Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Ian Stewart

Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: Dr Whom]
      #666048 - 10/10/08 08:09 PM
Quote Dr Whom:

it's bob james, jean luc ponty and wilbert longmire

I really like Bob James, I will give them a closer listen. One day I am going to check out his early free-jazz recordings.

OT - has anyone noticed how rock and jazz violinists have unusual names : Jean Luc Ponty, Sugarcane Harris, Stuff Smith?

--------------------
No longer a forum member.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Setter

Loc: Tesside UK
Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: Richard Graham]
      #666051 - 10/10/08 08:18 PM
Quote Richard Graham:

Who are the modern Rush clones?

Dream Theatre! and their vocal free incarnations...

But in my defence I say that mostly to wind up my 16year old.

J

PS I didn't know Rush existed without Peart!
PPS the live Red Barchetta (Exit Stage left) rolls along nicely though.

Handlestash

Loc: Ireland
      #666053 - 10/10/08 08:20 PM
Quote Dr Whom:

Quote Handlestash:

Quote Dr Whom:

unfortunately it's those damned top session players tho

What the hell is that?!

Ugh, IMVHO the only time this sort of music ever came close to having a groove is 'Contusion' from Songs in the key of life.

um, ok

i know i know!.. you're right of course! they are all completely talentless shite and cant play or groove for toffee

sorry to offend your 'music critic' sensibilities.

Are you really sorry?

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/anthony-wall/sets/audio-reel
http://songsforvoiceandpiano.com/

ken long

Loc: The Orient, East London
Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: Setter]
      #666098 - 11/10/08 12:21 AM
Quote Setter:

Quote Richard Graham:

Who are the modern Rush clones?

Dream Theatre! and their vocal free incarnations...
But in my defence I say that mostly to wind up my 16year old.

Dream Theatre? Modern? Didn't they peak in like 1990? That means your kid wasn't even born yet!

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

IvanSC

Loc: UK France & USA depending on t...
Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: Touchmaster Oddski]
      #666115 - 11/10/08 07:20 AM
Quote Touchmaster Oddski:

STOP THE PRESSES!

OLD PERSON IN 'THINGS NOT AS GOOD AS THEY USED TO BE' SHOCKER!

actually, it`s more of a "The young people today don`t know they`re born" thing....

we need an irony smiley!

--------------------
Me? But I`m such a loveable old bugger!

IvanSC

Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: molecular]
      #666120 - 11/10/08 07:39 AM
Quote molecular:

Ivan, Ivan, Ivan...

The only dorky 60's thing around here is the random replacing of vowels with apostrophes... Man!

But let's not fight, shall we.

But this comment about my confusion? Are you accusing Highland folk musicians of not understanding how to freak out 'in the zone'? Do you think it's all about Classical bagpiping and dreadful limp-wristed 'craic' in an Irish theme bar? As I asked before - maybe you're looking in the wrong places... Have you ever been to the Highlands? Was it on a 'Lochs and Glens' coach Holiday?

Secondly - all I can do is pity you if your experience of new bands doesn't make you feel like they have a groove. Aside from my opinions of my own band, we've played with a few other new bands around up here, and they all knew exactly where the zone was. dBass, Fanattica, Black Diamond Express, Miyagi, Claes Cem

I choose the bands we tour with carefully, but I'm happy that when we play with these guys they are going to pull it out of the hat.

Subjectivity: I'll ignore the slight implication that I've never been in the groove, but I thought this was a thread about up and coming musicians, not an "I can groove and you can't" bragging opportunity. Personaly I see people clearly zoning out to stuff I just don't get - and I can't share your opinions about the new musicians around you. So, whatever, either it's subjective or its a postcode lottery... Either way, the "Land of Bagpipes" is clearly in better shape than wherever you are.

