Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: britney]
      #663983 - 04/10/08 10:02 PM
Quote britney:

Quote hollowsun:

Except for the bit about hip-hopsters.... I know quite a few and none of them can play for toffee

Then I guess you know neither Pharrell Williams nor Marcus Miller.

Williams I don't (though what little I just discovered didn't do much for me - just sounds like typical bland modern R&Bling).

But Marcus Miller? Jeez - he's about as far off in the opposite direction of hip-hop as I can imagine....

A consummate, formally trained musician who's played on hundreds of records over the last 30 years or so with THE top artists of our age as (as Ivan put it) bassist for hire - the man's a groove on legs. I don't know but maybe he's played on a few hip-hop records recently but he is NOT a hip-hop musician per se.

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Chaconne

Loc: Oxford
Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: IvanSC]
      #664010 - 05/10/08 12:12 AM
You mean that that competently played 12 bar blues is a shining example of 'groovy'!

You are telling me that no one today can play like that - Cruise Ship band playing 101?

get out of here!

You dont think 'Mercy' by Duffy is played quite as well?

Or 'I kissed a Girl' - that rolls pretty nicely?

or 'Crazy' by Gnarls Barkely? etc etc just to name any old top twenty fodder.

You really think we should be all impressed by someone who can hold down a basic rock groove?

--------------------

ttrsvp

#664013 - 05/10/08 12:31 AM
No One Gooves but me!

IvanSC

Loc: UK France & USA depending on t...
Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: Chaconne]
      #664023 - 05/10/08 07:33 AM
Quote Chaconne:

You mean that that competently played 12 bar blues is a shining example of 'groovy'!

You are telling me that no one today can play like that - Cruise Ship band playing 101?

get out of here!

You really think we should be all impressed by someone who can hold down a basic rock groove?

Lets try and keep this thread friendly and polite, the way it has been so far.
You are missing my point here.
What I am trying to get across here is not that NOBODY can groove any more, simply that the overwhelming majority of people out there both on record and live seem to have forgotten how.
Or more to the point never learnt how.
There are so many examples of simple, straight ahead 4/4 tunes out there that just don`t groove at all.
It`s always easy to point out the ones that do, but you have to also look at the ratio of them to ones that don`t.

And did you notice how many of your three examples were UK artists?
This also has a lot to do with it.

--------------------
Me? But I`m such a loveable old bugger!

onesecondglance

Loc: Reading, UK
      #664056 - 05/10/08 11:42 AM
Quote Chaconne:

get out of here!

your argument would have been better if you had chosen different examples...

--------------------
hourglass | random thoughts | doubledotdash!? collective

Tui

Loc: Chiang Mai, Thailand
      #664072 - 05/10/08 12:43 PM
Quote IvanSC:

There are so many examples of simple, straight ahead 4/4 tunes out there that just don`t groove at all.

That is true - sadly. To make matters worse, many contemporary pop/rock tunes aren't particularly groovy to begin with, leaving little room for the performers to lift the music onto a higher level.

Ronnie Wibbley

Loc: Stuck behind a tractor.
      #664114 - 05/10/08 05:04 PM
Do you think it has something to do with the MMR jab, which could have the effect of eliminating groove from our young people today?

Tui

#664135 - 05/10/08 05:55 PM
God knows what's causing this. It's not only with music, is it. All forms of art are subject to steady decline, whether painting, architecture, writing, comedy... It is as if we don't appreciate "quality" anymore, for want of a better word.

MMR jabs? How about highly processed foodstuffs, aspartame, synthetic food colourings, fluoride in toothpaste and drinking water, mobile phone masts at every street corner? Could be any of those things, or a combination. Personally, I blame George Bush.

Chaconne

#664139 - 05/10/08 05:59 PM
O.K -

So ignoring dance music, rap, R'n B, new laptop stuff like dub-step, american session musicians etc erc, you are saying UK 'Rythym 'n Blues' / Rock acts 'aint got no groove yes?

But has this not always been the case?

With very few execptions can Brits groove, simply because historically and culturally we are often one step removed from 'black' influences in music. American blues and funk is homegrown - for us its an import.

ocassionally in the past there where brits who got it like John Mayhall, Eric Burden etc - i.e. tapped into the 'voodoo' but mainly we find it difficult. For instance I find Led Zeppelins attempts (e.g The Oceam) awful, and we are not much good either at programming good beats - we have no Timbaland - we could never make disco either.

