Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Gmartin58

MacBook Pro and heat
      #1000034 - 27/07/12 12:25 AM
I am wanting to use a MacBook Pro with Apple's Mainstage 2 to drive my keyboards for live performance. My concern is during outdoor performances where I live it can get pretty hot and not sure if the MacBook can take the heat without shutting down. I already have issues with heat and my iPad which I use for sheet music.

USB can only run about 16 feet so getting the Mac off the stage under cover would be difficult.

Any of you have solutions to my situation? Similar setups? Any thoughts are welcome. Cheers!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
_ Six _

Re: MacBook Pro and heat new [Re: Gmartin58]
      #1000040 - 27/07/12 12:55 AM
Use a hardware alternative? I considered using a MacBookPro on stage but soon went off the idea because of the potential for an expensive and embarrassing disaster.

Gmartin58

#1000044 - 27/07/12 01:25 AM
I currently use a Roland Fantom and a Korg TR but am not happy with the quality of the sounds. Wanted to use some of the outstanding VST/AU plug ins.

seablade

#1000046 - 27/07/12 01:39 AM
Quote Gmartin58:

I am wanting to use a MacBook Pro with Apple's Mainstage 2 to drive my keyboards for live performance. My concern is during outdoor performances where I live it can get pretty hot and not sure if the MacBook can take the heat without shutting down. I already have issues with heat and my iPad which I use for sheet music.

USB can only run about 16 feet so getting the Mac off the stage under cover would be difficult.

Any of you have solutions to my situation? Similar setups? Any thoughts are welcome. Cheers!

I have used a powerbook (Long predecessor to the MBP) outdoors for a full summer without issue in heat. Not direct sunlight mind you, just hot outdoors. I have yet to have any problems with my MBP[s] in such a situation either though haven't done full summers of every day with them in that situation.

Also there are solutions to extend USB, monitors, etc. to hundreds of feet off if needed. Though to be honest I am not sure I would trust them for something that needed as low latency as you would need for this. On the other hand, you can run MIDI for hundreds of feet without issue on the proper cable, so I would almost wonder why you wouldn't just run your MIDI cable from your controller to the computer elsewhere, and run the monitor back if needed, possibly with a usb extender for control if needed.

Of course just using a standalone unit is always going to be more dependable, but you can get setups like this working very stably if you prepare enough.

Seablade

Gmartin58

#1000047 - 27/07/12 01:57 AM
Thanks for that. I'm new to this concept. I come from the days of using a real B3 and a real Rhodes and real mini-Moog.

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
      #1000072 - 27/07/12 08:33 AM
Smc fanControl works very well. I find that otherwise my MBP gets a bit too hot.

--------------------
Next on with Pembrokeshire Intimate Gigs

desmond

Re: MacBook Pro and heat new [Re: Guy Johnson]
      #1000077 - 27/07/12 08:53 AM
+1 for smcFanControl.

Also, you could always use an external desktop fan blowing on the laptop (with the laptop raised off it's lower surface). This is usually sufficient to keep it running nice and cool even while under some load...

buggymusic

Re: MacBook Pro and heat new [Re: desmond]
      #1000090 - 27/07/12 09:24 AM

I have used a macbook pro on live keys for 3-4 years

tips
(1) only turn it on just before you need it
(2) shut down at half time
(3) always keep lid open
(4) put something underneath (I use a neoprene cover)

note: you can get a gadget with extra cooling that runs off usb to go underneath

Gmartin58

#1000513 - 30/07/12 05:00 AM
Thanks all. Much appreciated.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2544

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media