Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
Re: How can i prove i'm not a scammer? new [Re: Cypher]
      #494174 - 31/07/07 12:33 PM
I feel for ya Cypher.....

A very good friend of mine is Russian and tries to run a legitimate, professional studio there based around Logic and a stack of hardware synths and samplers, etc., but he has a real dilemna - he can't buy stuff in Russia and neither can he get anyone to buy from outside Russia, not so much because the retailer doesn't trust HIM as such but there's a good chance that anything they ship to him will go missing in transit. Some courier companies such as UPS and FedEx won't even deliver to certain areas there (or charge an outrageous surcharge). He even has problems getting updates to software, etc., because as soon as 'the system' sees he's in Russia, it gets blocked.

Good luck!

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Cypher

Loc: Bucharest, Romania
Re: How can i prove i'm not a scammer? new [Re: hollowsun]
      #494184 - 31/07/07 12:54 PM
@ Max - thanks for the suggestion, i knew those guys, but their gear is a little too old for my tastes - i'm usually looking for stuff that's 4-5 years old at the most, like an akai mpc 1000, an echo layla 24 etc. Rogue Music are also a nice source with decent prices, but unfortunately they're in the US and the shipping would kill me.

@ hollowsun - i feel for the guy too, it's even harder to buy or sell stuff from Russia - at least Romania's in the EU. But i do have a romanian friend who tried to buy a vintage russian Polivoks synth from Ukraine and got scammed. As far as buying new equipment from Romania, that's a nightmare - for example a brand new TI Polar from the romanian distributor retails at well above 2500 euro - there's one on the UK ebay at 1150 pounds right now. You could tell your friend that if he has the money he should wait until he needs 3-4 pieces of kit and fly to germany, buy them used and fly back - with the low cost airlines it could be a pretty good deal.

--------------------
good music takes you places Myspace | 4elemente music mag

Edited by Cypher (31/07/07 01:02 PM)

hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
Re: How can i prove i'm not a scammer? new [Re: Cypher]
      #494193 - 31/07/07 01:09 PM
BTW Cypher - you're English is astonishingly good! Much like my Russian mate's as it happens!

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

WeePig

Loc: Falkirk, Scotland
Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: Studio Support Gnome]
      #504105 - 18/08/07 09:39 AM
Not everyone with somewhat dodgy English is a scammer. I advertised a Korg piano and got a response by email from a guy. The text and the way it was written didn't seem right. I followed it up anyway, the guy came to my house, saw the piano and bought it cash. He was Spanish, and had only started working here in Scotland. Lovely bloke, a gearhead like me, and loves making music. So I do feel for the poster from Romania!

Cypher

Loc: Bucharest, Romania
      #507158 - 23/08/07 07:22 AM
Thanks for the support, guys. Just imagine that there's plenty of studios in Romania, as there's plenty of work not just in music production, but also in media etc. All of those people need gear, and many are on a budget (we've still got lower wages here than in the west). Since English is the most well-known foreign language here, browsing UK sites for second-hand equipment is the quickest solution for many of us, since now we'd have to pay less because of the EU customs union. And i suspect it's the same in most of Eastern Europe (especially the EU part of it).

On the other hand, be wary of scammers, since that was also endemic here a few years ago. But do give people like us a chance to prove ourselves as valid purchasers, because there's more of us than scammers. Now that i've wrapped that up, cheers!

P.S. Now that i've got that off my chest, anyone know where i can get a second-hand Akai MPC 1000 or an Echo Layla 3G (or Audiofire 8)?

--------------------
good music takes you places Myspace | 4elemente music mag

Edited by Cypher (23/08/07 07:23 AM)

Ronnie Wibbley

Loc: Stuck behind a tractor.
      #510717 - 30/08/07 08:12 AM
Hello all - I'm selling a few things on the site at the moment and wondered what the situation is regarding Paypal payments. I've heard of the payments being reversed after goods have been sent, leaving sellers high and dry - could someone enlighten me about how this works, and what I should do to cover myself?