If this is what you are saying, I have to agree with that musical truism - but I dont hold with all of the 'youngsters these days cant PLAY WRITE SING GROOVE SPELL (delete as appropriate)

--------------------

ken long

Loc: The Orient, East London
      #664140 - 05/10/08 06:00 PM
Quote IvanSC:

And did you notice how many of your three examples were UK artists?
This also has a lot to do with it.

Not sure I follow there Mr. T. What does the artists being from the UK have anything to do with groove?

And to the best of my knowledge, 2/3 (and possibly the 3rd) of the records highlighted are sample based with synthetic drums. And they are all floor fillers with tons of groove.

ken

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

tomafd

Loc: uk
Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: Tui]
      #664143 - 05/10/08 06:04 PM
Quote Tui:

God knows what's causing this. It's not only with music, is it. All forms of art are subject to steady decline, whether painting, architecture, writing, comedy... It is as if we don't appreciate "quality" anymore, for want of a better word.

MMR jabs? How about highly processed foodstuffs, aspartame, synthetic food colourings, fluoride in toothpaste and drinking water, mobile phone masts at every street corner? Could be any of those things, or a combination. Personally, I blame George Bush.

Apparently Germain Greer has written recently- defending Damien Hirst- that the 'artform' he's really good at isn't 'creating an object that has intrinsic value in itself' but 'marketing', and that marketing is in fact the premier 'artform' of the 21st century.

How sad is that ? "Never mind the [ ****** ] you actually make- the art is in selling it." Personally, I think that's utter bollocks, but if enough people are believing it, it might explain the decline in quality...

--------------------
http://anotherfineday.bandcamp.com/ http://anotherfineday.co.uk http://apollomusic.co.uk

jayzed

Loc: North London
      #664144 - 05/10/08 06:04 PM
removed

Edited by JohnnyT (05/10/08 06:05 PM)

Tui

Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: tomafd]
      #664147 - 05/10/08 06:14 PM
Quote tomafd:

the art is in selling it."

Absolutely. You can be the greatest talent ever - if you don't know how to sell yourself, the general public won't give a cr*p.

Mind you, this has always been the case, it's nothing new. However, it seems to me that past audiences were more appreciative of genuine skill and talent.

ken long

#664150 - 05/10/08 06:21 PM
Quote tomafd:

marketing is in fact the premier 'artform' of the 21st century.

How sad is that ? "Never mind the [ ****** ] you actually make- the art is in selling it." Personally, I think that's utter bollocks, but if enough people are believing it, it might explain the decline in quality...

When has commercial art ever been anything other than over valued marketing projects? There's nothing new and original in what she has written but it is accurate. One only needs to look at the charts to confirm it.

ken

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

Ian Stewart

#664186 - 05/10/08 08:22 PM
Is it possible that groove is not important anymore? For instance - is like saying to a free jazz player where is the beat? Or saying to a punk group where are the flattened 5ths? Or like saying to a classical composer where is the 909 kick drum? Maybe the groove is extinct, gone for good.

Maybe the groove has moved somewhere else. For instance in hip hop, maybe the beat is mechanical but the MCing is rhythmic.

The groove does not have to external. In romantic music, e.g. Chopin, the beat comes and goes, rubato is the thing, its the 19th Bohemian salon groove.

Got to go Taggart's on soon.

--------------------
No longer a forum member.

IvanSC

#664256 - 05/10/08 11:48 PM
Just to remind everyone what my original post actually said:

,.... it occurred to me that he number of young players who can actually recognise a good groove, let alone create one is dwindling fast.

Has the reduction in sperm count and testosterone levels in young males led to a similar shrinking of their bootie-shaking ability?

Nobody seems to want to get down and dirty any more.

It had nothing to do with anything other than an observation that things that really gel are on the downturn.

I deliberately didnt criticise the choice of tracks, esp. Gnarls Barkley.
Just another symptom of how far apart many of your ideas as to what grooves and what doesnt really are from mine.

I was wrangled into running a jam night tonight, much against my better judgement.

The house drummer is an older gentleman (but not as old as me) and couldnt hold together a groove if his life depended on it.
He utterly destroyed every piece he played on.
Then this nervous little debutant drummer got up on kit and played some good, solid workmanlike drums.
Nothing fabulous, not really a great groove going, but the rest of us immediately started playing ten times better.
This is far more what I am talking about than any studio/beatbox/MPC/sampler created stuff.

But somebody who is capable of grooving is usually also capable of transcending the medium they are using.
After all, there are actually great accordeonists and banjo players out there.

