

#581140 - 16/02/08 08:50 AM
Hi all, I have been hit by a nasty cold, and will be out of commission until at least monday. ... Until then, I'm off to bed... Nuthin but soup and Nyquil for a lil while.

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

* User requested

#581321 - 16/02/08 06:58 PM

Edited by ForumModTeam (12/06/08 06:03 PM)

A Non O Miss

#581333 - 16/02/08 07:38 PM
Cool man I appreciate what you are doing for others here...

Had a listen to your Toy Soldier remake, sounds pretty darn good, comes in nice....

Ill give you my 2 cents cause that's just what I do.

To me, and this is preference, the vocal seems to be pretty forward in the verses, which I like, but as soon as the bridge kicks in and then the hook the vocal seems to get hidden behind the instruments..To me the Vocal needs to come out more when everything else picks up, make it even
more dynamic...maybe .5 db or so not a lot...

Other than that the only other thing I don't really like is after the first hook when the next verse kicks in everything cuts out immediately, I would like to hear a little more of
the ambient noise carry into the next verse a little to help it mesh. It actually sounds like you split a loop or wav cause I can hear like a tick or click that shouldn't be there, more out of the left monitor, you may want to check that out.

Nice quick outro and my kind of mix, simple yet it sounds real nice. I like the added percussion, especially the cymbals, when everything picks up. Overall this is a 10, the average listener will think I am out to lunch on my advice...

Nothing I want you to check out of my own, just thought that you might like someones opinion instead of giving them all the time, take from it what you like.

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: Blink]
      #581992 - 19/02/08 01:20 AM
Quote Blink:

I am up for it a bit of fun

Visit our myspace (below), and listen to Sleep.

Cheers

Terribly sorry I missed your post. you almost slipped through the cracks.

A - Structure - Win - Very chaotically cool. As you so rightly labeled it.
B - Musicality - 8 - Very creative and unique melodies. I like your use of synths in the track as well.
C - Likability - 6 - I really enjoyed the rhythmic movement. But your vocals at times were a little out of pitch. Not a bad thing... I just thought that it took away from the piece in spots. I LOVE the part where the beat pounds in the middle. It really helps the track take off.
D - Emotion - 5 Spot on - Especially while your singing under the heavier beat.
E - Mix - 10 - Wicked!!!! POP SIZZLE PUNCH!!! and VERY Dynamic.
F - Master - 5 - I think the track could use a tilt up in the highs. Other than that. It's great.
G - Production - This tracks style is not my area of expertise. I am lost for words. Nice work.

In short - Very creative track, a must listen...

If you feel like reciprocating tell me what you think of In My Life.

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: RonnieG]
      #581994 - 19/02/08 01:33 AM
Quote RonnieG:

Hi Dave
Seems like a good deal so can you cast your ears on one of mine thanks.
Not to the typical tastes of most on these forums but here goes........
http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/viewtrack.php?trackid=62025

Cheers

Ronnie

A - Structure - Big Win (I think) - A very moving A section, seamlessly flows into a beautiful B section. The "I think" is because I didn't want it to end. Why so short?
B - Musicality - 9 - Well done. I thought you struck a chord in this reviewer.
C - Likability - 7 - Although I felt you did a wonderful job... you left me hangin with a short short short version. Make this a full legnth track and I can stamp it with an easy 10+
D - Emotion - A SOLID 5 - Well done. I was on the edge of my seat. I felt the sincerity in your voice. You meant what you sang. And it shows.
E - mix - 10 - I'm sure there aren't many on SOS that would argue with me on this score. Again very well done.
F - Master - Don't need it.
G - Production - Very simple advice here... Make it a full length song. I know simple advice, not so simple to do. But I truly believe your capable. So if your game get to it and give me a shout when it's done.

Also let me know whta you think of one of my tracks >>> www.soundclick.com/largo

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

max derelict

Loc: Kill City
      #584450 - 25/02/08 12:32 AM
here are some tracks. The first or whichever you prefer. What do you think?

http://www.reverbnation.com/maxderelict

--------------------
Cubase Studio 4.1.1 on P4 3GHz HT 2GB HDSP 9632 + AEB4-1. Cubase SE3 on Celeron D 2.66GHz 1GB RAM EMU 0404 PCI. XP SP2 Pro x 2, Wavelab Lite, Audacity 1.3, Steinberg Remix, Nero 6, freeware

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: max derelict]
      #586102 - 29/02/08 02:31 AM
Quote max derelict:

here are some tracks. The first or whichever you prefer. What do you think?

http://www.reverbnation.com/maxderelict

A - Structure - Win - Nice funk, rock, jazzy guitar mix.
B - Musicality - 7 - Good progression. But there could have been a little more in the guitar melody. The end was a bit of a collision too.
C - Likability - 4 - an interesting listen. Although the end was unsatisfying.
D - Emotion - 4.5 - I felt the end of a long day stretch emotions coming through.
E - Mix - 7 - I thought that the phaser on the drums swept up a little too high. It cause some distortion through my talkers...(speakers ) All in all though the mix seemed good.
F - Master - N/A ?
G - Production - Not my genre, so nothing came to mind. Again all in all, a cool listen... Just finnish the end.

In short - A cool kat production... worth a good few listens.

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

Would you please give feedback on my track called "My Head"
You can hear it here >>> www.soundclick.com/largo <<<

--------------------

largon203

#586314 - 29/02/08 05:17 PM
Sorry for not specifying. I reviewed your first track.

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

Tommyhell

#586433 - 29/02/08 11:23 PM
Hi,
Just started a one man project and wrote and recorded the first demo last night...
It was a quick process and since I was doing everything myself I had to cut some corners(all the lyrics are not done yet).

Anyhow, you can find it here:
www.mikseri.net/michaelstjohn

And the song is called "song for the unknown"

Thanks

MaJoR999

Loc: Berkshire
      #588620 - 07/03/08 03:47 PM
Hi

If you could kindly review my track I would be very much obliged:

Blow Your Mind

Thanks

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes... but not necessarily in the right order."

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: Tommyhell]
      #588764 - 07/03/08 11:21 PM
Quote Tommyhell:

Hi,
Just started a one man project and wrote and recorded the first demo last night...
It was a quick process and since I was doing everything myself I had to cut some corners(all the lyrics are not done yet).

Anyhow, you can find it here:
www.mikseri.net/michaelstjohn

And the song is called "song for the unknown"

Thanks

A - Structure - Win - Nice intro, verse, chorus's
B - Musicality - 10 - Wow, excellent melodies, and harmonies both in the vocals and accompaniment.
C - Likability - 10+ - I very rarely give a song a 10+ in this category, but I truly feel anyone who listens will thoroughly enjoy this songs unique character and your outstanding vocal performance.
D - Emotion - A SOLID 5 - WOW again, I love your voice man! Kinda Cornel meets a twist of Kobain and Alice and Chains. Much more Cornel though. A very difficult style to pull off.
E - Mix - 8 - Very good and dynamic, but the choice of guitar tone was a bit off IMO. Sounded like an old Korg fx pedal.
F - Master - Not need. Sounds great
G - Production - The only production thought I have is to put that heavy guitar through a POD or some software pluggin that makes the speakers move a bit more. The choice of distortion currently employed is very thin and gristley.

In short - This SOS forum never ceases to amaze me with it's unyielding Talent, IMHO you all need to listen to this track!

