--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
ken long

Loc: The Orient, East London
Re: New iPad new [Re: John Willett]
      #974634 - 07/03/12 09:34 PM
to remote control that Nagra VI, no doubt.

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

ConcertinaChap

Loc: Bradford on Avon
Re: New iPad new [Re: ken long]
      #974635 - 07/03/12 09:41 PM
If I get anything it'll be a Raspberry Pi. That thing's got geek chic like nothing I've seen these 20 years gone. I hear it calling me ...

CC

--------------------
Somehow the future isn't what it used to be.
Mr Punch's Studio

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #974636 - 07/03/12 09:43 PM
I'm with you Ken.

And is it me, or is there so little practical difference between the iPad 2 and 3 that I'm thinking "big deal"?

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Richard Graham

Loc: Gateshead, UK
      #974638 - 07/03/12 10:01 PM
If i didn't already have the 2 I'd be buying the three... Retina display and decent camera are significant upgrades but not enough to tempt me. The iPad rules.

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

~Paul

Loc: South Herts/North London
Re: New iPad new [Re: The Elf]
      #974640 - 07/03/12 10:11 PM
Quote The Elf:

And is it me, or is there so little practical difference between the iPad 2 and 3 that I'm thinking "big deal"?

Apart from that much improved screen? Oh, and the much improved camera? And lets not forget the much beefier 4 core CPU.
Sure, not much practical difference at all..

--------------------
Paul

Bossman

Loc: UK
Re: New iPad new [Re: ~Paul]
      #974644 - 07/03/12 10:23 PM
Quote ~Paul:

And lets not forget the much beefier 4 core CPU....

actually its a dual core CPU, with a quad core GPU built into the same chip.

Quote apple:

Dual-core Apple A5X custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip with quad-core graphics

--------------------
www.Lozjackson.com

ken long

#974646 - 07/03/12 10:26 PM
I think this will be a debate between the haves and have nots (ipad owners)!

I'm sure if I owned one, I would also see the benefit.

But, I can't see it bringing me anything other than convenience.

I still enjoy step sequencing...

Edited by ken long (07/03/12 10:27 PM)

Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
      #974648 - 07/03/12 10:44 PM
Still only a dual core cpu ... according to the tech specs. Quad core gpu ...

Nice .. but I'm not sad I bought a 2 and it's fine for my needs. ho hum..

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#974653 - 07/03/12 11:55 PM
I can't see what was wrong with the Etch-A-Sketch.

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #974657 - 08/03/12 12:44 AM
Quote ken long:

Yes, I was skeptical to begin with and got one in the end to drive my Presonus digital desk (read justifiable excuse here) but I have to say its now what I use for most browsing, emails, (basic) room analysis, diary, live sound playback, reminders, contacts, reading Sound On Sound, in other words it's fully integrated into my work flow.

When I tour I only take the iPad with me now as I have all my desktop files synced over SugarSync.

Not much point in upgrading from iPad 2 to 3 except Siri can be a time saver.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

~Paul

Loc: South Herts/North London
      #974661 - 08/03/12 01:49 AM
2 core, 4 core, 6 core!? It is supposedly 4 times faster than an iPad 2. So still hugely more oomph.. And speaking of the iPad 2.. You can still buy them, and they start at a mere £330 now. Which seems like a pretty good deal to me, if the added benefits of the iPad 3 don't jam your donut..

--------------------
Paul

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: New iPad new [Re: Bob Bickerton]
      #974670 - 08/03/12 05:54 AM
Quote Bob Bickerton:

Quote ken long:

Yes, I was skeptical to begin with and got one in the end to drive my Presonus digital desk (read justifiable excuse here) but I have to say its now what I use for most browsing, emails, (basic) room analysis, diary, live sound playback, reminders, contacts, reading Sound On Sound, in other words it's fully integrated into my work flow.

When I tour I only take the iPad with me now as I have all my desktop files synced over SugarSync.

Not much point in upgrading from iPad 2 to 3 except Siri can be a time saver.

Bob

You was robbed My ageing laptop can do all that and a whole lot more.

Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
      #974676 - 08/03/12 08:34 AM
yes, but his iPad is light, easy to carry and hold, pleasant to look at and can go more than a couple of hours without needing a recharge...