very eloquent but a bit wide of the mark.
I have toured extensively in Scotland but never further north than Glasgow because ther just isn`t enough people living in the highlands and those who are are too scattered to make it economically viable for a small outfit that needs to work as close to 7/7 as possible to make money.
My partner was fron Southend,which made the fuel bill alone pretty horrendous.
You are missing the point here - I have never said "nobody can groove any more".
Sure there are exmples out there,mostly successful bands and with seasoned players, which doesn`t discount YOUNG players I might add.
My problem is with the rank and file who seem to have gotten their musical experience off the East West display in the local music shop, rather than playing with other people.
Or, worse, think pasting a bunch of pre-recorded loops together and playing "in-time - ish" over the top of them constitutes somthing that grooves.
I don`t doubt for a minute that you folkies can get it on with the best of them, but there again how MANY bands are there local to you who can do this?
As far as I am concerned tight ensemble playing that has a cohesive rhythmic "feel" (i.e. stuff that grooves) is a dying genre.
In deference to your opinion I will go find examples of the bands you have cited as being able to get it & let you know what I think.
Remeber opinions are just tht, so we may well have to agree to differ on your and my interpretation of what actually grooves/has a good groove.
And I never even implied inferred or in/immer anything else about your ability or lack thereof.
Maybe it`s just that well-known Scots sensitivity....
My first wife was a scot & I still bear the scars!

And do you REALLY have Irish theme bars in Scotland????
My current dad-in-law is from Sligo and was back there for the first time in neary 60 years.
Went to the same pub every night of his stay, where the boys, assuming he was a brit, gave him all the fenian songs every night.
End of the week, he congratulated them on their playing, asked for the wearing of the green one more time & then told them he was born within 2 miles of the pub they were playing in.
You could have heard a pin drop.
Moral: Don`t assume just because we come from England wer`e all stupid southern jessies.

--------------------

IvanSC

Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: IvanSC]
      #666121 - 11/10/08 07:47 AM
P.S. On the subject of my perhaps gratuitous crack about bagpipes in scotland, feel free to substitute "Accordeon"
or indeed "Banjo" when played in the frayling sytle adopted by the Big Yin.

(Now I`m REALLY for it!)

P.S. Just in case,

This post was written tongue in cheek, as I am sure the vast majority of you will know.

Just that along with the groove, the sense of humour seems to be an endangered species round here on occasions.

--------------------

Ian Stewart

#666137 - 11/10/08 09:19 AM
Quote IvanSC:

Maybe it`s just that well-known Scots sensitivity....

Or maybe that is just that well-known English misunderstanding of Scotland. Its not all biscuit tins and White Heather Club.
But it has made me think about cultural aspects of rhythm. My friend says that the reason he really likes the 6/8 rhythm is because he is South African, in that country it is commonly used. However I am half Scottish and lived in Scotland yet I don't like the 6/8 rhythm at all, even though it is common in Scottish music.
In fact this year is the first time for years I have composed a work that is not in 4/4.

--------------------
No longer a forum member.

molecular

Loc: north a bit, west a bit
Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: Ian Stewart]
      #666176 - 11/10/08 01:29 PM
Oi! I'm neither sensitive nor humourless: I take most of Ivan's posts with a pinch of salt, but you would be amazed at the amount of times I've been confronted with much worse chat in the same vein, and meant perfectly seriously... There are huge amounts of people who think the traditional music up here is all dum-de-tiddle-de-dum and prancing around like a fairy, which is a bit like saying the whole of London is like that green cockney feller off the Mighty Boosh.

And yes, we do have Irish Theme Bars... as depressing a clover-hued virus as they are everywhere else.

Now, away and rattle someone else's dustbins, 'cor bloimey guv'nor, dontcha know innit. (You are from wales, right?)

--------------------
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja
http://www.hectormacinnes.com

IvanSC

#666313 - 12/10/08 07:54 AM
I daren`t say anything about the Welsh all thinking they can sing, or I`ll upset Max again!

Oh dear! I`ve gone and done it anyway!

Re Scotland, I used to tour the lowlands about 2 or three times a year and heard some very good music up there, also some very bad.

As always, it isn`1t anything to do with national characteristics, although most of the 6/8 I have been involved in has been jazzy 6/8.
Africans likeing 6/8?
Hmmm...
Most of the African stuff I have comes from West Africa and there isn`t a lot of 6/8.
Come to think of it there isn`t a lot of 4/4 either.
Lots of 2/4 and a bunch of polyrhythmic things I would be hard put to name, but some wonderfully good and also some er wonderfully bad grooves.
I really must sort out getting vuinyl onto cd or mp3 and post a couple of the ethiopian polyrhytthmic things I have.
demanding on a european ear (and butt!) but boy it`ll work out your sense of rhythm till you get it.
Indian stuff I have played is similar. I found that if you try and think about what YOU are playing, it doesn`t work.
Wierdest audition I ever did. Showed up to try out for a country rock band & the people auditioning me played sitar and tablas. Me on my rickenbacker bass.