And let us not forget that Agadou filled dance floors.
I never said the punters were sufficiently discerning to only dance to great grooves.

--------------------

Chaconne

#664267 - 06/10/08 12:54 AM
Yeah but just because you cant find a good young drummer does not mean that everything is going down the pan. My father is a Jazz pianist in his 70's and he never has a problem finding new young talent. Yeah, sure, the Jazz 'scene' is nothing like it was - but he is always impressed that there is new blood out there taking up the baton.

I hear great stuff on records, on the radio, on the net everyday made by youngsters that play great, can program great and use whatever medium there is to keep making great grooves.

Live Rythym and Blues - I dont know to be honest - sorry its that way for you...

--------------------

IvanSC

#664277 - 06/10/08 06:16 AM
Quote Chaconne:

Yeah but just because you cant find a good young drummer does not mean that everything is going down the pan. My father is a Jazz pianist in his 70's and he never has a problem finding new young talent. Yeah, sure, the Jazz 'scene' is nothing like it was - but he is always impressed that there is new blood out there taking up the baton.

I hear great stuff on records, on the radio, on the net everyday made by youngsters that play great, can program great and use whatever medium there is to keep making great grooves.

Live Rythym and Blues - I dont know to be honest - sorry its that way for you...

(grin) Stop being ageist. It really isn`t about age, it is about the dwindling number of people of all ages who have the desire and apparently the experience of playing ensemble to create something worthwhile musically.
Jazz?
Don`t talk to me about jazz.
My first gig was in London as a kid playing in a jazz band.
Initally N.O. marching band & later what used to be called "modern" jazz before Miles and his buddies went electric.

No different round here - a tiny minority of players who get it in a sea of self - indulgence.

When I was coming up through the series of levels onbe went through to get to play with the big boys, people rehearsed until they were tight & began having a rapport.
Consequently the majority of players at whatever level of competence were able to hold down a pice pretty well.
"Valerie" is not a difficult song, I had never played it before & last night a lady showed up wanting to do it, complete with chord charts.
Nobody got close, even after several times round the changes, and forget anything about it grooving.

It`s even beginning to put me off the idea of starting a fun band again.
Already got 3 volunteers I wouldn`t want & haven`t got the heart to say "no" even though I know I will have to.
Sorry this is turning into an old man`s rambling but I am seriously not feeling too happy about any of this.
What started out as one of my usual semi-serious rants is turning out to be more true than I thought, at least locally here in the north Cambridgeshire area.

Maybe I`ll take up fishing....

--------------------

DoeZer

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
      #664757 - 07/10/08 09:25 AM
Quote Chaconne:

O.K -

So ignoring dance music, rap, R'n B, new laptop stuff like dub-step, american session musicians etc erc, you are saying UK 'Rythym 'n Blues' / Rock acts 'aint got no groove yes?

But has this not always been the case?

With very few execptions can Brits groove, simply because historically and culturally we are often one step removed from 'black' influences in music. American blues and funk is homegrown - for us its an import.

ocassionally in the past there where brits who got it like John Mayhall, Eric Burden etc - i.e. tapped into the 'voodoo' but mainly we find it difficult. For instance I find Led Zeppelins attempts (e.g The Oceam) awful, and we are not much good either at programming good beats - we have no Timbaland - we could never make disco either.

If this is what you are saying, I have to agree with that musical truism - but I dont hold with all of the 'youngsters these days cant PLAY WRITE SING GROOVE SPELL (delete as appropriate)

please please. not the "only blacks have groove" argument.
surely everyone is in agreement thats total b*llocks. absolute and utter b*llocks...

i thought the aerosmith vs Run DMC video in the 80's "walk this way" put paid to that theory yes??
i mean listen to steely dan and tell me white guys cant groove. enough said!

ok. moving past the "white guys dont got it" cliche. i think its totally unfair to say that brits dont got it either.. Ian DUry and the Blockheads? they didint groove because they are white brits yes? the Specials?. even newer brit bands. "Hard Fi" have a pretty good sound IMO.

i would agree they are fewer and farther between nowadays, but that is also true in the states. all that absolutely turgid gangsta rap.. or not so much gangsta rap as "look at me i have loadsa money and cars and what not"... christ that is so boring.

i thought your earlier examples by the way. Mercy, Crazy by gnarls barkely very good examples of fine modern tunes that truly do groove. i would also include some acts like the gorillaz in there but thats personal taste (thats dangermouse again of course)... also modern bands like black keys. amazing grooves (again theyre white - shock horror)...