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

feline1

Loc: Brighton, UK
Re: New iPad new [Re: ]
      #974702 - 08/03/12 10:35 AM
Quote J.A.S:

I can't see what was wrong with the Etch-A-Sketch.

lol

What is a 'retina display'? I have seen this term bandied about all over the media, without any explanation whatsoever. This generally means nobody has a clue what it is, but is to embarrassed to ask.

I like to think it's made of real retinas, gouged out of lamb's eyeballs in slaughterhouses.

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: New iPad new [Re: feline1]
      #974707 - 08/03/12 10:45 AM
It's a typically 'hip' Apple marketing term for what is, in reality, nothing more than a high-definition display screen.

The 'retina' screens have a pixel density of 326 pixels per inch -- which is quite a lot -- and that means that at the typical (relatively close) screen viewing distances associated with things like smartphones and tablets, the human eye is unable to perceive individual pixels. The result is that the displayed image appears to be as sharp and 'real' as if you were looking at a real object, rather than a displayed image.

All next generation tablets and smart phones will have the same resolution displays because that's where display technology is heading.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Scramble

#974708 - 08/03/12 10:45 AM
Apparently it's not that much faster than the iPad 2 because so much of the extra power goes into handling the display.

ConcertinaChap

Loc: Bradford on Avon
Re: New iPad new [Re: feline1]
      #974710 - 08/03/12 10:46 AM
Quote feline1:

I like to think it's made of real retinas, gouged out of lamb's eyeballs in slaughterhouses.

The screen that looks right back at you? SFAIK it's a marketing term that doesn't mean anything, that is to say Apple want it to mean unusually high resolution, but there's nothing in the name to suggest it should.

CC

--------------------
Somehow the future isn't what it used to be.
Mr Punch's Studio

johnny h

Re: New iPad new [Re: ConcertinaChap]
      #974737 - 08/03/12 12:38 PM
Quote ConcertinaChap:

Quote feline1:

The screen that looks right back at you? SFAIK it's a marketing term that doesn't mean anything, that is to say Apple want it to mean unusually high resolution, but there's nothing in the name to suggest it should.

CC

The idea behind the 'retina' display, as Hugh has pointed out, is that it is designed the same resolution as the retina in your eye. The retina cannot make out any greater detail. Its quite an achievement.

SOS Technical Editor

Re: New iPad new [Re: johnny h]
      #974745 - 08/03/12 12:55 PM
Quote johnny h:

The idea behind the 'retina' display, as Hugh has pointed out, is that it is designed the same resolution as the retina in your eye. The retina cannot make out any greater detail.

That's not quite what I said, and isn't actually accurate! The 'retina display' uses pixels that are so small and closely packed that the average human eye can't perceive them as separate dots of light when the screen is held at a typical viewing distance. If you get (much) closer to the screen it is still possible to distinguish individual pixels.

The resolution is not the same as the human eye... the resolution of the human eye is unable to perceive individual pixels when it is used at the intended distance! It's a subtle but important distinction.

It'a all about the 'circles of confusion':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_confusion

The same concept is what defines the optimal size of TV screen for a given viewing distance and TV format. For example, the line structure of a 42 inch standard definition screen viewed from about 12 feet is imperceptible, and replacing it with a 42 inch HD screen at the same distane would produce no visible improvement because the eye is simply unable to perceive any greater detail!

hugh

--------------------

feline1

#974752 - 08/03/12 01:28 PM
I'd just like to make Hugh spit out his lunch by nodding and going "Ah, yes, that's like CDs, isn't it? The sound is split up into 44,100 samples, which are so small that your ear can't hear the joins and so it sounds smooth like vinyl".

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

feline1

#974754 - 08/03/12 01:32 PM
In any case, a retina display doesn't sound particularly relevant to the main thing I'd want to use an eyepad for: namely, being a touch-screen controller for programming soft-synths and knobs hardware devices.
For that, I just want a BIGGER tablet size (and more touch-sensitivity resolution). Or smaller fingers. (i.e. I'm assuming the touch resolution doesn't mater the retina display resolution? And even if it did, that would be kinda pointless, as your eye would be unable to see the difference in the position of your finger. Or something).

--------------------

Bob Bickerton

#974816 - 08/03/12 08:06 PM
Horray! My iPad 2 has a retina display!

When I take my glasses off I can't see the pixels either!