Cheers

Ron

Peter Conz Connelly

Loc: Tyne & Wear, UK
Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: Ronnie Wibbley]
      #510827 - 30/08/07 11:02 AM
Quote Ronnie Wibbley:

Hello all - I'm selling a few things on the site at the moment and wondered what the situation is regarding Paypal payments. I've heard of the payments being reversed after goods have been sent, leaving sellers high and dry - could someone enlighten me about how this works, and what I should do to cover myself?

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron,

I have heard of this but don't know of one case where it's actually happened. I have been using PayPal for many, many years and not yet (touch wood) had any problems.

One suggestion for added security would be to tell the buyer to allow you 5-7 days for the money to reach your bank account from PayPal. As far as I know, nothing can be reversed if there are no funds in your PayPal account.

P

--------------------
Composer, Songwriter, Producer, Sound Designer
www.peterconnelly.com

Forum AdminAdministrator

Loc: Cambridge
Active Scammer in Readers Ads!! new [Re: Studio Support Gnome]
      #521997 - 21/09/07 12:32 PM
This email has been passed on to us a few times today by users of SOS Readers Ads who have gear on sale. We recommend a wide berth!!!!

Hello seller,

I am an engineer based in Ireland . I deal with used merchandises, I saw your advert on the internet, and i must tell you that i am really interested. I want to know the present working condition for it. Please do go ahead and tell me the present condition and the {least price} that it will be sold for. Also I’ll appreciate if you could send me pictures for it.

Get back to me quickly to avoid further delay in the purchase, you don't need to worry about the shipment to my location as my shippers are ready to come for the pick-up once payment as been confirmed by you.

Get back to me Via My Private Email Address: engr_sunnymail@yahoo.co.uk

Regards

Engr Sunny Mail

--------------------
SOS Trade Show videos now screening on Sound On Sound TV

Ronnie Wibbley

Re: Active Scammer in Readers Ads!! new [Re: Forum Admin]
      #522025 - 21/09/07 01:01 PM
Quote Forum Admin:

This email has been passed on to us a few times today by users of SOS Readers Ads who have gear on sale. We recommend a wide berth!!!!

+3 here as well. Thanks for keeping everyone informed.

hogberto

Loc: scotland
Re: Active Scammer in Readers Ads!! new [Re: Ronnie Wibbley]
      #522238 - 21/09/07 06:52 PM
Quote Ronnie Wibbley:

Quote Forum Admin:

+3 here as well. Thanks for keeping everyone informed.

i offered to deliver my synth to his church in ireland and pick up the cash when i got there.

he's gone all quiet now.

Kwackman

Loc: Belfast
Re: Active Scammer in Readers Ads!! new [Re: hogberto]
      #522252 - 21/09/07 07:36 PM
Quote hogberto:

i offered to deliver my synth to his church in ireland and pick up the cash when i got there.

he's gone all quiet now.

Don't suppose you got an address did you?

--------------------
Cubase, guitars.

leslawrenson

Loc: Outside Mothercare
      #522294 - 21/09/07 08:42 PM
I had that bloke try to scam me about a year ago when I was selling a guitar and my Tannoy Reveals. Exact same email.

hogberto

Re: Active Scammer in Readers Ads!! new [Re: Kwackman]
      #522559 - 22/09/07 02:20 PM
Quote Lime ZRX:

Quote hogberto:

he's gone all quiet now.

Don't suppose you got an address did you?

no, but i got a couple of phone numbers (for what it's worth).

presumably this guy is in that well-known irish town called lagos.

table for two

#522561 - 22/09/07 02:28 PM
I was feeling a bit left out ... lo & behold

Fri 21 Sep 2007

Hello seller,
I am an engineer based in Ireland . I deal with used merchandise, I
saw your advert on the internet, and i must tell you that i am really
interested. I want to know the present working condition for it. Please
do go ahead and tell me the present condition and the {least price}
that it will be sold for. Also I’ll appreciate if you could send me
pictures for it.

Get back to me quickly to avoid further delay in the purchase, you
don't need to worry about the shipment to my location as my shippers are
ready to come for the pick-up once payment as been confirmed by you.

