Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Paul Farrer

Notes From The DreadLion
      #939278 - 07/09/11 07:30 PM
A couple of weeks ago a spare Mac Pro of mine that I keep overseas (and is a clone of my main studio machine) died. So I thought in the interests of portability and driving the economy towards full health - I’d get a new Mac Mini Server.
First of all, from what I can gather, any new mac you buy from now on will work only with Lion. AND YOU CANNOT EVER run Snow Leopard on it. Think about that. Every update of every piece of computer hardware in its history has allowed some degree of backwards compatibility until now. That apparently ends with all new computers from the Mac Mini 2011 onwards. Lion comes installed and even if you partition a part of the HD or a spare HD and install SL via target mode with another mac, it will never boot from it. I have a number of more dedicated mac/hacker friends scouring the forums for a hack to get SL into a new generation of Mac, but at the moment it looks (for anything other than a total hardcore hacker geek prepared to re-programme Boot RAMs etc) completely un-doable.

This is a truly baffling decision on Apple’s part.

Given that Lion is from what I can see not that much of a major leap forward and that given the large number of third party plug-ins I use not one manufacturer currently has any Lion tested versions of their software available, and Spectrasonics even go so far as to actively advise people to avoid Lion at this stage, surely all this is going to do is drive up the price of second had Macs. I mean seriously, how many pro-users would make the leap to a new machine if the vast majority of their third party software is currently un-supported?

The slightly better news is that having spent three days doing a full clean install of my studio computer onto the mac-mini I can report that if you are prepared to be patient and accept a few annoying loses, it does seem to work. And it's very fast. And stable.
The biggest problem is that Lion won’t run any Power PC applications. So if you use any plug-ins older than about 5 years, you had better hope there are some fairly up to date installers available or it will never work. Frustratingly sometimes the plug-in will install, but the extra bit of software that (for example locates the plug-in’s sound files, or authorizes it) will have some Power PC element to it that simply will never work on your system. Ever.

Also mysteriously Lion decides to hide your User/Library folder. It even hides it from finder’s ‘Go’ drop down menu unless you hold down SHIFT whist pressing GO. Once you can see it there, you can drag it into the finder’s side bar, but it resolutely refuses to appear in the HD/User folder.
Apple seriously WHAT THE [ ****** ] is that about?
And Lion won’t run anything but the very latest version of Logic 9 and if you run it in 64bit mode it won’t run Audio Unit validation on anything. Except a couple of plug-ins it appears happy to validate. Everything else it just pretends you’ve never installed. Baffling.

So at the end of the three days I have installed 90% of my studio system and to its credit the new Mac Mini Server is an awesome piece of compact and powerful hardware but it hasn’t been exactly a smooth ride because of 10.7 and before you buy anything from Apple in future make sure your beloved plug-ins will be Lion friendly, because if the Lion isn’t happy there is NO TURNING BACK.

I hate to say this because I’ve been drinking the Apple cool-aid for many years and been the Mac’s most vocal apologist, but if I was a cynical man I’d say this whole LION-only path smells very much of the iPad-ification of the company. If you factor in the titanic corporate embarrassment that was Final Cut Pro X it bodes very VERY badly for Logic Pro X. And If anyone from Apple is reading this and they have seen that the development of Logic Pro X makes it look and feel a bit like a shiny version of Garage Band Pro, as far as I’m concerned it will mark the absolute the end of the Mac as a pro platform. And I’d ask Apple to remember that it is the pro-user community that have been singing your praises longest, and whilst there is obviously much more dough is selling iPods to housewives we are your core user base and would like to be treated with a little more respect and sympathy.

Oh, and if anyone hears of any device for sale on this planet that has a Thunderbolt interface anywhere on it, please do let Apple know. Because it’s all starting to look a bit BetaMax and it’s only been out since February.

Edited by Paul Farrer (07/09/11 07:33 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
~Paul

Loc: South Herts/North London
Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: Paul Farrer]
      #939284 - 07/09/11 08:03 PM
Im pretty sure most of these points got covered in Mac Mini & Lion threads already.

But it isn't new that Macs won't accept an OS which is older than which they were supplied with. At least not in my 15+ years experience with them. So this isn't any different.
However, there actually are some hacks to get SL onto a new Mac Mini. But results are mixed. So personally, I wouldn't bother.

As for Thunderbolt. It's still early days. Do you remember how many USB peripherals were around when USB first came out? It wasn't so many either.. The Thunderbolt equipped Apple LCD looks nice though, and gives you additional USB and Firewire ports to boot..

--------------------
Paul

desmond

Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: ~Paul]
      #939291 - 07/09/11 08:24 PM
None of this stuff is new - as always, a bit of research before purchasing, rather than hoping everything is all going to be rosy helps make a more informed decision.

Buying brand new stuff with Apple always kinda forces you to move forward and lose backwards compatibility to varying degrees - something it's affects an individual more than others depending on the variables. I think most software is ok on Lion, you might have a few things that might give you problems, but again some research would inform you on how much of an affect that will have with your system.

It is what it is... :shrugs:

Probably the main reason I haven't gone Lion is there are still a few PPC things I like to have around (eg SoundDiver) which I'd lose by going Lion, and I'll probably keep a machine capable of running that stuff for the forseeable future, even if I upgrade machines in the meantime. More problematic for me is that I'll lose my UAD stuff and all my UAD software investments which is a far bigger problem (I refuse now to rebuy the same (fairly pricey) UAD DSP four times in a row just to keep running the plugins I paid for, I've had enough. Love the plugins, hate the hardware tax to keep my software investment running)

I see what you did with the thread title, there...

shirkethic

Loc: Los Angeles
      #939299 - 07/09/11 08:58 PM
Paul, you need to open Logic in 32 bit mode first so it can scan all your plugs, and then when you open in 64 bit mode it will have a '32 bit' menu in the plugin dropdowns for you to run all of them via the bit bridge..

Select the Logic app and hit apple-i to get the info, you'll see a checkbox to select 32 bit mode or not.

Cheers!

Paul

--------------------
------------------
paul-thomson.com

Paul Farrer

Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: shirkethic]
      #939370 - 08/09/11 06:09 AM
Yes I was aware of all these points before before I bought the Mac, but like the stubborn bastard I am I wanted to throw myself at the problem to see how much grief it gave me. I suppose my big problem is that while the hardware is really very nice indeed, and there's nothing drastically wrong with Lion unto itself I just felt like in all my years of buying and setting up complex studio systems on Macs that this version of the OS in connection with this hardware seemed strangely and annoyingly inflexible for the professional Logic user. And HAVING to bin some much loved plug-ins simply due to corporate inflexibility makes me angry.

Tui

Loc: Chiang Mai, Thailand
      #939376 - 08/09/11 06:55 AM
Agreed. Lion offers nothing drastically new but cuts out functions that many have got used to and love, like Spaces. Removing Rosetta was a truly mean thing to do - Apple must know that some pros still rely on older software, for a number of reasons (personally, I'm not going to re-buy Photoshop to be compatible, and I still use AppleWorks for writing and drawing).

As ever, some audio plug-ins aren't compatible with the new OS either, and they may never be.

I bought Lion, tried it out - and forgot about it. Frankly, it sucks. Installing it on my machines would be nothing but a downgrade from Snow Leopard.

chris...

Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: Tui]
      #939416 - 08/09/11 08:51 AM
Confused. I see the situation for PPC *apps* (e.g SoundDiver as Desmond mentions).

But I wasn't aware current Logic running on an Intel Mac could run PPC *plugins* at all.

So how come Lion is taking away PPC plugins ? Is this plugins that run via some sort of PPC plugin bridge type hack ?

Paul Farrer

Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: chris...]
      #939431 - 08/09/11 09:22 AM
It's not just that PPC plug ins are a no-no it's that often their installers or authenticators have PCC heritage and as such won't work. Steinberg virtual guitarist 2 is a terrific plug-in that I often use, and ironically the plug in works fine in Lion, however there is a tiny extra bit of software you need to run after it has installed which tells the plug in where the sound data is on your hard drive and that is PCC so it won't work. And of course there are no updates for this anywhere.
So for me the question is, would Lion have been 50% more terrible, slower and awful if they had kept PCC support? I seriously doubt it, as Snow Leopard running on Logic 9 is the most stable and powerful computer music system I have ever run since the Atari 1040st in the late 80s.
So to me it is definitely a case of 1 step forward, 2 steps back. And it all seems so pointless.

chris...

#939468 - 08/09/11 10:40 AM
Quote Paul Farrer:

It's not just that PPC plug ins are a no-no it's that often their installers or authenticators have PCC heritage and as such won't work. Steinberg virtual guitarist 2 is a terrific plug-in that I often use, and ironically the plug in works fine in Lion, however there is a tiny extra bit of software you need to run after it has installed which tells the plug in where the sound data is on your hard drive and that is PCC so it won't work.

Ah right thanks - so Steinberg were arsed to update the plugin itself to Intel (or "fat" PPC+Intel) but could not be arsed to update the needed extra bit of installer software

Quote:

So for me the question is, would Lion have been 50% more terrible, slower and awful if they had kept PCC support

I dunno. I guess they have to ditch it at some point.

Can just as easily blame Steinberg, who (in my experience, and to put it politely) have not exactly been good at supporting things they brought out more than a few femtoseconds ago...

In this case, I bet Steinberg could have fixed the installer with very little effort. Compare that against Apple potentially continuing to keep OSX 50% more terrible, for everyone.

G-Doubleyou

#939547 - 08/09/11 02:01 PM
Quote chris...:

Confused. I see the situation for PPC *apps* (e.g SoundDiver as Desmond mentions).

But I wasn't aware current Logic running on an Intel Mac could run PPC *plugins* at all.

So how come Lion is taking away PPC plugins ? Is this plugins that run via some sort of PPC plugin bridge type hack ?

The issue for a lot of plugs, and apps(most are universal binary ) are the installers, a large number of them use the PACE installer that requires Rossetta to work.

I installed lion on an external drive that contained a clone of my current install, 98% of my apps and plugs worked.

Lost some printer utilities, and had to update some plugs.

Lion can wait, for now, but I do take it out for a spin every now and then.

--------------------
G-Dub
Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Edited by G-Doubleyou (08/09/11 02:03 PM)

Aftertouch

#939620 - 08/09/11 08:03 PM
Quote Paul Farrer:

Oh, and if anyone hears of any device for sale on this planet that has a Thunderbolt interface anywhere on it, please do let Apple know. Because it’s all starting to look a bit BetaMax and it’s only been out since February.

Interesting comments Paul.

This might be something to help make good use of TB ports:

http://www.magma.com/thunderbolt.asp

Sonnet have a single slot version on the horizon.

croaky1956

#939647 - 08/09/11 11:20 PM
I,ve got logic pro with lion, some of my abbey road plug ins are waiting to be up dated but I,ll wait....I have to say though with all the ranting and raving and twoing and throwing about PC/MAC DAW,s, the Roland VS2480CD, that I own, out shines them all....it,s not perfect but it never crashes...I don,t have to update it...it does all that I want it to do as a musician...it,s just like the old days without the tape hiss and mechanical failures!...Paul, do you remember those days?...it works!

Paul Farrer

Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: croaky1956]
      #939689 - 09/09/11 08:21 AM
I agree it works. It's fast it's stable and both hardware and software are impressive. And allow us all to work and communicate incredibly efficiently. I've written many times how wonderful this digital/portable world is and what benefits it brings us.
What gets me is the really unfathomable decisions made by companies like Apple. The Power PC Mac Pro was discontinued in August 2006. And five years later it, and any software written for it is considered to be so obsolete that their new products won't run them.
Five years is not a long time and I don't like the idea that, as far as Apple are saying, a major investment in a big piece of kit like a Mac Pro should be seen as a disposable short term thing.
John Cleese said the big problem with the world is that everyone wants to create and no-one wants to maintain. And Apple appear to be saying 'ignore all those investments you made with us over the years, because everything older than five years is worthless and should be replaced.'

And from the environmental point of view (if nothing else) that's irresponsible.

Frank EleveldModerator

Loc: NL
      #939713 - 09/09/11 10:34 AM
Quote Paul Farrer:

And five years later it, and any software written for it is considered to be so obsolete that their new products won't run them.
Five years is not a long time and I don't like the idea that, as far as Apple are saying, a major investment in a big piece of kit like a Mac Pro should be seen as a disposable short term thing.

Paul: whilst I certainly understand the reasons you have brought up, I beg to disagree with the above. Five years is quite a long time in the Information Technology (and electronic) world. Whilst the decision to stop supporting the PowerPC platform is an unfortunate one that will undoubtly affect a lot of users, unfortunate choices like this one are sometimes necessary in order to keep developing the platform and the OS.

Five years is generally considered to be the economic life-span of IT equipment. Heck, at my daytime job, the manufacturer of our servers and computers stipulates in its service contract it keeps parts on stock for a period of three years, and after that, it cannot guarantee whether the equipment is even repairable. I'm afraid computers are not your typical power amps or monitor speakers which happen to keep going for years and years without the need for software or firmware updates.

The average consumer (which of course doesn't exist, but which is what companies like Apple design and manufacture their products for) want shiny features and ease of use, and at one time, the developments cause issues with older versions of their products. There wouldn't be any progress without impopular measures like this.

Cheers,
Frank

chris...

Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: Frank Eleveld]
      #939727 - 09/09/11 11:36 AM
Quote Frank Eleveld:

There wouldn't be any progress without impopular measures like this.

Nail<->head.

Big Kev

Loc: Sunny Shropshire
      #939736 - 09/09/11 11:55 AM
For what it's worth I complete agree with you Paul. I mentioned on a thread about a month ago that I was fuming that my 5-year old MacPro was now considered obsolete. I don't mean old, I mean obsolete (won't run the latest OS so therefore won't run the latest software, updates and before very long won't run the latest versions of Safari with security fixes etc). All the brain washed followers basically said roll with it and chuck it out! If I wanted a disposable computer I would go out and buy the cheapest PC from somewhere like Dixons and quite happily bin it and buy something new every 3-4 years. I don't see investing around £2K on a 'disposable' Mac as an investment when they have that sort of shelf life. Macs used to be an investment.

I have bought (many) Macs in the past because of the long term reliability and support. I think they are getting greedy on the assumption that as people regularly upgrade their iPods and iPhones, professionals will happily upgrade their MacPro's etc just as often. The only way forward for me at the moment is to not update anything and try not to read reviews about new software that I simply can't have because it won't run on my ancient MacPro Quad! (I have already seen software specs requiring Lion).