-Dave (Largo)

I just re-recorded a cover by the name of "Toy Soldier" Since you probably havn't heard my earlier reincarnation of it, your perspective should be interesting. Care to reciprocate?
>>> www.soundclick.com/largo <<<

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: MaJoR999]
      #588769 - 07/03/08 11:36 PM
Quote MaJoR999:

Hi

If you could kindly review my track I would be very much obliged:

Blow Your Mind

Thanks

GET READY TO RAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A - Structure - Win - I'm giving you a win because the genre is obvious. Electronca Rave.
B - Musicality - 5 - Although the track is rampant with all kinds of movement, it still lacks a lot of melodic and harmonic content.
C - Likability - 7 - In a club atmosphere I could hear this spinning.
D - Emotion - 5 - I caught the strong sense of Mania coming through.
E - Mix - 8 - A very good mix. Great detail too, I just would have liked to hear you get a bit more creative with the old anti-pot propaganda samples thats all.
F - Master - 9 - if this wasn't mastered it may not need it according to my ears. the ballance sounds good.
G - Production - I would try skipping a few of the words from the propaganda samples around, bouncing from the left to right front to back or vise/versa. I think it would push the message even further.

In short - A track that would sit well at a RAVE party... not that I've ever been to one or anything ;-)

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo
Care to reciprocate with my track called "One Nation (Digi-Generation) ?

--------------------

onesecondglance

Loc: Reading, UK
      #589899 - 11/03/08 03:50 PM
hey largon,

i'd love to hear your thoughts on this track of mine. i just can't get happy with the mix and wondered what you would suggest.

waking up in twilight

be honest! i'm not afraid... although now i say it, i am a little...

--------------------
hourglass | random thoughts | doubledotdash!? collective

DusanZ

#590062 - 11/03/08 09:55 PM
Hi,
I play guitar and from time to time record something on my PC. I am never satisfied with the sound. Here is an instrumental.

'til I die (mp3 128)

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: onesecondglance]
      #590531 - 12/03/08 10:07 PM
Quote onesecondglance:

hey largon,

i'd love to hear your thoughts on this track of mine. i just can't get happy with the mix and wondered what you would suggest.

waking up in twilight

be honest! i'm not afraid... although now i say it, i am a little...

A - Structure - Win - I like the direction of the track.
B - Musicality - 6 - A little under produced IMO, What's there seems to be good an musical, but you leave a little to be desired in the first half.
C - Likability - 5 - Again, the track progresses in an interesting manor. Though unintelligible lyrics hurt in this score. Add to that the vocals distort at times.
D - Emotion - 5 - I think you did a fine job emoting. So IMO no issues there.
E - Mix - 4 - Pretty rough mix actually. If your not sucking the low frequencies out of the drums, then you should start by soloing the drum track and using an EQ to get it sounding more BEEFY or robust. If your responsible for it... It didn't work IMO. It lacks considerably in the bass. Needs Punch and Pop. To point out a strength, I think you did alright with the guitars. although I hear a lot of finger squeak noises. Also, I think some heavy compression on the vocal would make your words come through much better. I dig the synth pad work.
F - Master - not there yet.
G - Production - I like the mood of the track overall, and think you did a fine job producing it. Although you could have added more backup vox through out the track.

In short - A good moody soft vocal track.

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: DusanZ]
      #590537 - 12/03/08 10:19 PM
Quote DusanZ:

Hi,
I play guitar and from time to time record something on my PC. I am never satisfied with the sound. Here is an instrumental.

'til I die (mp3 128)

A - Structure - Not sure actually, doesn't seem to matter too much on this track.
B - Musicality - 6 - Not bad, but over all the musical content outside of the guitars came across as Yamaha PSR-500 accompaniment generic quality to me. Not a horrible thing, but not all that creative IMO. I did like the Guitar work though.
C - Likability - 3 - Not that great of a score. But a lot of this score has to do with my not caring for the repetitiveness of the bass and drums. I'm as much of a fan of the accompaniment as I am of the lead instruments, and the acomp. falls considerably short IMHO.
D - Emotion - 3 - I didn't get much of any emotion out of it. Maybe some longing for love or something like that, but it's far from prevalent.
E - Mix - 7 - Not a bad mix, but the lead guitar was a bit low in the mix. Overall I could hear everything well, but the mix didn't breath much.
F - Master - N/A
G - Production - Try swapping the Bass guitar(keyboard sample) with a real bass, And drums with a more natural sounding kit. This would help the track out 10 fold IMO.

In short - Some well played leads, with a weak bed.

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

mrthingy

#590591 - 13/03/08 12:40 AM
hello largon203,

Good work, this is great! My only problem with it was picking which one song to ask you about...

Anyway here it is,

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/showmp3.asp?mp3id=52719

should link to a song called Sand, I'm not totally happy with it but it's a song I've started working on quiet a few times but I think I've almost got to where I want it to be aside from a few tweeks.

Looking forward to hearing what you think.

cheers

--------------------
www.myspace.com/jazzzombies

onesecondglance

#590636 - 13/03/08 08:17 AM
Quote largon203:

A - Structure - Win - I like the direction of the track.
B - Musicality - 6 - A little under produced IMO, What's there seems to be good an musical, but you leave a little to be desired in the first half.
C - Likability - 5 - Again, the track progresses in an interesting manor. Though unintelligible lyrics hurt in this score. Add to that the vocals distort at times.
D - Emotion - 5 - I think you did a fine job emoting. So IMO no issues there.
E - Mix - 4 - Pretty rough mix actually. If your not sucking the low frequencies out of the drums, then you should start by soloing the drum track and using an EQ to get it sounding more BEEFY or robust. If your responsible for it... It didn't work IMO. It lacks considerably in the bass. Needs Punch and Pop. To point out a strength, I think you did alright with the guitars. although I hear a lot of finger squeak noises. Also, I think some heavy compression on the vocal would make your words come through much better. I dig the synth pad work.
F - Master - not there yet.
G - Production - I like the mood of the track overall, and think you did a fine job producing it. Although you could have added more backup vox through out the track.

In short - A good moody soft vocal track.

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

thanks! good tips for the bass end - i lost a lot of bass trying to get the top end to shine! rookie mistake. also think you're spot on with the vox, more compression needed (perhaps a re-record, too, with better diction).

i'll take this stuff into account when i'm remixing!

btw... i like the finger squeaks!

thanks for being honest...

--------------------
hourglass | random thoughts | doubledotdash!? collective

DusanZ

#590882 - 13/03/08 05:04 PM
Well, I got some bad but healthy critics for my first thing. I'll try to be analytical when listening your songs.
Here's another instrumental recorded long ago:

999 - DusanZ

Dave Rowles

Loc: Isle of Man
Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: DusanZ]
      #591019 - 13/03/08 10:11 PM
Okay, give mine a go then!

www.exaviormusic.com

The songs under "Exavior Music Project" are mine. Obviously not wanting you to critique the desk line demo reels

Either "Did you think" or "Scream". Mystical is worth a listen but i'd prefer a critique of the other 2!

I'll give your stuff a listen when I'm more awake! hehe

--------------------
www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

DusanZ

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: Dave Rowles]
      #591469 - 14/03/08 08:50 PM
Hi Dave,
I am not expert when talking about music production and you should consider that when you read my opinion about your songs. I am not a fan of that kind of music but I think you have created your very own ambience. "Scream" is my favourite, it really has powerful chorus. Good idea, I liked the synths but it seems to me that this song was recorded just as an idea which you should work out considering primarily structure and harmony (to make song more interesting) and then sound and mix.
That was my amateurish opinion (not so analytical) about your stuff (hope you won't mind}. I think largon could give you much better clue for further work.