--------------------

Dr Whom

#666459 - 12/10/08 06:13 PM
Quote Handlestash:

Quote Dr Whom:

Quote Handlestash:

Quote Dr Whom:

What the hell is that?!

Ugh, IMVHO the only time this sort of music ever came close to having a groove is 'Contusion' from Songs in the key of life.

um, ok

i know i know!.. you're right of course! they are all completely talentless shite and cant play or groove for toffee

Are you really sorry?

yup.. really really really really really really really really really really really really sorry

nah, it's was logical progression see? the guy I posted it for said he liked bro's johnson, and this stuff follows on from that in a sort linear club-music progression of the day.

i just posted it cos jazzy stuff CAN have a great groove, you just have to remove the fatal word 'rock' from jazz-rock and hey presto!

like this next track.. a very cheesy chorus, but as the track progresses, the groove after the chorus becomes more superb with each cycle... at the end it is seriously cookin'!

quincy jones circa 77 ish, another club classic, i think it's possible Chaka on vocals, hang on... yup, here's the roster:

Ashford and Simpson, Patty Austin, Luther Vandross, Chaka Khan, Ralph McDonald, Herbie Hancock, Eric Gale, Michael Brecker, Steve Gadd, Richard Tee, Anthony Jackson, David T. Walker, Wah Wah Watson

Micheal brecker.. the brecker bro's did some f*ckin AWESOME brass work for narada micheal walden back in the day, he had an album with santana on it and airto... airto is so out there, or was, I saw him live years back with his missus Flora Purim (check her early work btw, superb!) and he plays his drumkit standing up (inc the kick & hats)!!!!

anyways... 'stuff like that' - a Quincy Jones undergound club hit before he worked with micheal jackson: (sorry the alight speed change, my turntable's shagged)

www.dancetech.com/a_kilo_audio/slt.m3u

--------------------
You might think that... but I couldn't possibly comment.

Dr Whom

#666461 - 12/10/08 06:21 PM
here's that Narada micheal walden track... a truly aweful chorus, sorry about that, those jazz guys were messin with 'disco-y' chorus's alot back then, but it's worth a listen for the brecker's superbly tight horn work and the percussion break from airto later on in the track, carlos santana on guitar I think. (he was on the album)

http://www.dancetech.com/a_kilo_audio/IDWNETDWY.ram

--------------------

IvanSC

#666566 - 13/10/08 07:57 AM
Quote Dr Whom:

Quote Handlestash:

Quote Dr Whom:

Quote Handlestash:

Quote Dr Whom:

What the hell is that?!

um, ok

Are you really sorry?

yup.. really really really really really really really really really really really really sorry

nah, it's was logical progression see? the guy I posted it for said he liked bro's johnson, and this stuff follows on from that in a sort linear club-music progression of the day.

i just posted it cos jazzy stuff CAN have a great groove, you just have to remove the fatal word 'rock' from jazz-rock and hey presto!

like this next track.. a very cheesy chorus, but as the track progresses, the groove after the chorus becomes more superb with each cycle... at the end it is seriously cookin'!

quincy jones circa 77 ish, another club classic, i think it's possible Chaka on vocals, hang on... yup, here's the roster:

Ashford and Simpson, Patty Austin, Luther Vandross, Chaka Khan, Ralph McDonald, Herbie Hancock, Eric Gale, Michael Brecker, Steve Gadd, Richard Tee, Anthony Jackson, David T. Walker, Wah Wah Watson

Micheal brecker.. the brecker bro's did some f*ckin AWESOME brass work for narada micheal walden back in the day, he had an album with santana on it and airto... airto is so out there, or was, I saw him live years back with his missus Flora Purim (check her early work btw, superb!) and he plays his drumkit standing up (inc the kick & hats)!!!!

anyways... 'stuff like that' - a Quincy Jones undergound club hit before he worked with micheal jackson: (sorry the alight speed change, my turntable's shagged)

www.dancetech.com/a_kilo_audio/slt.m3u

As you lot prolly know I came to pop music from a jazz background & yes jazzers in general are more likely to hit good grooves.
And the Breckers are delicious.
But there seems to be an attitude nowadays that "we are good enough we can do anything, but we choose to make our music inaccessible to the masses" which in turn leads to the arrival of an audience who for the most part couldn`t find a groove if it jumped out of a darkened alley and mugged them.
But they CAN pretend to appreciate the exquisite subtleties of something they don`t have to make themselves look like fools trying to dance to.
Horrible grammar but I hope the message gets across.