Regards

Engr Sunny Mail

Thank heavens for that. I can rest now

hogberto

#522596 - 22/09/07 03:47 PM
Welcome to the Sunny Mail fan club.

In case anyone wants to try calling him up, he said:

"You can reach me on this numbers 02084781433 When am in London or +447031836598 ,but it is better you send me emails because i might be busy to pick my calls......"

In case anyone wants to send him an e-card, he used two e-mail addresses:
engr.sunnymail@gmail.com
engr_sunnymail@yahoo.co.uk

If only I had the time to toy with this scammer.

Valvesound

Loc: Nottinghamshire, UK
Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: hogberto]
      #522605 - 22/09/07 04:14 PM
hahaha well it seems Mr Sunny Mail has been a busy boy!

I recently listed a Keyboard for sale and yesterday received this email

"Hello seller,

I am an engineer based in Ireland . I deal with used merchandises, I saw your advert on the internet, and i must tell you that i am really interested. I want to know the present working condition for it. Please do go ahead and tell me the present condition and the {least price} that it will be sold for. Also I ll appreciate if you could send me pictures for it.

Get back to me quickly to avoid further delay in the purchase, you don't need to worry about the shipment to my location as my shippers are ready to come for the pick-up once payment as been confirmed by you.

Regards

Engr Sunny Mail"

I thought it sounded quite suspect So i googled the email address, it brought up this page of interest http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/MegaBBS/thread-view.asp?threadid=9325& start=1

see the bottom post... Location, NIGERIA

gzaq

#524273 - 26/09/07 12:25 PM
This one is on ebay right now

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330167885870&ssP ageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

maybe genuine, but seller has 0 feedback and its too cheap for a Korg Oasys...

dunno

Valvesound

Loc: Nottinghamshire, UK
Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: gzaq]
      #524676 - 27/09/07 09:00 AM
Quote gzaq:

This one is on ebay right now

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330167885870&ssP ageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

maybe genuine, but seller has 0 feedback and its too cheap for a Korg Oasys...

dunno

I think its very plausible for the seller to be new. many people only sign up when they want to sell something like that
and the cheap price just reflects the bidders not the seller

So he\she seems genuine to me
BUT there is one thing for sure.. regardless of whether the seller has 0 or 1000 feedback points i would only pay that kind of money in person when collecting the item

TAKEN.BALL.GONE.HOME
posting's fun

Loc: Manchester, UK and Den Haag, N...
      #538764 - 26/10/07 04:11 PM
I thought this topic was meant to be a sticky..?

Anyway, I can't help feeling this Jonathan Griffiths now listing on ebay UK is dodgy - look at registration date and transactions completed.

--------------------
TAKEN.BALL.GONE.HOME

jtcoops

#541894 - 04/11/07 11:05 PM
Quote Ronnie Wibbley:

Cheers

Ron

This happened to me. A client of mine wanted to pay for some goods via paypal and did so. £1,000 worth. 3 months later, Paypal send me an email to say they have reversed the transaction, taking £1,000 straight out of my bank account (I have a full Paypal account). The buyer had reported the transaction as a fraud.

Luckily I tracked the bloke down, and he had forgotten he had used paypal, and didnt recognise the entry on his credit card statement so queried it.

Paypal took 3% fee on both the first transaction and the reversal leaving me £60 out of pocket. No apologies no opportunity to defend the accusation.

Now I dont do anything on Paypal over £300. Its more hassle than its worth.

Edited by jtcoops (04/11/07 11:07 PM)

GLENN

Loc: Manchester
      #547408 - 19/11/07 11:03 PM
160180006225 hes selling the elektron drum machine and synth but has no genuine pics.
He wont do cash on delivery through a reputable company!
Be cautious.
I think i will just pay the extra for a new one as paypal just cant be trusted to give money back if he dont deliver.

