The government's UK copyright law site outlines the IPO and Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, the principal legislation covering intellectual property rights in the United Kingdom and the work to which it applies.

Main Forums >> Music Business
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)
Rick Taylor

Loc: Chicago
Re: Come on... show us your sites... new [Re: Rowboffin]
      #106175 - 25/03/05 12:38 PM
Quote Rowboffin:

Dunno if you care but the menus don't work well at 800x600 since the floated
  • elements that should be on the far right get shoved down on to a new line as the menu bar is too wide. Maybe 9em width would work better.

• It does seem like that text block should wrap.

...Nice site though.

--------------------
    www.RTaylor-Design.Com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
    PWGLE

Loc: UK - Cardiff/Bath
          #106257 - 25/03/05 06:28 PM
    Quote Rowboffin:

Kudos for going for a standards compliant design. Just a few comments...

You need to set the z-index of the ul element to ensure that your dropdowns appear over the top of other elements like the imageside div. z-index:3; will be fine.

Ah very cunning! I've implemented that! Learn somthing new everyday!

Quote Rowboffin:

In the imageside div tag you need to put quotes around the id value (i.e.
    ) cos without them IE6 isn't displaying the background-image.

Tried it, and it still doesn't work. I think its the way IE is reading the layers, however I'm not sure. Need to reasearch this issue.

Quote Rowboffin:

Dunno if you care but the menus don't work well at 800x600 since the floated
  • elements that should be on the far right get shoved down on to a new line as the menu bar is too wide. Maybe 9em width would work better.

• Totally agree! done!

Quote Rowboffin:

There's no link back to the home page from any of the other pages. I don't know if this is generally the case but our clients ALWAYS moan if we forget to provide a link back to the home page (unless its just a splash screen or similar).

Top logo is now a link. (thank god! the menu is driven from a single file! (menu.php)

Quote Rowboffin:

I think you need to have more colour on the menu, logo and page header bar, perhaps just use borders to add a hint of extra colour. For example the menu bar
  • elements could have left and right borders which would also make them appear more evenly spaced (if you know what I mean). The fact that the dropdown menus are the same colour as the title bar that they overlap makes them look a bit odd, too. If they're going to be the same colour then I think the dropdowns need a border of some kind.

• I agree mainly, but the company wanted a slick grey look.
    I experimented with borders, but they didn't achieve the desired effect.

Quote Rowboffin:

One last comment on the layout: I think the imagebar would look better if its right edge was aligned with the right edge of the menu bar and footer. There's a couple of ways that you could arrange that but my approach would be to shove the content div away from the left edge of the browser window so that its left edge is inline with the right side of the "S" in the ETS logo and expand its width so that it pushed the imagebar into line.

I usually use the STRICT DTD to force IE6 into standards mode when doing CSS layouts as it can help to get things looking consistent and keep box-model hacks to a minimum.

I hope you glean something useful from that. As ever YMMV...

Thank you for all your comments! they are very much appericated!

Rick I went for the justification you suggested, improves the layout loads!

www.msweb.co.uk/ets

Laurence

--------------------
    P.I.G.L.E.T - where is polly?

Edited by Giant with Laser Eyes (25/03/05 06:33 PM)

Rowboffin

Re: Come on... show us your sites... new [Re: Designnotes]
          #106324 - 25/03/05 09:52 PM
    Rowboffin Quote:

Quote Rowboffin:

In the imageside div tag you need to put quotes around the id value (i.e. <div id="imageside"> </div>) cos without them IE6 isn't displaying the background-image.

Tried it, and it still doesn't work. I think its the way IE is reading the layers, however I'm not sure. Need to reasearch this issue.

Yeah, after having a proper look at the markup and css I realise that the problem is the way that IE handles floats differently to other browsers. Rather than using relative positioning for the imagebar you should give it a large enough left-margin to push it past the main-body element (652px or thereabouts).

PWGLE

#106342 - 25/03/05 11:09 PM
    Ah cunning! and then I take it you would need to set the position to "static"

The only other thing I'm having difficulties with, is the drop down menus dont postion correctly in IE.

Thanks for all your help!
    You are a star!