As a business I can't blame them for trying to fleece as much cash from people as possible while they still can and before they become unfashionable again (c'mon it's only a matter of time before kids don't want iPods because that's what they're parents have)! I just think people are starting to see through it. This is even before Logic X or whatever is inevitably announced.

If Apple where such a forward thinking company they would be able to release products that simply worked without hassle. Oh that's right they used to do that didn't they!

I agree that the world needs to progress, but people with expensive kit being told they're 5-year old equipment is now considered too out of date to support is a bit much. I suppose if we're all daft enough to go along with it then they'll carry on.

(I went on my friends PC the other which was running Windows 7 and you know it actually seemed rather nice. Although I never admitted it at the time! I still shudder when I hear the old Windows start up sound but I may just go back and have another look - just out of curiosity you understand)!!!

--------------------
I met a strange lady, she made me nervous; she took me in and gave me breakfast

johnny h

Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: Big Kev]
      #939739 - 09/09/11 12:08 PM
Quote Big Kev:

For what it's worth I complete agree with you Paul. I mentioned on a thread about a month ago that I was fuming that my 5-year old MacPro was now considered obsolete. I don't mean old, I mean obsolete (won't run the latest OS so therefore won't run the latest software, updates and before very long won't run the latest versions of Safari with security fixes etc). All the brain washed followers basically said roll with it and chuck it out! If I wanted a disposable computer I would go out and buy the cheapest PC from somewhere like Dixons and quite happily bin it and buy something new every 3-4 years. I don't see investing around £2K on a 'disposable' Mac as an investment when they have that sort of shelf life. Macs used to be an investment.

I have bought (many) Macs in the past because of the long term reliability and support. I think they are getting greedy on the assumption that as people regularly upgrade their iPods and iPhones, professionals will happily upgrade their MacPro's etc just as often. The only way forward for me at the moment is to not update anything and try not to read reviews about new software that I simply can't have because it won't run on my ancient MacPro Quad! (I have already seen software specs requiring Lion).

As a business I can't blame them for trying to fleece as much cash from people as possible while they still can and before they become unfashionable again (c'mon it's only a matter of time before kids don't want iPods because that's what they're parents have)! I just think people are starting to see through it. This is even before Logic X or whatever is inevitably announced.

If Apple where such a forward thinking company they would be able to release products that simply worked without hassle. Oh that's right they used to do that didn't they!

I agree that the world needs to progress, but people with expensive kit being told they're 5-year old equipment is now considered too out of date to support is a bit much. I suppose if we're all daft enough to go along with it then they'll carry on.

(I went on my friends PC the other which was running Windows 7 and you know it actually seemed rather nice. Although I never admitted it at the time! I still shudder when I hear the old Windows start up sound but I may just go back and have another look - just out of curiosity you understand)!!!

Sorry but its just not true. 5 years is a hell of a long time to have a computer. Apple discontinue OS updates because of hardware changes. They don't do it randomly, but because they need to upgrade their hardware to continue to progress.

It is not realistic to expect Apple to continue to code for PowerPC after all this time. You may not like it, but that's the way it is.

Trebor Flow

#939743 - 09/09/11 12:25 PM
I think the OP sum's up my feelings about Apple 2011.

I own an iMac (SL), iPad 2, iPod touch and even an iPhone .... I love the whole life style thing Apple offers - I use it as my creative and office nerve centre running Logic Pro as my musical sketch pad.

But much as I love OSX, I just can't afford the level of redundancy Apple expects me to accept.

There is no question that PC/Windows allows the user to lasso a much larger vintage of software and hardware within any given system.

So when I came to set up my new main rig, I built a PC with a motherboard that allowed me to install my two 7 years old UAD-1 cards an 8 year old RME host card plus new cards like the UAD-2 Quad and a a whole host of VI's and Plugins spanning almost 10 years!!

This all runs like a dream with Cubase 6 on Windows 7 64bit. 100% rock solid. Personally I think that's mighty impressive.

I looked at a new Mac Pro, and I'm sure the new SB versions will be wonderful, but even as a pro, I just can't justify this constant "just buy me again" philosophy at Apple.

And for the record, I'm not that keen on Windows as an OS, but it sure as heck makes excellent economic sense.

tf

desmond

Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: Trebor Flow]
      #939749 - 09/09/11 12:37 PM
Whilst I sympathise with the people owning PPC machines (and I'm one of them, so I was affected by this) - the reason Apple switching was that Freescale could simply no longer produce silicon with the level of performance that the rest of the industry (Intel/AMD) would achieving.

So, do we stick with PPC and have increasingly slower machines compared to the PC crowd, or bite the bullet and go through the pain of a transition? (which is painful for everyone, Apple and consumers alike).

So, they have retained PPC software support for some years after they ceased selling *any* PPC products, but sooner or later there comes a point where legacy support holds you back from doing newer, cooler things with newer architectures, which need to be done to support the new hardware coming down the pipe (eg full 64-bit support).

Now, admittedly, Apple are far quicker to go "Ah well, fudge 'em, kill it and move on" because they aspire to do better, whereas someone like Microsoft are the other way around - they are so handcuffed by their legacy users that they are almost paralysed to move forward in case of breaking something and pissing off their userbase. Apple willingly will piss of it's userbase, and then dangle new shinies in front of their faces knowing they'll probably get all "Want!" eventually.

It's the way Apple are, and have been for some time now - it's not like people don't know this.

You either buy into it, or you don't, and occasionally you get bitten by it, depending on various circumstances. It's annoying when it happens and it affects you, but it's the way it is. :shrugs: As John Gruber said (paraphrased), other companies are often afraid of taking risks and trying something new, whereas Apple are afraid of stagnation and *not* taking risks and trying something new. And that's what biting the Apple means to anymore more than the casual user.

MarcusH

Loc: Mumbai
Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: desmond]
      #939767 - 09/09/11 01:48 PM
Interesting what you just said Desmond, but can I ask you about an earlier post you made on this thread?

Quote desmond:

More problematic for me is that I'll lose my UAD stuff and all my UAD software investments which is a far bigger problem (I refuse now to rebuy the same (fairly pricey) UAD DSP four times in a row just to keep running the plugins I paid for, I've had enough. Love the plugins, hate the hardware tax to keep my software investment running)

I don't understand the "Four timesin a row ". (And I can't find anything on the website about this.) Doesn't even UAD2 work with Lion?

Marcus

--------------------
You live. You learn.

Edited by MarcusH (09/09/11 01:49 PM)

desmond

Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: MarcusH]
      #939771 - 09/09/11 01:57 PM
Quote MarcusH:

Doesn't even UAD2 work with Lion?

Sure it does.

Quote MarcusH:

I don't understand the "Four timesin a row ". (And I can't find anything on the website about this.)

It just relates to my situation. I've written about this elsewhere, and don't want to threadjack, but basically, I bought into the UAD platform with a UAD1 PCI card, and invested into a lot of the plugins (which I dearly love). Then I moved to a Mac Laptop system, and thus could no longer use the plugins I bought (there was no way to use the UAD1 PCI with a laptop).