-=@(*_*)@=-

Loc: Earth / Solar System
      #552824 - 03/12/07 04:19 PM
I got this one two days ago:

Good Morning
how are you today? I saw your advert on the (soundonsound)WEBSITE and am interested in buying do update me on the final asking price and new picture and if is still available for sale,thanks and stay bless.
Regards
Richard Dickson

Mail/Mobile
Arini4dickson@yahoo.com

+447024051693

--------------------
-- Fingering the G_string. I play (B)ass Fu(n)k & MIX for the *STARS* http://www.ssradiouk.com/

Ronnie Wibbley

Re: Active Scammer in Readers Ads!! new [Re: jtcoops]
      #552894 - 03/12/07 06:57 PM
Quote jtcoops:

A client of mine wanted to pay for some goods via paypal and did so. £1,000 worth. 3 months later, Paypal send me an email to say they have reversed the transaction, taking £1,000 straight out of my bank account (I have a full Paypal account). The buyer had reported the transaction as a fraud.

Luckily I tracked the bloke down, and he had forgotten he had used paypal, and didnt recognise the entry on his credit card statement so queried it.

Paypal took 3% fee on both the first transaction and the reversal leaving me £60 out of pocket. No apologies no opportunity to defend the accusation.

Now I dont do anything on Paypal over £300. Its more hassle than its worth.

I've just spotted this! If this can happen any time it's outrageous... you could never be sure you weren't simply going to have money removed from your account.

On another note, I have heard lots of horror stories about buyers getting scammed by sellers insisting on Western Union payments, but what about if a buyer insists on paying by WU? (Just for the correct amount, no inflated amounts etc.) Is this a possible area for scamming? Someone in Europe has just offered to pay for one of my Ebay sales by WU, saying that their bank will not let him open a Paypal account. I have refused to accept the payment, as it seems suspicious, but can't work out the mechanics of any scam that would operate in this way.

Any ideas?

leslawrenson

#552898 - 03/12/07 07:03 PM
Ronnie, it does sound dodgy to me.

I would insist on this person paying the funds directly into your bank account by BACs payment, and then you wait for the monies to clear into your account.

I recently sent the sum of £75,000 to an account in the US, and it cleared after about 5 days. I sent the monies in pounds sterling, which means that the recipient's bank would have charged him to convert to dollars. The reverse would happen for you, if the buyer sent the monies in his native currency, which then had to be converted to pounds sterling.

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
      #553184 - 04/12/07 02:27 PM
This is apparently a new scam involving Visa cards. I have pasted it below:

This one is pretty slick since they provide Y O U with all the information,
except the one piece they want.
Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have
it. This information is worth reading. By understanding how the VISA &
MasterCard Telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to
protect yourself.

One of our employees was called on Wednesday from "VISA", and I was called
on Thursday from "MasterCard".

The scam works like this: Person calling says, "This is (name), and I'm
calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My badge number is
12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm
calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by
(name of bank) did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for £497.99
from a Marketing company based in London?" When you say "No", the caller
continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is
a company we have been watching and the charges range from £297 to £497,
just under the £500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your
next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is
that correct?"

You say "yes". The caller continues - "I will be starting a fraud
investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 0800 number
listed on the back of your card (0800-VISA) and ask for Security.

You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a
6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?"

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works the caller then says, "I
need to verify you are in possession of your card." He'll ask you to "turn
your card over and look for some numbers." There are 7 numbers; the first
4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security numbers that
verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you
sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The
caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him. After you tell the
caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, "That is correct, I just needed to verify
that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your
card. Do you have any other questions?" After you say, "No," the caller
then thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back if you do", and
hangs up.

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card
number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20
minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA Security
Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase
of £497.99 was charged to our card.

Long story - short - we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA
account. VISA is reissuing us a new number. What the scammers want is the
3-digit PIN number on the back of the card. Don't give it to
them. Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or MasterCard directly for
verification of their conversation. The real VISA told us that they will
never ask for anything on the card as they already know the information
since they issued the card! If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN
Number, you think you're receiving a credit. However, by the time you get
your statement you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by
then it's almost too late and/or more difficult to actually file a fraud
report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a
"Jason Richardson of MasterCard" with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA
scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up! We filed a police
report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several of
these reports daily! They also urged us to tell everybody we know that
this scam is happening .