I can remember going through a phase as a bass player where my favorite drummer and I would amuse ourselves by taking the rhythm as far away from the basic underlying 4/4 of the song as we could for as long as we could without actually losing the other members of the band.
Thick dwarf time.
But I learned that particular lesson pretty quickly and am still somewhat ashamed of that period in my musical life.

And Doctor Whom - if that lot couldn`t groove, there would indeed be something seriously wrong somewhere.
OIh and Quincey Jones`s cookbook even cooks, too!
Sad muppet that I am, I own a copy & have tried some of his recipes.
But the book has such great asides about Quince`s life, it could have been just a biog.
And yes there IS a recipe for salty chocolate balls.

--------------------

Dr Whom

#666686 - 13/10/08 12:53 PM
heh heh, i know what u mean. I love rock music but the rhythms can be rather tedious and uninspiring at times (boof-baff, boof-baff etc)

what i liked i think about that period of club music was that it allowed soloists playing instruments like trumpet and trombone to have club hits. Not your usual featured instruments. people like Raul De Souza & Eddie Henderson & even Herp Albert had a club hit (Rise) albeit it was a 33rpm album track which deejays played in clubs at 45rpm.

when the mainstream biz picked up on it thru the grapevine the Radio-1 jocks started playing it, but at the normal 33rpm speed, lol, which caused a few chuckles & groans of dismay from people used to hearing it played in clubs at 45rpm.

--------------------

Gorrion

#669704 - 20/10/08 07:57 PM
Burial is quite good as far as dubstep goes.

Sorry to be resurrecting a long-dead thread.

Stevedog

Loc: Mercia
      #669786 - 21/10/08 02:24 AM
Interesting thread and most pertinent to something i had happen recently...

Whilst working on a track for the new DoG's album i had a Bass line that was spot on timing wise and note wise. Nothing wrong with it at all in the technical sense. However, somehow it didn't quite gel into the whole arrangement. It lacked any "lope". Its' hips just didn;t move. Gave it a friend and ,eh voila, he added a touch of Andy Fraser mojo and it now sounds perfect.

--------------------
nibbled to death by an Okapi http://www.soundclick.com/tubilahdog

IvanSC

#669799 - 21/10/08 07:09 AM
Sometimes it just comes down to being a bass player thing.
I haven`t actually come out and said this before in this thread, but so often the groove or lack thereof does seem to revolve round the bass player`s contibution.

Harking waaaay back in this thread I mentioned an album I did where two or three of my tracks contributed were dropped and a synth bass substituted because of "timing issues".
The reality was that I had slid the line I was playing ahead and behind the drum machine track in order to get some humanity into the songs.
The folks I was doing it for ended up with tracks that had been quantized to death.
Probably still wondering why those particular tracks don`t work very well.
"It was that Limey bass player - even with his parts dropped out, he obviously affected the way the drum machine played."
(grin)

INcidentally, I actually got into a jam on Sunday that grooved here and there!

Drummer was a bass player who also played drums and we just dug in and WORKED.
I had sore fingers afterwards, but for 2 numbers it was nice to actually see a crowd of musicians actually bopping at a jam rather than criticising those in the drivers seat and waiting impatiently for their turn.

--------------------

thenaturallevel

#669832 - 21/10/08 08:09 AM
Ivan, are you still grooving man

IvanSC

Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: thenaturallevel]
      #669847 - 21/10/08 08:33 AM
Nope - this morning I be truckin`.

This weekend I will be snoozing.
2 gigs, sat night and sunday afternoon working for my old boss with his country band.
On a borrowed Behringer bass amp and a hohner jack bass with knackered strings.
I can hardly contain myself.
And-a root fifth root fifth root fifth

--------------------

Gorrion

#670051 - 21/10/08 04:39 PM
It is definitely a bass player and drummer thing, for better or worse.

And it's the bass player who makes the people dance.

molecular

Loc: north a bit, west a bit
Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: Gorrion]
      #670156 - 21/10/08 10:11 PM
Quote Gorrion:

I feel this thread taking off again....

--------------------
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja
http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: Gorrion]
      #670161 - 21/10/08 10:22 PM
Quote Gorrion:

It is definitely a bass player and drummer thing, for better or worse.