RegressiveRock
Just half a pint of cherryade for me

Loc: Buntingford, Herts
Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: Dave Rowles]
      #591476 - 14/03/08 09:47 PM
Quote Exavior Music:

www.exaviormusic.com

The songs under "Exavior Music Project" are mine. Obviously not wanting you to critique the desk line demo reels

Either "Did you think" or "Scream". Mystical is worth a listen but i'd prefer a critique of the other 2!

Sorry to hijack the crits here, but I can hear some love of music hear and some use of good technique.

Snare and kick are critical to this kind of music and both need more love... ... :::: The snare is flat and the kick lacks pump. Tweak both. You quite obviously can!!!

With kindest regards,

Reg

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: RegressiveRock]
      #591561 - 15/03/08 09:16 AM
Quote RegressiveRock:

Quote Exavior Music:

www.exaviormusic.com

Sorry to hijack the crits here, but I can hear some love of music hear and some use of good technique.

Snare and kick are critical to this kind of music and both need more love... ... :::: The snare is flat and the kick lacks pump. Tweak both. You quite obviously can!!!

With kindest regards,

Reg

Nah, no sweat Reg, My whole purpose is to help, And when a well played and emoted track comes across and strikes your ear, I can respect and appreciate it. Even if my ear disagrees. Not saying my ear disagrees whatsoever, because I haven't even heard his track yet. It's late... or early rather.. where I'm from. So I'll go ahead and review those who have been waiting later today (Saturday) After I get some sleep. I've been out. Celebrating some cool news.
Read my next post if your interested in my cool news.

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

#591563 - 15/03/08 09:20 AM
Things have gotten a bit hectic on my end. Not saying I'm gonna be stopping my review threads by any means. Just saying I do have to slow it down a bit. Will probably start restricting the amount of review requests I allow at a time.
I have an announcement to make in regards to my all time favorite hobby/ 2nd job. For the past 7 years I have been offering Mac & PC support for an accredited musical school and several other businesses here in new england at a reasonable rate.
I'm as of monday.
Going to be doing the same thing, only this time as a Mac Genius at the genius bar at my local Apple store.
Yes I am and have always been a die hard Apple Kool-aid drinking Mac first, and PC 2nd nerd since day 1. While I've used reel to reel, and tape. My first real rig for recording was a Powermac 7100 A/V That I not only dove into, but eventually modified with pruning shears, and a 5 inch fan. I had a ball toying with Mods on 4 of the 9 Macs I've owned. 4 of which I still own today. IDK, I've just always been a mac lover. And now finale, I'm going to be working for the company that gave all of us the ability to make all of what we do each day on this here internet possible. Yea Microsoft brought it to the masses, but Apple invented the concept. What an honor IMO to work for them. I can't wait to start.
Either way for all of you other Mac enthusiasts, Don't even bother asking any questions. I signed an agreement, and Will NEVER EVER tell, what ever Top Secret thing I learn about. Non Disclosure that I Won't Ever break. My wife wont even know until I own it. What ever it would be.

So now what?

Nothings changed at the moment, let the reviews continue. When things get bogged, I'll let yall know.
Big Thank You's to EVERYONE who have respected my opinions, and putting up with my @$$.So....
let the reviews continue.

-Dave (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

Dave Rowles

Loc: Isle of Man
Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: RegressiveRock]
      #591673 - 15/03/08 05:57 PM
Quote RegressiveRock:

Quote Exavior Music:

www.exaviormusic.com

With kindest regards,

Reg

Cool! Thanks for the comments. I'll have another go at it I understand the structure comment. Sometimes I listen back to it and think "yeah, that's a nice groove, gotta let it run on a bit" and sometimes I think "hmm...it needs a change".

Thanks again! All comments help me to think about what I'm doing

--------------------
www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

mrMRKelly

Loc: Colchester, England
      #593083 - 19/03/08 04:45 PM
Me me me me!

Could i have a go please??

Just posted a track up - "One Peace" and "How to boil an egg" it would be cool if you could have a listen to either and give me a review! Cheers!

Matt

www.myspace.com/mrmrkelly

--------------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/MRKuk http://www.reverbnation.com/mattkdrums

CushT

#594769 - 24/03/08 02:27 PM
bonsoir. abit of critique wouldnt go a miss at www.myspace.com/djcusht

if you feel like abit of hiphop check track 1. or if you fancy some slightly odd 90s breaks, check track 2.

FAAAANX!

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: mrthingy]
      #594902 - 24/03/08 08:30 PM
Quote mrthingy:

hello largon203,

Good work, this is great! My only problem with it was picking which one song to ask you about...

Anyway here it is,

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/showmp3.asp?mp3id=52719

should link to a song called Sand, I'm not totally happy with it but it's a song I've started working on quiet a few times but I think I've almost got to where I want it to be aside from a few tweeks.

Looking forward to hearing what you think.

cheers

A - Structure - Near win - Not bad, but you lost me at the in-audible seemingly over long verse. When things quieted down later in the track, things got more creative, but still lack some formulaic coherency. Over all though, the track deserves a good lot of merit for the creativity employed.
B - Musicality - 8 - Again although it lacked coherency, it was quite original. And the melodies, and rhythms were good.
C - Likability - 4 - The vocals IMO were not only weakly performed, they were also in-audible. I have no idea what you were saying (singing). Another subtracting factor IMO was the mix. In particular, the drum mix.
D - Emotion - 2 - This category weighs heavily on the vocal performance, And I felt you failed to get a performance that yielded much emotion.
E - Mix - 4 - With a poor drum mix, it's difficult to mix the track as a whole. Kind of follows the whole needs a solid foundation of Drums and bass, for the house to stay up, and strong.
F - Master - Not ready IMO
G - Production - I felt you did fine in this category. Just need to get the mix in order. The Snare and kick seem ok. But the cymbals and hi-hat seem either too loud or EQed to stick out too much. The vocals need some heavy compression, and a bit of a mid scoop to make them cut, at least to the point where I can hear what your saying.

In short - An interesting and original concept that needs some coherency.

-Dave Katsikas
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

#594908 - 24/03/08 08:47 PM
Quote DusanZ:

Well, I got some bad but healthy critics for my first thing. I'll try to be analytical when listening your songs.
Here's another instrumental recorded long ago:

999 - DusanZ

A - Structure - Win - A good metallic, easy listening blend.
B - Musicality - 8 - I specifically liked the harmonic leads, and ambient vocals. The drums and bass guitar were a very good support for the track too.
C - Likability - 5 - Overall quite likable, I can hear a good vocal lead part kicking this track up to an 8+ in this category as well.
D - Emotion - 4 - This is a great score considering there is no real lyrical content yet. The ripping lead was a very well played contributing factor.
E - Mix - 9 - Very well done mix. However the 9 can easily drop to a 6- if you're not careful mixing in the vocals should you add any. I especially liked the tone and dynamics of the drums, and Slap Bass. Very cool, and fresh sounding.
F - Master - May not need one. Sounds great by my ears.
G - Production - I'd say the track so far gets an A on my Production report card ;-) I liked for the most part all of it. But that said, there wasn't much that made me want to play it over and over, and over again.

In short - A Super tight, metallic rock instrumental, with nice precise leads. Well Done. Suggested listen.

-Dave Katsikas
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

#594922 - 24/03/08 09:17 PM
Quote Exavior Music:

www.exaviormusic.com

"Scream" It is.