Please pass this on to all your family and friends. By informing each
other, we protect each other.

Regards
Dave Newton
Card Specialist

Johnson Controls Products UK
72 Buckingham Avenue
Slough
SL1 4PN
Phone 01753 870306
Fax. 0870 889 5664

--------------------
Facebok Page for acoustic music PA-ing in smaller venues

TAKEN.BALL.GONE.HOME
posting's fun

Loc: Manchester, UK and Den Haag, N...
Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: Guy Johnson]
      #553191 - 04/12/07 02:42 PM
Slick as it is, the alarm bells should start ringing when you receive the unsolicited call purporting to your bank, phone company, utility company, insurer,...

As soon as someone calls you and tries to get you to verify your identity, ask "have they proven themselves to me yet?" I have had this argument with three different companies who, acting in our mutual interest, have challenged me for credentials after they called me. I think that paves the way for these confidence tricks!

--------------------
TAKEN.BALL.GONE.HOME

leslawrenson

Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: TAKEN.BALL.GONE.HOME]
      #553202 - 04/12/07 03:17 PM
I'm with Jimi on this one.

Never give confidential information out over the phone unless you have made the call. I regularly conduct banking matters over the phone, where I have called my bank to confirm that transactions have occurred. Naturally, they ask confidential questions so that they can verify my identity.

But on a few occasions I have been called by persons claiming to work for "this or that" company, and they have asked me to disclose confidential information, and I have told them to take a hike.

CROangel

Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: leslawrenson]
      #560278 - 23/12/07 03:50 PM
As requested, i shall put what happened to me here:

Probably the worst week in my life. I thought it was gonna be the best but it turns out opposite. Anyway,

been searchin for Virus synth for a long time now and i found a great deal at Trance.nu, where some guy offers Virus C for 400 euro. So, i contact the guy, he gave me his msn so we could deal this.

I asked him about the virus, he said its old for three years, mint condition, been like 30 percent of time in use, 70 percent in rack. Everything nice and really, he did seem like a nice guy. He even said to pop in few jacks and Vengeance soundsets.

Next, he told me if i could pay in advance over Western Union and right away, so he wil pay shipment, and he will send it to me as a gift so i dont have to pay any taxes or other [ ****** ] (because then it would come up 650 euro for croatia) and i said great. I went to a local bank with my mother, did all the stuff, sent him the money, came home i gave him the number which he uses to take the money. He says ok, that he will go and send virus now and that it will ship on monday. I said great.

After that he was not on MSN for two days, it was a bit stinky for me so i googled his email adress. I found him on several other forums with different locations in his profile, russia, norway, france, etc etc...my stomach started to work a bit but i thought i was just imagining things. So finally next day he came on msn, in the morning, i sent him message right away and u guess, he doesnt reply to me for whole day.

So then, i googled his name....and i found things which i never hoped to find. Few blogs and sites saying that this prick is a cheat and that he cheated many people, from all over the world. I just coudnt believe my fukin eyes. here are few posts:

http://www.zooloomusic.com/

''got ripped off for a bunch of hard earned money and am feeling pretty dumb about it... warning to anyone reading this ... There is a right royal Estonian **** called Juri Kerbo who I wish the fleas of a thousand camels to infest his armpits and groin area... bless him! If you're googling that name and you're reading this post... do not deal with this wanker, he is a scammer and a low life... and I firmly believe what goes around comes around... so one day he'll get his and when he does, he'll think of all the people he ripped off, bastard!.... well that felt good to get off my chest.

