Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
ken long

Loc: The Orient, East London
Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: Kwaidan]
      #971378 - 21/02/12 11:18 AM
Quote Kwaidan:

Heads up for a new scammer frequenting SOSreaders Ads

I am contacting you regarding your wanted advert, How you still
interested in buying this item.. I have it still in good working
condition and in perfect order. Good price is accepted, if you are
interested in buying from me. Let me know your price as well as the
your shipping contact address for shipping to your home. And i will
get back to you with details...Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards
AGUSTIN MUÑUMER
VILLA DE PLENCIA 10,4ºC,
LAS ARENAS-VIZCAYA,48930
SPAIN

I would answer:

Dear Agustin,

What a coincidence! I will be in Las Arenas-Vizcaya this spring so we can meet in person and finalise the deal. Looking forward to meeting you.

Kindest regards

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Collie

Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: Studio Support Gnome]
      #984352 - 26/04/12 07:04 AM
Hi Guys Seems there's another scammer trolling the SOS Ads received this last night,the same email sent word for word for both my ads

Quote:

Good Day,

I saw your advertisement on the Internet; I'm really interested in buying it as am buying to set up a small scale business. I really love this particular make and feel i can have a good deal for it in my neighbourhood, can you please explain some more about how and who used it. I have already seen on the advertisement, but wouldn't mind knowing more about an advert placed online...

How it was used and kept well is really important for me to know because I am not in a good state of health to come to see it before purchase so, I'd really appreciate a well descriptive description about its present condition and the {least price} that it will be sold for. I would also appreciate if you could send more pictures of it.

Get back to me as soon as possible to avoid further delay in the purchase, you don't need to worry about the delivery to my location because my shipping agent will be ready for coming to receive it once payment reaches you.

You can contact us on this line +44 70359 16387, but it is better if you could send me e-mails because I might be busy to pick my calls......

Hope to hear from you as soon as possible

Best regards

Mr. Mrs. McMail

fatbenelton

Loc: Liverpool, UK
      #984353 - 26/04/12 07:05 AM
Got several emails from Mrs McNeil yesterday in response to some ads I listed - same number and everything..........

--------------------
Jonny

Edited by fatbenelton (26/04/12 07:06 AM)

DaleSmith

Loc: Hull, UK
Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: fatbenelton]
      #984503 - 26/04/12 06:32 PM
same here!!!!

Good Day,

I saw your advertisement on the Internet; I'm really interested in buying it as am buying to set up a small scale business. I really love this particular make and feel i can have a good deal for it in my neighbourhood, can you please explain some more about how and who used it. I have already seen on the advertisement, but wouldn't mind knowing more about an advert placed online...

How it was used and kept well is really important for me to know because I am not in a good state of health to come to see it before purchase so, I'd really appreciate a well descriptive description about its present condition and the {least price} that it will be sold for. I would also appreciate if you could send more pictures of it.

Get back to me as soon as possible to avoid further delay in the purchase, you don't need to worry about the delivery to my location because my shipping agent will be ready for coming to receive it once payment reaches you.

You can contact us on this line +44 70359 16387, but it is better if you could send me e-mails because I might be busy to pick my calls......

Hope to hear from you as soon as possible

Best regards

Mr. Mrs. McMail

Edited by DaleSmith (26/04/12 06:33 PM)

Peter Conz Connelly

Loc: Tyne & Wear, UK
      #986894 - 11/05/12 12:35 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320904027220?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksi d=p3984.m1423.l2649

I bidded then asked if collection was a possibility but, without explanation, they cancelled my bid and, after I asked why, they told me strictly no collection and PayPal wasn't working so would need to be a bank transfer (I asked nothing about payment).

Could be genuine, maybe a newbie, but I've been using eBay long enough to suspect this could be a rat.

P

--------------------
Composer, Songwriter, Producer, Sound Designer
www.peterconnelly.com

Edited by Peter Conz Connelly (11/05/12 12:36 PM)

mpostor

Loc: S.W. London
Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: Peter Conz Connelly]
      #997834 - 14/07/12 03:21 PM
Has anyone got any had dealings with foreign buyers who contact you by phone?

I've got a few bits in Readers Ads at the moment and I've just had a phone call from a Scandanavian country, from a guy with, not other words for it, an African accent.
He asked about one specific item. I told him that it was still for sale and he said that he would have someone in the UK contact me. He then mentioned that he'd seen that I had other stuff and he would see what he wanted from that and that I should expect a phonecall soon.