--------------------

Rowboffin

#106509 - 26/03/05 03:33 PM
    Glad to help, Laurence.

You don't need to set the position to static explicitly since that's the default for any element which doesn't have a positioning specified, but in the strict sense you're right- the positioning scheme for the imagebar should be "static" since you want it to stay within the normal flow.

A quick fix for your menus- change the li ul selector thus:

li ul
    {
    display: none;
    position: absolute;
    width: 9em;
    top: 2em;
    }

And add z-index:3; to both the li and ul selector blocks.

Voila! Dropdown menus that work in IE!

PWGLE

#106836 - 27/03/05 06:39 PM
    For some reason due to the way IE read DIV layers, its positining it reative to the last layer. So it works with a small margin, however the same can't be said for firefox which doesnt...

www.msweb.co.uk/ets

Any ideas?

--------------------

person man

Re: Come on... show us your sites... new [Re: Rob C]
          #106888 - 27/03/05 08:43 PM
    this thread has turned into a stink-ass webmaster circlejerk....

the thread is titled "show us your sites". Not "looking for help getting your unrelated site centered?" or "sites: shown and critiqued". I think you guys should be making new threads for alot of the crap you post here.

btw I love that name: "show us your sites"

PWGLE

Re: Come on... show us your sites... new [Re: person man]
          #106895 - 27/03/05 09:04 PM
    to be fair this forum gets very little postage, and some of the posts we've had over the last week have been very valuabe for anyone designing...

i'm sorry//lg goes off and dies...

--------------------

Edited by Giant with Laser Eyes (27/03/05 09:05 PM)

person man

#106931 - 27/03/05 10:38 PM
    Quote:

i'm sorry//lg goes off and dies...

LOL!!! hey dude don't die. I think it's GREAT that you hang around! dont be a bum! .... Jesus!

but you have to admit that this thread is a bit far gone from the very cool way that it was started... Ha! "show us your sites". I still feel my balls hit my skull when I laugh at that one!

Anyway whatever. I just always checked up on this thread to see what the forum dudes made on the web for their music. And it was always full of cool stuff. But even Ian (the king of rightiousness) started telling people what was wrong with their sites. I was bummed. And at this point its like full of comments and empty of sites. So I'm bummed about that. And I hope that people start posting their problems in regards to internet publishing in a thread that is not called "show us your sites". That's all.

Anyway.... Mr. giant dude, dont be bummed.

*gregster*
    Ceilidh godfather

Loc: Glass Cow
          #107372 - 29/03/05 11:03 AM
    oops. I've just noticed people getting annoyed at slightly OT posts...

ah well I'll post my question elsewhere

--------------------
    Ceilidh Band Scotland
    Wedding Music Scotland

Edited by *gregster* (29/03/05 11:09 AM)

*gregster*
    Ceilidh godfather

#111747 - 07/04/05 08:19 PM
    I've just done a quick update to my site which hints at the graphical layout that the full site will have in the next few months. I'd appreciate everyone's comments on
    A) the appearance/navigation of the site
    B) the quality of the musical samples (be brutal)

g

--------------------
    Ceilidh Band Scotland
    Wedding Music Scotland

Spy!

Loc: k, stock & barrel.
          #115551 - 15/04/05 11:00 AM
    Roll Your Own Productions

Still a bit light on content (rather like my head) but I'll work on that and the 'look' of the site as and when I can. To that end, any comments or suggestions are welcome.

--------------------
    One Love, Spy!
    Blog | Podcasts | Tunes

*gregster*
    Ceilidh godfather

Re: Come on... show us your sites... new [Re: Spy!]
          #115598 - 15/04/05 12:05 PM
    Hey Spy. The text is quite spaced out, and could probably fit in a much smaller space, so that it scans better. The dice are nice-looking but the graphics are inconsistent stylistically throughout the site. It's pretty difficult to do that well, so I'd recommend either copying someone else's site closely or getting a graphically aware friend to give you a colour and styling scheme.
    You should probably aim to use the images to visually say what the text is already saying: people might think it's a gambling site, otherwise...