As you can imagine this has really shaken my faith in hanity and my desire to do anything musical... but these are returning slowly, although I'll never trust someone who appears to be legit again.... note to self, just because they talk the talk ....
''

U have to copy paste this link in explorer:
http://www.the-gas-station.com/messages.cfm?type=normal&thread_id=6325 4&lastdays= 2000&

[ ****** ] hell. Bought a Virus C (or so I thought) on the Harmony Central classifieds, from a guy in Estonia, though not even sure if that's true. Anyway, he has the ad up, along with one for a Jupe 8. I drop an email initally about the Virus C, which he says is still available. I email back saying I'm interested, and is the Jupe also still available. He tells me the Jupe has sold - I take this as a good sign, as if he's a scammer, surely he'd try and sting me for both synths. He sends a pic of the Virus, which seems legit - a quick shufty on Google images doesn't come up with the same image, so it's unlikely he's just whipped it off the net. I also query the voltage, and he says it's on 220v - 240v.

So, I transfer over $500 USD, plus charges, which comes to £300 GBP in the end - a good price for a Virus, which I was planning on selling on in the UK to get a bit of money to live on over this semester.

This was last weekend, so the money has probably just cleared into the guys account. I dropped an email last night - normally he's pretty quick responding but as yet no answer.

I read the HC complaints section to see if I could spot this guy before buying, and did a search on his name on there (vco.osc) and nothing came up. Having just had a browse though now, I find this...

"I sent $700can to a guy who says his name is yuri kerbo from norway. Which im guessing is a fake id hes using to collect wired cash.....hes got 2 postings on your classifieds one for an mc 909 which he claims to have sent me....and now is not returning my emails a virus c is also in that ad. There is a new one he posted the other day for some new synth.... his email he is using is kentorange@hotmail.com search for it in the synth section. He even went through the trouble of sending me a bunk tracking number phone number and adress....I am from canada so, I set up a bunk hotmail from sacremento california under a different name and asked to buy both of the synths he had advertized in the same ad (one of which he already supposedly sold me) and he gave me a price for both of them!!!

I wish I could get him to go to the moneygram (that is the payment system he uses) vthinking that he was gonna get that money and have the cops snag him.... but thats entrapment DAMMIT!...Oh well for some reason hes not answering the emails i sent him asking where my 909 is but he is still postingon your site and trying to sell my alter email ego the 909 he already sold ME!!! I wish there was a way to get this bastard! Oh well ....theres your HEADS UP!"

Suprisingly (or not) the name I transfered the money to was Kerbo Juri...

I wish there was a way to contact the people who post complaints on HC so I could get in touch with the other guy who got ripped off, find out what the situation is.

[ ****** ] pissed off now... was kinda relying on that money for uni. Worked my ass off for it too.

One day, we will meet...

I feel same as these guys, stupid, pathetic, ripped off, i have no faith, nor will for anything, dont wanna produce, i dotn wanna do anything anymore...i am dissapointed! I have all his details but i dont know what to do:

Account holder: Juri Kerbo

My account number is: 3356 6717 0006

My IBAN account number: EE 9333 0033 5667 1700 06

Bank name is: Sampo Bank

My phone is: + 372 58 066 349

Adress of my bank:

Narva mnt. street 11 (street)

15015 (zip)

Tallinn (city)

SWIFT: FORE EE 2X (swift code)

My adress: 12 Laki street, apt. 45

400 Euro is big money for me, i have worked a lot for it and i am just a student. I think i will contact the rest of these guys, we might team up and do something. I am pissed of...

What do u think? Any suggestions? Should i just forget it and move on or stop this, because many other people might get ripped of, and many worked hard for their money...I still cant believe this!

Thx for reading

And also, i saw another member here (the one from my 2nd quote) got tricked at about same time as me. Fizzo guy, he was tricked 2007/2008 at Christmas time, also Virus C, this is his post from this forum:

This is another post from Fizmo guy who got cheated, and woudnt u believe, he was tricked somewhere at the same time as me but last year, around Christmas!

''Well seeing as the mob is baying for a righteous lynching, I had a charming Estonian gentleman by the name of Juri Kerbo relieve me of $500 just before Christmas. He was supposed to send me a Virus C, but I'm assuming he forgot that part. He really is a forgetful chap, as there's a lot of other people who he's forgotten to post this Virus to.