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Chaconne

Loc: Oxford
      #974820 - 08/03/12 08:33 PM
What I really need is a small underpowered computer, preferbaly one without a keyboard or easy way to connect any of the interfaces I have. Hopefully it wont be up to running any of the DAW's I like or burning data onto a DVD. Perhaps though, it could be so slim and good looking that I would overlook its flaws and waste most of my day on it, cooing over its pert 8 track sequencer and pretty display - instead of doing real work.

Is there such a machine?

--------------------

SOS Technical Editor

Re: New iPad new [Re: Chaconne]
      #974821 - 08/03/12 08:46 PM

Hugh

--------------------

Gary M
Audio Technica

Loc: Northwood, London
      #974823 - 08/03/12 08:58 PM
Quote Chaconne:

What I really need is a small underpowered computer, preferbaly one without a keyboard or easy way to connect any of the interfaces I have. Hopefully it wont be up to running any of the DAW's I like or burning data onto a DVD. Perhaps though, it could be so slim and good looking that I would overlook its flaws and waste most of my day on it, cooing over its pert 8 track sequencer and pretty display - instead of doing real work.

Is there such a machine?

Couldn't disagree more. Sure an iPad isn't going to take over from your power mac or hi spec pc for daw use but it is an unbelievable tool that until you own one you don't realise how many tasks it will take over. I very rarely use my laptop for browsing web, all emails get done on iPad, note taking, calendar appointments, lots of music apps for playing with. I only ever visit the sound on sound forums using the iPad these days. You tube means a complete new thing to what it is on laptop, so does Facebook. Honestly it has its sceptics but until you have one and use it you really do not have a clue how it takes over tasks you originally carried out on a desk top or laptop.

New iPad 3?

Well they couldn't go without updating it, personally I wouldn't up grade from my iPad3 but then I probably could have said he same about the iPad1 to ipad2 update. The price has not been increased and he ipad2 has dropped in price. Seems quite logical and like normal business to me. Do like the dictation function tough, that would be great for emails I would imagine.

vinyl_junkie

Loc: Kent, UK
      #974824 - 08/03/12 09:00 PM
Quote Chaconne:

Is there such a machine?

Couldn't agree more. I find it idiotic when people buy an ipad just for the Animoog app hahahah for that money you can buy a real moog and it's not made by 12yr olds in slave camps let alone probs last longer than what is a pointless electronic device that gets out dated every year and ends up in landfill

Edited by vinyl_junkie (08/03/12 09:09 PM)

Gary M
Audio Technica

Loc: Northwood, London
Re: New iPad new [Re: vinyl_junkie]
      #974827 - 08/03/12 09:13 PM
Quote vinyl_junkie:

Quote Chaconne:

Is there such a machine?

Couldn't agree more. I find it idiotic when people buy an ipad just for the Animoog app hahahah for that money you can buy a real moog and it's not made by 12yr olds in slave camps let alone probs last longer.

Well lets look at a real world application of one. The ilive mixing desks allow you to control pretty much all parameters of the desk using an iPad. This allows you to go to the middle of the arena or venue you are playing and sort out your sound from the perspective of the listener, you can also carry out your belling out of he venue ect... If the desk goes down the iPad that you have sitting to the side can save the day with mixing (not ideal but a life saver). On stage the performers can use one to adjust their own monitor mix without effecting or even having the controls of any of the other band members or mixers functions. You mention 1 app, the problem with the iPad is there are so many apps it's hard to keep up with them, check out node beat hd that has now just added midi over wifi functionality, new ways have been created for controlling things, check out sound prism. I agree that it would be mental to buy an iPad for one app but no one in the right mind would do this, there are thousands of apps and you would find the space on your iPad soon eaten up with all of them. I didn't need one but when I found the excuse to get myself one I'm so chuffed I got one now. Completely changed my daily work flow, not just an oversized iPhone, believe me.

Scouser

#974832 - 08/03/12 09:40 PM
I had great intentions of using my original ipad 1 in my music set up. I hoped that it would be ideal for controlling some of the plugins etc, as well as i decent control surface. However it doesn't compare to my trusty alphatrack, or control any of my plugins..

Wouldn't dream of upgrading.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/joekmurphy

onesecondglance

Loc: Reading, UK
      #974835 - 08/03/12 10:08 PM
my only comment on "the new iPad" is that they're going to wish they gave it a different name in six months time.