There it is

SmokeHouseStudio

Loc: Lowestoft, Suffolk
      #670198 - 22/10/08 01:10 AM
Ivan, you make a good point, but...

I recently posted a thread 'flawed vs flawless' which explored the feeling that early 60's/70's records sounded better for a variety of different reasons... musicianship, gear used (minimal), experimentation etc.

The point is, at the end of it all, it's all subjective.

Sure I might prefer the sound of those early records, others may prefer the cutting edge sounds of today.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that todays generation of musicians have never listened to motown, or bluegrass, or whatever your flavour of choice is. There are possibly more kids out that hammering away at a guitar than there ever has been... and there's a reason they're playing what they're playing, whether it's edgy disco-indie-beat, deathcore metal or drum and bass... it's because it's new and it's what they want to hear.

Perhaps when you were a lad, you were lectured to about how music is becoming crude and lazy... we'll never hear another group like 'harry roy and his dance orchestra' again.

Musicianship is on the rise again... sure there will be the ever increasing divide between music and 'pop' music, but there will be a much cooler scene beneath the surface.

You really shouldn't put down contemporary music styles, if they give joy to people, then it's a positive thing...
I choose not to listen to 99% of what's out there, but I won't critisize those that do, and I'll keep an open mind and often give things a second listen...

--------------------
'Just another Idiot with an opinion'

IvanSC

#670220 - 22/10/08 07:23 AM
Smokehouse - if you asctually read what I have written here and in your thread thoroughly, I am not commenting at all on musical genres here - purely on the ability of people young and old these days as regards playing ensemble in a way that makes people want to dance.
Laying down a groove.
Call it what you want.

As someone who has worked in everything from a raga group to C&W via orchestral, soul, motown, rock `n roll, blues... you name it, I am not exactly averse to different forms of music.

My point is more that whilst there might be "more people picking up a guitar" - which I doubt - today, they are doin gso largely in their bedrooms/garages & not gettin gthe experience of playin gwith others.
I learned my licks on an old portable record player by picking up the needle and running it back over the track a zillion times, then going out and playing the songs I learnt with similarly inept, spotty youths either in school or at the local weekly youth club dances.
But it helped make me as a musician.
Nowadays the kids have far less opportunities to get out there and play together in front of an audience while they are learning their craft.
I am pretty sure this has a huge effect on their ability to groove.

--------------------

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#670249 - 22/10/08 08:39 AM
3000 views and not a single analysis of the 'hair theory'.

Dunno, might have to lock this thread due to lack of PC about hair.
I'll wait it out to see if I get any complaints.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

Freuman

Loc: Benfleet, Essex, UK
Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: Zukan]
      #670316 - 22/10/08 11:16 AM
A decent afro would help...

Something quite interesting is the fact that it only seems to be bassists and drummers that are interested in getting a groove going.

Just remember:

"You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket..."

--------------------
11011110110010101111 - 110000001111111111101110 - 101110101101
Hexadecimal binary coding anyone?

IvanSC

#670325 - 22/10/08 11:30 AM
but that`s because we bassists like having drummers for pets.
Nobody else goes near `em.

Mind you I think the lead guitarist problem with what to do with those funny boring bits between solos doesnt help matters.
Thank god for keyboard players - sitting on a comfy chair holding down a huge obliterating pad with one`s left hand all night not only takes no effort but also doesn`t seem to affect the groove apart from making it less audible.

This is why bassists and drummers should play louder than everyone else put together.

And I cant believe you used "afro" and "decent" in the same sentence.

Hugg E. Bear....

--------------------

tomafd

Loc: uk
      #670329 - 22/10/08 11:36 AM
Quote IvanSC:

Thank god for keyboard players - sitting on a comfy chair holding down a huge obliterating pad with one`s left hand all night not only takes no effort but also doesn`t seem to affect the groove apart from making it less audible.

Indeed. I once had a special preset for my rig- number 24- which when called up would summon up not only obliterating pads, but also a host of lunatic sound fx and general noise, which was bloody useful for reminding the guitarist that it was time to shut the [ ****** ] up on his tedious soloing and get back to the groove. It was quite loud enough to obliterate drums and bass as well, and once made the drummer fall off his stool... How We Larfed.