His phone number ( ) is 56 300 239 (Estonian), and he seems to have several emails...

oscknob@yahoo.com
vbajandin@dynanet-eu.ee
draxx@mail.ru
kentorange@hotmail.com
vco.filter@gmail.com

He seems to know about synths, and he even sent me a photo of the Virus which looked genuine.

Now if only he'll come on here saying he forgot to post it, and offering a refund...

I've been onto the local police about it, my bank, and his bank, but I'm sat here with the guy's bank details and phone number, but no one wants to do anything. It's maddening.''

J. Matthews

Loc: Bourne, England, Europe, Earth...
Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: CROangel]
      #560318 - 23/12/07 07:20 PM
You can trace all the emails using the headers of the email. See this page.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/workingwithipaddresses/qt/ipaddressemai l.htm

You can find out where this person really is from that, but thats all. You wont get your money back. Do some research, you might even get an exact location such as a university or an airport.

http://www.private.org.il/IP2geo.html

Joe

CROangel

Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: J. Matthews]
      #560731 - 26/12/07 11:26 AM
I have done EVERYTHING thats is in my power, and i mean EVERYTHING! Now... i can wait. Il keep u guys up to date....cheers and Merry X-Mas to SOS and all members!

To be continued....

Paul Soundscape

#563862 - 06/01/08 12:19 AM
Never purchase a db technologies fifty line PA system from Rosana Ahmed or Kylie Martin,
I got the PA from a second chance offer from ebay, it had real pictures of one, not just taken from a website,

they asked for the money to be transfered in to their bank account,

the emails i recieved were very snappy and a bit forceful so i was on my guard, and when i asked for their details they almost became defensive

the seller gave false details of their "business", which was a bit stupid as i checked it and they had never heard of them, they could never speak on the phone,

I hoped i could pick up the item, based in london as i was working their next week, but how unfortunate that the seller is in plymouth with the pa so i couldnt collect it...unless i live near plymouth by which time i think the scammer realised i knew this wasnt real and politely said this isnt working

luckily the scammer was quite dumb and didnt fool me, but watch it, im reporting them to ebay etc...

here is the ebay listing
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270200299869&ssP ageName=STRK:MEDW:IT&ih=017

their email address is rosanaahmed@hotmail.com

bit of a shame as they are very nice systems:( atleast i lost no money!

--------------------
Live Sound and Studio Engineer

Phil O

Loc: Scotland
      #563927 - 06/01/08 11:37 AM
Thanks for the heads-up Paul. Good ol ebay ehh - the item has been listed again!

Strange also, that the seller has a 280 rating albeit at 99.6% (unless they've hijacked a profile).

Paul Soundscape

#563957 - 06/01/08 01:03 PM
yeah very strange, i have reported it again to ebay.

--------------------

Phil O

Loc: Scotland
Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: Paul Soundscape]
      #564040 - 06/01/08 04:59 PM
Ebay are well known for a degree of apathy when it comes to rooting out fraudsters. I was once 'duped' with pirate software despite the listing suggesting it was legit. Ebay wouldn't take any action despite the clear breach of listing rules. It was not until I involved both trading standards and the software importers that the listing (and other similar listings by the same trader) were removed.

Paul Soundscape

#564047 - 06/01/08 05:38 PM
yeah the "security" people im emailing seem so thick, they really don't understand, ohwell, i think i might just email the highest bidder,
its their reputation im trying to save so someone doesnt get scammed! idiots!

--------------------

Rabid47

Loc: Exiled in East Kent, UK
Re: Classic Nigerian Scam mail new [Re: SCAM ALERTS]
      #614185 - 11/05/08 02:28 AM
I've had one of these from USA. It was sent by someone caled Ellen Gideon and tells the tragic story of Mahmoud who apparently suffers the same symptons even though it is medicines rarest disease. I thought it was strange when he assured me he had only three months to live and then contacted me 8 months later.

Watch out for Scumbags!

--------------------
Rab

Glasgene

#617984 - 21/05/08 03:46 PM
Beware this person:

Christopher lamptey

lampte011206@hotmail.com

Just had the above try and scam me through Gumtree buying a computer,it was reasonably convincing and could probaby be applied to anyone using paypal as a payment method:

1) they email you saying they are interested (good english) and request your paypal email and your name.