Then they released the UAD Xpander, so I rebought the same UAD1 DSP in a new form, to be able to use my UAD plugins again. Then, as they phased out UAD1 plugin support and brought in the UAD2, I rebought UAD DSP again in the form of a UAD2 Solo/Laptop, which I'm currently using. When I buy my next computer, it will no longer have expresscard slots, and thus once again I will lose my UAD plugins unless I *again* rebuy UAD DSP for the fourth time in the form of a UAD2 Satellite. In short, as I upgrade my computing hardware, I've been pretty much forced into also upgrading UAD DSP in order to continue using the plugin licenses I bought (and UAD plugins are no longer regarded as "affordable" as they once were).

So, come the next computer, which isn't far away, I've already made the decision to not spend *another* grand just to be able to continue to use my UAD plugins, despite loving them, and will be transitioning away from the platform.

brucie

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #939777 - 09/09/11 02:11 PM
I think we are in interesting times. I think (especially given that this is the Mac Music forum) that we all love Apple dearly here. I use Final Cut Pro, Motion, Logic day in and day out at work and DP at home. I have a fantastically stable system which does enable music making with easy. (although have had horrendous problems with Presonus Drivers!!!! Arrrrghhhh!)

BUT and for me it is a big BUT.....when running a business you have to start making economic decisions, and in the past I think paying the extra for a stress free life with Apple was certainly worth it. BUT...times are certainly a changing, work is becoming much harder to source, rates are going down, and I have to start looking at cost savings. I am in a fortunate position as I also get to work with Adobe products and actually teach Premiere, after effect etc (in the video world) so I can switch without having to retrain...so a PC with windows 7 is starting to looks like a sensible 'economic' business decision. At the end of the day, they are just tools!

Of course Apple Mac's hold value, you get at least 3-4 years out of them, but with the FCP X fiasco, and as Paul mentioned the possibility of loosing support for plug-ins which you have brought not working in the future....well it makes you (well me!) think!!

The MacMini certainly is an economical choice as well.....interesting times!!

Erm sorry for the ramble, not sure I am making sense....but hey it's Friday!

Neil

--------------------
Neil S. Bruce - www.spencerbruce.com

MarcusH

#939784 - 09/09/11 02:26 PM
Quote desmond:

So, come the next computer, which isn't far away, I've already made the decision to not spend *another* grand just to be able to continue to use my UAD plugins, despite loving them, and will be transitioning away from the platform.

Mmm! I see what you mean. Bloody annoying! A couple of years ago I remember Steve Hill saying here that "My experience of UAD is it's the gift that keeps on giving. Registered users are given vouchers and discounts against more plug-ins every few weeks."

I'm sure that was true then, but now UAD seems like "the liability that keeps on taking".

Anyway sorry to go off-thread. Back to the original OP's points, I'm reminded of the saying, regarding Macs, that: The issue isn't what Macs can or cannot do - the issue is what Apple will or will not permit you to do.

I'm sure that it's hardwired into their corporate culture that they have to be this arrogate to compete - but as everyone outside the Apple village knows, that just ain't true.

--------------------
You live. You learn.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #939789 - 09/09/11 02:33 PM
I'm always bemused at the irrational mindset that most people have towards their computers, which is completely at odds with every other purchase they might nmake for their audio hobby (or almost anything else, actually).

If you buy an analogue mixing console, or a preamp, you do so because it does what you need it to do, and it will carry on doing that for a reasonable period of time after which it will fail or no longer meet your needs. No one expects to be able to do something more, or different, with the thing three years after purchase. It's just a tool that does a specific job and that's all there is to it.

And yet, when it comes to computers, people seem to expect it to do more over time just because of 'software updates' --even if those updates don't apply to the product they own! They seem to forget that they bought it to do a specific job, which it did and still does. Instead, they get upset when their three-year old technology isn't compatible with the latest technology.

If I had bought the original Jag XF with a 4.2 supercharged V8, I wouldn't expect to be able to install the latest 5.0 engine just because Jag has upgraded the latest version of the flagship car!

The same is true of the computer. Buy one that does what you need it to do. Use it. If it fails or no longer does what you need it to do, buy a new one. If upgrades come along that suit your original machine, that's a bonus, but that's all it is.

At the end of the day, the computer is just a tool to do a specific job. If the job chanegs you might need a new tool. If it doesn't, stop trying to change the shape of the tool!

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

desmond

#939794 - 09/09/11 02:48 PM
Quote MarcusH:

A couple of years ago I remember Steve Hill saying here that "My experience of UAD is it's the gift that keeps on giving. Registered users are given vouchers and discounts against more plug-ins every few weeks."

Sure, but today's UA are a lot more "slick corporate" than the old "your awesome pals that want to give you awesome tools" UA of a few years ago.

Quote MarcusH:

I'm sure that was true then, but now UAD seems like "the liability that keeps on taking".

Not really, their products are great, and my situation is particularly unfortunate - it's not UA's fault I want to go to a laptop system, for example, which gives me problems. But I can no longer spend $350 investing in an awesome plugin tool if that investment times out on a computer hardware change requiring me to inject another grand just to use the plugins I bought. At $50-$100 a plugin, it's probably justifiable to keep paying for the hardware, but when typical UA plugins are now $350 and pricey compared to native alternatives, adding in the cost of the cards themselves and they start pricing people out of the market. No complaints about the products, they are almost uniformly excellent, and I do like UA as a company - but I just can't do it anymore.

Quote MarcusH:

I'm sure that it's hardwired into their corporate culture that they have to be this arrogate to compete - but as everyone outside the Apple village knows, that just ain't true.

Apple are Apple, they make what they want to make, and a lot of the time, it is pretty good. It doesn't mean we have to like every decision or direction they take - after all, like most corporations, they are in it for what they can get, not the best interests of their users...

Paul Farrer

#939796 - 09/09/11 02:50 PM
Progress is good. Progress drives things forward but....

IBM chips have been used in Macs for a very long time. Apple have sold it to their customers and third party developers have supported it. How many macs are there globally that still in use PPC software? Quite a few. So for Apple to kill support for that format less than 5 years after they sold their last machine, with no obvious benefit to the OS is just needlessly mean. Let's remember we are talking about professional users here, not just people with iTunes libraries to update. What if you need to call up a song file or video editing session from 5 years ago? To a professional that kind of thing happens all the time and I'm surely not alone in wondering how much of my mac setup will simply be un-available to me in the new Lion world. How does that inspire professional customer confidence?

Let's carry the argument to the next stage. Apple announce that with MP3s being way more popular, smaller and more profitable to them than any other format, OS 10.8 will drop support for WAVs and AIFFs. Why not? Seems like a no-brainer to me. Are we going all going to just shrug and accept that as the price of progress as well?
Once again, I love Apple as a company and what they've given to the world is amazing, but to see such a smart giant dip its toes into the world of mass/appeal dumbing down is worrying to say the least.

MarcusH

#939800 - 09/09/11 03:03 PM
Oh wow! Fascinating topic but in my timezone it's Friday night and I'm going out to dinner with my wife. So forgive brevity but:

• Hugh yes you're right but the problem is that a 1960s U87 still works - but old computers don't

• Desmond - When you say Apple are Apple - that was exactly what I was complaining about. Indeed I can't change it - but I can criticise it. And let's be clear - organisations that listen to their customers' needs last longer than those that don't.

• Paul - yes basically you're right - though I might quibble the detail,

Over and out (for tonight)

Enjoy your Friday(s)!