--------------------
http://anotherfineday.bandcamp.com/ http://anotherfineday.co.uk http://apollomusic.co.uk

IvanSC

Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: tomafd]
      #670398 - 22/10/08 01:33 PM
tomafd = you HAVE to share.
You have no idea how many times I have wished for something like that, Could have used it on a gonzo drummer I had the misfortune to work with TWICE recently.

Bet it`s a patch that only works on some obscure piece of keyboard kit and unreproducable by other means.
Still like an mp3 if poss....

Oh - and if you don`t think keyboard prejudice isn`t alive and well, pop over to that classical site I keep banging on about and have a look in the "non-classical music" discussion area.

--------------------

Revson

Loc: California
Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: Handlestash]
      #670593 - 23/10/08 06:27 AM
Oh yeah, that's a beautiful thing.

tomafd

Loc: uk
      #670648 - 23/10/08 09:21 AM
Quote IvanSC:

tomafd = you HAVE to share.
You have no idea how many times I have wished for something like that, Could have used it on a gonzo drummer I had the misfortune to work with TWICE recently.

Bet it`s a patch that only works on some obscure piece of keyboard kit and unreproducable by other means.
Still like an mp3 if poss....

Oh - and if you don`t think keyboard prejudice isn`t alive and well, pop over to that classical site I keep banging on about and have a look in the "non-classical music" discussion area.

I was playing with a bunch of folk in the 'world' music territory, and my job, amongst the usual, was to reproduce the atmosphere of being in a Cameroonian forest, as recorded by the main members of the band when hanging out with the forest people there. Including their rather gorgeous singing and drumming. I was running an old Akai S1100 on stage, along with a Prophet VS synth, so preset 24 would bring up a HUGE pad off the VS with much filter sweeps on the edge of resonance break-up, and on the S1100, a different sound effect on every note in the bottom 2 octaves, along with massed forest people singing across the 2 middle octaves, and yet more sound fx across the top 2 octaves, including thunder...

So a ten note chord.... especially using the thunder fx... could do some serious damage. Vast filter sweeps, massed singing and drumming, thunder, rain, jungle creatures yelling, cicadas, you name it, some of it slowed down for added low end impact. A BBC nature doc soundtrack gone gonzo on steroids, and probably a touch of acid as well.

Oh yes... I forgot the variation which also kicked in the VS's arpeggiator on top in full 'aciiiid !' mode. Over the top is putting it mildly.

--------------------
http://anotherfineday.bandcamp.com/ http://anotherfineday.co.uk http://apollomusic.co.uk

IvanSC

#670671 - 23/10/08 10:17 AM
Phwoarrr!

Now that`s what I call POWER!

--------------------

IvanSC

#670897 - 23/10/08 04:27 PM
I just inadvertently landed myself right in put up or shut up land.
Some of you are going to like them, some of you are going to ram them right downn my throat.

2 demo tracks off a cassette are in the readers wives area.
The keyboard player who lives in Canada now sent me an mp3

Wot I dun in about 1974/5

--------------------

turbodave

Loc: derbyshire uk
      #670913 - 23/10/08 04:42 PM
I did a John Peel session about 4/5 years ago and the engineers at maida vale were chuffed to be working with people who could play(lay down a groove)....for a change!

--------------------
My head hurts!

IvanSC

#670922 - 23/10/08 05:29 PM
how very sad.

--------------------

IvanSC

#678487 - 15/11/08 11:59 AM
Juuust kidding!

--------------------

ken long

#678489 - 15/11/08 12:07 PM
You done did revive this monster!

ken

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

IvanSC

#678498 - 15/11/08 12:31 PM
Actually, it was hearing the monster grooves put down by those funkaholics, Coldplay that prompted me.

Shake yo` bootie down!

P.S. Won`t SOMEbody comment on me managing to upload an Avatar after seventeen years on the forum?

I was so proud......

--------------------

ken long

#678502 - 15/11/08 12:45 PM
Quote IvanSC:

P.S. Won`t SOMEbody comment on me managing to upload an Avatar after seventeen years on the forum?

I was so proud......

I did. In the future of the music biz.

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

IvanSC

Re: Can`t anybody groove any more? new [Re: ken long]
      #678511 - 15/11/08 01:11 PM
Quote Ken Long:

Quote IvanSC:

I was so proud......

I did. In the future of the music biz.

Quote:

ken

nice smiley Mr T.

Why.... so you did!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 39667

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media