2) Then you receive notification of an instant payment that is addressed from paypalservice, BUT if you look at where it originates from the sending address is online-trackreference@accountant.com.< /a>

3) the catch is that the payment is pending (checking paypal will confirm this is not the case) and that funds are being held until you send notification to
online-trackreference@accountant.com that the item has been sent with a parcel tracking number; the funds will then be released to your paypal account in order to protect the buyer.. hmmmm

I have copied the email below with item details left out, including the delivery address as they may know nothing about it:

Dear ....,

You have an Instant Payment of £... GBP from Christopher Lamptey (lampte011206@hotmail.com)

Payment Details
Purchased From:
Transaction ID:5NS50308X5606661C

Item NumberItem TitleQuantityPriceSubtotal

1 £750.00
£750.00

Postage & Packing via Royalmail Next Day Guaranteed Delivery Service:
(includes any seller packing fees) £20.00

Postage Compensation : £0.00

Total: £770.00

Payment Information:

The payment for Guntree Item no.24018944 has been verified and confirmed. But due to security reasons on both sides of the buyer and the seller the status of the payment is pending. Most sellers do not ship out the exact items as they have listed on Gumtree and we are keen on securing the Gumtree community.You will be required to post out the item and email us its shipment reference number. We will then verify the status and contents of the shipment within 5 minutes with the courier service its been shipped through. Once we have completed verification, your account will be credited instantly.
As soon as shipment is made, Kindly get back to us with the shipment tracking number so that we can confirm it and then credit your funds immediately.You can send the shipment tracking number to us at (online-trackreference@accountant.com)
Note: Do not send the shipment reference number to the buyer until we have confirmed the status of the shipment and credited your Paypal Account.

Delivery Information

Address:

Address Status:Confirmed

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Copyright © 1999-2008 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal (United Kingdom) Limited is authorized and regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the United Kingdom as an electronic money institution. PayPal FSA Register Number: 226056.

PayPal Email ID PP753

Glasgene

Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: Glasgene]
      #618878 - 24/05/08 02:25 PM
AS A FOLLOW UP TO THE ABOVE IT SEEMS THAT IT IS PARTICULARLY GUMTREE THAT THESE SCAMS ARE AIMED AT AS I HAD SOMEONE ELSE TRY EXACTLY THE SAME ...F@%&*%S

IT WILL BEGIN WITH SOMEONE EMAILING YOU ASKING FOR YOUR BEST PRICE, POSTAGE COST AND IN PARTICULAR YOUR PAYPAL.. THEN THEY WILL SEND YOU THE ABOVE MAIL FOR MORE THAN YOUR ASKING PRICE TO TRY AND SNARE YOU.

I HOPE NO ONE FALLS FOR THIS.. IF I GET ANOTHER ONE IM THINKING ILL SEND AN ALTERNATIVE

mpmbln

#648693 - 20/08/08 04:13 PM
Posted here in error, sorry!

PM sent to Scam Alerts.

DO NOT buy the TB-303 or Virus C from "Norway" listed on Readers Ads!

More to follow...

Edited by HQ. 17 (20/08/08 04:31 PM)

Scope

Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: mpmbln]
      #681100 - 23/11/08 03:29 PM
Just a quick heads-up - not music kit but:-

I tried to buy a black BMW 320 auto, "Y" reg ( a gift for the misses no less).

The item has been re-listed and I am the "inconsiderate buyer wasting everyones time"

Caveat Emptor

This scammer will not give you his address to collect the car.
He will not answer requests for an address.
He will not answer his phone.
A 2nd phone number ( supplyed by EBAY) is someone else - totally unrelated i.e - clearly not an english bloke called Harry, living in Swanley, Kent

The item is 280288201329

I left a negative and reported his behavior to Ebay.
He has not even asked why I left a negative !!!!!!!!!

I know its not synths etc, but I feel better warning everyone and anyone about this dirtbag.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ***
Thread views: 552904

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media