Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
Re: Audio myths new [Re: johnny h]
      #813501 - 20/02/10 09:48 PM
Quote johnny h:

Dont think you ever did

No - I probably didn't.

But if you want to believe that some tunesters banging out (in all fairness, rather good) ditties to order have a deeper understanding of music and 'soul' than others, so be it.

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Audio myths new [Re: hollowsun]
      #813517 - 20/02/10 11:26 PM
I'm constantly dismayed by the suggestion that 'popular' automatically equates to 'good'. By that standard McDonalds must be the best food on the planet.

And if longevity is anything to go by then 'three blind mice' must be one heck of a song.

Simplicity sells, but some of us are looking for a little more.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

narcoman

Re: Audio myths new [Re: The Elf]
      #813526 - 21/02/10 12:12 AM
here here

Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
Re: Audio myths new [Re: hugol]
      #813574 - 21/02/10 01:12 PM
I more or less agree, but at the same time simple tunes have their place.

If I'm a bit stressed and want to chill out, a nice easy-listening tune is exactly what I want.

I read some time ago (sorry can't remember where) that when you listen to music your brain tries to guess what the next note will be, and every time it gets it right, gives itself a mental pat on the back. Whereas when it's wrong a sort of alert warning is given and you end up paying more attention.

This would seem to fall in line with my experience that when I specifically want to listen to music, the simple stuff doesn't cut it.

The exception (for me) is music that is obviously composed purely to show of how clever the performer is - that irritates me and i'll get away from it as fast as I can.

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

johnny h

#813585 - 21/02/10 02:37 PM
Quote hollowsun:

Quote johnny h:

Dont think you ever did

No - I probably didn't.

But if you want to believe that some tunesters banging out (in all fairness, rather good) ditties to order have a deeper understanding of music and 'soul' than others, so be it.

I'm not sure how you can conclude this to be honest.

hollowsun

Re: Audio myths new [Re: Folderol]
      #813599 - 21/02/10 03:42 PM
Quote Folderol:

Of course they do.

But the assertion made earlier that Motown's writers had a deeper understanding of music than others was absurd.

--------------------

Edited by hollowsun (21/02/10 03:42 PM)

johnny h

#813607 - 21/02/10 04:00 PM
Quote hollowsun:

Quote Folderol:

Of course they do.

But the assertion made earlier that Motown's writers had a deeper understanding of music than others was absurd.

Oh no it wasn't...

hollowsun

Re: Audio myths new [Re: johnny h]
      #813625 - 21/02/10 04:44 PM
I thought the panto season was over now!

--------------------

Wizard Moon Chopper

Re: Audio myths new [Re: hugol]
      #813626 - 21/02/10 04:44 PM
What's so great abou having a deep understanding of music, anyway? Surely to have a deep understanding means to have a deep knowledge of what has gone before, and that just means you are efficient at making things that are like stuff that's been done before. Ok if you do that for a living, perhaps an orchestrator or arranger, but not much good if you aspire to make new fresh and exciting contemporary music. All that education will just be a hinderance.

As Roger Waters said "if you can play it's hard not to copy things, but we couldn't play, we couldn't copy things."

If by 'understanding' you mean being in touch with your wizard spirit muso soul, then ok, i'd go along with that.

desmond

Re: Audio myths new [Re: Wizard Moon Chopper]
      #813629 - 21/02/10 05:02 PM
Quote The Southern Baptist:

Surely to have a deep understanding means to have a deep knowledge of what has gone before, and that just means you are efficient at making things that are like stuff that's been done before.

I don't think that necessarily follows. For instance, if I have a greater knowledge of the guitar and how to make it sing, where the notes are and how to do various techniques, it helps me construct music that goes to different places compared to if I only had a basic knowledge (a few chords for instance).

Sometimes that knowledge helps you break away from things that have gone before (in as much as it's possible to do these days.)

Sure, knowledge doesn't guarantee *good* music - there are plenty of widdly widdly guitarists who have amazing technique but not much originality, soul or inspiration. And I'm sure that sometimes it *can* get in the way - lots of good music is made by people who have seemingly less skills or technique.

Limitations can be good, and they can be bad. Really, it's not down to any one thing - the quality of the music is purely down to the creator, and the listener, and are the result of many many variables on a given day.

Wizard Moon Chopper

Re: Audio myths new [Re: desmond]
      #813643 - 21/02/10 05:33 PM
Quote desmond:

Limitations can be good, and they can be bad. Really, it's not down to any one thing - the quality of the music is purely down to the creator, and the listener, and are the result of many many variables on a given day.

That quote should be framed and hung over the entrance to the forum.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 55901

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media