--------------------
hourglass | random thoughts | doubledotdash!? collective

ken long

Re: New iPad new [Re: Gary M]
      #974836 - 08/03/12 10:08 PM
Quote Gary M:

has now just added midi over wifi functionality

wait...

what?

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

Richard Graham

Re: New iPad new [Re: vinyl_junkie]
      #974840 - 08/03/12 10:26 PM
Quote vinyl_junkie:

I find it idiotic when people buy an ipad just for the Animoog app hahahah for that money you can buy a real moog and it's not made by 12yr olds in slave camps let alone probs last longer than what is a pointless electronic device that gets out dated every year and ends up in landfill

Since you bring it up, arent iPads made by Foxconn, who also make motherboards for pretty much every other kind of personal computer: I take it you writing your snooty tosh on an ethically sourced non-slave labour computing device that will last 100 years before being recycled as a cure for malaria - please tell me where i can get one?

I dont think Foxconn employ 12 year olds either.

And finally, since when could you buy a Moog for £400?

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

ken long

#974841 - 08/03/12 10:29 PM
well, not £400 but £489...

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

Richard Graham

#974842 - 08/03/12 10:32 PM
Quote ~Paul:

Quote The Elf:

Apart from that much improved screen? Oh, and the much improved camera? And lets not forget the much beefier 4 core CPU.
Sure, not much practical difference at all..

He is right though: i cant see the screen and camera making any difference at all in terms of how the iPad is used, or what it is useful for. The processor, maybe a little: Garageband would spend less time "optimising".

--------------------

Richard Graham

#974843 - 08/03/12 10:41 PM
Quote ken long:

well, not £400 but £489...

Good try, but it is £160 more than an iPad 2, and it doesnt have a keyboard, is not polyphonic or anything like as sophisticated as Animoog.

Also, how does one browse the net, read ebooks, play Call of Cthulhu: the Wasted Land etc. on it?

--------------------

Richard Graham

#974846 - 08/03/12 10:57 PM
Quote Chaconne:

Is there such a machine?

What I really need is a huge power-hungry lump that sits under a table gathering dust and connects to god knows how many other devices with a myriad tangly cables, requires all kinds of maintenance and license-related rigmarole, takes a couple of minutes to be ready to work on, has numerous fans that go whirrrr, a psu that gradually coats itself with grime, and is totally over-specced for everything except running hundreds of plug-ins, each of which is pretending to be some kind of vintage instrument or processor so I can pretend its really 1973.

Sadly, the lump of which I speak is currently broken, pending me installing a replacement motherboard. Not to worry, I'm not missing it much to be honest.

--------------------

ken long

Re: New iPad new [Re: Richard Graham]
      #974849 - 08/03/12 11:12 PM
Quote Richard Graham:

Simply replying to your question.

Quote Richard Graham:

Good try, but it is £160 more than an iPad 2, and it doesnt have a keyboard, is not polyphonic or anything like as sophisticated as Animoog.
Also, how does one browse the net, read ebooks, play Call of Cthulhu: the Wasted Land etc. on it?

Since when does a Moog do all those things?

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

Bob Bickerton

#974855 - 09/03/12 12:41 AM
Ken's earlier comment rings true, it's have and have nots debate.

The iPad is not a substitute for a PC - it's an different device which can do some of the same things, can't do certain things and can do certain things that a PC either can't do or is cumbersome for.

Arguing it is better or worse than a PC is nonsense. If it suits your work flow then it's a useful tool - that's all.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Richard Graham

#974864 - 09/03/12 07:42 AM
Quote ken long:

Quote Richard Graham:

Simply replying to your question.

Indeed, indeed... No offence meant. To be fair though, you have kind of confirmed that you *can't* actually get a hardware Moog for the same price as an iPad... which I think was what the other fella was claiming.

As for not being a "real" Moog, well... I know what you guys mean (i.e. it isnt made of timber and wires and pots and capacitors), but Animoog is a synthesiser and it was developed by Moog, so it is to that extent a real Moog synthesiser... albiet one that uses software to do its thing. It's Moog's first fully digital synth.

So really now Ive thought about it, the answer to my question would be "you have been able to get a real Moog synthesiser for £400 since they released Animoog".

Have you played one?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *
Thread views: 16810

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media