A - Structure - Win - Cool intro, with a good bass line. Kinda weak verse (vocally) , with a not so weak, yet somewhat incoherent chorus.
B - Musicality - 6 - The good moving bass lines helped this track a lot. The drums are a bit out of time. To much Yin, not enough yang ;-). The vocals get very confusing in the chorus and hurt this category as well as the next category.
C - Likability - 4 - The distorted guitars are very sustained, and leave a lot to be desired IMO throughout the track. As an add, you could chop em up a bit with a more chuggy sounding rhythm.
D - Emotion - 4 - I got confusion out of the chorus, and a bit of depression out of the verses. I'm not so sure the confusion element was deliberate or not. Either way, I feel you could do better with the vocals. So a 4 it is.
E - Mix - The track as a whole is at about a 7 - The drums are good, but lack some punch. I'd go a little heavier on the compression in the drums myself. But to be fair they don't need it, just a personal preference. The vocals in the chorus, could be better mixed too IMO. Perhaps if you mixed the delays to be far left and right, and kept the main lyric in the center it may come across better.
F - Master - All in all not a bad sound. Maybe a light push would be in order, as well as a high frequency boost.
G - Production - Again the chorus may be over produced, a good vocal mix may fix it though. Outside of that issue things seem good.

In short - A good alt rock track, that IMO needs a punchier drum mix, and more coherent vocal mix.

-Dave Katsikas
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: mrMRKelly]
      #594927 - 24/03/08 09:30 PM
Quote mrMRKelly:

Me me me me!

Could i have a go please??

Just posted a track up - "One Peace" and "How to boil an egg" it would be cool if you could have a listen to either and give me a review! Cheers!

Matt

www.myspace.com/mrmrkelly

A - Structure - Win - Seeing that you gave it the appropriate genre listing of - Other/Breakbeat.
B - Musicality - 8 - Very good considering the genre. I've not heard much in the area of the Breakbeats Genre. That said, I thought your track was very original and interesting.
C - Likability - 5 - Not being familiar with the genre, I feel a 5 is in order. I would guess that those into this genre would like the variety, and creativity employed.
D - Emotion - 5 - I got a bit of anxiety, mixed with a wave of Strange. Not a bad thing either. Translates as very original and interesting.
E - Mix - 6 - The mix was good in that I could hear everything equally. The problem is though, Nothing has LIFE to it. To give a better explanation, everything is VERY STARK sounding. No real dynamics. All one volume. The Myspace decoder may have contributed to that though. (I hate Myspace's audio decoder)
F - Master - N/A
G - Production - This track way out of my genre, Hence, I have nothing.

In short - A very interesting Breakbeat track, in need of more dynamics.

-Dave Katsikas
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

DusanZ

#594929 - 24/03/08 09:31 PM
Thanks for really useful comments Largo. I have few more things on soundclick and myspace so if you spare some time you could take a listen

my station

Your things are really good, The Digi Generation is real hit! I am still amateur and I think that my comments can't be useful to you.
Best regards!

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: CushT]
      #594939 - 24/03/08 09:44 PM
Quote CushT:

if you feel like abit of hiphop check track 1. or if you fancy some slightly odd 90s breaks, check track 2.

FAAAANX!

"Hip hop thing in process"

A - Structure - Lose - :45 was when the beat kicked in, a bit of a long wait IMO For Hip Hop. Also, I would have called it more of a Trip Hop feel. It doesn't Progress all that well Formulaically either.
B - Musicality - 6 - Plenty of 'lectronic ****ery going on, but not enough musical content (IMO).
C - Likability - 3 - I'm not sure why, but I wasn't digging the track Beginning to end, When you've developed it more give me another go... ok?
D - Emotion - 3 - I got a mentally drained feel out of the track. Like what you experience after a long night of Partying. Or the morning their after.
E - Mix - 8 - Good bass bump, the drums were good and tight as well. The musical content that was there seemed well placed.
F - Master - 8 - Needs a bit of a high frequency boost to lift the dark sound out of the track.
G - Production - This is another one that's outside of my field of proficiency. Over all I would add some more musical content, but then again what do I know ;-)

In short - A slow, rhythmically rich piece of Trip Hop, Than needs a bit more in the musical category. Still worth a good listen though.

-Dave Katsikas
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

CushT

#594996 - 24/03/08 11:53 PM
yeah, thats a thing from a while back. you are right with many of the comments, and have confirmed afew things i was thinking about it... so thanks for the feedback

Quote largon203:

Quote CushT:

FAAAANX!

"Hip hop thing in process"

A - Structure - Lose - :45 was when the beat kicked in, a bit of a long wait IMO For Hip Hop. Also, I would have called it more of a Trip Hop feel. It doesn't Progress all that well Formulaically either.
B - Musicality - 6 - Plenty of 'lectronic ****ery going on, but not enough musical content (IMO).
C - Likability - 3 - I'm not sure why, but I wasn't digging the track Beginning to end, When you've developed it more give me another go... ok?
D - Emotion - 3 - I got a mentally drained feel out of the track. Like what you experience after a long night of Partying. Or the morning their after.
E - Mix - 8 - Good bass bump, the drums were good and tight as well. The musical content that was there seemed well placed.
F - Master - 8 - Needs a bit of a high frequency boost to lift the dark sound out of the track.
G - Production - This is another one that's outside of my field of proficiency. Over all I would add some more musical content, but then again what do I know ;-)

In short - A slow, rhythmically rich piece of Trip Hop, Than needs a bit more in the musical category. Still worth a good listen though.

-Dave Katsikas
www.soundclick.com/largo

largon203

#598939 - 02/04/08 06:10 PM
Quote DusanZ:

I am still amateur and I think that my comments can't be useful to you.
Best regards!

I want to say thanks...kind of, But not really. I mean... I appreciate your kind words and all, but, A lot of the time it's the less experienced opinion I seek. I couldn't disagree with you more. Ok, maybe I might have a (in some peoples opinion) better way to mix, or texture the sound, but I'm sure their are many who would and will disagree with that. Not to mention when I mix, I'm mixing for the average listener, not necessarily the trained, magical ear/gear heads that are out there. So I do want your opinion, and don't berate it either.
IMHO all your opinions count.
How else are we supposed to get our material heard and honed in to begin with. And once we have, are we gonna try and sell it to the few we have shared it with already? Ok, some may bite, but I'm not banking on it. I'm not banking on much really, just trying to get my recordings to a point where the average Joe or Jane can pop it in, and groove/bounce/headbang/sway/whatever your verb may be.

-Dave Katsikas
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

boymarsh

Loc: Glasgow
      #598962 - 02/04/08 06:53 PM
Hello,

I would appreciate some feedback on this song, if you have the time

http://www.faithfulnarrator.com/ex/untothis.mp3

Cheers

Stu

--------------------
www.soundcloud.com/theinsideeye

Bardo69

Loc: Sunny California
Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: boymarsh]
      #602947 - 11/04/08 05:57 PM
Are you still open for reviews Largon?
Follow my link below to a song called"SayGoodbye"
It's a instrumental.
What songs of yours would you like reviewed?

Bardo

--------------------
http://www.imusicscene.com/bardo/

PWGLE

Loc: UK - Cardiff/Bath
Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: Bardo69]
      #603049 - 12/04/08 12:52 AM
Hey Large, I've watched this thread on and off over the last few months. Would you be interested in reviewing one of our tracks?

http://www.onecowmedia.com/dumpbox/tyo.mp3

(mp3, vbr)

Let me know which of your tracks you'd like me to have a listen too, All the best, Lau

--------------------
P.I.G.L.E.T - where is polly?