M

--------------------
You live. You learn.

SOS Technical Editor

#939802 - 09/09/11 03:11 PM
Quote Paul Farrer:

I love Apple as a company and what they've given to the world is amazing, but to see such a smart giant dip its toes into the world of mass/appeal dumbing down is worrying to say the least.

Apple hasn't given anything to the world. They've sold it at exhorbitant prices. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not turn them into saints, underservedly, eh?

I agree that removing backwards compatibility is inevitably frustrating to a lot of users. But Apple's reputation is based heavily on its very strict control of hardware and software, minimising the possible combinations to an extremely small number of variations, and allowing them to be thoroughly tested and thus highly reliable (although definitely not 100% reliable, despite the claims of so many fanatics).

Maintaining backwards compatibility with obsolete hardware or OS features expands the amount of testing required and increases the likelihood of unreliability exponentially. Why would Apple want to risk its reputation and restrict development of new technologies just to satisfy a relatively small part of its established market?

It is amusing, though, that I am still able to run the an old Win 95 and several XP programs that I find useful and have never bothered to update (as well as an old DOS program) on my current MS operating system quite happily. Tee hee.

Hugh

--------------------

SOS Technical Editor

#939805 - 09/09/11 03:15 PM
Quote MarcusH:

• Hugh yes you're right but the problem is that a 1960s U87 still works - but old computers don't

Really? My previous generation PC is still providing a stirling service and it's seven years old now. It's underpowered and slow compared to my current office machine, but as a host for SADiE hardware it's doing the same job now, and just as well, as when I bought it. It will die one day, and then I'll replace it with something more modern and, probably more capable, just as I would with any other device.

hugh

--------------------

MarcusH

Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #939807 - 09/09/11 03:23 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Really? My previous generation PC is still providing a stirling service and it's seven years old now

Wife delayed so - just one last comment - LA2s and Neves and Neumans stuff last for decades, whereas the best computers only last a few years.

Sorry got to go

M

--------------------
You live. You learn.

Paul Farrer

#939809 - 09/09/11 03:28 PM
Correction...
There is no reason why computers can't last for a very long time. But the relentless drive of power hungry software drives the hardware forward. And I'm happy to accept this as the cost of doing business. But when time limits are put on the hardware and software of less than 5 years DEMANDING that you move forward, that makes me angry.

SOS Technical Editor

#939813 - 09/09/11 03:32 PM
Quote MarcusH:

LA2s and Neves and Neumans stuff last for decades, whereas the best computers only last a few years.

But that's my point. Do they? Is there fundamentally anything about them that makes them give up and die after a few years? That's not my experience.

I built a computer to run SADiE with a Radia DSP card about a decade ago. When I upgraded my system I loaned that machine to a collague. He's just returned it to me as he's now upgraded to something else, but it's still going strong, running windows 98 and working perfectly as a SADiE host. I can't plug the latest UAD2 card into it, and it would be rubbish running Reaper... but that's not what it was bought to do either.

Some may feel the need to change their computer after a few years because it's no longer 'up to date', but that's not the same thing as saying it a computer will only last a few years.

When it comes to a studio computer surely you buy it to perform a certain set of functions at that time. And it will continue to serve those functions until some part of the computer dies -- be it the PSU, or the hard drive or whatever.

The fact that it may not be able to perform new functions associated with the latest technology or software isn't relevant is it? No one buys something in the hope that it will do something different in five years time!

hugh

--------------------

SOS Technical Editor

#939815 - 09/09/11 03:39 PM
Quote Paul Farrer:

...the relentless drive of power hungry software drives the hardware forward. And I'm happy to accept this as the cost of doing business.

Absolutely. I agree completely.

Quote:

But when time limits are put on the hardware and software of less than 5 years DEMANDING that you move forward, that makes me angry.

Why is it demanding that you move forward? Your current software still allows you to create music just as it always did. If you want to expand your facilities you may need to change your tools. It has always been that way.

If you want to use more powerful software, is it not reasonable to expect you to buy more powerful hardware to support it?

The computer you bought previously still does what you bought it to do. It is surely unreasonable to expect it to do something now that it wasn't planned to cater for at the time you bought it?

I still don't really know where this mindset comes from that expects something purchased last year to work with something invented next year. Nothing else works that way.

I bought my plasma TV to watch the Freeview channels. It still does that very well. However, when Freesat was launched I didn't get grumpy because my TV couldn't access those channels. I didn't buy it to do that. If I want to watch FreeSat channels I'll need to buy a new TV, and I think that's fair enough.

hugh

--------------------

Jennifer Jones
Web Editor, Support & Social Media

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #939816 - 09/09/11 03:42 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Quote Paul Farrer:

...the relentless drive of power hungry software drives the hardware forward. And I'm happy to accept this as the cost of doing business.

Absolutely. I agree completely.

Quote:

But when time limits are put on the hardware and software of less than 5 years DEMANDING that you move forward, that makes me angry.

Why is it demanding that you move forward? Your current software still allows you to create music just as it always did. If you want to expand your facilities you may need to change your tools. It has always been that way.

If you want to use more powerful software, is it not reasonable to expect you to buy more powerful hardware to support it?

The computer you bought previously still does what you bought it to do. It is surely unreasonable to expect it to do something now that it wasn't planned to cater for at the time you bought it?

I still don't really know where this mindset comes from that expects something purchased last year to work with something invented next year. Nothing else works that way.

I bought my plasma TV to watch the Freeview channels. It still does that very well. However, when Freesat was launched I didn't get grumpy because my TV couldn't access those channels. I didn't buy it to do that. If I want to watch FreeSat channels I'll need to buy a new TV, and I think that's fair enough.

hugh

You mean I won't be able to watch 3D movies on my HD telly! nowai!!!

--------------------
SOS Web Editor, Support & Social Media
Friend SOS on Facebook | Follow SOS on Twitter

Paul Farrer

Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: Jennifer Jones]
      #939821 - 09/09/11 03:48 PM
Hugh ''The computer you bought previously still does what you bought it to do. It is surely unreasonable to expect it to do something now that it wasn't planned to cater for at the time you bought it? ''

It's the exact opposite of that argument. I'm happy with the new hardware I bough doing a similar or perhaps slightly faster version of what it always did. What I object to is the fact that my old (4 years old) computer died, and what I replace it with will NOT ALLOW me to do the same job. I must accept the non-function of any number of my software programmes as the cost of moving to a newer machine.

SOS Technical Editor

#939825 - 09/09/11 03:56 PM
Quote Paul Farrer:

What I object to is the fact that my old (4 years old) computer died, and what I replace it with will NOT ALLOW me to do the same job.

I appreciate that. The thread has diverged into debating both sides of the coin and I've been contributing to both sides!

As I said earlier, I agree it's a huge frustration, but I think it's part of the price to pay for Apple's legendary stability. From the company's point of view, maintaining extensive backwards compatibility for both hardware and software is likely to degrade future reliability (and limit ongoing sales of updated software). It doesn't surprise me that you find yourself in the position you have.

Conversely, Microsofts history of maintaining pretty extensive backwards compatibility for hardware and software has casued extensive reliability issues...