I've read about the e-mail scams, but I've never heard about anyone using the phone.

At the moment, I'm waiting for the call from the UK guy, but my spider-sense is already tingling.

It could be legitimate, but it's strange enough to get me to post on here.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

SB.

fatbenelton

Loc: Liverpool, UK
      #1073909 - 09/11/13 07:59 PM
The infamous Gary Feeney has been in touch with me in response to some of my readers ads…

He's using the email gary@musictheatre.co.uk and says he's based in Carlisle..

I always do a little checking esp if somebody is asking for the address to come and 'collect'

'Gary' and 'MusicTheatre' leads to this interesting article which outs Gary Adams as the well known fraudster Gary Feeney…..

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/on-the-run-f...

Edited by fatbenelton (09/11/13 08:02 PM)

OSoundE

Loc: Orlando, fl
      #1107923 - 14/06/14 12:48 PM
If it sounds to good to be true then it might be a Scam!

--------------------
My Sound is Your Sound Engineer! So visit Our Sound Engineer @ OurSoundEngineer.com

Sam Inglis
SOS Features Editor

#1132833 - 12/01/15 11:53 AM
I've noticed quite a few dodgy eBay auctions recently for high-value items such as expensive microphones. What seems to happen is that a newish seller, always with +1 positive feedback, posts an auction with a fairly plausible description and a low starting price. When you look at the feedback that too comes from a seller with just the one feedback point. This is one example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manley-Reference-Cardiod-Microphone-/22165900600 2

I've seen lots of other auctions like this over the last six months or so and wouldn't trust them at all.

Wonks

Loc: Reading, UK
      #1132834 - 12/01/15 12:05 PM
And if you follow that feedback trail, its all to people with one feedback who have only just joined and all with two part names, part normal and part random.

--------------------
Will also answer to 'Wonkz'

ainternational

Loc: Amber Valley
Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: Sam Inglis]
      #1132835 - 12/01/15 12:08 PM
Always worth reporting them to Ebay - may help stop someone getting scammed.

There's one outfit who regularly hijack sellers' accounts with high feedback and list rare high-value synths and desirable recoridng gear. They can usually be spotted by the description offering to sell for £1500 if payment made by Western Union/Bank transfer etc.

I always report them to Ebay and contact the genuine seller to let them know their account's been hacked. Ebay are usually pretty swift to take these down. The more of us who spot and act on these scammers, the harder it is for them to rip the less-experienced buyers off.

Chevytraveller

Loc: London
      #1132836 - 12/01/15 12:14 PM
There have been a few suspect ads in the SOS Classified recently..
iPhone 6 offers in the Miscellaneous section..

Why is there no "report" button so that people can report these ads back if they slip through the net?..

--------------------
MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, Emulator II, E-Synth, Obie-TVS, Waldorf Q, Pulse and Blofeld, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S

Sam Inglis
SOS Features Editor

#1132837 - 12/01/15 12:14 PM
Aye, there's always plenty of scams about on eBay, but these ones look more plausible than most until you follow the feedback trail.

Scramble

Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: Sam Inglis]
      #1132838 - 12/01/15 12:21 PM
I followed the feedback trail on Sam's item. The seller, porteuk_t7xrui8b, hasn't had any feedback as a seller. There is one piece of feedback he got as a buyer, from someone called walmacgr, which said 'A1 thanks'.

walmacgr also has no feedback as a seller, but got the feedback 'smooth transaction' after buying a glass bowl from alebag_gadgtcp. alebag does have one piece of feedback as a seller, but suspiciously it's 'A1 thanks'.

Personally, I say 'No thanks'.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: Chevytraveller]
      #1132839 - 12/01/15 12:38 PM
Quote Chevytraveller:

Why is there no "report" button so that people can report these ads back if they slip through the net?..

Good question, and good idea. I've passed it back to those that know about such things for consideration.

All Readers' Ads are vetted individually before they appear, so it looks like the iPhone 6 ads managed to slip through unnoticed, unfortunately. Dunno why, but we'll delete it.

I'm told the report button is something that we can certainly add when the all-new website is launched (and as it happens, the Reader's Ads section of that is currently being developed, so this is a timely call.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Wonks

Loc: Reading, UK
      #1133637 - 16/01/15 10:54 PM
I've noticed a couple of hacked account ads for Gibsons on eBay in the past couple of days (and reported them). Typically for a vintage or rare item which would sell for several thousands, with no reserve and only one picture of the item, with another picture giving a gmail address (which looks totally unrelated to the hacked seller's name) and the offer of a low BIN price. Most people have realised this, so the price is very low and tempting to the unsuspecting. The two I've reported seem to have been taken down by eBay (though I've had no feedback from them).