The tone of the text is good and friendly though: if I was browsing, looking for someone to collaborate with I wouldn't feel intimidated into not phoning you.

g

--------------------
    Ceilidh Band Scotland
    Wedding Music Scotland

Rob C

#115779 - 15/04/05 07:35 PM
    Spy,

Write out 100 times: I am not an "aspiring producer". That's between you and your learning curve. You are a PRODUCER. How many producers are there in the UK? Did they pass some kind of test?

"Born and raised..." Don't start with that. Start with what you think people will want to see in your first sentence. Do they want to know where you were born? Or that you are brewing some audio shock and awe with your collective? You are passionate about what you do... I know that, don't tell them where you were born (unless there's some genealogy vibe happening here that I don't know about).

Visuals obviously need pepping up. Where it's at now, you could get that onto one page and make it more immediate while you work on Mark 2.

Are the dice edgy enough for your site name? They made me smile, but perhaps the other theme will ring more bells with your target demographic?

That's just one view... a lot of people (and I think I've heard from each and every one) find my style too direct. So it's not the law.

But I want to see a smoking version two. Happy to do you some words if it helps. Good start (way better than my Mark One).

Spy!

Loc: k, stock & barrel.
          #115879 - 16/04/05 12:08 AM
    Greetings gregster & Rob,

Thanks for taking a look and finding the time to comment.

Quote *gregster*:

Hey Spy. The text is quite spaced out, and could probably fit in a much smaller space, so that it scans better. The dice are nice-looking but the graphics are inconsistent stylistically throughout the site. It's pretty difficult to do that well, so I'd recommend either copying someone else's site closely or getting a graphically aware friend to give you a colour and styling scheme.
    You should probably aim to use the images to visually say what the text is already saying: people might think it's a gambling site, otherwise...

The tone of the text is good and friendly though: if I was browsing, looking for someone to collaborate with I wouldn't feel intimidated into not phoning you.

Thanks g, I've made a few alterations to the 'look' of the site, but not much to the content as yet. It is definitely something I need to work on

Quote Rob C.:

Spy,

Write out 100 times: I am not an "aspiring producer". That's between you and your learning curve. You are a PRODUCER. How many producers are there in the UK? Did they pass some kind of test?

"Born and raised..." Don't start with that. Start with what you think people will want to see in your first sentence. Do they want to know where you were born? Or that you are brewing some audio shock and awe with your collective? You are passionate about what you do... I know that, don't tell them where you were born (unless there's some genealogy vibe happening here that I don't know about).

Visuals obviously need pepping up. Where it's at now, you could get that onto one page and make it more immediate while you work on Mark 2.

Are the dice edgy enough for your site name? They made me smile, but perhaps the other theme will ring more bells with your target demographic?

That's just one view... a lot of people (and I think I've heard from each and every one) find my style too direct. So it's not the law.

But I want to see a smoking version two. Happy to do you some words if it helps. Good start (way better than my Mark One).

Cheers Rob, as far as the dice are concerned, I thought that the 'other' connotation was a little too obvious so I thought I'd try something different, but I see what you're saying

Quote:

Happy to do you some words if it helps.

That's a very generous offer, don't be surprised if I take you up on that

--------------------
    One Love, Spy!
    Blog | Podcasts | Tunes

Rob C

#116035 - 16/04/05 02:55 PM
    Please do. You've got nothing to lose... I'm not worried if you throw them in the bin.

slatepipe

Loc: leeds at the moment
          #119053 - 22/04/05 03:11 PM
    please be having a look at www.slatepipe.co.uk.
    theres a 15 minute krautrock kind of thing to download in the popup window on the enter page which we made from scratch and performed live in a week. then if you look in the downloads section theres plenty of stuff to listen to which has been done either with an old tascam 4 track, a roland vs840 and a regular pc.
    have a look and a listen and let me know what you think
    x

*gregster*
    Ceilidh godfather

Re: Come on... show us your sites... new [Re: slatepipe]
          #119075 - 22/04/05 03:52 PM
    wwooooo! out there, but a nice site nonetheless. A real touch of the being slightly odd being about it.
    I think it's affecting me...

I couldn't dig the music, but then I'm quite a mainstream kind of guy, and this stuff is so far from the mainstream the drinking water probably costs about £50 a bottle.