You pays yer money and takes yer choice...

hugh

--------------------

Kwackman

Loc: Belfast
      #939829 - 09/09/11 04:29 PM
Quote Paul Farrer:

How many macs are there globally that still in use PPC software? Quite a few. So for Apple to kill support for that format less than 5 years after they sold their last machine, with no obvious benefit to the OS is just needlessly mean.

Apple stopping support doesn't mean those computers/programs suddenly stop working.
I use a MacPro now, but I also fired up my 7600 Powermac 2 weeks ago, it still runs Cubase, I still can make music on it.
Support for that OS (9 I think) and that version of Cubase (VST!) stopped a long, long time ago.
Yes, I fell for the shiny new MacPro and enjoy making music on it with all the new bells and whistles, but if Logic 9 and Cubase 6 (my current DAWs) were dropped from production tomorrow, and even if Apple decided not to make computers anymore, my MacPro will still allow me to make music.
I see your point on the backwards compatibility argument- my solution was to keep my old 7600 and export stuff out in a format that the MacPro will cope with. Not sure if that type of thing would work for you.

EDIT>>
Sorry Paul, just seen this...
Quote Paul Farrer:

What I object to is the fact that my old (4 years old) computer died, and what I replace it with will NOT ALLOW me to do the same job.

That's a pain, only 4 years old. Don't suppose they are cheap enough 2nd hand to just replace it with similar vintage?

--------------------
Cubase, guitars.

Edited by Kwackman (09/09/11 04:32 PM)

Paul Farrer

#939832 - 09/09/11 05:06 PM
Thanks for the tips.

But Lion not running any PPC programmes on a computer that can run Snow Leopard perfectly but has been chipped to forbid it, is about as firm an indication of 'not supporting' as I can imagine. Maybe the mac-mini is not considered 'pro' enough to bother with backwards compatibility (and that's not an entirely unreasonable argument) but the acid test for me will be the next generation of Mac Pros. If they are Lion only, and won't boot off Snow Leopard disks then as far as I'm concerned that is Apple hating its pro customers. Plain and simple.

desmond

#939836 - 09/09/11 05:56 PM
Maybe there are technical reasons why it's not possible, or at least cost prohibitive, to keep PPC support alive in Lion. It could be that various underpinning architectures would require an extra development effort making it not cost effective to support.

Or it could be that supporting PPC meant that the software couldn't be architected to make full use of more modern hardware (annoying people with recent machines where their machines were not being exploited properly). Swings and roundabouts.

If you really don't want to move forward, perhaps you'd be better off with a like for like second hand replacement machine - shouldn't cost the earth as PPC machines are less valuable now they are supported, and it will keep running your current setup for some more years.

Sooner or later though, you'll have to move forward if you want to take advantage of modern software developments, and if you don't gradually move forward now, the pain of making the giant leap forward will probably be greater...

Personally, the increase in power made the transition from PPC to Intel more beneficial to me in the long run - and yes, I did lose some plugins along the way that I liked... but, oh well, it's not the end of the world. We still have it way better than we did when I started, so it seems churlish to complain, sometimes...

chris...

#939838 - 09/09/11 06:06 PM
Quote Paul Farrer:

What I object to is the fact that my old (4 years old) computer died, and what I replace it with will NOT ALLOW me to do the same job. I must accept the non-function of any number of my software programmes as the cost of moving to a newer machine.

(Wiki recons PowerMac G5 discontinued 7th Aug 2006 - five years ago by my (probably wrong) arithmetic).

Considering the system as a whole, if you buy a new computer, you'll need new software too. That is, updating your existing software. Sadly some of it (e.g Virtual Guitarist) is no longer available or supported. But for that I'm afraid I blame the software vendors (e.g Steinberg) at least as much as Apple.

chris...

#939839 - 09/09/11 06:09 PM
Quote Paul Farrer:

a computer that can run Snow Leopard perfectly but has been chipped to forbid it, is about as firm an indication of 'not supporting' as I can imagine.

Your new Mac mini has new hardware, which needs new drivers to be integrated into the Operating System.

Apple take the business decision not to expend resource integrating these new drivers into old Operating Systems (e.g Snow Leopard).

Note that they very much do continue to update Snow Leopard, for the benefit of those using it - not least for security updates.

chris...

#939842 - 09/09/11 06:29 PM
I think there is a DIFFERENT scenario when Apple release a new major OS version, without releasing new Macs. Here, some people have claimed that Mac model X, bought after the new OS drops, is "chipped" such that it won't run the old OS. This despite it being ostensibly identical to Mac model X bought one week earlier.

I would agree this would be irritating. But I've never managed myself to confirm or deny whether this actually happens...

But it's not your current situation - you have new hardware (Mac model Y).

MarcusH

#939843 - 09/09/11 06:30 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

[But that's my point. Do they? Is there fundamentally anything about them that makes them give up and die after a few years? That's not my experience.

Back from dinner!

Well I think we're drawing different conclusions from the same evidence - because you're saying how wonderfully your computer is doing after a decade - and I I'm saying that U87s, 1176s, 1073s , have lasted three or four decades.

The question you've got to ask is: is your computer still going to be working in 2030? because that's the kind of length of service the best hardware is delivering.

I appreciate many of the other arguments you make, but I believe the point still stands that even without Apple pulling the rug out, computers don't have the longevity of hardware.

Cheers

Marcus

--------------------
You live. You learn.

chris...

#939844 - 09/09/11 06:35 PM
Quote MarcusH:

is your computer still going to be working in 2030? because that's the kind of length of service the best hardware is delivering.

Maybe. Maybe not. But the sample-size is rather small, as most people choose to upgrade their computer more often than every 20 years. They lack the space and don't wish to pay the leccy bill to keep the old one running - just in order to answer your question...

Tui

#939878 - 09/09/11 11:31 PM
Quote desmond:

If you really don't want to move forward,

Being forced to abandon something that still works perfectly is not "moving forward". In my case, there are certain aspects of AppleWorks, for example, I have not found in any other programme I've come across.

The fact that Lion lacks Rosetta is a deal-breaker for me. I've got a bunch of small, yet useful, PPC programmes I wouldn't want to miss.

Rosetta worked perfectly until Lion came along. I just don't believe Apple was technologically challenged and couldn't figure out how to port Rosetta to Lion. That's not what happened.

chris...

#939888 - 10/09/11 05:11 AM
Quote Tui:

Rosetta worked perfectly until Lion came along

Ah, so you don't want them to pull the plug while it still works perfectly. The only way to achieve that is to drag it on into some future environment where it doesn't work perfectly. For better or worse, that's something Apple wishes to not do.

As for 5 years of PPC emulation on the Intel platform (2006-2011). A quick google suggests 68k code still ran in the OS9 "classic environment" available in OSX until end of PPC days. In which case we had around 12 years of 680x0 emulation on the PPC platform (1994-2006). Which yes, I guess is abit longer than 5...