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: PWGLE]
      #603069 - 12/04/08 03:59 AM
Hello everyone,
I will try to get caught up with this thread Sunday Evening EST USA time. I've been busy getting acclimated to my new job (yea I have one of those and I'm loving it) graciously @ Apple until then....(Sunday)
I have tons of training coming in the next few weeks, as well and things will be a bit bogged down on my end. Keep the requests coming, and I'll chop at em a few at a time.
Thanks for sharing all your music too. I appreciate how everyone is willing to share the talents & musicianship I see (hear ) in the SOS forums.

-Dave Katsikas (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: boymarsh]
      #603797 - 14/04/08 03:07 PM
Quote boymarsh:

Hello,

Cheers

Stu

A - Structure - Win - Very interesting onset, She has a good voice too.
B - Musicality - 7 - Not bad, but I think it's lacking "the memorable factor" Just a bit. Over all not bad though.
C - Likability - 6 - I did like the track. Kinda cranberries at points, But your choice of melody, and harmony did help steer it away from them. Good choice. (Not saying I dislike the Cranberries... Quit the Contrary)
D - Emotion - 4 - I felt you delivered a good performance, but it does come across a bit layed back. If that's what you were after... you nailed it. If not, give a little more push.
E - Mix - 8 - Hmmm... At times your voice was buried in the mix. Didn't sound bad, but I lost what you were saying. Not a bad mix over all though.
F - Master - Maybe a minor vollume boost.
G - Production - I have no ideas. nice job in this category as is... Maybe make the electric guitars a wee bit less harsh. Like pull a DB or so of 1k out of them using a bell with a tight Q.

In short - An interesting alt pop track, with good vocal color.

-Dave Katsikas (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo
www.myspace.com/largodigigenration

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: Bardo69]
      #603798 - 14/04/08 03:10 PM
Quote Bardo69:

Are you still open for reviews Largon?
Follow my link below to a song called"SayGoodbye"
It's a instrumental.
What songs of yours would you like reviewed?

Bardo

Hmmm.... I tried to listen to your track, but to be fair the compression is too low, Sounds like I'm listening through an AM radio. Put the song up on Soundclick.com or one of the many others that are out there, and I'd be glad to review it.
-Dave Katsikas (Largo)

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: PWGLE]
      #603805 - 14/04/08 03:22 PM
Quote PWGLE:

Hey Large, I've watched this thread on and off over the last few months. Would you be interested in reviewing one of our tracks?

(mp3, vbr)

Let me know which of your tracks you'd like me to have a listen too, All the best, Lau

A - Structure - WIN - Very nice groove! I could potentially hear this spinning in Da Club.
B - Musicality - 8 - Although there aren't a lot of musical elements to this piece, It gets a high score due to your choice and placement of the melodies you employed. Good job.
C - Likability - 9 - Very easy to listen to, and has a pop value. A few minor hokey sounding lyrics in the beginning (Fee,Fi,Fo,Fumm ) It's cool though, seeing the track has a bit of a gotta go get some attitude to it. LOL, makes me laugh a bit. Want the 10 in this category? Then, add a more memorable hook that interplays between the girls part.
D - Emotion - 5 - Well done, I got it.
E - Mix - 10 - Great mix here. I hear everything quit well. All it needs is a dynamic push across the whole track with a Mastering Compressor (Multiband) IMO.
F - Master - Just some mid drop bass, and some high end sparkl. Perhaps a taste of mid pop too. But It's ready for this stage Either way you take it.

In short - A fresh track that's just about ready for the dance floor.

-Dave Katsikas (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

boymarsh

#603985 - 14/04/08 11:57 PM
Quote largon203:

Quote boymarsh:

Hello,

Cheers

Stu

B - Musicality - 7 - Not bad, but I think it's lacking "the memorable factor" Just a bit. Over all not bad though.
C - Likability - 6 - I did like the track. Kinda cranberries at points, But your choice of melody, and harmony did help steer it away from them. Good choice. (Not saying I dislike the Cranberries... Quit the Contrary)
D - Emotion - 4 - I felt you delivered a good performance, but it does come across a bit layed back. If that's what you were after... you nailed it. If not, give a little more push.
E - Mix - 8 - Hmmm... At times your voice was buried in the mix. Didn't sound bad, but I lost what you were saying. Not a bad mix over all though.
G - Production - I have no ideas. nice job in this category as is... Maybe make the electric guitars a wee bit less harsh. Like pull a DB or so of 1k out of them using a bell with a tight Q.

-Dave Katsikas (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

Hey, thanks for the feedback, it's useful to hear those kind of things, and good of you to put so much of your time into this thread.

Happy to reciprocate - is there any particular song you want feedback on or should i pick one at random?

Cheers

Stu

--------------------

largon203

#603989 - 15/04/08 12:14 AM
Quote largon203:

Quote PWGLE:

(mp3, vbr)

Check out My Head.
www.soundclick.com/largo
I've been thinking of re-doing ALL my songs as an unplugged album. Just my voice and a piano.

--------------------

largon203

#603993 - 15/04/08 12:26 AM
Quote boymarsh:

Quote largon203:

Quote boymarsh:

Hello,

Cheers

Stu

-Dave Katsikas (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

Hey, thanks for the feedback, it's useful to hear those kind of things, and good of you to put so much of your time into this thread.

Happy to reciprocate - is there any particular song you want feedback on or should i pick one at random?

Cheers

Stu

My Head please = www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

Sty

Loc: São Paulo - Brazil
      #604433 - 15/04/08 11:24 PM
Is this thread still UP?

I didnt know about this thread , so nice

I want join!

thanx

--------------------
Some of my 3D work:
www.ronaldo3d.com

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: Sty]
      #604448 - 16/04/08 12:49 AM
So tell me what you want reviewed Sty...
-Dave Katsikas (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

boymarsh

#604910 - 16/04/08 08:16 PM
Ok, I'll give you my opinion on 'My Head'. I'll try and do it in your own format:

Structure - Win - great dynamics, good start and end, nice little quiet bit in the middle.
Musicality - 7 Nu Metal isnt really my favourite genre, so my opinion is going to be somewhat coloured. Although it's far from being generic, and it has a memorable chorus, it's doesnt have that unique factor grabbing me.
Likeability - Having said that, i still like it. It sounds like it would be a fairly good rock club type song, although it's not something i would put on my mp3 player for general rotation.
Emotion - 8 The emotion comes through really well. It's a good vocal performance.
Mix/Production - 8 I've listened on headphones and on my monitors in my rather crappy room. On the whole it sounds excellent, i really like the guitar sound, but there's something about the vocal sound that's lacking. The quality is excellent, and everything is legible, but there sounds to me to be slightly over smooth and creamy, without that kind of upper lift, so it sounds a bit in the background. That's kind of the best way i can describe it, like it should have more of a head and less of a chest sound, only from an eq point of view rather than vocal performance. For vocal reference, I AB'd it with digging the grave by faith no more. I am being picky though, it sounds great on the whole.
Master:Yoda. Seriously though, i dont know enough about mastering techniques to comment except to say that it sounds good to me
Summary - a good, well produced piece of rock, which makes up in dynamics and energy for what it lacks in uniqueness. Like enriched uranium.