--------------------
    Ceilidh Band Scotland
    Wedding Music Scotland

Rob C

#119513 - 23/04/05 07:26 PM
    Dude, your link has a stray full stop (period) at the end. But I like the site, very good.

GlynB

Loc: Lancashire, UK.
          #120242 - 25/04/05 12:57 PM
    Quote slatepipe:

please be having a look at www.slatepipe.co.uk.
    theres a 15 minute krautrock kind of thing to download in the popup window on the enter page which we made from scratch and performed live in a week. then if you look in the downloads section theres plenty of stuff to listen to which has been done either with an old tascam 4 track, a roland vs840 and a regular pc.
    have a look and a listen and let me know what you think
    x

Didn't listen, at work, but the site looks good. Nice balance of cleverness of design, without losing the obvious, ie links to information which is what a site exists for. Good job.

--------------------

Temp

Loc: Rochester, UK
          #120380 - 25/04/05 05:49 PM
    Been working on this for the last few months...

Forum - Main Forums : Music Business

slatepipe

Loc: leeds at the moment
          #120484 - 25/04/05 09:59 PM
    thanks for the nice comments fellers. i'll get a bit of updating done soonish

*gregster*
    Ceilidh godfather

Re: Come on... show us your sites... new [Re: Temp]
          #120629 - 26/04/05 08:39 AM
    is that one from "temp" a spam?

Didn't like that thing in the signature, so I've adblocked it.
    Not the best place to first-post I would have said. But I will stand humbly corrected if I see the person's post count go up.

--------------------
    Ceilidh Band Scotland
    Wedding Music Scotland

Temp

#121036 - 26/04/05 08:46 PM
    Perhaps I misunderstood the thread's purpose, but I understood it to be a place where you showcased music communities/artist websites that you're working on:

"I know a lot of forum regulars have got music sites... here's your opportunity to whack them up and tell us what you're doing... don't be shy..."

I just wanted to embed a little Flash in my post seeing that the feature was there - being Active X, this may have prompted your browser agent to throw an alert up (Gregster). I'm no stranger to spam, and being a webworker I have to face that crap every day. Thumbs up for your vigilance though.

Anyway, visit addasong.com if you get a chance and sign up if you're in need of yet another platform for your original music - I've worked my proverbial a** off on this site and I'm trying to get more artists on there. I guess its virtual base is in Medway, Kent - where I am - but we have artists from all over the place. It's been lovingly hand-coded by yours truly and has NO commercial links or ads whatsoever.

I'm also in the habit of upping people's space, features and bandwidth if they simply log-in from time to time and upload their music - a gift for simply participating. The site does have inbuilt IRSC coding and Paypal option for those that wish to sell their musical wares. When DRM and the UK Internet music infrastructure has settled I'll think about doing a proper launch with serious features such as integration with the official download charts, licensing protocols and other emergent music-based web technologies.

And when I get some more capital of course.

Cheers.

davesz

#121080 - 26/04/05 09:54 PM
    Yes, music production came to a stop for a few weeks whilst I got to grips with putting this together...anyway, there's free mp3s and video clips as well as info on our maximum ear-wiggle technology for your entertainment on the site below.

Strangefates.com

Rob C

#121296 - 27/04/05 10:08 AM
    Yep, that's what it's about. Greg's just being cautious... we do get the usual spam here, but's there's a world of difference between your stuff and say CokeMusic.

I like the site. You've done a good job with what is a rather over-done genre. The world probably doesn't need another CokeMusic but more artist-driven download sites can't be a bad thing.

I'd suggest the trick is getting a coherent vibe going with your artists and visitors... people don't want the 'record shop' experience, they want the club or small label experience. But good luck with the whole thing...

ISRCs and all that tend to come up in the music biz forum. You might get some interest for that facility there.

PWGLE

#121365 - 27/04/05 11:36 AM
    I was very impressed with the design, my personally opionion would be its a little cluttered, but its a nice piece of design...

Good luck with it all!

--------------------

*gregster*
    Ceilidh godfather

Re: Come on... show us your sites... new [Re: *gregster*]
          #122025 - 28/04/05 02:46 PM
    Quote *gregster*:

is that one from "temp" a spam?