But then again, talking of classic environment (OS9 emulation under OSX), I recall it was 2002 when Macs stopped being able to boot O9. Classic environment was supported until Intel Macs appeared in 2006. So that's only 4 years. No doubt this bit some people. At least we had Rosetta for 5 years.

turbodave

Loc: derbyshire uk
      #939894 - 10/09/11 07:35 AM
It would seem these changes are a surprise to some people here. One has to ask why?.....I think we have reached a point where we all like improvements and change , but when that change retrospectively diminishes the worth of a purchase, then a company has , in my opinion, lied through silence and lack of information.
There is an offer at the moment on a certain website that is combining exam books to save the consumer money. Nowhere on the website does it mention that these books will be obsolete next year. Should they mention this?
It is in the interest of big business to keep income streams going as long as possible, even if that means NOT communicating. Unfortunately our expectations of what is now acceptable has shifted and so these practises are not challenged as they should be.
Maybe consumers are driving change so much that in effect our purchases become increasingly worthless?
Dave

--------------------
My head hurts!

clisma

#939902 - 10/09/11 09:23 AM
Quote MarcusH:

The question you've got to ask is: is your computer still going to be working in 2030? because that's the kind of length of service the best hardware is delivering.

Marcus

Chiming in late here, but the above argument is unreasonable. If you know anything about the development of the microchip and today's industry, you'll realize that there are worlds of difference between how a classic mic, à la U87, is built and how a chipset is manufactured. If we had stayed with the hardware we had in 1985 (26 years ago, as an example) we would not be able to do half the things we do with a DAW today. It's just the rate at which this technology sector moves - always has.

The philosophy of Apple may be very inconvenient to some, it certainly has been to me in the past - BUT, every time I hung on to an older machine just to have access to older software, while having concurrently upgraded, I found fairly easy ways to replace those older programs on the new machine.

I think a fundamental result of these strategies is that they, while inconvenient, make the DAW environment better overall and potentially augment our workflow and output. (although one could argue that it's dumbing things down so much, that you don't really need to know jack about music any more. However, that's another topic.) I loved OS 10.3.9 and stayed on it for a long time due to its stability. But when I moved directly to 10.5, can't say I missed it. However, I did find that all the new features had significantly improved my workflow.

I'm with Hugh on our global expectations from computers. Why? Let's not forget that at least a computer allows you to easily replace a lot of its innards when they fail, provided they are still available. And for me, simply, if I don't want to upgrade, I don't. If something works for you, why change? Nobody is forcing you.

Last point: it has been mentioned but I really do believe that the developers aren't free of responsibility here. Remember when software used to be less than 1Mb? Sure, software does a lot more these days and we cannot circumvent the requirements in size and RAM that audio or video take up. But I do sometimes feel that the quality of programming doesn't match what I was working with on my old ATARI. Looks a like a catch 22.

--------------------
Just a piano and some sketch paper please...

Tui

#939920 - 10/09/11 12:25 PM
To me personally, the issue in this case is that Lion brings nothing to the table that would be particularly useful but removes features I rely upon. Rosetta is a biggie, so is Spaces which I find a great deal easier to use than the endless swiping orgy now on offer in Lion. According to benchmarks, on older machines (like mine, an 8-core Xeon 3GHz), Lion performs worse than Snow Leopard with respect to track counts in Logic and general number crunching. New machines that come with Lion pre-installed do not easily accept Snow Leopard, but if you manage to trick them into running it, they appear to perform even worse still.

So, what exactly is the incentive for upgrading to Lion?

. . . Delete This
Here be Dragons

#939922 - 10/09/11 01:26 PM
are you sitting down Tui?? Brace yourself....

i agree....

spent the day sorting out a clients shiny new lion only mac yesterday...

utter PITA.

i'd rather go W7 .

MarcusH

Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: clisma]
      #939923 - 10/09/11 01:34 PM
Quote clisma:

Quote MarcusH:

Chiming in late here, but the above argument is unreasonable. If you know anything about the development of the microchip and today's industry, you'll realize that there are worlds of difference between how a classic mic, à la U87, is built and how a chipset is manufactured. If we had stayed with the hardware we had in 1985 (26 years ago, as an example) we would not be able to do half the things we do with a DAW today.

I agree with most of your post - except for when you said my argument is unreasonable . Maybe you misunderstand which side of the debate I'm on.

I was not questioning or bemoaning the fact that good hardware lasts far longer than computers - I was just stating that fact.

Hugh was saying (I paraphrase) that the lifetime of computers can be considerably increased if you don't insist on upgrading all the time. He's right, but there are limits to how far you can do that; computers aren't U87s.

chris...

#939928 - 10/09/11 01:57 PM
Quote Tui:

so is Spaces which I find a great deal easier to use than the endless swiping orgy now on offer in Lion.

Yep - the mission control thing is one step forward, two steps back.

I almost always switch space/desktop with dedicated keystrokes (CMD1-CMD8), and this is fine in Lion. But I miss the menubar indication of which space is current

( if anyone knows a way to get it back, please shout )

clisma

#939945 - 10/09/11 03:47 PM
Quote MarcusH:

I agree with most of your post - except for when you said my argument is unreasonable . Maybe you misunderstand which side of the debate I'm on.

I was not questioning or bemoaning the fact that good hardware lasts far longer than computers - I was just stating that fact.

Hugh was saying (I paraphrase) that the lifetime of computers can be considerably increased if you don't insist on upgrading all the time. He's right, but there are limits to how far you can do that; computers aren't U87s.

Understood and agreed.

As far as my own plans with Lion are concerned, I think it may well be that I will go on in SL until the next major release, when I'll be likely forced to upgrade. My MacPro is very happily, and rock-solidly, running DP7 and Logic 9.1.5 on SL. This config should give me another two to three years easy.

--------------------
Just a piano and some sketch paper please...

desmond

Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: clisma]
      #939948 - 10/09/11 04:03 PM
There's no immediate draw or need to go Lion for me, so I won't at this time.

If my next machine requires it, I'll deal with the inevitable few software casualties then...

Tui

Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: . . . Delete This User . . .]
      #939973 - 10/09/11 06:51 PM
Quote Off duty BBQ lighter AKA Idris:

i'd rather go W7 .

Well, I've had such heretic thoughts, too. If only... Windows wasn't a much worse pile of junk (my apologies to the fans). No, really... I recently bought a Windows laptop for a relative, so I had a chance to play around with W7 a bit. Good God, what a mess that is. Just as chaotic as XP.

baward

#940071 - 11/09/11 11:15 AM
Thanks for the heads-up Paul F, this saved me wasting money on upgrading to Lion or buying a new computer.

Aftertouch

#940082 - 11/09/11 12:53 PM
What I think a lot of people are missing, is that companies have a development roadmap and this more often than not dictates what functionality will be dropped.

Microsoft dispite what people might see as it's faults are very good at publishing their development roadmaps many months and in some cases years in advance. For example, I was given access to Windows 7 betas an age before it was released.

Apple on the other hand play a blinder (pun intended) in keeping everyone guessing. This gets media editors in a frenzy with what Apple might do next. Just take a look at the column inches that have been devoted to the iPhone 5, a product that almost nobody is certain even exists!

As much as it frustrates some people using Macs professionally, these same people are the very same ones who have benefitted from the only mainstream PC manufacturer who is even remotely concerned with audio and video content creation.

In computing, the rules are simple. If you buy the newest computer, with a brand new operating system, you must expect issues. It's simply unrealistic to expect everything to just work.

Give the Lion a little time to settle down.

ken long

Loc: The Orient, East London
      #940090 - 11/09/11 02:12 PM
if you need to replace a dead machine with a something compatible with your older software, you could always buy the same generation machine. There are many still available (including new and refurb'd) precisely because everyone feels the need to move on.