I hope that was useful

Cheers

Stu

--------------------

necromunger

#605760 - 18/04/08 08:37 PM
what do i sound like the then?
http://www.myspace.com/666terrorcore

ps the tracks are not new and was done around 4 years ago

i should also say that the boops has foul language start to end

necro

Edited by necromunger (18/04/08 08:52 PM)

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: necromunger]
      #606277 - 20/04/08 07:41 PM
Quote necromunger:

what do i sound like the then?
http://www.myspace.com/666terrorcore

ps the tracks are not new and was done around 4 years ago

i should also say that the boops has foul language start to end

necro

"Soundwave"

A - Structure - Win - Sounds like some tight Electronica!
B - Musicality - 8 - Good use of samples in the beginning. But as the track progresses @ about 1:50 things get very repetitive through the mid section to about 3:20. The chipmonk thing is weird but unique. Over all very original but not my cup of tea.
C - Likability - 3 - I could personally barely stomach 1 play. But some may find it enjoyable.
D - Emotion - 5 - Utter chaos. If that's what you were after, you nailed it.
E - Mix - 6 - Although you may have achieved a 8+. Myspace is tough to rate. Yucky D/A decoding.
F - Master - Again tough to rank on myspace.
G - Production - C+ IMO you over used the kick drum samples. Way too repetitive IMO. The other elements were well done, and again very original. But not to my taste. Kudo's for yours though.

In short - A VERY industrial electronica collage of Chaos.

-Dave Katsikas (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

necromunger

#606282 - 20/04/08 08:18 PM

thanks for your input.
necro

Alice Sweet Alice

Loc: Maine, USA
      #606758 - 21/04/08 10:57 PM
Would love you to critique "What A Lonely Day"

http://www.myspace.com/asweetalice

Thank you!

Stuart Churchill

Loc: Wales
      #607011 - 22/04/08 03:31 PM
How about this?

Another lonely, lonely Christmas

--------------------
Birthday Song 4 U. Personalised Birthday Songs

Spiked Lunch

#607398 - 23/04/08 01:41 PM
I wouldnt mind some criticism of the track 'Needle Scars' www.myspace.com/thedeadsignals

I'm in the middle of writing some new stuff in a similar vein ( ) and plan on remixing this track soon. It would be good to know what people think - I've only had feedback of two people, one loved it and the other hated it!

I'm hoping to put a band together in the coming months...

--------------------
my music

largon203

#607616 - 24/04/08 05:32 AM
Hello everyone,
I'm posting to let you all know that due to my new busy schedule I'll be doing all my reviews both here and on soundclick from Sunday noon untill Sunday evening from now on. So feel free to drop your request here in this thread, and I'll be sure to get to them on Sundays.
Thanks,
-Dave Katsikas (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

thefruitfarmer

Loc: Kent UK
      #608874 - 27/04/08 02:35 PM
Have a listen to "The Indelible" here (third song down).

I would appreciate any feedback you can give.

Thanks.

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: Alice Sweet Alice]
      #609411 - 28/04/08 09:11 PM
Quote Alice Sweet Alice:

Would love you to critique "What A Lonely Day"

http://www.myspace.com/asweetalice

Thank you!

A - Structure - Near Win - Very sombre and melodic verse. But, it's lacking a climactic chorus section. She opens up nicely at the end with those soaring vocals, but I can hear a Kick @$$ chorus in this.
B - Musicality - 6.5 - Good texturing, and arrangement. I really enjoyed the musicality of the piece. I was going to score it an 8 but their are a few spots that seem to be out of time. Mainly in the drums.
C - Likability - 4 - I think the semi-low score is due to the speed in which the track develops. It needs more to keep me interested.
D - Emotion - 5 - She did a fine job.
E - Mix - 2 - Ouch, The bass guitar has way too much bottom. And the kick drum is almost completely buried. Try to roll the subsonics out of the bass with a high pass filter set at about 60 - 80 hz on the bass. then you'll be able to raise the volume a bit. I almost like it, but I can only imagine how boomy it sounds on a cheap multimedia setup.
F - Master - Not ready
G - Production - I have no ideas. All in all I'd rate it a B+.

In short - A well sung Alt mild rock track, with some mix woe's

-Dave Katsikas (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: Stuart Churchill]
      #609417 - 28/04/08 09:29 PM
Quote stuart churchill:

How about this?

A - Structure - Win - For the genre "Christmas songs" It's a fine structure.
B - Musicality - 4 - While you get the message across well with the lyrics, the musical side of things is very generic, and empty. As an add try a organ in the background or add an acoustic guitar strummed to add some more texture.
C - Likability - 3 - I love Christmas, but this track doesn't really reach out and grab me. I think it may be due to the arrangements' seemingly generic presentation. It's hard to be honest and diplomatic sometimes, But as I said I say it how I hear it.
D - Emotion - 7 - I got the emotion you were trying to get across, but it seemed a bit forced. Like 1950's style over exaggeration.
E - Mix - 6 - While everything is well under control, I didn't hear any magic in the mix. The drums seem very generic as well as the bass and guitars... All very safe sounding. Not a bad thing, but not all that special either.
F - Master - Not ready.
G - Production - C- - Ok, the drums could be spruced up considerably with a more natural flow & sound. Right now they sound like real drums, but tamed way down, and almost like a high quality drum machine. The guitars come across as a part written to be non existent. While they're there they really aren't doing all that much. Needs a more comprehensive Rhythm that helps lock them in with the bass guitar and drums. The rest... It's a Christmas song for goodness sake, add some Bells... LOL
But seriously, Add a synth, organ, bells, or what ever tickles your fancy. It needs more to cement things. Just my 10 cents.

in short - A in it's current state, very generic Christmas track.

-Dave Katsikas (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: Spiked Lunch]
      #609421 - 28/04/08 09:40 PM
Quote Mike Lynch:

I wouldnt mind some criticism of the track 'Needle Scars' www.myspace.com/thedeadsignals

I'm in the middle of writing some new stuff in a similar vein ( ) and plan on remixing this track soon. It would be good to know what people think - I've only had feedback of two people, one loved it and the other hated it!

I'm hoping to put a band together in the coming months...

A - Structure - Big Win - Totally dig the intro, verse, and the chorus. Cool Staccato effect.
B - Musicality - 8 - Very neat style, yet somewhat out of tune to my ears. It actually add some character to the track, so IMO it's not an issue. I can hear some heavy rectified guitars in the chorus to kick it up 10 notches though.
C - Likability - 5 - This category could be much higher if you create a better climax in the chorus. It's real good as is, but could be great.
D - Emotion - 5 - I like your vocal style, quit original.
E - Mix - 7 - The drum mix is a bit bloated sounding. Try sucking a wee bit of 500hz out of them to sit a little better. And perhaps a little bit of 1k... both with a bell filter and a somewhat tight Cue.
F - Master - May not need one, I like the current ballance outside of the drums.
G - Production - Just those heavy guitars I mentioned earlier. It would really contrast the Chorus with an awesome twist.

In short - A really good Alt Rock track! Recommended.

-Dave Katsikas (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: thefruitfarmer]
      #609425 - 28/04/08 09:49 PM
Quote thefruitfarmer:

Have a listen to "The Indelible" here (third song down).

I would appreciate any feedback you can give.

Thanks.