i would agree les music seems to "have it" nowadays. but i am 100% convinced it is still out there. its on myspace its everywhere. a quick trawl on the net and you'll find some amazing music. the problem is that radio and the music industry are controlled by people whose agenda is not to have really good music out there, its to control kids of the age of 14 to 18 and get inside their fr*ng minds...
ok enough conspiracy theories for one day...

d

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/planetdoezer

Edited by DoeZer (07/10/08 09:27 AM)

tomafd

Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: DoeZer]
      #664761 - 07/10/08 09:28 AM
Quote DoeZer:

... the problem is that radio and the music industry are controlled by people whose agenda is not to have really good music out there, its to control kids of the age of 14 to 18 and get inside their fr*ng minds...
ok enough conspiracy theories for one day...

d

No, they don't want their minds, just their money. Pointless exercise, really, I don't know a single 14- 18 yr old who actually pays for music !

--------------------
http://anotherfineday.bandcamp.com/ http://anotherfineday.co.uk http://apollomusic.co.uk

ken long

#664773 - 07/10/08 09:54 AM
Quote IvanSC:

That's because its a brilliant record!

BTW,are you using an AZERTY keyboard? Reason I ask is you seem to be using your grave accent key for apostrophes.

ken

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

DoeZer

#664802 - 07/10/08 10:58 AM
Quote tomafd:

No, they don't want their minds, just their money. Pointless exercise, really, I don't know a single 14- 18 yr old who actually pays for music !

yes and thats always been the way.

i never believed and never will bel;ieve thats "its the teenagers who are the only ones spend money on music". Its simply NOT NOT NOT true... and yet the radio waves continue to be bombarded with that sound. always amazed me, always will.

just a question. you dont suspect any kind of sinister element to the relentless pushing of rap artists bleating on about "gucci, chanel, cristal shampagne, viiolence, uzis" and various other weaponry... you genuinely dont think that has an effect on the kids listening? and if you agree it does have an effect do you genuinely think that the promoters of said music dont know exactly what that effect is and want that effect to occur?? for me its a no brainer...

--------------------

Edited by DoeZer (07/10/08 11:04 AM)

molecular

Loc: north a bit, west a bit
Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: ken long]
      #664803 - 07/10/08 10:58 AM
Hi Ivan,

I'm sorry, but I found your posted song pretty butt-numbing actually - they're clearly good, but I wasn't dancing: and I'm a big country fan.

I don't want to be dismissive but dancing hasn't been arse orientated since 1978 - straight lines in the 80s, these days its all about looking like you're undergoing electro-shock therapy...

(CAVEAT: you're talking to a 27 year old bluegrass and disco fan here, not a grumpy old muso)

...and the beats and grooves are appropriate. You can't do a Charleston to Elvis - I have no doubt he marked the death of danceable music for a generation. If it's about great ensemble playing, surely, as always, you can blame:

1. The Beatles, for making house bands uncool...
2. Beat Detective, for being good enough to fool joe public, but not anyone who really cares...
3. The BBC, for unadventurous playlisting...
4. Cliff Richard, for being a twat...
5. Beat Detective (again)...
6. The Credit Crunch...
7. The SAE...(!? - I'm trying to fit in here...)

I know plenty of bands up here who play together VERY VERY WELL - none of them have a hope in hell of getting any industry attention because playing well requires practise, which means LESS TIME spent on HAIRCUTS. It also means a strong interest in music which is ENTIRELY IRRELEVANT, as we all know, to getting heard by anyone.

In short - if you want to hear good ensemble playing by new acts, I want to know where you're looking. Because if its on radios one or two, or on an HMV headphone column, or on the top 3 stages of a festival, you're looking in the wrong places...

--------------------
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja
http://www.hectormacinnes.com

molecular

Loc: north a bit, west a bit
Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: molecular]
      #664806 - 07/10/08 11:01 AM
Quote molecular:

If it's about great ensemble playing, surely, as always, you can blame

This is a generic 'you' - I'm not having a go at Ivan...

--------------------
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja
http://www.hectormacinnes.com

DoeZer

#664810 - 07/10/08 11:12 AM
sorry. one last thing.

had to point out. @ Chaconne. Led Zeppelin's "The Ocean".
IMO that song has a truly great groove going? you dont think so? im intrigued. well i guess - i am white so i may be wrong!

just goes to prove were all trying to solve something that is entirely subjective and thus unsolvable (insoluble??... huh? )

d

--------------------

Stoney

Loc: London
      #664824 - 07/10/08 11:32 AM
For an example of a modern band that groove, I always thought Gomez grooved massively - only heard their first album though.....