Didn't like that thing in the signature, so I've adblocked it.
    Not the best place to first-post I would have said. But I will stand humbly corrected if I see the person's post count go up.

/retracted. welcome temp!
    g

--------------------
    Ceilidh Band Scotland
    Wedding Music Scotland

PWGLE

Re: Come on... show us your sites... new [Re: *gregster*]
          #124136 - 03/05/05 09:16 PM
    started redesigning my site (how often do I do this!?)

the idea is that the rooms will have objects, and as you move the mouse u get infomation for the object below the room, so if you want to access your files you click on the filing cabinet....

still designing it at the moment... its either gonna work or suck...
    its taking time to do it all in piant tho!

www.msweb.co.uk

--------------------

OD23

#124191 - 03/05/05 11:23 PM
    Well, I just redesigned my site - it's from a template, but to be fair I've made quite a few changes...

o

--------------------
    www.facebook.com/owenduffmusic / http://soundcloud.com/owenduff / www.owenduff.co.uk / http://www.youtube.com/clothmotherrecords

PWGLE

Re: Come on... show us your sites... new [Re: OD23]
          #124238 - 04/05/05 06:32 AM
    Hey how are things going Owen...

I remeber listening to some of your tracks last year, really liked them.
    Site looks ok, but the adverts kinda make it a bit disjointed...

Good luck with it all....

--------------------

OD23

#124284 - 04/05/05 08:46 AM
    Thanks Laurence,

Yeah those Lycos ads are a pain - could you p.m me about your hosting service?

Thanks,

O

--------------------
    www.facebook.com/owenduffmusic / http://soundcloud.com/owenduff / www.owenduff.co.uk / http://www.youtube.com/clothmotherrecords

Rob C

#124325 - 04/05/05 10:01 AM
    The Tripod pages are a bit weird all round. The site looks OK on a PC (I had probs last time with Safari, I'll have a look tonight) but you can't use the back button. That's Tripod rather than your site though.

Biog's a bit thin... and perhaps too personal?

mogollon2004

Loc: Australia
          #124385 - 04/05/05 11:51 AM
    Hi All,

I just joined this magnificent magazine and the forum...

In my web page you can find a bit of World-Jazz and a fusion of Rhythms, here it is...

www.franciscom.bizmail.com.au

Enjoy,
    Frank

Temp

#125855 - 06/05/05 10:19 PM
    Owen - I'd also gladly host your music.

It's outstanding. Nice groove on 'London...'.

Your website, however, doesn't really do you any justice, but that's ok as you should be concentrating on your music and not web-design. I'll design you a little site if you want. At the very least, get some stuff up on Addasong.com - it's free and gives you loads of tools to present yourself and your work. No ads or pop-ups.

Give us a shout. The more the merrier.

PWGLE

#125893 - 07/05/05 12:01 AM
    You got P.M.

Just in case anyone else is interested,

Free 50mg Hosting, No Adds, FTP, PHP, 1 MySQL Database
    £2 a year deal - 250mg, 2x FTP Acccounts, PHP, 5 MySQL DB's,

We are pretty flexible and relaxed. If you ever need any help we general respond within 6 hours. Just talk to our customers they are all happy! and thats the way its got ta be!

--------------------

OD23

#127985 - 11/05/05 04:59 PM
    Hi all, thanks for the response. I've had not had internet at work for 3 weeks (outrageous!) so haven't been able to post, will catch up on the PMs asap...

O

--------------------

Rob C

#128042 - 11/05/05 08:30 PM
    Tripod still doesn't work great on Safari... but it's OK on IE.

__
    Who's never been here

#140499 - 09/06/05 11:28 AM
    http://www.theopenwater.com/ just in case anyone is surfing

PWGLE

Re: Come on... show us your sites... new [Re: __]
          #140774 - 09/06/05 08:25 PM
    I like the openwater site, I think you could improve it loads just by changing the font? It looks a bit out of place the font?

Nice music tho.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
    3 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
    Forum Permissions
          You cannot start new topics
          You cannot reply to topics
          HTML is disabled
          UBBCode is enabled
    Rating: ****
    Thread views: 632054

May 2014
    On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
    SOS Web Shop)
    SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
    Click image for May 2014
    DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
    The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media