A - Structure - Lose - To me it just doesn't work, A very twisted blend of Hiphop and rap... Sorry Mate, I just don't think it works.
B - Musicality - 5 - It suffers from a bad case of "RLS" No real comprehensive melody either.
C - Likability - 3 - Again, I'm just not feeling it.
D - Emotion - 1 - This is a huge subtractive factor to the track. Other MC's get 1 and you get 10???? Not from me. I heard a plethora of weak and at times Super Hokey lyrics that IMHO didn't work.
E - Mix - ? - Sometimes I can make a judgment but Myspace isn't doing you any justice.
F - ? - Same as above... hard to tell.
G - Production - I would have gone a completely differant direction, so I have no Ideas.

In short - An IMO weak attempt at English Rap. I LOVE the UK, but this one isn't for me.

-Dave Katsikas (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

thefruitfarmer

Loc: Kent UK
      #609516 - 29/04/08 07:51 AM

Thanks for your comments....all useful.

"my head" from your myspace...

a. Song Structure. Win / Lose

Win. There is enough variation to keep interest.

b. Musicality 0-10

Strong melodies and the arrangement flows nicely through the sections. The right amount of sounds at any one time.

c. Likability (How many time I could bare to listen) 3-10

I played through your myspace tracks until this one jumped out. It reminds me of "System of a Down". I played it 5 times before I wanted to hear something else.

d. Emotion 0-10 (0 being none what-so ever, and 10 being Give me a break, way overdone. 5 is well done.)

My impression is that it needs a little more passion...

4?

e. Mix 1-10 with explanation

....listening on computer speakers so can't really tell beyond saying the mix is good enough to hear everything and I like the dynamic variation.

audioartist

Loc: herts
Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: thefruitfarmer]
      #609779 - 29/04/08 05:15 PM
would like to have my songwriting coursework critiqued

cheers

lew

www.myspace.com/audioartistrecording

Spiked Lunch

#609977 - 30/04/08 09:27 AM
Thanks for the review Dave, you made some good points. I might try a distorted bassline in the chorus as I think the final verse may sound a little empty if the guitars came in with hi-gain crunch for the chorus.

Here is a review of your track – ‘A Minds Eye’

A - Structure – Win!! – great structure, I love all the stop/start drum & bass changes in the verse. All comes together for a big fat catchy chorus.

B - Musicality - 7 – The song reminds me of a poppy incubus, the drums are excellent and the timing is spot on. I really don’t like the auto-tune/pitch shift effect on the vocals and backing vocals. I think the track would be much better without it. I also don’t like the piano – perhaps some warped, crunchy, digital sounding synth parts might be better?

C - Likability - 7 - Very catchy chorus! Tight, interesting stop/start verse. I just think the pitch shift vox and the piano let the song down.

D - Emotion - 4 – it would be 5, its just the auto-tune/pitching detracts from the emotion, for me.

E - Mix - 7 – I think the bass sounds a little sterile, it could do with sounding a little moor ‘cooked’ in my opinion. Drums could perhaps be a little louder? I’m really not a fan of the piano. There are some high freq distortions on the cymbals and dist guitar but I imagine that this due to the myspace player.

F - Master – overall balance sounds good.

G - Production – I guess that I’ve already covered this. On the whole things sound very good and tight, just a few issues that would change the track from being good to excellent.

In short – tight, catchy, poppy, modern rock song! Good stuff!

--------------------
my music

Stuart Churchill

Loc: Wales
      #610261 - 30/04/08 07:31 PM
Quote largon203:

Quote stuart churchill:

How about this?

A - Structure - Win - For the genre "Christmas songs" It's a fine structure.
B - Musicality - 4 - While you get the message across well with the lyrics, the musical side of things is very generic, and empty. As an add try a organ in the background or add an acoustic guitar strummed to add some more texture.
C - Likability - 3 - I love Christmas, but this track doesn't really reach out and grab me. I think it may be due to the arrangements' seemingly generic presentation. It's hard to be honest and diplomatic sometimes, But as I said I say it how I hear it.
D - Emotion - 7 - I got the emotion you were trying to get across, but it seemed a bit forced. Like 1950's style over exaggeration.
E - Mix - 6 - While everything is well under control, I didn't hear any magic in the mix. The drums seem very generic as well as the bass and guitars... All very safe sounding. Not a bad thing, but not all that special either.
F - Master - Not ready.
G - Production - C- - Ok, the drums could be spruced up considerably with a more natural flow & sound. Right now they sound like real drums, but tamed way down, and almost like a high quality drum machine. The guitars come across as a part written to be non existent. While they're there they really aren't doing all that much. Needs a more comprehensive Rhythm that helps lock them in with the bass guitar and drums. The rest... It's a Christmas song for goodness sake, add some Bells... LOL
But seriously, Add a synth, organ, bells, or what ever tickles your fancy. It needs more to cement things. Just my 10 cents.

in short - A in it's current state, very generic Christmas track.

-Dave Katsikas (Largo)
www.soundclick.com/largo

Dave,
Thanks for the review. There was an organ in the mix previously, but I took it out, I thought it made the mix sound cluttered. I'll put it back and maybe you'd like to hear it again?
Stuart.

--------------------
Birthday Song 4 U. Personalised Birthday Songs

TheButler

#610374 - 30/04/08 11:30 PM
Here is a link to my myspace for badly mixed, thin and melody-lacking ambient music

www.myspace.com/linescreen

The first song, The Phonometrician Take 2 is based on Satie's Sarabandes. The others are just somewhat mediocre attempts at creating ambient music.

I'm pretty critical of myself, but other people's opinions are always valued

Thanks for your time,

jamie

Edited by TheButler (30/04/08 11:32 PM)

polysemicnick

Loc: UK
      #610776 - 01/05/08 09:20 PM
Hi i would like some feedback on track 1 ( soultrance) and two ( coming out of the dark)
http://www.myspace.com/nickgoodmusic

Thanks alot in advance

BigElectricCat

Loc: South Korea
      #615274 - 14/05/08 02:41 AM
I think it's really cool that you're doing this. If you have the time, I'd really appreciate it if you'd give me some feedback on She don't Want Me at

http://www.soundclick.com/gjay

It's a live recording.

Cheers,

Tony

--------------------
The Primary - Official Site
Download our EP - Name your price!

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: audioartist]
      #615972 - 15/05/08 06:01 PM
Quote audioartist:

would like to have my songwriting coursework critiqued

cheers

lew

A - Structure - Win - Very well done. And very good songwriting skills too.
B - Musicality - 9 - I like your choice of melody and rhythm. Good job overall.
C - Likability - 6 - Good song all around, but it is lacking that IMO super memorable factor.
D - Emotion - 4 - I think you could have pushed a bit harder in spots. Not the verses, they're great. More so in the choruses. "We don't know"
E - Mix - 7 - Good dynamics, pop, and punch. But the sizzle is weak. Most likely due to myspace, but it's worth noting.
F - Master - Other than the sizzle loss, it's perfect. I wouldn't master if it sounds better off of myspace.
G - Production - Some vocal counterpoint would be cool under the vocals at the end. Other than that I have no ideas.

In short - A good example of good songwriting skills. Worth a good listen.

-Dave Katsikas
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: TheButler]
      #615977 - 15/05/08 06:09 PM
Quote TheButler:

Here is a link to my myspace for badly mixed, thin and melody-lacking ambient music

www.myspace.com/linescreen

The Phonometrician Take 2

A - Structure - Win - The track meanders a bit, but I think it works.
B - Musicality - 10 - I hear how careful you are with clashing notes, through the sustain. Very well performed.
C - Likability - 7 - Could unwind to this.
D - Emotion - 4 - It's sort of like a long day explained through music.
E - Mix - 8 - I think the reverb is a bit much, but not destructive. Over all good.
F - Master - Doesn't need it.
G - Production - A - Good job.