Do you mean a different kind of groove?

IvanSC

Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: ken long]
      #664845 - 07/10/08 12:16 PM
Quote Ken Long:

Quote IvanSC:

That's because its a brilliant record!

BTW,are you using an AZERTY keyboard? Reason I ask is you seem to be using your grave accent key for apostrophes.

ken

Nah - only use those 14y2"£%$* things when in france.

Probably just my arthritic fingers - I used to type really well but am finding it a bit tricky these days.

--------------------

caveman82

Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: dubbmann]
      #664849 - 07/10/08 12:20 PM
Quote dubbmann:

... look at the success of the dap kings (btw, they recorded a fake noir-soul lp under the title 'revenge of mr. mopoji' soundtrack - killer rhythm section).

cheers dubbman. will buy that asap. those guys IMO are some of the best musicians around at the moment, IMO i think they are the ones who should be given some of the credit for amy winehouse's success.

also dubbman, check out el michels affair, if you didn't already know about them. they are chaps from the dap kings as well. sounding out the city is an immense record.

FINALLY, has anyone noticed how very few decent bass players there around? bass players that actually listen to the bass drum and play for the rest of the band opposed to themselves?

my rant is that there are not enough bands or musicians who play improv. PLAY MORE IMPROV!!!

IvanSC

#664850 - 07/10/08 12:23 PM
We`re sorta sliding sideways here again.
My original comment came as a result (at least partly) of not finding anyone here in East Anglia that actually WENT OUT rather than playing in their bedrooms that could hold down a good groove.

Mr. Bluegrass disco fan, if you like to dance to disco AND bluegrass, I`m not surprised you found Eddie Raven butt-numbing.
Do you hand-crochet those sequinned hats at the same time as you skin your possums up there?
(wherever "UP" is)

Seriously, I offered that particular track up (think I said this already) BECAUSE I was pretty sure very few of you on here would like the actual content, but in th ehope that you would look past the content at the vibe of what was going on.
Sure it is a pretty basic and obvious groove, but bear in mind that I am saying there are less and less people out there playing that are capable of "getting" it.

I`m sitting listening to Tony Joe White at Austin City limits live with bass & drums.
Now that man can lay down a groove just talking to you all by hisself.

Little Feat
Steely Dan
etc
etc

--------------------

IvanSC

Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: molecular]
      #664852 - 07/10/08 12:28 PM
Quote molecular:

if you want to hear good ensemble playing by new acts, I want to know where you're looking. Because if its on radios one or two, or on an HMV headphone column, or on the top 3 stages of a festival, you're looking in the wrong places...

I very occasionally listen to Radio 2 if they have a comedy show on.
Never ever radio 1.
Don`t know where the nearest HMV is.
Never go to festivals. Too much mud and crap music.

I tend to get my music at local small gigs.
Daughter Ms. Terrible promotes a few local "13 bands for £5" things that I of course wind up going to, plus all the pub & club acts I see.
That`s where I am getting my impression from.
I would hope that there is at least a fighting chance that anything that gets airplay or into a proper record shop would have something going for it, even if I know in my heart of hearts a lot of it doesn`t.

--------------------

Handlestash

Loc: Ireland
      #664878 - 07/10/08 12:50 PM
I'd love to boogie with you Ivan but I live in Ireland. This tread has reminded me how much fun I used to have sitting in with 'The Fridge' on saturday nights when I was 17/18 in a hay barn at the back of Batty O'Brian's bar in a little village outside my home town. He'd build a stage and put a PA in (wouldn't be aloud now). We used to arrive at about 6, run throught any new songs that we wanted to play then kick off at around 9 and just jam until the neighbours complained. Playing old Cream numbers and hendrix but stuff like the stone roses and the pumpkins too. Everything a young rocker needs to learn the ropes. Skinning up behind the shed. My first girlfreind wearing Poison. My black velvet coat with the silver buttons. Sigh.

'What would you do, if I sang outta tune...'

That was only 13 years ago. What the hell happened?
You nearly have to pay people to turn up for rehearsals now.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/anthony-wall/sets/audio-reel
http://songsforvoiceandpiano.com/

onesecondglance

Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: Handlestash]
      #664887 - 07/10/08 01:06 PM
Quote Handlestash:

What the hell happened?

ain't that the awful truth. that was why i gave up on my old band in London - couldn't get a reliable (as in, turning up to rehearsals) rhythm section.