So beware any eBay listing with just one poor picture of the item and one picture of the 'seller/scammers' email details on it, (rather than in the description text), especially if it is a gmail account. The description may look detailed but it is just copied from a genuine eBay ad for the item, and often has giveaway names left in it.

--------------------
Will also answer to 'Wonkz'

-Chris-

Loc: The South West
      #1142409 - 13/03/15 03:54 PM
Just had what appears to be a scam in reply to a sale add in the Reader's Adverts section. I initially responded but their final response, copied below, raised my suspicions. A little googling reveals the same or similar e-mail address and name and initial enquiry flagged as a scam on other websites.

Initial enquiry:

Is your Item still available for sale and do you accept PayPal?Kindly get back to me at ascheppers285@gmail.com

After an innocent sounding second e-mail this third e-mail sounded dubious:

Thank you for getting back to me,I will be very glad if you consider the item sold to me...I'm an honest and straight forward person and always want to be treat the same way, are your sure of the item condition? I am buying this item as a Birthday present and presently i am at sea right now,I am paying through PayPal and you can put the PayPal charges on me, i don't have access to my bank account online,but i have it attached to my PayPal account,and this is why am using PayPal to pay,all i will need is your PayPal email or PayPal invoice to make the payments and also i want you to know that i will be handling the pick up of the item since i have a private pickup agent that will come for the pickup of the item after payments has been sorted and will also handle the paper works.I will contact the pick up agent with your location once payment is made So that i can know how much it will cost me for the pick up,payment will be make to you as soon as you get back to me with your PayPal email address and phone number, I will be looking forward to hear.

I couldn't find any similar reference in this thread.

Cheers,
Chris

--------------------
Christopher Davison - Singer Songwriter and Electroacoustic Composer

Scramble

Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: -Chris-]
      #1142530 - 14/03/15 12:11 AM
Don't touch this one with a bargepole.

BelfastGooner

Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: Scramble]
      #1142620 - 14/03/15 09:10 PM
Jaysus, I don't believe this. I had an email from ascheppers285@gmail.com yesterday:

Is your Item still available for sale and do you accept PayPal?Kindly get back to me at ascheppers285@gmail.com
Scheppers

So I replied and got the following reply:

Hello,
Good to hear that the item is still available...Are you the real owner?What is the present condition?Can you send me some pictures?How much is the final asking price?Do you have PayPal ID which payment can be make to?Where is the exact location for the pick up? I will be looking forward to read from you asap.

Best Regards
Scheppers

This evening I got another email:

Hello,
Thank you for getting back to me,I will be very glad if you consider the item sold to me...I'm an honest and straight forward person and always want to be treat the same way, are your sure of the item condition? I am buying this item as a Birthday present and presently i am at sea right now,I am paying through PayPal and you can put the PayPal charges on me, i don't have access to my bank account online,but i have it attached to my PayPal account,and this is why am using PayPal to pay,all i will need is your PayPal email or PayPal invoice to make the payments and also i want you to know that i will be handling the pick up of the item since i have a private pickup agent that will come for the pickup of the item after payments has been sorted and will also handle the paper works.I will contact the pick up agent with your location once payment is made So that i can know how much it will cost me for the pick up,payment will be make to you as soon as you get back to me with your PayPal email address and phone number, I will be looking forward to hear.

Best Regard..
Scheppers

And then finally:

what is your paypal email for payment

I can't believe I let myself be taken in like this. The collection and offer to pay paypal charges made me let my guard down. I really should've checked on here first.

I've removed my email from my paypal account and changed my password, so hopefully I'll be ok.

I feel like a complete clampett.

Forum AdminAdministrator

Loc: Cambridge
Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts. new [Re: BelfastGooner]
      #1143165 - 18/03/15 03:41 PM
Ascheppers ( A Scheppers) has morphed into Sarah Landau - see a recent approach to a seller:

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS BUYER

Subject: Re: Enquiry re Live in Sound On Sound Readers' Ads
Date: 18 March 2015 12:13:12 GMT
To: [name removed by Forum Admin]

Hello,

Best Regard..
Landau

--------------------
SOS Trade Show movies now screening on Sound On Sound TV ...grab your popcorn!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ***
Thread views: 603629

April 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for April 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2015. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media