In short - Nice and relaxing piano that's bound to wind you down... Recommended listen.

-Dave Katsikas
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: polysemicnick]
      #615984 - 15/05/08 06:19 PM
Quote polysemicnick:

Hi i would like some feedback on track 1 ( soultrance) (1 at a time )

A - Structure - Win - Good ambient Electronica music.
B - Musicality - 8 - Good rhythms and decent melodic content with a funk flavor. I think the mix made it a bit hard to hear some of it though.
C - Likability - 5 - I liked the track, but the drums at times are obtrusive, and harsh.
D - Emotion - 2 - Good movement, but I didn't get much emotion out of it.
E - Mix - 4 - The drums and some of the guitars are EQ'ed a bit off. I hear a lot of 1 through 5khz in my face and it hurts the ears. Hit the drawing board again, and try to cut problem areas as apposed to boosting the lacking areas.
F - Master - Not ready. I mean sure you could go and reduce the problem area 1 - 5k in the master, but it would sound much better to fix it in the mix.
G - Production - Great job on the production. I couldn't play that good if my life depended on it. Never mind write this kind of style. Kudos'

In short - A cool Funk, Electronica track, that needs some mix work.

-Dave Katsikas
www.soundclick.com/largo

--------------------

largon203

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: BigElectricCat]
      #615988 - 15/05/08 06:31 PM
Quote BigElectricCat:

I think it's really cool that you're doing this. If you have the time, I'd really appreciate it if you'd give me some feedback on She don't Want Me at

http://www.soundclick.com/gjay

It's a live recording.

Cheers,

Tony

A - Structure - Win - Great job, Good ol fashioned down home Rock N Roll.
B - Musicality - 10 - For the style it's got everything. Great guitar riffs, with a driving Beat and Bass line. The vocals stay good and traditional.
C - Likability - 3 - Now just because I'm not so into the style, doesn't mean many others wont be. I just have different tastes that require a more fresh and current sound. But make no mistake about it, your passion is there and well done.
D - Emotion - 5 - Great vocal presents and passion make for great emotion. Oh yea and the spot on pitch never hurts too
E - Mix - 9 - For a live performance, I'm quite impressed. The drums sound great, and the guitars and vocals cut well. Give the sound man a pat on the back.
F - Master - Doesn't need one.
G - Production - Out of my style. So no ideas.

In short - A well performed down home Rock N Roll ride.

-Dave Katsikas
www.soundclick.com/largo

PS - Thanks for putting it up on Soundclick. Sounds so much better than others

--------------------

polysemicnick

Loc: UK
      #616289 - 16/05/08 02:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback. i couldn't agree more with what you've said. spot on. will get started on your critique very soon. thanks again. Nick

* User requested

#617257 - 19/05/08 06:01 PM
How about this one Dave?

Quite unusual 'instrumentation' I used here (erm, me in the kitchen rustling up breakfast really):

Kettle boiling
Bacon frying (couple of sausages in there too)
Chopping tomatoes
Food blender (there is a blender solo half way through)
Wine glass
Water drop

What u reckon? You think there's an album in it?

Cheers.

post edited at users request.

Edited by Max! (12/06/08 05:52 PM)

Dduckster

#617354 - 19/05/08 10:33 PM
would love to join in and get an opinion matey!!
Jade Pavillion - Rattlesnake
Apologies if this looks like a double post but if i'd noticed this thread i wouldnt have posted a "full" topic

A bit of background: its a home recording with BFD2 for the drums and the guits are amped through guitar rig

Many thanks
-Dom

Spiked Lunch

#618330 - 22/05/08 04:17 PM
Kitchen Synch is brilliant! Can I come round for tea?

--------------------
my music

Al Mitchell

Loc: Paisley
      #619448 - 26/05/08 04:13 PM
Could you have a listed to Foolish man.

www.myspace.com/almitchell2

Cheers

audioartist

Loc: herts
Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: Al Mitchell]
      #620912 - 30/05/08 12:36 AM
this is my mates band plastic passion, i recorded and mixed it for them, would love some feedback, if its not too horrible i may pass it on to them too, lol

'we have come so far'

Sty

Loc: São Paulo - Brazil
      #621670 - 01/06/08 01:07 PM
Hey, thanx for all efforts and help on this thread

My first mix using just Logic and its native tools

www.ronaldo3d.com/esperancadoAMANHA.mp3

I am so amatteur...and please, be not very hard on your judgements

--------------------
Some of my 3D work:
www.ronaldo3d.com

funkyant

Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #626825 - 15/06/08 02:59 PM
Out of interest, I'd like your opinion on Track 1 - Wish U Were Here.

http://www.reverbnation.com/controller/audio_player/detachable_player/arti st_195052?autoPlay=true

Thanks.

--------------------
Visit my band's website

MaJoR999

Loc: Berkshire
      #628680 - 20/06/08 01:38 PM
Hi and thanks in advance for the review.

My track is here BAND.

It's got electric guitar, accoustic guitar, bass, drums and synth. Fairly basic song structure and mixed as best as I can.

Cheers

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes... but not necessarily in the right order."

Comodorre

Loc: Czech Republic
Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: MaJoR999]
      #628994 - 21/06/08 06:10 PM
Hi all, I see that most of you are experts in music making - this is little different level than forums I have visited till now, so be kind in judging this one - it is piano with catchy beats and nice melody overall making calm atmosphere around you:-)

http://www.soccer.kvalitne.cz/music/Calm%20Down.mp3

Thanks for any review..
Michal

imalrightjack

#629029 - 21/06/08 08:42 PM
Try this:

http://www.stevemccormick.co.uk/mp3s.html

If Only She Were Lying would be the track I'd be interested in hearing your comments on.

Thanks!

--------------------
It's Our Christmas Song (Keep X-Factor Off Number One - charity Christmas single

Madman_Greg

Loc: The back of beyond
      #635690 - 10/07/08 01:32 PM

Please have a listen to this and tell me what you think.

The first track I recorded on my PC

track = Back Together

in the style of The Jam

Back Together

Many thanks

--------------------
Madman_Greg

aprim

#635765 - 10/07/08 04:20 PM
Pick Shattered or Possesion

http://www.myspace.com/stepbeyondproductions

thxs

kingbrasso

#637272 - 15/07/08 12:21 PM
What do you think of the song "Miriam" here:

http://myspace.com/kingbrasso

Thanks!

Creepyill

#639529 - 21/07/08 10:51 PM
I would be pleased to have you suggest and grade me I have a lot to learn,

http://www.creepyill.com/Youkilledme.mp3

Edited by Creepyill (21/07/08 10:56 PM)

PJH

#640193 - 23/07/08 06:32 PM
OK, here goes.

Cheers,

Peter.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6291591

--------------------
www.peterhanmer.co.za
www.miaudio.com/artists

ant_in_wales

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: PJH]
      #642461 - 31/07/08 10:14 AM
Hi Dave

Are you still doing these? Great structure to your reviews and I would greatly appreciate you listening to "The Weddings' Covers Band" from the page below
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=859315
Thanks very much
Tony

imalrightjack

Re: How does your track sound? Get Critiqued HERE! (Will Start posting @ 9pm EST USA) new [Re: ant_in_wales]
      #646971 - 15/08/08 07:22 AM
I'm guessing this thread is dead...

--------------------
It's Our Christmas Song (Keep X-Factor Off Number One - charity Christmas single

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 41134

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media