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

hugol

Loc: London, UK
      #940114 - 11/09/11 06:32 PM
Must say I've had a very positive experience after throwing caution to the wind and updating my Mac Pro to Lion. I was expecting more issues - but aside from having to update a few plug-ins (e.g. Sound Toys) everything is working just great. Very happy overall.

johnny h

Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: hugol]
      #940137 - 11/09/11 08:52 PM
Quote hugol:

Must say I've had a very positive experience after throwing caution to the wind and updating my Mac Pro to Lion. I was expecting more issues - but aside from having to update a few plug-ins (e.g. Sound Toys) everything is working just great. Very happy overall.

Glass half full people tend to have less problems ...

stratquebec

Loc: Quebec/Canada
      #940168 - 11/09/11 11:52 PM
Personnaly I'll wait to see what Logic X has to offer before upgrading to Lion. And to me, to upgrade means to buy a new Mac so it means another important investment.

Presently, I'm more than happy with the 9.1.5/snow leopoard tandem and both are still supported by Apple so there's absolutly no benefits in upgrading right now.

--------------------

mmm

#940300 - 12/09/11 03:34 PM
Quote MarcusH:

Forgive me but I really don't think the comparison is valid: the Neumann has extremely limited functionality - and the tech standards / connections / etc. have been largely unchanged over this time.

I'm sure if you had well maintained 'vintage' computer it should be equally capable of performing it's original functions ...

--------------------
"that's what i think, anyway"

mmm

Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: mmm]
      #940302 - 12/09/11 03:36 PM
Ooops! Seems that I jumped the gun with my response as others have already covered this here ...

--------------------

electrotimba

Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: mmm]
      #940304 - 12/09/11 04:08 PM
Quote mmm:

well maintained 'vintage' computer it should be equally capable of performing it's original functions ...

Absolutely, well maintained Greek abacus will work today as efficiently as when Pythagoras was using it.

Paul Farrer

Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: electrotimba]
      #940317 - 12/09/11 05:17 PM
True, but if all your abacuses that you ran your business with broke and the biggest Abacus manufacturer who had cornered the market in pro-abacuses decided in the meantime to completely change the number and arrangement of beads and made it impossible to buy an older style abacus or re-calibrate or adjust all the new-style Abacus 10.7, you'd feel annoyed.
Even if they told you that the new style design and number of beads was much cooler and made it prettier and more aesthetically pleasing etc, you'd still moan.
In fact you might put on your toga, grab your sword and invade Crete.

ken long

Loc: The Orient, East London
      #940332 - 12/09/11 06:52 PM
Quote Paul Farrer:

Tmade it impossible to buy an older style abacus or re-calibrate or adjust all the new-style Abacus 10.7, you'd feel annoyed.

It's not impossible to buy the old style Abacus. And that's the point in all this. Many, many studios still use PPC G5s just fine, FFS. Exactly for the reasons you have described. There's a lot of options out there and worth doing the research - especially if your livelihood depends on it.

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

electrotimba

#940345 - 12/09/11 07:58 PM
Well, seriously, Mac users have much better cards due to the build quality. I know plenty of people using their 5-8 and more years old machines and use them "for this and that". You can get some in working condition, which in pc world is impossible , except desktops. The fact is that "regular people" would be fine with Macs or PC from even 10 years back for their Email and Facebook checking. I am truly grateful to those millions of people wasting their money on technology they do not need (though told the do!) thanks to them we pay 1-2 k for a computer that without them fools would have to cost 5 k or more

Gorrion

Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: electrotimba]
      #940595 - 13/09/11 07:55 PM
I'm using my Thinkpad T43 from - what - 2004? In fact, I had to when installing Lion failed. I'm back with Snow Leopard but I don't feel the Mac is reliable any more - and I resent all the time I've wasted on moving files back and forth, trying to reinstall etc. Previously I'd have said my Mac was bomb-proof, and I've happily used and recommended them for years (Powerbook 165c anyone?).

I won't try Lion again. In fact, unless things drastically improve at Apple my next music computer will be a Dell laptop.

mmm

#940807 - 14/09/11 05:30 PM
Quote Paul Farrer:

True, but if all your abacuses that you ran your business with broke and the biggest Abacus manufacturer who had cornered the market in pro-abacuses decided in the meantime to completely change the number and arrangement of beads and made it impossible to buy an older style abacus or re-calibrate or adjust all the new-style Abacus 10.7, you'd feel annoyed.
Even if they told you that the new style design and number of beads was much cooler and made it prettier and more aesthetically pleasing etc, you'd still moan.
In fact you might put on your toga, grab your sword and invade Crete.

I think you will find that the Abucus has in fact had several versions - and while I'm no abacist I'm pretty certain there would have been some pretty major compatibility / legacy issues for people moving from Sumerian to Roman for example ...

--------------------

Aftertouch

#940892 - 15/09/11 01:37 AM
Paul, looks like you might be able to either order a specific Snow disk for your mini, or have someone at an Apple store roll it back for you.

See here

See post #20

Paul Farrer

Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: Aftertouch]
      #940899 - 15/09/11 05:59 AM
Thanks for that. Yes I have a feeling that just like with the embarrassing Final Cut X debacle Apple will eventually be shamed into releasing an unlock to allow SL on the new Lion machines. It can't be difficult, in fact I've installed SL on a partition on the new Lion Mac Mini and it runs perfectly 'through' another Mac Pro in target mode. So in effect the Mac Pro became the world's most expensive software dongle for the mac mini. :-)
It just makes me worry about Apple that at some point, someone took the decision to intentionally lock SL out of the new machines and make the assumption that as long as Apple customers can update their iTunes library on their new OS, that's really all Apple should care about. That, along with the whole 'Launchpad'-ification of the OS makes it smell (from my entirely un-informed point of view) that this is a company about to ditch its interest in the Pro market. Logic X will be the final confirmation of this. If we see guitar tutorial videos built into Logic X that will just about wrap things up for Apple in my book.
And if that happens, I'm joining a folk band. Then they'll be sorry.

MarcusH

#940903 - 15/09/11 07:06 AM
Quote Paul Farrer:

It just makes me worry about Apple that at some point, someone took the decision to intentionally lock SL out of the new machines

It's the sheer arrogance and stupidity of forbidding users from doing something that the machine is perfectly capable of.

Quote Paul Farrer:

…. this is a company about to ditch its interest in the Pro market. Logic X will be the final confirmation of this. If we see guitar tutorial videos built into Logic X that will just about wrap things up for Apple in my book.

By the way Logic Studio and Logic Express 9 are "Staff Picks" on the Indian Apple Store site - so I guess they're trying to flog-off the old stock to some poor suckers before the Logic X arrives shortly.

Quote Paul Farrer:

And if that happens, I'm joining a folk band. Then they'll be sorry.

Yes. You could write folky protest songs with lyrics like "Where has all the pro stuff gone?" and "The answer my friend, is on the Apps Store site.."

Marcus

--------------------
You live. You learn.

hugol

Loc: London, UK
Re: Notes From The DreadLion new [Re: johnny h]
      #941106 - 15/09/11 10:37 PM
Quote johnny h:

Quote hugol:

Glass half full people tend to have less problems ...

I think that's meant as a compliment - so thanks. Actually I lead a global development/engineering team so I'm actually a fussy b*st*rd - and attention to detail matters - but maybe I've been lucky as I just haven't experienced any significant issues with my Lion upgrade.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 20928

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media