--------------------

Handlestash

Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: onesecondglance]
      #664902 - 07/10/08 01:22 PM
Quote onesecondglance:

Quote Handlestash:

What the hell happened?

ain't that the awful truth. that was why i gave up on my old band in London - couldn't get a reliable (as in, turning up to rehearsals) rhythm section.

OT but I just wanted to give you my latest experience with that. We lost our drummer just as we were about to record an album. We met this young fella. An extraordinary musician and he agreed to join the band. We did a couple of rehearsals and everything was going great. We started doing some pre production at my house and he turned up for the first evening then missed the next couple. Then he cancelled the next couple of rehearsals. Then he hurt his arm playing rugby so I suggested he help us do his drum parts using EZ so we could continue with pre then he could take them home and work at them at his own pace. He said ok. He didn't turn up for the first session. Myself and the guitarist started work on the drums. I called him and told him we'd be doing some more work the next evening and he said he'd be there. He called the next evening and said he couldn't come because he was out watching a rugby match. So the question shouldn't be if anybody can groove anymore.
It should be 'Can't a young musician function in any way at all anymore'.

--------------------

onesecondglance

#664908 - 07/10/08 01:29 PM
that is an all-too-familiar tale to these ears, i'm afraid.

it's even less funny when you're paying for a rehearsal room. and then the bill has to be split between the few of you who did turn up. so not only did you pay for the privilege of standing around doing nothing for several hours, you also paid more than you would have usually!
oh, such great times.

--------------------

tomafd

#664912 - 07/10/08 01:37 PM
Quote IvanSC:

I would hope that there is at least a fighting chance that anything that gets airplay or into a proper record shop would have something going for it, even if I know in my heart of hearts a lot of it doesn`t.

Proper record shop ? Do they still exist ?

--------------------

Handlestash

Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: onesecondglance]
      #664914 - 07/10/08 01:40 PM
He didn't even have to pay for rehearsals. And myself and barry were going to finance the album. All he had to do was turn up at rehearsals, the studio, practice at home and turn up at gigs. That was nearly a year ago. It really has killed our interest in the project. Which is a pity because there's 16 great songs written.

--------------------

kenwyn

Loc: Peterborough
      #664919 - 07/10/08 01:55 PM
Quote IvanSC:

We`re sorta sliding sideways here again.
My original comment came as a result (at least partly) of not finding anyone here in East Anglia that actually WENT OUT rather than playing in their bedrooms that could hold down a good groove.

etc

I do 3 gigs a week playing funky Latin in one band and in another acoustic live lounge and I live in Cambridgeshire..... Which I think is in east Anglia.

I must admit I spent 2 years looking for a decent vocalist and I was considering any kinda music. Now I know 6. bit like buses. They are out there mate but you gotta look under hard to move rocks.

And now everything is about Kareoke talent shows, so groove and musicianship is hidden behind walls of manufactured shite. I am not bitter, just very frustrated

--------------------
www.myspace.com/kenwynmaslow
www.myspace.com/mcmagico

kenwyn

Loc: Peterborough
Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: Ian Stewart]
      #664924 - 07/10/08 02:09 PM
Quote Ian Stewart:

Why all this obsession with music to dance to when Caucasians can't dance anyway? (It's not racist, I'm Caucasian.)

You obviously have'nt seen Napolean Dynamite

--------------------
www.myspace.com/kenwynmaslow
www.myspace.com/mcmagico

ZukanModerator
Zukan

Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: kenwyn]
      #664946 - 07/10/08 02:52 PM
Quote kenwyn:

You obviously have'nt seen Napolean Dynamite

That scene killed me.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

grab

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #664952 - 07/10/08 02:58 PM
For groove in Cambridgeshire, I'm compelled to put in a plug for Matoke, a South-African jazz/dance band. OK, I'm a little biased since I often do sound for them, but when the lads are on form they're absolutely on fire.

Their drummer organises a lot of charity gigs, one of which had the most unreal experience of my life. Picture your basic church hall with about 100 middle-class white English people aged 20-60 sat at tables round the edges. The lads played a slow song as an intro, then hit them with a fast one. And an roomful of 100 middle-class white English people got up as one and started dancing like it was their last chance ever. I wondered whether I'd stepped into an alternate dimension or something...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 33519

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media